ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Accountability

Ok, so you are making fun of the fact that I happened to notice that we bought yellow goal posts then slowly let them fade? Finally they look white which is ok I guess, certainly looks better then it did a few years ago. But yes... i'm the moron for expecting our facilities to look nice. As for the "red spots" yeah, crazy me for not wanting to go to a basketball game and see drops of dried blood all over the bleachers where I am sitting. I am the worst.
You're saying this is the reason fans aren't coming to the Joan...you've stated this many times.
Given the brief gathering of comments from.people on FB, a poster said pretty much everything else was the problem, not this.

As for the field paint... I mean it looks ok I guess if you're into that weathered vintage look. It's fine. Just doesn't catch the eye in a positive way. It's not big deal. And yeah... no one outside of Boise paints the logos/line on their turf field. Not one. Good point.

I'm glad you think the thunderclap is stupid. Your reason that "no one can lead it" leaves me kind of confused though. Is there a reason no one is allowed to lead it? Seems like it could be lead and would be great, if done the right way.

As for advertising... less can be more. filling up every spare second actually worsens the experience, in the long run choking future earnings. Not that we shouldn't have any advertising at all, but as was previously stated it needs to be designed with the purpose of NOT interrupting the game.

MU isn't going to replace anything until it absolutely needs to be replaced. They can't get a new turf every 5 years just because you think it doesn't look good...and why is that?

Because your idea of "less can be more" by limiting advertising dollars, once more being paid to MU...the fans don't need to pay higher prices for tickets to games...so MU can afford to make changes on schedule.

Nobody can lead it. It needs to be an established thing. A position, like the DJ booth or somewhere where the camera is, they're on the screen, and people FOLLOW that person's lead. The band doesn't need to play, the announcer can shut up and let them start it off.

Wouldn't be bad if a student were chosen to do it each week.

F*#% that. Someone needs to roll up through 9th ave and look for someone like this!!

hype-man.gif

MU isn't going to replace anything until it absolutely needs to be replaced. They can't get a new turf every 5 years just because you think it doesn't look good...and why is that?

Because your idea of "less can be more" by limiting advertising dollars, once more being paid to MU...the fans don't need to pay higher prices for tickets to games...so MU can afford to make changes on schedule.

Nobody can lead it. It needs to be an established thing. A position, like the DJ booth or somewhere where the camera is, they're on the screen, and people FOLLOW that person's lead. The band doesn't need to play, the announcer can shut up and let them start it off.

I didn’t say every 5 years…. And I didn’t even say replace the turf. Just that it’s starting to look bad and hopefully it will be replaced soon. You clearly don’t understand what I’m saying about less is more. And that’s fine. I’m not going to try and explain anything nuanced to you. Have a good one.

You're saying this is the reason fans aren't coming to the Joan...you've stated this many times.
Given the brief gathering of comments from.people on FB, a poster said pretty much everything else was the problem, not this.

lol I’ve just said I wish our athletic department cared about how our stadium looked. Sorry for hoping our university, and its facility could be the best it could possibly be. Clearly I’m out of line.

You think its bad now wait until the older fan base dies off in the next 10-20 years you will be lucky to average 15,000 a game (maybe).
This is a huge concern of mine as well. I would hope those in the Schewey and Old Main are concerned also. Although they likely haven’t thought about it

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Funny thing about your first statement. It makes zero sense.
Marshall was 2-0, thus never having blown a lead before ECU.
The loss didn't happen until the literal last play of the 4th quarter.
You're saying the crowd will increase when MU doesn't blow 17 pt leads in the 4th quarter, using hindsight, when the post was discussing literally everything before that.

MU fans blame MU and Huff for losing a 17 pt lead deep in the 4th quarter as an excuse to justify why they didn't show up in the first place...or left early before it happend.

My only question is...are you still using a DeLorean or is it a newer vehicle?
I was thinking the same. We were playing an old rival and we were 2-0 and people still didn't show up

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
To be honest our fan base is about 20-22 K, the problem is that has been the case for over 30 years. To get more butts in the seats its going to take more than winning, just look at our record under Doc. Basically our entire game day would need an overhaul and a long term commitment by our fan base. Here is what I think "should" happen:

1. First and foremost work on getting the students to consistently go to the game. I had three kids graduate from Marshall (two were girls), they were raised by me to go to these games. They will tell you first and foremost the student section is boring. How do we fix that? The DJ is a great Idea, but get somebody who knows what they are doing (even if it cost a few bucks), Second bring back the Marshall fanatics, they may still be around but you don't hear as much about them as you use to. Third get the Greeks and other clubs on campus involved. Fourth and to me this is the most critical, but controversial, move the student section behind the Opposing team like Penn State. I realize most AD's don't have the balls to do this because it would take work lobbying other CUSA AD's to change their rules and you may alienate current season ticket holders.

2. Change the tailgate culture. Too many people either never make it into the game, or leave at half. How do we change this? To be honest I am not sure, but here is what I think "could" work. Do not show the game on the jumbotron, and make sure the TV's in the press box are not showing the game where tailgaters can see. Amazes me how many people never have the intention of going into the game because they know they can party and watch the game from their tailgate spot. Do promos specifically addressing this issue stressing how important it is for the fans to be at the "entire game". In addition, offer a free beer to anybody with a ticket at the 8 minute mark of the third quarter, plus sale an alcohol drink that caters to the non-beer drinkers. Finally, the hardcore fans need to encourage, or guilt the people they know that sit outside to go to the game (peer pressure).

3. Ticket prices. This is not rocket science here. We are in an economically depressed area, population dwindling, and competing against five P-5 schools within four hours. We need to designate those upper end zone seats for families, in other words you must buy at "least" three tickets for $40, each additional ticket will be $15. The idea is to fill seats that are not being filled right now, plus make the games an event that you want to attend.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
To be honest our fan base is about 20-22 K, the problem is that has been the case for over 30 years. To get more butts in the seats its going to take more than winning, just look at our record under Doc. Basically our entire game day would need an overhaul and a long term commitment by our fan base. Here is what I think "should" happen:

1. First and foremost work on getting the students to consistently go to the game. I had three kids graduate from Marshall (two were girls), they were raised by me to go to these games. They will tell you first and foremost the student section is boring. How do we fix that? The DJ is a great Idea, but get somebody who knows what they are doing (even if it cost a few bucks), Second bring back the Marshall fanatics, they may still be around but you don't hear as much about them as you use to. Third get the Greeks and other clubs on campus involved. Fourth and to me this is the most critical, but controversial, move the student section behind the Opposing team like Penn State. I realize most AD's don't have the balls to do this because it would take work lobbying other CUSA AD's to change their rules and you may alienate current season ticket holders.

2. Change the tailgate culture. Too many people either never make it into the game, or leave at half. How do we change this? To be honest I am not sure, but here is what I think "could" work. Do not show the game on the jumbotron, and make sure the TV's in the press box are not showing the game where tailgaters can see. Amazes me how many people never have the intention of going into the game because they know they can party and watch the the game. Do promos specifically addressing this issue stressing how important it is for the fans to be at the "entire game". In addition, offer a free beer to anybody with a ticket at the 8 minute mark of the third quarter, plus sale an alcohol drink that caters to women. Finally, the hardcore fans need to encourage, or guilt the people they know that sit outside to go to the game (peer pressure).

3. Ticket prices. This is not rocket science here. We are in an economically depressed area, population dwindling, and competing against five P-5 schools within four hours. We need to designate those upper end zone seats for families, in other words you must buy at "least" three tickets for $40, each additional ticket will be $15. The idea is to fill seats that are not being filled right, plus make the games an event that you want to attend.

Just my two cents.
Excellent post. Those who say tix prices in this area doesn’t matter obviously don’t know simple economics or the demographics of our area.

Why do minor leagues have dirt cheap tickets and promos going on almost every game? To draw fans.

Why do minor leagues have dirt cheap tickets and promos going on almost every game? To draw fans.
Umm, mainly because the Major League team pays the players, pays the coaches, pays for the uniforms, pays for 90% of the travel, and pays the team owner a fee for the service.

Now, your detailed plan to cover the cost of I-A football without the people that watch it paying a correct price for it is?

Umm, mainly because the Major League team pays the players, pays the coaches, pays for the uniforms, pays for 90% of the travel, and pays the team owner a fee for the service.

Now, your detailed plan to cover the cost of I-A football without the people that watch it paying a correct price for it is?
He’s just venting. No plan whatsoever.

Reactions: The Real SamC

2. Change the tailgate culture. Too many people either never make it into the game, or leave at half. How do we change this? To be honest I am not sure, but here is what I think "could" work. Do not show the game on the jumbotron, and make sure the TV's in the press box are not showing the game where tailgaters can see. Amazes me how many people never have the intention of going into the game because they know they can party and watch the game from their tailgate spot. Do promos specifically addressing this issue stressing how important it is for the fans to be at the "entire game". In addition, offer a free beer to anybody with a ticket at the 8 minute mark of the third quarter, plus sale an alcohol drink that caters to the non-beer drinkers. Finally, the hardcore fans need to encourage, or guilt the people they know that sit outside to go to the game (peer pressure).

3. Ticket prices. This is not rocket science here. We are in an economically depressed area, population dwindling, and competing against five P-5 schools within four hours. We need to designate those upper end zone seats for families, in other words you must buy at "least" three tickets for $40, each additional ticket will be $15. The idea is to fill seats that are not being filled right now, plus make the games an event that you want to attend.

Just my two cents.

1. Not sure how much else you want to put into the student section without having to spend more money. Would be nice to have some student led chant or some new tradition, reserved for the 3rd quarter so they'll stay. Something like Jump Around at UW, they do that in the 3rd so the students at least have to stay for that.
Did you mean Maniacs? Didn't MU used to have a contest every game where they picked the best student fan from the game and gave them a small bag of gifts and whatnot? Maybe bring that back so students have incentive to attend.
The Greeks? What Greeks? MU has never been helpful to them, despite they being a presence on campus. It would be nice to deisgnate them a few tailgate spots, even though this may encourage underage drinking (Greeks are insanely strict, despite knowing it happens all the time) its all about appearances.
The fans bitched about seat changes, hot dogs, and even beer. No way they'd go for a complete seating change as you're saying.

Something they should do, is try and invite as many county schools as they can, maybe designate them for the football teams, and let them attend. Perhaps a free drink and pretzel if they wear MU green.
It'd be cool if every season, they were able to get all the counties in WV, or at least as many of their football teams as they could. Make it an annual thing.

2. Well, the whole "peer pressure" sort of exists on here and its torn the board apart.
I think local businesses and MU could do better to coordinate something. The local businesses push going to the game, in return MU says the ticket stub gets you something at said business after the game...maybe even to sweeten the deal, give them free advertising at the game...sorry Reds.
You aren't going to tell the box seat holders what they can and cannot watch. Those seats ain't cheap, let them do whatever.
No way you don't show the game on the jumbotron either. Actually, MU doesn't show enough of the game it seems.

3. Lowering ticket prices is something our business school should look at. I mean it, some entity with financial experience to see if it is feesable, when weighted against what MU will need to pay for to increase the atmosphere.
I do know changing ticket prices can be a bad thing. Marcum did it to UMass basketball when they fell on hard times and it sunk the program even worse (I think he raised them to offset the cost of low attendance), even though its the opposite, I'm just saying, we may not benefit from it in the long haul.

Also, I don't recall ticket prices being a problem for; wvu, VT, Purdue, NC State, and Louisville.
People will find ways to go to games they want to attend.

Much of whats being wanted, is going to cost money, and if you don't want a rise in ticket prices, you'll have to endure advertising to pay for these luxuries.
Yes, I get that the team needs to win. But that's a whole other world as we know.

One thing the papers can do, is actually try to give each game a narrative of some kind. Maybe build on the idea of fan support being what elevates Marshall to a new conference. The HD did this with Elmore's quest for setting the scoring record, or else why in the blue hell would anyone have had an interest in a 4th rate basketball tournament?

The same can be done for football with some of these games. It'd take an effort, but even wvu fans can talk up playing at Ohio U...why can't we with what we have?

Create entertainment value late in the game beyond the game itself. Whether that be giveaways of some kind, fireworks after the game or something along those lines, or other simpler ideas like a tradition of the fans singing a song to start the 4th quarter something that grows. Really anything to get fans who are on the fence to stay. Also, don't allow re-entry. Leave the stadium and you're gone. Widen the concourse so that people don't feel like they have to leave to get a drink or food and that they can do that quickly.

Create a sense of surprise in your customers. Do things unexpected during the 4th quarter so that your fans have a reason to stay. Mix that with tradition and you will see more fans stick around.
Wait a minute. We have DJ Herd That

• Haha
You think its bad now wait until the older fan base dies off in the next 10-20 years you will be lucky to average 15,000 a game (maybe).
Could very well be that in the next 20 years or so will there be 15,000 to 20,000 people LIVING in Huntington? That is the real gist to a big part of MU's problems, both athletically AND academically!! Especially given that the University has modest to minimal support in other areas of the State and its promotion, recruitment efforts (for students) as well as for fans, ticket buyers, etc., are poor to non existent!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Could very well be that in the next 20 years or so will there be 15,000 to 20,000 people LIVING in Huntington? That is the real gist to a big part of MU's problems, both athletically AND academically!! Especially given that the University has modest to minimal support in other areas of the State and its promotion, recruitment efforts (for students) as well as for fans, ticket buyers, etc., are poor to non existent!

I'm concerned about the health of the town itself and how that impacts enrollment and engagement from alumni and residents.
I'm apprehensive about my kids going to school there based on media reports and anecdotes from conversations.

I'm concerned about the health of the town itself and how that impacts enrollment and engagement from alumni and residents.
I'm apprehensive about my kids going to school there based on media reports and anecdotes from conversations.
Why are you hesitant about sending your kids here? The town is safe. My 3 have never had an issue. Simple rule - stay away from certain sections of town late at night, and don’t go looking for trouble. Like any other city in the country.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
1. Not sure how much else you want to put into the student section without having to spend more money. Would be nice to have some student led chant or some new tradition, reserved for the 3rd quarter so they'll stay. Something like Jump Around at UW, they do that in the 3rd so the students at least have to stay for that.
Did you mean Maniacs? Didn't MU used to have a contest every game where they picked the best student fan from the game and gave them a small bag of gifts and whatnot? Maybe bring that back so students have incentive to attend.
The Greeks? What Greeks? MU has never been helpful to them, despite they being a presence on campus. It would be nice to deisgnate them a few tailgate spots, even though this may encourage underage drinking (Greeks are insanely strict, despite knowing it happens all the time) its all about appearances.
The fans bitched about seat changes, hot dogs, and even beer. No way they'd go for a complete seating change as you're saying.

Something they should do, is try and invite as many county schools as they can, maybe designate them for the football teams, and let them attend. Perhaps a free drink and pretzel if they wear MU green.
It'd be cool if every season, they were able to get all the counties in WV, or at least as many of their football teams as they could. Make it an annual thing.

2. Well, the whole "peer pressure" sort of exists on here and its torn the board apart.
I think local businesses and MU could do better to coordinate something. The local businesses push going to the game, in return MU says the ticket stub gets you something at said business after the game...maybe even to sweeten the deal, give them free advertising at the game...sorry Reds.
You aren't going to tell the box seat holders what they can and cannot watch. Those seats ain't cheap, let them do whatever.
No way you don't show the game on the jumbotron either. Actually, MU doesn't show enough of the game it seems.

3. Lowering ticket prices is something our business school should look at. I mean it, some entity with financial experience to see if it is feesable, when weighted against what MU will need to pay for to increase the atmosphere.
I do know changing ticket prices can be a bad thing. Marcum did it to UMass basketball when they fell on hard times and it sunk the program even worse (I think he raised them to offset the cost of low attendance), even though its the opposite, I'm just saying, we may not benefit from it in the long haul.

Also, I don't recall ticket prices being a problem for; wvu, VT, Purdue, NC State, and Louisville.
People will find ways to go to games they want to attend.

Much of whats being wanted, is going to cost money, and if you don't want a rise in ticket prices, you'll have to endure advertising to pay for these luxuries.
Yes, I get that the team needs to win. But that's a whole other world as we know.

One thing the papers can do, is actually try to give each game a narrative of some kind. Maybe build on the idea of fan support being what elevates Marshall to a new conference. The HD did this with Elmore's quest for setting the scoring record, or else why in the blue hell would anyone have had an interest in a 4th rate basketball tournament?

The same can be done for football with some of these games. It'd take an effort, but even wvu fans can talk up playing at Ohio U...why can't we with what we have?
There is more perceived value when a name or P5 program comes to town. That’s a given. Not so much for Rice, Charlotte, et al.

Why are you hesitant about sending your kids here? The town is safe. My 3 have never had an issue. Simple rule - stay away from certain sections of town late at night, and don’t go looking for trouble. Like any other city in the country.
I'd be apprehensive/concerned but if that's where they want to go I wouldn't hesitate.
It's years from now and I hope Huntington's population, economy, and overall outlook improve.

As Sam will tell you, hoping for something is akin to thinking that MU will move up to the AMERICAN!! I will say I believe Huntington is staring down the same barrel as umpteen other small towns across America in the next 15-20 years.........

Huntington suffers from two perceptional issues.

One is that the way the interstate is set up people drive through the worst neighborhood, home of the most work-resistant of the city’s work resistors, and the most nightcrawlerish of the city’s night crawlers, in order to reach either campus or downtown. Charleston, or any other city of this size or larger, has just as much of this, but these are places that are easy to avoid and thus no one ever sees them.

The other is WSAZ. WSAZ is Huntington based. Since ratings began in this area in 1968, WSAZ news has never gotten a rating less than double both 8/11 and 13 combined. The others are Charleston based and neither covers any news that happens west of Dunbar. This means that half the state sees the crime news and sees the city’s pro drug mayor pontificating on a daily basis.

These cause a perception, and that perception hurts Marshall in general student recruiting. But it is just a perception. As others have stated above, reality is that if you stay in the places you belong, you are fine. And reality is, aside from the VASTLY superior eduction Marshall provides over any other in-state choice, the lifestyle Marshall and Huntington provide is grand, contrasted to the other state choices which consist of one stop light hick towns, commuter student de facto community colleges, and USPAM, where native West Virginians, particularly those from South Of Sixty, are looked down upon and ridiculed.

As to the Huntington economy, not that much different from any other rust belt town anywhere in the formerly industrial Midwest. Far beyond the writ of the board to solve, although I will say that local politicians of both parties hair-brained ideas about economic development are just so for consumption by rubes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT