ADVERTISEMENT

First Day With New Hoops Players...

So, meister - even w/o Sustic & Mikel - what were your impressions of the newbies?

Also - sounds like several Herdies showed up to get a peek....

Reactions: tradebait
So, meister - even w/o Sustic & Mikel - what were your impressions of the newbies?

Also - sounds like several Herdies showed up to get a peek....
I loved them all. I was able to see both Beyers and Sustic when they were here for workouts so I know what they look like. In fact, Beyers will be competing for starting minutes IMO.
Looking forward to seeing Sustic again this morning when he joins the squad. He was allowed to come in a couple days late to save about $1000 on his plane ticket. He was to have arrived yesterday afternoon. Beyers will be here for practice on July 23.

I loved them all. I was able to see both Beyers and Sustic when they were here for workouts so I know what they look like. In fact, Beyers will be competing for starting minutes IMO.
Looking forward to seeing Sustic again this morning when he joins the squad. He was allowed to come in a couple days late to save about $1000 on his plane ticket. He was to have arrived yesterday afternoon. Beyers will be here for practice on July 23.
Sustic had 4 flight delays in flying from Croatia via Rome and Charlotte. Arrived in HTS at 1:20 am. He was on the sidelines this morning. His first official practice will be Monday at 7:00 am.

apparently pronunciation is ON-tay SUstich. Looking at pics from 1st shoot-a-round : This years team is going to have a great balance between experience & youth. Seniors teaching, but also learning from the young-uns. Damn, we are long. Go HERD !!!

There are about 60 people showing up at the practices. Next one is Monday morning at 7 a.m.

There is some kind of new NCAA rule that allows them eight hours a week, four of which can be on the floor. I think you have to be enrolled in summer school to take part. Jon is not participating, but he can't get much better anyway.

We absolutely stole the two kids from Ohio. Both Taveon and Cam can catch the ball off an alley oop, do a 360 and dunk backwards over their heads! Taveon has arms that hang to his knees -- longest I've seen since the 37-inchers of Mike D'Antoni. Jeremy Dillon is smooth as silk and can consistently hit that little 15-ft. dishrag jumper we've been missing.

The 6'11'' Sustic arrived from out west early this morning, but couldn't dress because he hasn't had a physical yet (it took place this afternoon). He sat beside us and was, literally, twitching with excitement to get on court. The other big kid will be here later. I hate that Peneva is gone, but am happy we have these two.

Iran is making great progress and will be a contributor as an inside force. He is deceivingly quick and and can slip in a dunk with the blink of an eye. Peel another 20/25 lbs. off of him -- and they're working on that, hard -- and he will be what we've longed dreamed of.

All of these kids are just as social and polite as they can be. It is obvious that they have good character. And the older one's are taking them under their wing.

Danny is downright giddy about it. "It ain't gonna be like when I first got here, he said. "We're gonna have some depth!"

apparently pronunciation is ON-tay SUstich. Looking at pics from 1st shoot-a-round : This years team is going to have a great balance between experience & youth. Seniors teaching, but also learning from the young-uns. Damn, we are long. Go HERD !!!
"Shoe Stitch" That's what it sounded like to me when I asked him. Ivan had told me that a couple weeks ago as well. He and Ivan are from the same hometown

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
There are about 60 people showing up at the practices. Next one is Monday morning at 7 a.m.

There is some kind of new NCAA rule that allows them eight hours a week, four of which can be on the floor. I think you have to be enrolled in summer school to take part. Jon is not participating, but he can't get much better anyway.

We absolutely stole the two kids from Ohio. Both Taveon and Cam can catch the ball off an alley oop, do a 360 and dunk backwards over their heads! Taveon has arms that hang to his knees -- longest I've seen since the 37-inchers of Mike D'Antoni. Jeremy Dillon is smooth as silk and can consistently hit that little 15-ft. dishrag jumper we've been missing.

The 6'11'' Sustic arrived from out west early this morning, but couldn't dress because he hasn't had a physical yet (it took place this afternoon). He sat beside us and was, literally, twitching with excitement to get on court. The other big kid will be here later. I hate that Peneva is gone, but am happy we have these two.

Iran is making great progress and will be a contributor as an inside force. He is deceivingly quick and and can slip in a dunk with the blink of an eye. Peel another 20/25 lbs. off of him -- and they're working on that, hard -- and he will be what we've longed dreamed of.

All of these kids are just as social and polite as they can be. It is obvious that they have good character. And the older one's are taking them under their wing.

Danny is downright giddy about it. "It ain't gonna be like when I first got here, he said. "We're gonna have some depth!"

Thank you, @Tim Hensley!

So, new thought/? popped into my head: Will this be the tallest average-height team MUBB has ever put on the hardwood??

I'm a little worried about Bennett. The guy has had a long time to work his way down to a playing weight, and he's still got a ways to go? If he hasn't gotten there in the last two years, what are the chances he'll be in shape by November?

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I'm a little worried about Bennett. The guy has had a long time to work his way down to a playing weight, and he's still got a ways to go? If he hasn't gotten there in the last two years, what are the chances he'll be in shape by November?
I think I've read that we only want him to lose about another 20 pounds or so....that's nothing for a man his size.

Reactions: pdbailey
Last week on weigh in day he was 356. Down from 378. They would love him to be 320. Not sure that is doable but those that have seen him know that the weight has not been a problem for him.

If he can get to 335 he will be fine... You cant expect a guy that size to play 35+ minutes a night. But with our ability (propensity) to play small, I don't think 35 mins are in the gameplan anyway. If he can give us 20 hard nosed, bull in a China shop, clear the paint of all intruders, minutes that would be a big asset when we run into teams with true centers.

If he can get to 335 he will be fine... You cant expect a guy that size to play 35+ minutes a night. But with our ability (propensity) to play small, I don't think 35 mins are in the gameplan anyway. If he can give us 20 hard nosed, bull in a China shop, clear the paint of all intruders, minutes that would be a big asset when we run into teams with true centers.
Believe me, he is no bull in the china shop. Quick feet and soft hands. He, like all our players will spend plenty of time on the perimeter with pick and rolls a plenty.

The Enforcer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT