ADVERTISEMENT

Cinderella

Thank you for representing the conference well. Where does this win rank with all time great wins for Marshall? The CUSA tourney has to rank up there as well....
IMO it is one of the biggest in school history. The win over #8 St Johns in the 71-72 season was huge. Posting 2 wins in the NIT when Coach Dantoni played in the late 60's was big. In those days only 16 went to the NCAA and 16 to NIT. The 2 tournaments were considered equal. Of course beating # 9 WVU in 2005 was a big win.

Last edited:
Today’s win was the biggest win in Marshall’s Div. 1 basketball history
That is not debatable.

The NIT and NCAA were not considered on the same level in the 60’s that was over by the mid 50’s latest. Also there were 23-24 teams not 16 in the NCAA when MU played in back to back NITs.

Teams have come and go over the years in CUSA. Marshall competed in basketball in the MAC before CUSA correct? I seem to remember Kent State from the MAC going to the Elite Eight one year, and before MU was in the MAC, they were in the CAA correct which is where the 1987 bid came from,right? I'm just trying to learn some basketball history where football has been king.

Today’s win was the biggest win in Marshall’s Div. 1 basketball history
That is not debatable.

The NIT and NCAA were not considered on the same level in the 60’s that was over by the mid 50’s latest. Also there were 23-24 teams not 16 in the NCAA when MU played in back to back NITs.
true Green duke 24 not 16 I stand corrected

Reactions: GreenDuke
I was looking at some video on youtube from 1987( looking for NIT footage), and it showed CBS coverage of teams going dancing including Marshall. I remember thinking how long ago that was. I hope MU can continue winning for the conference's sake. CUSA was once a basketball superpower and can be once again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT