ADVERTISEMENT

Does D'Antoni have the dedication to recruit well?

KeatonsCorner

Platinum Buffalo
Nov 5, 2012
Looking at MU Basketball's recruiting since Dan arrived........... it's very, very unimpressive.

No, this isn't some "smack" thread, so save it.

2015 class: 2 euros nobody else wanted and Thenienman, whose best offer was Air Force and who was averaging 6pts a game at the time of his commitment.

2016 class: Bledsoe, a legit midmajor talent, but a kid who's positionless at the college level and who was the 4th/5th best player in the state of WV. Ky're Allison, another local kid who only had one D1 offer (NC A&T). Jannson Williams, who didn't receive a single D1 offer other than Marshall, and who by all accounts won't see the floor for a while, even after his redshirt year.

2017 class: West and Robinette. Combined offer list: VMI, ECU, Winthtrop, Liberty, Longwood

2018 class: Darius George, Jeremy Dillon. Both holding only one D1 offer - Marshall.

So is Dan's "let's keep the WV kids here" mantra just laziness? Thenienman and Williams only got offers because Dan was already at the recruiting events trying to scout better players and he didn't want to leave empty-handed........ His Euro "connection" has fallen on its face to date.

Why Doesn't Dan D'Antoni work harder on the recruiting trail?

Conference rivals WKU just signed not one but 2 ESPN Top 100 recruits....

No he is not herdit44. Legit question. For you - when we win CUSA and get in the NCAA with this team I will gladly eat crow. In the meantime our basketball program remains, well,!

Reactions: Herd Fever
No he is not herdit44. Legit question. For you - when we win CUSA and get in the NCAA with this team I will gladly eat crow. In the meantime our basketball program remains, well,!

he's a wvu troll who only posts this crap. he did so on herdhaven until they banned him from the main board for constantly just posting this stuff over and over.

not banned anywhere, sorry. Creating basketball conversation...........I hope one day, 44, that you catch that evil man who makes you enter threads like these and post..

In the meantime, D'Antoni offered all of these in-state recruits long before other programs:

Dikembe Dixson
Brandon Knapper
Chase Harler
Phil Bledsoe
Levi Cook
Nick Greely
Jarrod West Jr
Luke Frampton
Elijah Cuffee
Chase Johnson
Jeremy Dillion

27%................... that's not nearly a good enough success rate for a program whose coach openly states his focus is in-state recruiting.

Then there's Tavian Dunn-Martin.................. a legit D1 guard in his back yard that he let go to a BETTER program in Akron

Last edited:
Reactions: Herd Fever
840100_LA_trolls_norway.jpg

Looking at MU Basketball's recruiting since Dan arrived........... it's very, very unimpressive.

2015 class: 2 euros nobody else wanted and Thenienman, whose best offer was Air Force and who was averaging 6pts a game at the time of his commitment.

2016 class: Bledsoe, a legit midmajor talent, but a kid who's positionless at the college level and who was the 4th/5th best player in the state of WV. Ky're Allison, another local kid who only had one D1 offer (NC A&T). Jannson Williams, who didn't receive a single D1 offer other than Marshall, and who by all accounts won't see the floor for a while, even after his redshirt year.

2017 class: West and Robinette. Combined offer list: VMI, ECU, Winthtrop, Liberty, Longwood

2018 class: Darius George, Jeremy Dillon. Both holding only one D1 offer - Marshall.

So is Dan's "let's keep the WV kids here" mantra just laziness? Thenienman and Williams only got offers because Dan was already at the recruiting events trying to scout better players and he didn't want to leave empty-handed........ His Euro "connection" has fallen on its face to date.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

KeatonsCorner....I do not know your identity...but your critique of my cuz-in-law pisses me off---as well as others responding to you post. Do you recall the ass-whipping The HERD (coached by Dan D'Antoni) put on WKU, last Jan. 2? ESPN bullcrap rankings mean very little---

The HERD basketball program was in the dumpster when Dan was selected to return Marshall to it's once proud national status. It is year three for Dan & his staff and I can assure you things will be be brighter at The Cam and on the road this season. The players Dan & his staff have recruited (many kids from WV) are learning his system and this year should create positive results. Attendance is way up and now the folks in the Tri-State area are excited about HERD Hoops again!

Let's talk about the players currently on board.... in the classroom and as model citizens. Dan loves MARSHALL & West Virginia. He demands the following: (1) Players are STUDENTS first---players second. (2) Players will graduate. (3) Players will be model citizens in the community. (4) Players will wear the MARSHALL uniform proudly...following in the great lineage of past stars & players. (5) Players will be in the best physical conditioning then ever before in their basketball careers. The players that would "not buy into his rules"...were asked to leave his first year. No reason to name-names...but they accounted for over 50 + points for guys that returned from the previous program before Dan's arrival to his home university.

A little inside information on The Herd's recruiting. Coach Mark Cline is chief recruiter and he does a darn good job. Coach Chris Duhon is a player's coach & he is being groomed to earn a head job sometime soon at a college program. He told me personally two weeks ago during the Marcello Lajterman Memorial Golf outing when I posed the question..."What brought you to Marshall?" Chris said..."Sweeney, I played for Coach (Dan) D'Antoni with the Lakers and I wanted to join his staff to learn more about basketball & becoming a head coach"...."I would not want to be anywhere else at this point in my life." Coach Scott Rigot is a big asset to the staff and he recruits players too. Dan receives weekly phone calls from high school and college players that want to be a part of re-building the program---or transfer to Marshall.

Hopefully, this answers your concerns directed at the recruiting skills of Coach D'Antoni....there is more to be a "complete" student-athlete than guys dribbling, passing, rebounding, shooting a basketball. They must get along with other players & staff to create a winning program.

Rome was not built in two years.

Gary (HerdZilla22) Sweeney in Charlotte

Last edited:

44 years and counting - since we've danced.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

KeatonsCorner....I do not know your identity...but your critique of my cuz-in-law pisses me off---as well as others responding to you post. Do you recall the ass-whipping The HERD (coached by Dan D'Antoni) put on WKU, last Jan. 2? ESPN bullcrap rankings mean very little---

The HERD basketball program was in the dumpster when Dan was selected to return Marshall to it's once proud national status. It is year three for Dan & his staff and I can assure you things will be be brighter at The Cam and on the road this season. The players Dan & his staff have recruited (many kids from WV) are learning his system and this year should create positive results. Attendance is way up and now the folks in the Tri-State area are excited about HERD Hoops again!

Let's talk about the players currently on board.... in the classroom and as model citizens. Dan loves MARSHALL & West Virginia. He demands the following: (1) Players are STUDENTS first---players second. (2) Players will graduate. (3) Players will be model citizens in the community. (4) Players will wear the MARSHALL uniform proudly...following in the great lineage of past stars & players. (5) Players will be in the best physical conditioning then ever before in their basketball careers. The players that would "not buy into his rules"...were asked to leave his first year. No reason to name-names...but they accounted for over 50 + points for guys that returned from the previous program before Dan's arrival to his home university.

A little inside information on The Herd's recruiting. Coach Mark Cline is chief recruiter and he does a darn good job. Coach Chris Duhon is a player's coach & he is being groomed to earn a head job sometime soon at a college program. He told me personally two weeks ago during the Marcello Lajterman Memorial Golf outing when I posed the question..."What brought you to Marshall?" Chris said..."Sweeney, I played for Coach (Dan) D'Antoni with the Lakers and I wanted to join his staff to learn more about basketball & becoming a head coach"...."I would not want to be anywhere else at this point in my life." Coach Scott Rigot is a big asset to the staff and he recruits players too. Dan receives weekly phone calls from high school and college players that want to be a part of re-building the program---or transfer to Marshall.

Hopefully, this answers your concerns directed at the recruiting skills of Coach D'Antoni....there is more to be a "complete" student-athlete than guys dribbling, passing, rebounding, shooting a basketball. They must get along with other players & staff to create a winning program.

Rome was not built in two years.

Gary (HerdZilla22) Sweeney in Charlotte

Ok, where to begin...................... whether my words or "critiques" piss you off matters absolutely zero to me. I was posting the situations of Dan's recruiting efforts............. facts. Your infatuation with your "cousin in-law" clouds your judgment of reality.

Also, this is a thread about recruiting........ so when you immediately say "Let's only worry about the players we have".... well, that makes me question why you're here in the first place. Also, speaking of the players MU has, there's not a single person who can replace what James Kelly contributed last season (20pts, 10 rebounds) on this roster.

Your conjecture about classrooms and model citizens matters not to a recruiting discussion, so save it. A distraction tactic from the point of this thread.

If Coach Cline is "darn good" at his job................... why isn't MU signing kids of better quality? I mean, he just inked a kid whose only offer was VMI and who DOES NOT FIT D'Antoni's style of play whatsoever.......... If the phone is ringing off the hood for transfers, where are they? Rondale Watson? Pfff. What happened to Jankovic from Hawaii, who "was a sure thing" ?

Look at the schedule. I don't see 17 wins on it like last season............ CUSA won't be the 28th/32 rated conference again like it was last year.

I personally think (excluding the Frampton debacle) Cline and Dan's recruiting has picked up recently.

West and Dillon will be solid contributors at MU.

We made the final 4 (along with JMU, ECU and Hofstra) for Greg Jones out of Richmond.

Iran Bennett visited two weeks ago and he has a very nice offer list.

I also think Rondale Watson will be a very good player for us. I know he's a transfer but our coaching staff should get credit for reeling him in.

And BTW, I think you might be off on your assessment of Williams. I've heard from a couple of first hand reports he has been very impressive in practice.

I mean, he just inked a kid whose only offer was VMI and who DOES NOT FIT D'Antoni's style of play whatsoever.

How did you come to that conclusion? Based off the limited Youtube video out there? I'm legitimately asking. Not trying to be confrontational.

We had a poster on our pay board relay a first-hand account of Robinette's game and according to him, he has some range and a nice touch.

How did you come to that conclusion? Based off the limited Youtube video out there? I'm legitimately asking. Not trying to be confrontational.

We had a poster on our pay board relay a first-hand account of Robinette's game and according to him, he has some range and a nice touch.

Scouting reports on the kid from other sites. He's Levi Cook.......... space eater and low-post/block guy with his back to the basket. Range out to the foul line, but nothing more. The kid played single-A ball here in VA, which is not good basketball (same as in WV) and didn't do anything on the AAU trail. A very weird commitment to take for a style like Dan's.

He was rated the 61st best HS player in the state of VA last season as a senior. Had to prep at Hargrave because he didn't have the grades too.

But at the end of the day.......... the offer lists tell the story. Marshall won't compete for conference titles in CUSA signing kids that don't have the attention of their competition.

As I write this, MU just missed out on another offered PG, Kam Langley, to North Carolina A&T........ that's the level of kids Dan is pursuing, and he's not even getting them!

Last edited:
Instate kids are not going to elevate this program to the level needed to compete on the national level . The talent is all over the nation , and you need to recruit from border to border as well as out of the country as most can see when you take a look at the programs that are gaining on the year in and year out major programs , Kentucky , Duke , North Carolina et al. You are seeing (again) as was the case a number of years ago when Valpo came out of nowhere ( faded since) Wichita State with Greg Marshall being in the mix annually and creating problems for the so called big boys of the game.

Add to the list Gonzaga and the resurgence of Providence and Nova who won it all last season.

If you want to win today you have to recruit globally , globally is not going to Mingo ,Boone or Putnam counties or wherever he is going in state.

Scouting reports on the kid from other sites. He's Levi Cook.......... space eater and low-post/block guy with his back to the basket. Range out to the foul line, but nothing more. The kid played single-A ball here in VA, which is not good basketball (same as in WV) and didn't do anything on the AAU trail. A very weird commitment to take for a style like Dan's.

He was rated the 61st best HS player in the state of VA last season as a senior. Had to prep at Hargrave because he didn't have the grades too.

But at the end of the day.......... the offer lists tell the story. Marshall won't compete for conference titles in CUSA signing kids that don't have the attention of their competition.

Interesting. Appreciate the info.

What do you think of Dillon and West?

Interesting. Appreciate the info.

What do you think of Dillon and West?

Dillon is a kid I wanted WVU to keep tabs on. He definitely has the size. Whether his game progresses or not, we will see. He could be very good in Dan's offense, assuming he plays basketball and not football by the end of it all.

West is solid. He's going to be a game manager, but his size is going to be an issue..................... which is ironic since Dan chose not to offer Tavian Dunn Martin due to his size, but offered Hansel Antica (Liberty) in 2015 and now West who are basically the same size. West's father, Jarrod Sr, was 5'11 on a good day.......... and Jr. is shorter than him

Dillon is a kid I wanted WVU to keep tabs on. He definitely has the size. Whether his game progresses or not, we will see. He could be very good in Dan's offense, assuming he plays basketball and not football by the end of it all.

West is solid. He's going to be a game manager, but his size is going to be an issue..................... which is ironic since Dan chose not to offer Tavian Dunn Martin due to his size, but offered Hansel Antica (Liberty) in 2015 and now West who are basically the same size.

I think we backed off the Hansel kid once we got him on campus for a visit. That's what I've been told, at least.

I agree that we will really learn if Dan's plan will work based on this year. UAB, La Tech, WKU and Middle will all be good this year and ODU, Rice and Charlotte will all be better. We also have a strong OOC schedule. If he can win 17-18 games and 12 again in conference, then he is probably on a good path with his plan. If we fall back to 9 conference wins, probably a failed experiment.

I agree that we will really learn if Dan's plan will work based on this year. UAB, La Tech, WKU and Middle will all be good this year and ODU, Rice and Charlotte will all be better. We also have a strong OOC schedule. If he can win 17-18 games and 12 again in conference, then he is probably on a good path with his plan. If we fall back to 9 conference wins, probably a failed experiment.

He's recruited zero big men who can contribute other than Thompson, and he's only 6'6.......... the Euros can't match up and Williams needs a redshirt. Rolling out a lineup of 4 guards and an undersized PF isn't going to work in CUSA.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I saw Chris T. play in HS at Trinity. He can really shoot the ball but didn't fire much as his team had 3 other D-1 prospects and his coach liked to pound the ball down low ( hard to argue with that approach). Overall I really enjoy the heightened basketball skills this team displays over Herrion's edition of the Herd basketball where FT's were an adventure and 3 point shooting a potential backboard breaker as a result of bricks. I do wish we played better defense but hopefully that will come.

Chris T?

Also:

3% under Dan so far - 32.6%

3% under Tom Herrion - 31.2%

minimal difference

however, wins per season:

Dan - 15

Tom - 17 (including 2 20-win years)

Last edited:
Chris T?

Also:

3% under Dan so far - 32.6%

3% under Tom Herrion - 31.2%

minimal difference

however, wins per season:

Dan - 15

Tom - 17 (including 2 20-win years)
Thenienman. To be fair those 3 points stats are a bit misleading, what's our percentage since Stevie and Elmore joined the team? I like the direction we're heading but agree we have to keep improving.

not banned anywhere, sorry. Creating basketball conversation...........I hope one day, 44, that you catch that evil man who makes you enter threads like these and post..

In the meantime, D'Antoni offered all of these in-state recruits long before other programs:

Dikembe Dixson
Brandon Knapper
Chase Harler
Phil Bledsoe
Levi Cook
Nick Greely
Jarrod West Jr
Luke Frampton
Elijah Cuffee
Chase Johnson
Jeremy Dillion

27%................... that's not nearly a good enough success rate for a program whose coach openly states his focus is in-state recruiting.

Then there's Tavian Dunn-Martin.................. a legit D1 guard in his back yard that he let go to a BETTER program in Akron

OMG PREACH!!!!! Maybe an outsiders view who loves WV basketball maybe can open some eyes. I have been saying the same things that D'Antoni wants his team's to look like those unathletic Southern WV AA teams. And not only that but he is bringing in the B squad and letting the American squad leave the state because he doesn't want to compete for recruits and would rather golf and send Mark Cline to do all of the recruiting.

Our Basketball staff is a joke

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Dunn Martin is not really a point guard, he's a skinny, 5'8" 2 guard who also has attitude problems. I'm glad Dan didn't go after him.

Attitude problems because he plays with passion and talks trash??

Let me guess your sources told you otherwise just like your sources said the same thing about last year's Horizon League rookie of the year??

I've noticed a reaccuring theme with you. And that's you confuse black players that play with a passion and talk trash as players with Attitude problems.

Fact of the matter is this, our basketball coaching staff can't recruit or compete for recruits period.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

Obviously as a wvu apologist, you know nothing about Danny and his dedication. I have spent a lot of time with him and he, I and many who really watch this team day in and day out or very pleased with his recruiting. First, we all know that his first year was basically a throw away since he was hired virtually after recruiting season was over.
He is getting players that fit his system. That is NOT a 6-11 guy that shoots hook shots.
As he has told me, we are NOT a P5 school with $30 million a year from TV money. We can't offer one guy to a room in housing. We can't fly charter to every game. We don't have a private athletic dining area and so on. He knows that we will not get 4 and 5 star recruits until we build a program. That is what he is trying to do. When you watch us practice you see more teaching than I have ever seen from a head coach at any level. He is the hardest worker out there. He has said many times, we can't recruit 4 stars so we have to develop our talent. That is exactly what he is doing. I know that I as a Marshall fan and not a wvu hillbilly, am perfectly happy with what he is building.

Hardest working but yet can't make the 20 minute drive to watch our #1 recruit work out.

Hardest working guy but goes out and plays a round of golf at the opening of the NCAA contact period.

Hardest working guy but has Coach Cline pretty much running the program top to bottom. I wouldn't be shocked if D'Antoni came into the stands during practice and started to talk to the fans in attendance similar to Pruett in his later years. I've said all along that we are a retiring spot for D'Antoni. A way for him to prove his is better than a HS head coach.

Obviously as a wvu apologist, you know nothing about Danny and his dedication. I have spent a lot of time with him and he, I and many who really watch this team day in and day out or very pleased with his recruiting. First, we all know that his first year was basically a throw away since he was hired virtually after recruiting season was over.
He is getting players that fit his system. That is NOT a 6-11 guy that shoots hook shots.
As he has told me, we are NOT a P5 school with $30 million a year from TV money. We can't offer one guy to a room in housing. We can't fly charter to every game. We don't have a private athletic dining area and so on. He knows that we will not get 4 and 5 star recruits until we build a program. That is what he is trying to do. When you watch us practice you see more teaching than I have ever seen from a head coach at any level. He is the hardest worker out there. He has said many times, we can't recruit 4 stars so we have to develop our talent. That is exactly what he is doing. I know that I as a Marshall fan and not a wvu hillbilly, am perfectly happy with what he is building.

funny, you calling me an apologist.................. did you read your own post?

and yet, all that writing and not one sentence about the actual recruits other than the same old "gosh, they're swell" bumpkin act.

The "we can't get 5 star guys" routine doesn't explain why he doesn't have a player taller than 6'6 on the roster who can contribute in 2016.

Got to say that this is the best thread I've read, rounball or oblong ball, for a very long time. Filled with some facts, some opinions, some inuindos, and a lot of passion. Best post on this board in months. Thanks to all, it was really a lot of fun to read; and no, I'm not being scarcastic...honest.

WKU has no problem bringing in 4 and 5 star guys and their budget is lower than ours. The difference is they have a coach who has been around the block when it comes to recruiting when we have a Glorified High School coach

WKU has no problem bringing in 4 and 5 star guys and their budget is lower than ours. The difference is they have a coach who has been around the block when it comes to recruiting when we have a Glorified High School coach
WKU has a lot richer basketball tradition than we do and is situated in a much heavier population area than we are. I too could not help to be impressed with the level of recruiting Stansbury seem to be bringing to the Hill but my guess is we'll split with them next year!

Reactions: ohio herd
Got to say that this is the best thread I've read, rounball or oblong ball, for a very long time. Filled with some facts, some opinions, some inuindos, and a lot of passion. Best post on this board in months. Thanks to all, it was really a lot of fun to read; and no, I'm not being scarcastic...honest.
I agree, room for honest analysis and disagreement..." not everyone who praises you is always your friend and not everyone who criticizes you is always your enemy!

I don't know this for a fact, but I assume D'Antoni's philosophy is this - he was around Marshall when we were very competitive using local players. He may believe that local kids who practice hard, do well in school, and are fully bought-in and organized can make some noise, at least within our conference.

Personally, I think last year was the product of James Kelly's presence, and that this year will look a lot more like Year 1 than Year 2. That said, Tom Herrion brought in a lot of athletes with a lot of stars beside their names, and we lost a lot of games to teams that were athletically inferior, but better organized and disciplined. Given the dumpster fire that Marshall basketball has been the last thirty years, I see nothing wrong in letting D'Antoni experiment with it.

Why the hate?

Why the concern?

Dan runs a certain system and recruits to that system. Also, he only wants good kids that works hard and he prefers kids with good grades. So if MU basketball sucks why do you care?

BTW, you missed the Burkes kid from Hedgesville. The only WV kid that shocks me Dan did not take is the big kid from Bridgeport last season.

One thing no one can dispute. Coach D'antoni is assembling the college version of the West Virginia High School All-Star team. Only time will tell if putting together a team of not highly recruited WV kids will work. Hope it does but I have doubts.

One thing no one can dispute. Coach D'antoni is assembling the college version of the West Virginia High School All-Star team. Only time will tell if putting together a team of not highly recruited WV kids will work. Hope it does but I have doubts.
I have no doubt these kids can hit open shots and make FT's and will play hard....but jury is out on whether we can play much defense and not get killed on the glass.

Reactions: oldeherd

Let me guess your sources told you otherwise just like your sources said the same thing about last year's Horizon League rookie of the year??

I've noticed a reaccuring theme with you. And that's you confuse black players that play with a passion and talk trash as players with Attitude problems.

Fact of the matter is this, our basketball coaching staff can't recruit or compete for recruits period.

My source was his coach, but I'm sure you know more. I have also watched him play live, have you? No, you haven't. The kid is a ball hog that doesn't create for his teammates, not exactly what you want in a PG.

They have a coach with a history of NCAA violations.

For the 100th time.....Dixson was offered an opportunity at Marshall, he passed. The basketball powerhouse for which he played this past year found some way to get him eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT