ADVERTISEMENT

Black pants!

Mar 1, 2007
looks like Marshall added black pants to the rotation this year! (Herdzone leaked it on Snapchat) I have a feeling they will bust them out for a black out game vs WKU!!!

Reactions: DeHerd
They look pretty good IMHO. I hope they burned last year's uniforms and all the game tapes. Let there be no reference to the fact they fielded a team last year.

Black is NOT one of MU's school colors. The school colors are Kelly Green and White. Period. The printing office has a 20 page guide for the entire University which has specific rules. And yes, it has a colors page that includes "black". It also includes several shades of brown for drawings of Marco, and several other colors for drawing of buildings and colors associated with particular majors, that does NOT make any of those our school colors. The school colors are Kelly Green and White. Period.

Now as to the black uniforms. Hate 'em. Hate when UK football wears grey and blue. Hate when WVU's drunkassed coach wears Raiders colors or when it wears grey or black. Hate when Virginia Tech wears gray and black. Hate it when Tennessee wears black.

Teams should not wear black unless it is one of their colors like Wake Forest, Western Kentucky, or Colorado.

Black is NOT one of MU's school colors. The school colors are Kelly Green and White. Period. The printing office has a 20 page guide for the entire University which has specific rules. And yes, it has a colors page that includes "black". It also includes several shades of brown for drawings of Marco, and several other colors for drawing of buildings and colors associated with particular majors, that does NOT make any of those our school colors. The school colors are Kelly Green and White. Period.

Now as to the black uniforms. Hate 'em. Hate when UK football wears grey and blue. Hate when WVU's drunkassed coach wears Raiders colors or when it wears grey or black. Hate when Virginia Tech wears gray and black. Hate it when Tennessee wears black.

Teams should not wear black unless it is one of their colors like Wake Forest, Western Kentucky, or Colorado.

could you be more specific on the drunkass wvu coach....football or basketball or both?

Hey herdfan429 where in the world do you come up with black being one of Marshall University's colors? I began with Marshall in 1961 and black has never been one of the two colors - kelly green and white. I will concede that we have seen some god-awful color combinations - including some black - but not listed as an official color. Now please correct this old man if I am wrong. Show me your evidence.

Hey herdfan429 where in the world do you come up with black being one of Marshall University's colors? I began with Marshall in 1961 and black has never been one of the two colors - kelly green and white. I will concede that we have seen some god-awful color combinations - including some black - but not listed as an official color. Now please correct this old man if I am wrong. Show me your evidence.
The official color guide from the university

I will concede that we have seen some god-awful color combinations - including some black.

The bad colors, IMHO, IIRC.

- Starting in the late 70s MU tried to add yellow as a third team color. Was at its peak in the late Sonny era, when we looked like the Packers. This went away in football when Sonny did, IIRC because a complete set of new uniforms was needed to entice anybody to take the job, and green and white Penn State plain was all we could afford (if you want to realize how far we have come, think about that and rotten Fairfield for a second). Unfortunatly the band had just bought new uniforms and was stuck with yellow trim for a long time, and several other sports had yellow trim until the end of the 80s.

- George Chaump was a Ohio State guy and went with gray helmets and trim for his last year, which went away when he did.

- Satan's Vile Servant, the repugnant liar KO Marcum took Nike's word that it could not do Kelly Green (even though North Texas, the only other school with our shade of green had it) and we got a much darker Michigan State shade of green. This was more in fan wear than uniforms, and still causes resentment because a lot of retailers who would carry a little MU gear were stuck with unsellable crap when MH came in and the Printing Office launched a modern style guide like other school had for a long time. Highpants, the arch enemy of all that is good and right, also was responsible for the Scobby Doo Marco outfit.

- The recent afectation with black.

Official school colors or not, it's a good looking uniform IMHO. The only downside I see is that black attracts heat like no other color, which shouldn't be a concern after the first few games.

So, you think brown, light brown, beige, purple, red, orange, dark green, and grey, which are all on the same page in said guide, are also the school colors?

Wrong. Kelly Green and White.

This reads as though only kelly green is our primary school color. White, gray and black are listed as accent colors.

Primary Palette
Marshall University kelly green is who we are. We wear it with pride. Our branding should wear it with pride too. Marshall University is instantly recognizable by many of its audiences through kelly green.

Kelly green (PMS 354) should always stand front and center in our branding of visual communications. We use black, gray, and white to accent it and support it. These colors are to be used for all marketing materials of the university. Consistent use of our official colors helps us continue to build recognition with our audiences.

http://www.marshall.edu/brandguide/

- Satan's Vile Servant, the repugnant liar KO Marcum took Nike's word that it could not do Kelly Green (even though North Texas, the only other school with our shade of green had it) and we got a much darker Michigan State shade of green. This was more in fan wear than uniforms, and still causes resentment because a lot of retailers who would carry a little MU gear were stuck with unsellable crap when MH came in and the Printing Office launched a modern style guide like other school had for a long time. Highpants, the arch enemy of all that is good and right, also was responsible for the Scobby Doo Marco outfit.

a) nike/marshall announced in nov 2010 that they'd start making more of the kelly green apparel. at the time north texas was a partner with ua and had been for several years.
b) hamrick was not on the branding committee when they developed their style guide.

herdfan429 "black" is listed as an "Accent" color - not the official school colors of kelly green and white. However, in order to avoid a pissing contest if you want to say black is one of our primary colors you go right on. True Herd fans (and those of us who actually graduated from Marshall) know our colors are kelly green and white,

Reactions: The Real SamC
could you be more specific on the drunkass wvu coach....football or basketball or both?

Apparently, 19MU88, one requirement for living in Morganhole for any extended period of time is to become a falling off barstool drunkard, like the coaches you mentioned, or else just become totally batcrap CRAZY, like President E. Gordy Geek!!

Reactions: 19MU88
Bring back the digitized numbers!

Anyone who thinks I'm being serious needs his/her head checked.

Although, I will say a KELLY GREEN helmet would be nice as an alternate color scheme (not that horrible attempt made during the Snyder era).

Black is NOT one of MU's school colors. The school colors are Kelly Green and White. Period . . . The school colors are Kelly Green and White. Period.

Wrong. White is no more of a school color than black is. Our color is kelly green. White is listed exactly the same as black; an accent color. In fact, the logo's two colors are supposed to be kelly green and black . . . not white.

- Satan's Vile Servant, the repugnant liar KO Marcum took Nike's word that it could not do Kelly Green (even though North Texas, the only other school with our shade of green had it) and we got a much darker Michigan State shade of green.

Wrong. As has been pointed out, North Texas was a UA school under Todd Dodge. Dan McCarney was a Nike guy when he was head coach at Iowa State. From that relationship, he was able to get UNT a top 25-esque Nike deal which was after Kayo's time with the green situation.

Wrong. Kelly Green and White.

Still wrong. It doesn't matter how many times you say it or how authoritatively you try to say it. You're still wrong.

- The recent afectation with black.

Wrong. A-F-F. Two "Fs," Samantha. I love when you try spelling words with more than two syllables.

You needed to use that other "F" to spell "failure" regarding your posts, huh?

Amazing that long, long before UA, Nike, etc. and the plethora of numbered variations of colors came along, someone wrote a school fight song, "Sons of Marshall", which included the phrases, "proudly we wear our colors" . . . and "the Green and White of Marshall U". The rest of this discussion, therefore, seems to be nothing but drivel and useless verbiage.

Reactions: The Real SamC
The school's official colors aren't based on what UA or Nike could provide. You want to use lyrics from a song to base your claim instead of the official statement from the school? Good luck with that.

You can keep claiming white as one of the major official colors, but don't tell all of the female alums that; after all, the song you reference for your proof only refers to the "sons" of Marshall, and our female alums can't be sons. I guess they are then allowed to claim green and black.

All of these logos are official from marshall.edu

Yes it's an accent color, but it is more prominent than white. I don't see the big deal about black jerseys.

primary_institute_block_m_26.png

primary_logo_1.png

TheHerd_635478353752813755.png

Our black uniforms are a way to remember the 1970 team and I don't see why we should stop them now.

Reactions: DeHerd
Our black uniforms are a way to remember the 1970 team and I don't see why we should stop them now.
Now let's be honest with ourselves here - the black uniforms aren't a tribute to 1970 team, they're a gimmick. Almost every other school in Division I has cycled in a black version of their uniform at some point or another, and we just hopped the bandwagon about ten years late.

Now let's be honest with ourselves here - the black uniforms aren't a tribute to 1970 team, they're a gimmick. Almost every other school in Division I has cycled in a black version of their uniform at some point or another, and we just hopped the bandwagon about ten years late.

Of course it is a gimmick, so is the Dot's new turf with our logo in the outfield. Everything we do that is not just a basic need is a gimmick to get recruits. The good thing about the black uniforms is that we do not wear them any other game but the anniversary of the planecrash. That is what makes it special and a tradition. It would be different if we wore them more than just one game.

Saying black uniforms adopted more than 45 years after an event have anything to do with that event is silly.

The black uniforms, here and everywhere else, along with the chrome helmets, reverse colors, gray, matte finished helmets, RW&B support the troops, cammo, and all the rest are just a way for Nike, et al, to sell more crapola.

IMHO, when you are Marshall, and you get, maybe 12 seconds of highlights on TV on a good day, people should not have to say "who is that" or "is Marshall the black team or the cammo team this week".

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
I'd be surprised if it stayed one game a year for long. According to these pictures, it looks like we're already making black pants part of our standard home uniform.

I would argue that this gimmick is much, much different than the turf on the softball field - this one carries the implication that its being done to honor people who died in a plane crash fifty years ago, even when we all know its just a loose excuse to have a sweet alternate uniform.

That's what gets me. Ever since the movie came out, Marshall has made the plane crash the totality of our tradition, and we flog that thing every chance we get, always under the claim that its a tribute, even when its transparent in its completely self-serving nature. We court bad taste in doing so, but seem completely blind to (or unconcerned by) that fact.

The other day, a visiting prospect's dad came on here and asked what's fun to do in Huntington. He was told to visit a cemetery and watch a 10-year-old McG movie.

Its becoming a recurring theme with Marshall - in the absence of glory, sift through the ashes.

All of these logos are official from marshall.edu

Yes it's an accent color, but it is more prominent than white. I don't see the big deal about black jerseys.

primary_institute_block_m_26.png

primary_logo_1.png

TheHerd_635478353752813755.png

While everyone is bitching...three logos is pretty damn stupid, too.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
That's what gets me. Ever since the movie came out, Marshall has made the plane crash the totality of our tradition, and we flog that thing every chance we get, always under the claim that its a tribute, even when its transparent in its completely self-serving nature. We court bad taste in doing so, but seem completely blind to (or unconcerned by) that fact.

The other day, a visiting prospect's dad came on here and asked what's fun to do in Huntington. He was told to visit a cemetery and watch a 10-year-old McG movie.

Its becoming a recurring theme with Marshall - in the absence of glory, sift through the ashes.

Post of the month. Yes.

There is even one of those stupid on-line petition things trying to get Gameday to come to Huntington on November 14, 2020 (which will be a Saturday). Yes, talking about death fits right in with the typical Gameday atmosphere.

Yes, we need to have a ceremony every year. Yes, it was a tragic thing. Yes, probably the "week of welcome" deal should include showing the movie. Yes, Doc is right that just having a football team means a lot to many older people around here in a different way than elsewhere. But milking this in the absence of anything else to talk about, claiming that gimmick black unis are some kind of memorial, and answering "what is fun to do in Huntington" with "go to the graveyard" is over the top.

That's one too many.

not really, it's actually quite common though a couple schools have recently ditched the separate university/athletics logos and consolidated them (auburn and uk i know off hand), they still have "alternate" athletic logos. it's good for retail to have a couple options, which is why most pro sports teams, d1 colleges, etc have that.

not really, it's actually quite common though a couple schools have recently ditched the separate university/athletics logos and consolidated them (auburn and uk i know off hand), they still have "alternate" athletic logos. it's good for retail to have a couple options, which is why most pro sports teams, d1 colleges, etc have that.

Here's why I don't like the logo with "The Herd": no one attends The Herd. What is that? In a dying state and trying to gain out of state students I think that is important. And I hate to say it, but WVU was brilliant with the flying WV. It's as sure as the IU for Indiana, no mistaking that logo.

Now if I can convince pro teams to stop selling stuff in the wrong colors. A red and white Yankees cap, WTF is that?

Here's why I don't like the logo with "The Herd": no one attends The Herd. What is that? In a dying state and trying to gain out of state students I think that is important. And I hate to say it, but WVU was brilliant with the flying WV. It's as sure as the IU for Indiana, no mistaking that logo.

Now if I can convince pro teams to stop selling stuff in the wrong colors. A red and white Yankees cap, WTF is that?

it's the same exact logo except athletics uses "the herd" because well that's the name of our athletic teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT