ADVERTISEMENT

Dollywood

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
So I’m taking in the Christmas shows at Dollywood with my wife and two youngest daughters. The show…Smoky Mountain Christmas…has a very talented singer who happens to be black. As part of the show the black singer asks his girlfriend to marry him. A family behind us said…and I quote…”a black person asking a white person to marry them?With that we’re leaving! “ And with that they stood up and left.

I’m thinking they’re local. Tennessee…it’s special.

tenor.png

Oh…and when we drove into Pigeon Forge there was a group of people waving Trump flags with their kids…looking no more than 9 or 10 waving “F*** Biden” flags. Yeah…special.

• Sad
Reactions: AmeriKenny
So I’m taking in the Christmas shows at Dollywood with my wife and two youngest daughters. The show…Smokey Mountain Christmas…has a very talented singer who happens to be black. As part of the show the black singer asks his girlfriend to marry him. A family behind us said…and I quote…”a black person asking a white person to marry them?With that we’re leaving! “ And with that they stood up and left.

Was it a black family or white family that said it?

Oh…and when we drove into Pigeon Forge there was a group of people waving Trump flags with their kids…looking no more than 9 or 10 waving “F*** Biden” flags. Yeah…special.
I guess not many of 82 million votes came from that area. You need to be more open minded.

I love that area. A little crowded at times. The knife shop is worth checking out.

The Pancake/Fudge capital of the world. Fond childhood memories from annual vacations there.

Reactions: GK4Herd
So I’m taking in the Christmas shows at Dollywood with my wife and two youngest daughters. The show…Smoky Mountain Christmas…has a very talented singer who happens to be black. As part of the show the black singer asks his girlfriend to marry him. A family behind us said…and I quote…”a black person asking a white person to marry them?With that we’re leaving! “ And with that they stood up and left.

Could just have easily been from WV, for what it's worth.

Reactions: i am herdman
I guess not many of 82 million votes came from that area. You need to be more open minded.

I love that area. A little crowded at times. The knife shop is worth checking out.
Open minded about having young kids waving “F*** Biden” signs? No…mine were taught to wave …“Trump lost…LOL”…signs.

Seriously though…I saw the knife store. Not really my cup of tea. I think I’ll try to hit Smoky NP in the morning before I drop my family off at The Island and Tanger Outlet. I’m sure I can find a nice little sports bar…maybe The Local Goat while they shop.

Reactions: i am herdman
I love that area.
I am not a fan of the touristy nature of that area. Just too much shit. The actual national park I love, it would be hard to overstate what a gem it is. Yeah the popular spots are way too crowded, but hike in a couple miles and the world disappears. I did the hike up LeConte to the lodge and down as a day hike in my 20s, I highly recommend. I really should do that and stay the night up there before I get too old.

I once saw an aerial photo of that stretch in Pigeon Forge before it got built up. Just a few tourist traps and still a lot of farms! But the parkway was already built, they knew what they were doing.

I have this vague memory of Gatlinburg as a small kid, there were still some shops and Ripley's I think, and Hillbilly Golf. I'd be happy if the whole damn town was one giant Hillbilly Golf.

Speaking of too much dumb shit and finding the diamond in all that, this is the absolute best place in Pigeon Forge to get lunch, get The Chub, the tomato soup is also fire:

https://www.facebook.com/pigeonforgedeli/
The knife shop is worth checking out.
Nah, you can get better prices online. I'm telling you this as somewhat of a knife nut.

I am not a fan of the touristy nature of that area. Just too much shit. The actual national park I love, it would be hard to overstate what a gem it is. Yeah the popular spots are way too crowded, but hike in a couple miles and the world disappears. I did the hike up LeConte to the lodge and down as a day hike in my 20s, I highly recommend. I really should do that and stay the night up there before I get too old.

I once saw an aerial photo of that stretch in Pigeon Forge before it got built up. Just a few tourist traps and still a lot of farms! But the parkway was already built, they knew what they were doing.

I have this vague memory of Gatlinburg as a small kid, there were still some shops and Ripley's I think, and Hillbilly Golf. I'd be happy if the whole damn town was one giant Hillbilly Golf.

Speaking of too much dumb shit and finding the diamond in all that, this is the absolute best place in Pigeon Forge to get lunch, get The Chub, the tomato soup is also fire:

https://www.facebook.com/pigeonforgedeli/

Nah, you can get better prices online. I'm telling you this as somewhat of a knife nut.

This.

Smokey Mt National Park / Mt LeConte is beautiful. Townsend is a cool little town down in that area - more outdoor people than tourists. Nice little bar on the river there. They call it "the peaceful side of the Smokies."

There's also a glamping resort there that is really fun for kids and adults a like.

I personally would avoid Gatlinberg/Dollywood.

The Lodge outlet there can be good to get your cast iron, but with amazon it's really not a ton of price savings to have to deal with the tourist crap. I think Lodge is fine for cast iron, but some of the elite kitchen people like Butter Pat or other high end cast iron.

If you have to go and eat there, I'd recommend The Appalachian. The Chef there is Blackberry Farm trained.

I’ve been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg twice. Once in ‘76, wasn’t bad then, not overly crowded. Again in about 2003 and it sucked to high heavens!! To me, it’s all of the worst of a beach area, with no beach! I do love the beauty of the mountains away from the tourist trap.

The lesson here is I don't GK went into that area with an open mind. He had preconceived thoughts about how it will be.

The wife and I got a cabin up Wears Valley for our honeymoon, we made a couple runs into Townsend. Little River Gorge Road out of there into the park is a great drive and doesn't have all the traffic that the park has out of Gatlinburg, I want to explore that part of the park next time we go.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
The wife and I got a cabin up Wears Valley for our honeymoon, we made a couple runs into Townsend. Little River Gorge Road out of there into the park is a great drive and doesn't have all the traffic that the park has out of Gatlinburg, I want to explore that part of the park next time we go.

A beer on the back deck of The Abbey on the river (an old church converted to a bar) is nice. It's been a few years since I was down that way though.

The lesson here is I don't GK went into that area with an open mind. He had preconceived thoughts about how it will be.
I’ll have you know I opened my mind since yesterday. You made me think. I now believe it’s personally acceptable for parents to have their 10 year old kids stand by the road and wave “F*** Biden” signs. I’m so enlightened that we stopped at a little road side stand to buy a “Let’s Go Brandon” shirt. Unfortunately they only come in size 4X.

Now my rage is centered on the fact that restaurants don’t have calories posted on their menus here. Thanks Biden.

I’ll have you know I opened my mind since yesterday. You made me think. I now believe it’s personally acceptable for parents to have their 10 year old kids stand by the road and wave “F*** Biden” signs. I’m so enlightened that we stopped at a little road side stand to buy a “Let’s Go Brandon” shirt. Unfortunately they only come in size 4X.

Now my rage is centered on the fact that restaurants don’t have calories posted on their menus here. Thanks Biden.
I have to admit, I have a Let's GO Brandon sign

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT