ADVERTISEMENT

Expensive things that are “worth it”

I regret it everyday.
If you didn’t have the picture hanging above your bed, you’d probably not think about it everyday.

The Salt of the Earth, @murox ,
That’s a great description of him. After all of those online yards contests he’s entered, his calls to the Huntington magazine telling them about how his car should be featured on their pages, and his frequent trips to Miami trying to fit in outside of West Virginia, it’s best he just accepts his salt of the Earth place in life and embrace it.

Ehh, I don't know. Considering how many times you post about your house and cars on Facebook, you must be feeling West Virginia rich.
You don't like Christmas trees?

Nonetheless, I'm simply happy and have a wife and a lot of other things I probably don't deserve. Not sure what that makes me, but I also don't care. I'm good, man.

Reactions: WVUSerg
One expensive thing not with it: appliances. My wife had to have high end stove and oven and fridge. I stilll haven’t figured out why I paid twice what it normally would cost except the nobs are colored.

Also luxury vinyl plank is badass. Our kids go hard on it and for half the cost is durable and more beautiful than hardwood.

One expensive thing not with it: appliances. My wife had to have high end stove and oven and fridge. I stilll haven’t figured out why I paid twice what it normally would cost except the nobs are colored.

Also luxury vinyl plank is badass. Our kids go hard on it and for half the cost is durable and more beautiful than hardwood.
EDIT: i saw your post and the word "appliances", not noting yore key word, "not", and never read the rest. guess we agree. ha.

one appliance NOT worth it: washing machine

we had gone through 2 higher end the first 10 years in our house (wife had to have all the push button computerized stuff). was talking to the guy that came to try and fix the second one and asked him why they wouldn't last. he indicated that under normal use, about 5-7 years is what we could expect. told him my mom had the same one going now that she had when i lived at home thirty couple years ago. he said, yeah, like most everything, durability has declined with modern equipment in comparison to that of years ago. too many computerized parts, plastic, etc.

told him i wanted one that lasted and aksed what he recommended. his answer: buy an older model that's been refurbished. so, ending up buying one off of him for $200 and it's outlasted the others that i paid much much more for and it's still going strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: greengeezer
Not too long ago I replaced my old Sears Kenmore washer and dryer. The washer filled water to the top of the tub and the dryer got the towels so hot you could hardly touch them. I liked that.
Went with Bosch for the new ones. Look nice, but the front loading washer “saves water” by spitting out a teaspoon of water. Clothes hardy get wet. The dryer is even worse. It tells me the clothes are dry and I tell it they are not. We fight a lot. Bitch.

Not too long ago I replaced my old Sears Kenmore washer and dryer. The washer filled water to the top of the tub and the dryer got the towels so hot you could hardly touch them. I liked that.
Went with Bosch for the new ones. Look nice, but the front loading washer “saves water” by spitting out a teaspoon of water. Clothes hardy get wet. The dryer is even worse. It tells me the clothes are dry and I tell it they are not. We fight a lot. Bitch.
we still have the same matching dryer to the original front load washer we bought 17 years ago. the washer was a POS. the dryer, like you say, is extremely ho-hum, even have to dry two cycles if it's a bigger load of clothes. it works, but that's just about it.

when it dies, i'm going to the same guy that sold me the old washing machine and likely get a refurbished old dryer for a couple hundred.

If I had a newer home I would consider that vinyl - my kids can destroy anything.

BUt I have a 1920 house and have a love-hate with the old home. It has character and soul and the original hard woods are part of the soul I love.

We have KitchenAid appliances and I kind of wish we would have went higher end. We've already had some issues. We love to cook and are hard on our appliances, so though they're only around 7 years old starting to have issues.

With that said, my neighbor had a wolf oven and they started having issues with it and it was a pain in the rear to get it serviced.

COmpletely agree.

Top loader is the best. We have space issues in our small laundry closet, so had to do front loader stacked but man, we miss the top loader.

If I had a newer home I would consider that vinyl - my kids can destroy anything.

BUt I have a 1920 house and have a love-hate with the old home. It has character and soul and the original hard woods are part of the soul I love.

We have KitchenAid appliances and I kind of wish we would have went higher end. We've already had some issues. We love to cook and are hard on our appliances, so though they're only around 7 years old starting to have issues.

With that said, my neighbor had a wolf oven and they started having issues with it and it was a pain in the rear to get it serviced.
Higher end stuff is no better, but it is repairable. I have a Sub Zero that is about 7 years old and the freezer stopped working. A week later the keyboard on my Wolf oven stopped working. It was $1800 or so to replace the keyboard and the freezer compressor.

It’s planned obsolescence. Everything is garbage nowadays.

See how nice the board is when we share experiences about our appliances and don’t fight over who has the most knobs and highest capacities. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: marshallisqbu
we still have the same matching dryer to the original front load washer we bought 17 years ago. the washer was a POS. the dryer, like you say, is extremely ho-hum, even have to dry two cycles if it's a bigger load of clothes. it works, but that's just about it.

when it dies, i'm going to the same guy that sold me the old washing machine and likely get a refurbished old dryer for a couple hundred.
Take out your leaf blower, and blow out the damn lent. Just duct tape around the vent opening real good, and around the end of the blower, and that shit will fly out of the other end of the trap. Just have to hold it open with something. You'll be surprised at how much more heat you'll get in the dryer.

Reactions: big_country90
Take out your leaf blower, and blow out the damn lent. Just duct tape around the vent opening real good, and around the end of the blower, and that shit will fly out of the other end of the trap. Just have to hold it open with something. You'll be surprised at how much more heat you'll get in the dryer.

Great idea. Sure beats crawling under the front deck with a tape measure. I thread that through the duct opening and pull out gobs of lint.

Nonetheless, I'm simply happy and have a wife and a lot of other things I probably don't deserve. Not sure what that makes me, but I also don't care. I'm good, man.
Yes, and you feel the need to let everyone on social media know on a biweekly basis. I’m wondering how you don’t have joint social media pages yet. That’s the next step.

Higher end stuff is no better, but it is repairable. I have a Sub Zero that is about 7 years old and the freezer stopped working. A week later the keyboard on my Wolf oven stopped working. It was $1800 or so to replace the keyboard and the freezer compressor.

It’s planned obsolescence. Everything is garbage nowadays.
Sub Zero. Isn’t that what Nancy Pelosi has to store her $24 a quart ice cream? My passion is landscaping so I want to see some yard pics to see how I stack up. Might even get some new ideas.

Great idea. Sure beats crawling under the front deck with a tape measure. I thread that through the duct opening and pull out gobs of lint.
It's still a good idea to use the tape measure, in order to get everything out. I have a 25' dewalt tape measure, but my vent runs about 30 feet, so I scrape as good as I can prior to placing the blower on the inside end of of the duct, and then scrape from the outside end, in between blows. (insert 06 gay joke here)

I started to buy one of those commercial dryer vent brushes, but they are only about 10’ long. Probably make my own by using duct tape to put a brush on the end of a plumbing snake.

I started to buy one of those commercial dryer vent brushes, but they are only about 10’ long. Probably make my own by using duct tape to put a brush on the end of a plumbing snake.
Another thing I used a few years back was taking tent poles, the kind that insert into one another (like on a small pup tent type), and then duct taping them together. Then put a nice brush on the end with not too stiff bristles, and then you can put the non-brush end into your drill, and that works really well. Just have to make sure you tape everything really well, or then you're really screwed.

When we moved in our home last summer, it has pine flooring throughout. I despise the stuff, it shows every single ding, scratch, and childs' toy mark in existence. If it were up to me I'd replace it all with vinyl.

The boss lady loves the wood, though.

I am cheap, I go with Costco or Rite Aid brand.
Costco has a solid deal on car batteries. Prices are substantially lower than going to an Interstate Battery store. Their replacement warranty isn't prorated for the 3 years and you can add an additional 3 for $35. Take it in before the end of 6 years and replace for free.

Of course if you're a limp wrist like @WV-FAN you'll have to offer a handjob to someone in the parking lot to change the battery out for you.

Costco has a solid deal on car batteries. Prices are substantially lower than going to an Interstate Battery store. Their replacement warranty isn't prorated for the 3 years and you can add an additional 3 for $35. Take it in before the end of 6 years and replace for free.

Of course if you're a limp wrist like @WV-FAN you'll have to offer a handjob to someone in the parking lot to change the battery out for you.
Duracell batteries are the brand Costco uses to rebrand them as their own.

When we moved in our home last summer, it has pine flooring throughout. I despise the stuff, it shows every single ding, scratch, and childs' toy mark in existence. If it were up to me I'd replace it all with vinyl.

The boss lady loves the wood, though.
Pine has always been called “the poor man’s wood,” but it has its own charm. The softer pines do show every nick and ding so it is not well suited for a formal look.
What I like about all the flaws is you can look back on the history of your life in the home. That nick is where I dropped a bowl. That scratch is from bringing in the Christmas tree in 1990. That groove is where little HerdJCjr rolled the metal train engine we got him for his first birthday. So on and so on.
Your wife is very wise to want to keep the floor.

boom-mind-blown.gif

• Haha
Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Sub Zero. Isn’t that what Nancy Pelosi has to store her $24 a quart ice cream? My passion is landscaping so I want to see some yard pics to see how I stack up. Might even get some new ideas.
let me satisfy your passion. i need a complete landscape job around the abode. come get after it. i'll bring @MichiganHerd in on it, so know you'll have all the booze you can handle. he'll be bringing the ganja. i also have a traeger and blackstone, so with his stoner grilling skills, you'll eat well.

let me satisfy your passion. i need a complete landscape job around the abode. come get after it. i'll bring @MichiganHerd in on it, so know you'll have all the booze you can handle. he'll be bringing the ganja. i also have a traeger and blackstone, so with his stoner grilling skills, you'll eat well.
People tell me I do exceptional work, but I am very, very slow. It has taken me four decades of work to get mine where it is today. I’ll try and make a small montage of some of my projects.

ran into a guy not long ago that i knew back in high school and found out he was gay. never would have guessed it. not sure how it i didn't notice. was always trying to set him up with girls on dates and he always declined. i guess what should have given it away was him always trying to make eye contact when we were jerking each other off.

Pine has always been called “the poor man’s wood,” but it has its own charm. The softer pines do show every nick and ding so it is not well suited for a formal look.
What I like about all the flaws is you can look back on the history of your life in the home. That nick is where I dropped a bowl. That scratch is from bringing in the Christmas tree in 1990. That groove is where little HerdJCjr rolled the metal train engine we got him for his first birthday. So on and so on.
Your wife is very wise to want to keep the floor.

Agree.

We have hardwood in every room except the kitchen. that was pine. all floors are original.
Big rugs help, but rugs are super expensive.

I'm a HUGE proponent of doing everything you can to keep original hardwoods and windows if at all possible. Storms ont he windows helps a lot. It hurts my soul to see neighbors trade out their original windows with new ones.

Part of my issue is that the kids find ways to gouge the crap out of the floors. We're talking like 6 inch long grooves carved into them and I literally have no idea what they are doing. I've got area rugs down in the high traffic areas like our living room and study (which has turned into more of a kids TV room), but I hate having rugs all over the place.

People tell me I do exceptional work, but I am very, very slow. It has taken me four decades of work to get mine where it is today. I’ll try and make a small montage of some of my projects.
i'm in no hurry. the only possible negative to the entire job may be @MichiganHerd and i trying to out-drink each other and we end up with cirrhosis.

Agree.

We have hardwood in every room except the kitchen. that was pine. all floors are original.
Big rugs help, but rugs are super expensive.

I'm a HUGE proponent of doing everything you can to keep original hardwoods and windows if at all possible. Storms ont he windows helps a lot. It hurts my soul to see neighbors trade out their original windows with new ones.
I was going to talk about my hardwood floors, but figure somebody on here has better ones, so I'm not going to join that conversation. However, due to having an Amish woman, I'm an expert in rugs. You're right, good ones cost a decent amount, but we buy the rustic style rugs down in Holmes County or LaGrange County. Great selection at either place. We also have some really nice vintage vinyl rugs we use in certain areas, like the mud room for example. Those cost a bundle, but are well worth the investment, especially in heavy traffic areas, or in front of the oven where we have a small one. They have those at Country Gatherings in Berlin.

It hurts my soul to see neighbors trade out their original windows with new ones.
Keeping up an older window is both an art and a difficult chore. I know there was some controversy a few years ago when they changed out the old windows in our Governor’s mansion in Charleston. Many people wanted the old style windows repaired and not replaced.
My father’s medical office had the old single pane casement windows. I got pretty good over the years at scraping out the old dried up putty and troweling in a new bead. Took a lot of practice to make it look good. I bet if you asked 100 people today what window putty is for, 99 would look at you like you were crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT