ADVERTISEMENT

Dan's "Invisible" Defense

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Pitt rolling. Pitt has no players under 6' 6". As for the Herd. Well we all know how "big" we are. No defense at all.

Will, a bunch of negative nancies here tonight. Did anyone expect us to beat either Cinci or Pitt??? The rebounding and live and die by the 3 are the 2 biggest things I see as issues(will be less of an issue in conf play I think -- conf tourney time in might though). One thing I saw as a positive tonight and has shown in a couple of losses is this team has no quit in them. When down by 29 they could have given up (like our football team did several times thins year), but did not. If they play with the no quit attitude in conf play, I see a good year. BTW I did say IF there.

Simple fact remains: EKU scored 89, OSU scored 111, UTC scored 96, Akron scored 99, Cincy scored 93 and Pitt scored 112. That folks is the scoring of the Six victorious opponents over the Herd in non-conference road games. 6 games, 6 losses, 600 points given up by the Herd. Do the math: 600 divided by 6=100 points per game given up in our 6 losses thus far.

Someone needs to point out to Danny D. "Hey, if you want to beat the BETTER TEAMS you play, particularly on the road, then how about working on more, and EMPHASIZING, TEAM DEFENSE", instead of just telling EVERY DAMN PLAYER, if you feel like jacking up a three, often a quick and ill advised three, then GO AHEAD!!!

Yeah, we can all rejoice that we are now in conference play where, per Woody's post game show, we will play a lot of bottom feeders, about 9 teams with RPIs around 200 or much lower. This "system" should, and better, produce more success/wins against mediocre opponents as found in CUSA. However, as the above illustrates clearly, it produced "Zilch" against the better opponents the Herd has faced this season!!

Sure beats:
160 other teams
161 Marshall

According to Sagarin
This has to to be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on a message board. You responded within 10 minutes of the post. LOL. I couldn't even imagine watching my team get their ass handed to them, and my first response would be "I need to go defend our team on a non rivals message board". Haha.

Down 20 at the half and end up losing by 6 - heck of a lot better than what happened at Ohio State.

Again however , size killed us as we are all aware of.

This has to to be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on a message board. You responded within 10 minutes of the post. LOL. I couldn't even imagine watching my team get their ass handed to them, and my first response would be "I need to go defend our team on a non rivals message board". Haha.
More like came here to read up on Marshall's basketball game, clicked on a basketball post, and saw a Herd fan turned it into a wvu football discussion. Carry on

I was as frustrated as anyone, but one thing I noticed is that we went on our run after Dan finally benched the european players. Let's call time of death and recognize these kids are not DI players. Bringing Thompson back will help keep them on the bench. I'm still unsure why Bledsoe did not receive more minutes. Maybe there is an explanation I have not seen. It was nice to see Allison get plenty of second half minutes. Dan needs to politely ask a few of these kids to move on after the season. It happens at every program. I understand when Dan started he was put in a tough situation and needed bodies. But headed into year 4 he needs players and these kids aren't the answer.

Simple fact remains: EKU scored 89, OSU scored 111, UTC scored 96, Akron scored 99, Cincy scored 93 and Pitt scored 112. That folks is the scoring of the Six victorious opponents over the Herd in non-conference road games. 6 games, 6 losses, 600 points given up by the Herd. Do the math: 600 divided by 6=100 points per game given up in our 6 losses thus far.

Someone needs to point out to Danny D. "Hey, if you want to beat the BETTER TEAMS you play, particularly on the road, then how about working on more, and EMPHASIZING, TEAM DEFENSE", instead of just telling EVERY DAMN PLAYER, if you feel like jacking up a three, often a quick and ill advised three, then GO AHEAD!!!

Yeah, we can all rejoice that we are now in conference play where, per Woody's post game show, we will play a lot of bottom feeders, about 9 teams with RPIs around 200 or much lower. This "system" should, and better, produce more success/wins against mediocre opponents as found in CUSA. However, as the above illustrates clearly, it produced "Zilch" against the better opponents the Herd has faced this season!!
so we could just burn more clock on offense and make you tards happy

Reactions: horsrman
so we could just burn more clock on offense and make you tards happy

Yeah, numbnuts, run a little more clock and work for a better shot, perhaps. Quickest shot not always the best one, tard!! Even Danny D. has commented that sometimes guys try to quickly make a play instead of running the offense, specifically as he noted in the Cincy game. Perhaps a play or two being run a little longer instead of a quick shot would have made the difference in that close loss.

As the ppg stats point out we need better defense, including inside defense, as well as better rebounding. So we bring in a 6'6" Nikolic, a 6'6" Thieneman, a 6'9" Penava, and they seem more interested in hanging out around the 3 point line looking for a shot. We have plenty of shooters at the guard positions: we need the bigs that we have, such as they are, to play inside more, fight for rebounds and shots in the paint, and work hard on D in the paint area, so that, for example, opponents can't take the ball from 20 feet out straight to the hole for an uncontested dunk, as Pitt did with regularity, with little or no resistance offered by the Herd. Its NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, numbnuts!!

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I like Dan, he's done better than I expected. That being said, I don't see him ever reaching the level of success we would like. He doesn't believe in playing defense and has even said "you don't have to play good defense to win games" and that's just not true. Place that with the fact that essentially he is putting all of his stock in us winning c-USA in order to have a chance at the tournament (which he has said after numerous losses during the ooc schedule so far) and I just don't see us ever reaching the place we'd like

Yeah, numbnuts, run a little more clock and work for a better shot, perhaps. Quickest shot not always the best one, tard!! Even Danny D. has commented that sometimes guys try to quickly make a play instead of running the offense, specifically as he noted in the Cincy game. Perhaps a play or two being run a little longer instead of a quick shot would have made the difference in that close loss.

As the ppg stats point out we need better defense, including inside defense, as well as better rebounding. So we bring in a 6'6" Nikolic, a 6'6" Thieneman, a 6'9" Penava, and they seem more interested in hanging out around the 3 point line looking for a shot. We have plenty of shooters at the guard positions: we need the bigs that we have, such as they are, to play inside more, fight for rebounds and shots in the paint, and work hard on D in the paint area, so that, for example, opponents can't take the ball from 20 feet out straight to the hole for an uncontested dunk, as Pitt did with regularity, with little or no resistance offered by the Herd. Its NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, numbnuts!!
LOL f#cktard. Since your d#mbass was focused on points per game, I simply pointed out slowing the game down would make tards like you happy. I think you missed the point

We certainly need to add some pieces to the puzzle and improve but I'm betting we will be in the hunt for the league title at the end, and that is progress. It's also pretty clear you don't understand DD's system, it's fine to disagree with it, but I think you need to understand the philosophy before you can do that. DD told a reporter that shot in the paint you are looking for is the worst shot in BB. What we need are bigs that can guard a little on the interior D, help on rebound a bit, but we need the right kind of big that can play in this system. Unless we find Shaq, we aren't looking hard for the post up player.

Chill on the facts before you are told you know nothing about Basketball

I was as frustrated as anyone, but one thing I noticed is that we went on our run after Dan finally benched the european players. Let's call time of death and recognize these kids are not DI players. Bringing Thompson back will help keep them on the bench. I'm still unsure why Bledsoe did not receive more minutes. Maybe there is an explanation I have not seen. It was nice to see Allison get plenty of second half minutes. Dan needs to politely ask a few of these kids to move on after the season. It happens at every program. I understand when Dan started he was put in a tough situation and needed bodies. But headed into year 4 he needs players and these kids aren't the answer.

He had bodies, he kicked them off for minor shit then brought in the Euros

LOL f#cktard. Since your d#mbass was focused on points per game, I simply pointed out slowing the game down would make tards like you happy. I think you missed the point

We certainly need to add some pieces to the puzzle and improve but I'm betting we will be in the hunt for the league title at the end, and that is progress. It's also pretty clear you don't understand DD's system, it's fine to disagree with it, but I think you need to understand the philosophy before you can do that. DD told a reporter that shot in the paint you are looking for is the worst shot in BB. What we need are bigs that can guard a little on the interior D, help on rebound a bit, but we need the right kind of big that can play in this system. Unless we find Shaq, we aren't looking hard for the post up player.

Hey, crap for brains, slowing the game down, as you call it could mean what I said, taking a more judicious shot at certain times in the game, not just the first and quickest shot, as Coach again pointed out in his Cincy postgame comments. As for me not understanding DD's system, well, just what the hell is his system defensively. What I do understand, dickweed, that whatever it is, it must not be working too damn well, since we gave up 100 ppg in our six losses, and team, most of which have been brought in by D'Antoni, can't guard against the three, the mid range jump shot, the drive down the lane to the basket, the drive along the baseline to the basket, etc., etc. Some DAMN SYSTEM, INDEED, numbnuts!!

Hate to say this but I agree with Chuck Gioblastoma Landon. The man who has done more damage to Marshall Football than the plane crash.

It's time to FIRE Dan Dantoni! Chuck is right!

He can't win on the road and he can't recruit big men that can play his pathetic white boy shoot 3s motion offense.

Fire Dantoni NOW! Fire Gioblastoma Landon NEXT!

Hate to say this but I agree with Chuck Gioblastoma Landon. The man who has done more damage to Marshall Football than the plane crash.

He can't win on the road and he can't recruit big men that can play his pathetic white boy shoot 3s motion offense.

You're an angry fella aren't you?

Reactions: jocktalker

Your comments are appalling...we run nothing close to a motion offense. Get it right!

Geez can any of you posters go watch the team play and then render an accurate, UNBIASED opinion minus the shades of green. This team does not play defense, there is no serious player on the team of true D-1 caliber, no bigs (oh yeah they are coming BUT as NQs they are two more years down the road, coach only seems interested in WV kids who nobody is recruiting. I hope to goodness I am totally wrong but Danny has never coached or recruited at the college level and it shows nor can our players finish a close game or win away from the Henderson Center. All told most of you seem to simply be satisfied with a mediocre program while trying to convince yourself we will be good in oh two, three, or four years down the road. Do you not realize how much worse we may be with the players Dan is recruiting? Only Iran Bennett had any major programs interested BUT it looks like academics will be an issue. For goodness sake will some of you posters who keep telling the rest of us how close to DD and the program are, encourage him to start recruiting talent - not Europeans who take three years to develop.

I guess DD had a presser after the Pitt game last night and a reporter asked him about taking a lot of three's. DD asked the reporter if he ever watched the NBA. Reporter said yes. DD wants to model this team like GS or his brother's Houston team. There is NO ONE on this Herd team that would even come close to Harden or Currey.

I guess DD had a presser after the Pitt game last night and a reporter asked him about taking a lot of three's. DD asked the reporter if he ever watched the NBA. Reporter said yes. DD wants to model this team like GS or his brother's Houston team. There is NO ONE on this Herd team that would even come close to Harden or Currey.
We Herd fans are quite happy with our coach. Heck, he hasn't even had his 1st DUI yet, let alone embarrass our university as a drunk. He can even drive his own car.

Dan is improving, his offense is making "bigger" teams sweat like Cincy and Pitt. When have we beat those guys in recent memory, much less stay close with them? The two losses this year that bother me the most is EKU and OSU, no business losing to EKU to be honest, and OSU should not have been a blow out. Otherwise I think the team has done well. Why it is taking him soo long to get the right recruits in place, I don't know, but he is slowly getting there. If we can solve the inside presence issue, this team would have a few losses less. That said, compare this year to his other years, there is a definite improvement, especially early season where previous seasons we lost ALOT of games we shouldn't have.

DD is correct, a three point shot is the best shot in the game. Three's and lay- up's are the best shots, fifteen foot jumpers are the worst shots with shots just inside the arch being the absolute worst. Either shot makes the other easier to execute.

Reactions: jocktalker
^^^ The three point line and shot clock effectively killed the working of the ball to get a good ten foot bank shot. I loved those shots, it's how I played my career, but it's a different game. Maybe not better, just different.

I think you missed Dan's entire point. Dan was talking about analytics and style of play not comparing Marshall's personnel to an NBA team. His system works and will only get better as he recruits and develops the players needed for his system. I don't understand all of the pissing and moaning about the direction of the program and wins/losses. A blind man could see the improvement but expectations on this board seem a little unrealistic to me at this stage.

Good news is......Most of the posters on this thread have no idea what they are talking about!

I am more positive about the direction of this program than I've been in years.

We Herd fans are quite happy with our coach. Heck, he hasn't even had his 1st DUI yet, let alone embarrass our university as a drunk. He can even drive his own car.
Wasn't there a few Herd fans that were wanting said Huggy at Marshall to coach Patterson, Mayo, and Bill Walker?

Well, how many times since then has Huggs' teams, WVU or K-State been in the Big Dance? And we have been there when, uh, oh yeah, in Huck's days, about 30 years ago; 3 decades, 3 DECADES. Dan TALKS about going to the Big D, and hopes he makes it. Believe he will seriously have to RAMP UP recruiting levels before we will become a SERIOUS THREAT to being a Big D participant or other relevant post season contender. Less projects from "wherever" who are slow to, or never, develop and LESS emphasis on non-D1 caliber players from the "304"!!!

Some of you may not remember, or have forgotten, our previous Herd grad, Mullens native's tenure as a head coach. Had a pretty good overall winning per centage. Also, emphasized in state recruiting as much, or more, than Danny D. Remember Joda Burgess, Romel "Stuff" Lynch, Tink Brown, Ibanez kid from Wheeling, Tamar Slay, Sidney Coles, Josh Prey, Corny Jackson, etc.? Some were pretty decent D1 caliber players; others not so much. But none of them during Greg's tenure EVER MADE IT TO THE NIT OR NCAA!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT