ADVERTISEMENT

FYI...

Jul 6, 2016
WVU IMG Sports‏@WVUIMGSports
Lyons on playing Marshall: If they want to play, we will play them here (Morgantown). There hasn't been much interest on their part.

"But one team has not been discussed.

West Virginia hasn’t played Marshall in football since the 2012 season and basketball since 2015. And according to Lyons there have been no discussions on continuing either.

The two teams met on the gridiron in an annual sense from 2006-12 in what was referred to as the Friends of Coal Bowl. Overall, the two teams have met 12 times with West Virginia winning each. On the basketball side of things, the Mountaineers and Thundering Herd had met annually in Charleston since 1992 until the end of the series prior to last year. The Mountaineers lead the all-time series 33-11.

There have been no discussions to reignite the series.

“If they want to play we’ll play them here but there hasn’t been a lot of interest in that,” he said."

Last edited:
Does it matter? In 10 years they're going to be in the newfound AAC (possibly with us already being a member) when the major conferences shift around once more and take in 16 teams and leave the likes of wvu and several other mid/low tier P5 schools in the dust. They'll have no choice but to play us as wel will both be in the land of misfit football programs.

WVU will be a P5 either in the SEC or ACC

ACC will never take "Heathergate U", mark it down. SEC more likely, especially when Texas and OU leave for the PAC 12 and/or Big 10, and Big 12 disintegrates. SEC may take a western school from B12 and also take WVU for geographic balance.

I can see A&M and LSU pushing for TCU and Baylor as a way to push Alabama and Auburn to the East and Missouri to the West.

The ACC will be left with Notre Dame, WVU, and UCONN.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I can see A&M and LSU pushing for TCU and Baylor as a way to push Alabama and Auburn to the East and Missouri to the West.

The ACC will be left with Notre Dame, WVU, and UCONN.

I doubt the SEC even takes wvu...academics got them rejected the last go around.
What exactly does wvu even bring to the SEC that they don't already have?
The ACC has too many former wvu schools to say, "Hell no, their fans are garbage."
The ACC takes UConn and Navy or Cincy...they'd control the entire coast from Miami to CT...plus better academics and more resources.
The SEC would take someone like TCU and Baylor. Both of whom would just get out their checkbooks and click their pens asking, "How much??"

Not saying wvu has no chance but they'd be pretty far down the list of applicants. There are far, far more valuable schools with more to offer.

I doubt the SEC even takes wvu...academics got them rejected the last go around.
The ACC has too many former wvu schools to say, "Hell no, their fans are garbage."
The ACC takes UConn and Navy or Cincy...they'd control the entire coast from Miami to CT...plus better academics and more resources.
The SEC would take someone like TCU and Baylor. Both of whom would just get out their checkbooks and click their pens asking, "How much??"

Not saying wvu has no chance but they'd be pretty far down the list of applicants. There are far, far more valuable schools with more to offer.

So you think UConn, Cincinnati, Navy or even Baylor at this point are more likely to be included in ACC/SEC realignment than WVU?

Interesting. Why?

ACC will never take "Heathergate U", mark it down. SEC more likely, especially when Texas and OU leave for the PAC 12 and/or Big 10, and Big 12 disintegrates. SEC may take a western school from B12 and also take WVU for geographic balance.

At one time I would have been with you but recent years have changed my opinion. With the addition of VT and, much worse, Louisville and the revelations of massive decades long institutionally condoned and covered up academic fraud in Chappa Hale I believe the ACC standards have been severely damaged. Heathergate, though very troubling, is absolutely nothing compared to what took place at unc-cheatin hill for at least 20 years.
I've reconciled in my mind all that matters is dollars and football, football and dollars.

I hope that we never have to play them again. It doesn't prove anything and causes mindless arguments with idiots. Mountaineer fans are truly, dumb. I had a mounty fan tell me to go back to west virginia.. think about that..( standing in WV )

Marshall and WVU will never play in a televised sporting event ever again.

They've been smug, condescending dicks who want to pretend like they earned the century of state funding that built their program, but we haven't exactly played the game we needed to play, from a PR standpoint, to foster public sympathy or support among common West Virginians.

$2M check and we will play them there

That is more money than most bowls pay out. Why would WVU ever even consider paying Marshall that ? Just to make Herd fans happy ? I don't think so.........there are too many other teams that WVU can get to visit Morgantown for far less money.

Last edited:
Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
That is more money than most bowls pay out. Why would WVU ever even consider paying Marshall that ? Just to make Herd fans happy ? I don't think so.........there are too many other teams that WVU can get to visit Morgantown for far less money.

Because South Carolina is paying us $1.8M to play them next year??

Reactions: pdbailey
To be precise, TwolfHerdfan, I would say (1) their alumni; (2) just about all of the first of the month, food stamp toting, welfare crowd at Walmart; and (3) rest of the state's population with an IQ of 70 and below (by federal disability standards, the mentally retarded)!!
I will never get this misguided belief that WVU fans are all welfare Walmart shoppers. Or the idea of the being retarded.

Have you ever been to Huntington? Have you seen the insanely low level of human being that lives in a large portion of Cabell County?

And you want to find retarded, have you ever listened to some of the members of the football team or know about the basically brain dead people that get accepted to Marshall?

I will never get this misguided belief that WVU fans are all welfare Walmart shoppers. Or the idea of the being retarded.

Have you ever been to Huntington? Have you seen the insanely low level of human being that lives in a large portion of Cabell County?

And you want to find retarded, have you ever listened to some of the members of the football team or know about the basically brain dead people that get accepted to Marshall?

Yeah, 'cause Star City, Hundred and those areas are bursting with Mensa candidates. The only habitable area in the 'Hole is the Cheat Lake area.

south Carolina sells out over 80,000....wvu is much lower capacity which impacts ability to pay. they can't offer enough and don't want to.

What? Did you see how much WVU brought in revenue wise the last few years? Our Budget is about the same amount of money they will bring in just from the Big XII TV contract which they now get their full share. Don't be naive

Yeah, ok.

You think WVU is "Harvard on the Monongahela", Celt? You been in ANY of the other 54 counties of the state, not just on the first of the month but throughout the month? The number of cretins, inbreds, and mental basket cases, etc., sporting the flying WV is amazing. And you think all of Holgy's team are majoring in nuclear engineering, computer science, pre-med, etc.? Get real, dude!

You think WVU is "Harvard on the Monongahela", Celt? You been in ANY of the other 54 counties of the state, not just on the first of the month but throughout the month? The number of cretins, inbreds, and mental basket cases, etc., sporting the flying WV is amazing. And you think all of Holgy's team are majoring in nuclear engineering, computer science, pre-med, etc.? Get real, dude!
You clearly enjoy talking out of your ass, and avoiding the point.

What? Did you see how much WVU brought in revenue wise the last few years? Our Budget is about the same amount of money they will bring in just from the Big XII TV contract which they now get their full share. Don't be naive

you are foolish

MU and wvu have the exact same admissions requirements, and NCAA requirements are universal . Fvck off with your your better than thou bullshit on our board.

http://admissions.wvu.edu/how-to-apply/first-time-freshmen#anchor-freshmanreqs

http://www.marshall.edu/admissions/freshmen/

Who's retarded now?

Just wondering...

am I the only one on this board that finds it amusing that fellow West Virginians spend countless hours on message boards arguing over which segment of the state's population is the most retarded?

Yes. Because it's apparent.

mj-laughing.gif

You can't possibly believe anything you said in that post...

The SEC don't give a **** about Academics. They still allow NQs, 2 per team.

WVU will eventually end up in the SEC or ACC and Marshall fans will just have to deal with it.

You clearly enjoy talking out of your ass, and avoiding the point.

No, the point, aside from the one on top of your head, dickweed, is that you are, sadly, one of the people with some Marshall association, apparently, who want to put the cruds up in Morganhole on some kind of pedestal. How has their exalted position worked out for the state all these years, "moron"? I'll put you on the list of Mounty lovers I noted above to give it balance and give you some satisfaction! Happy now?

No, the point, aside from the one on top of your head, dickweed, is that you are, sadly, one of the people with some Marshall association, apparently, who want to put the cruds up in Morganhole on some kind of pedestal. How has their exalted position worked out for the state all these years, "moron"? I'll put you on the list of Mounty lovers I noted above to give it balance and give you some satisfaction! Happy now?

So to you not completely bashing WVU or its' fans is the same as "putting them up on a pedestal". To not say all non-alumni WVU fans are not welfare trash is the same as calling WVU the "Harvard on the Monongahela".

Reminds me of those that call others Nazis or Nazi-sympathizers just because of political disagreements. Sad!

*Unlike

Donald Trump likes wvu.

Wvu won't go anywhere. Their school is a joke and at best, middle of the pack P5 program. They'll be just fine competing with the likes of ECU, Boise, and Houston. They have no money, their fans are pricks, and their administration is so ass backwards thst the non academic caring SEC rejected them because of academics.
Wvu fans are just going to have to accept reality, they are not a premiere program and are not going to be chosen in the future.

Donald Trump likes wvu.

Wvu won't go anywhere. Their school is a joke and at best, middle of the pack P5 program. They'll be just fine competing with the likes of ECU, Boise, and Houston. They have no money, their fans are pricks, and their administration is so ass backwards thst the non academic caring SEC rejected them because of academics.
Wvu fans are just going to have to accept reality, they are not a premiere program and are not going to be chosen in the future.
Wow I am no fan of WV U but their sports budget is something like 70 million. They have plenty of money

Actually, the athletic budget was $85.9 million Revenues were $105 million. As AD Lyons said this week, WVU is stashing cash away in anticipation of TV revenue dropping when the current TV deals expire. The point is, now that the loan for the Big East exit fees has been fully repaid, and WVU is receiving a full share of the Big XII payout, WVU is in the best financial shape ever. To say that WVU "has no money" is just silly.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Actually, the athletic budget was $85.9 million Revenues were $105 million. As AD Lyons said this week, WVU is stashing cash away in anticipation of TV revenue dropping when the current TV deals expire. The point is, now that the loan for the Big East exit fees has been fully repaid, and WVU is receiving a full share of the Big XII payout, WVU is in the best financial shape ever. To say that WVU "has no money" is just silly.

The tens of millions are given to them by the Big 12. The fact they had to take out a loan to leave the Big East says they don't have cash laying around...and certainly rely heavily on pretty much everyone else in the Big 12 to make revenue for them since the morgantown market is terrible, the state of WV is broke as it is, and academic budget cuts across the board.
If Superconferences happen, wvu may have money to offer (contingent upon success in the Big 12 because WVians are as fairweather as they come) but literally nothing else, shile other potential candidates have much, much more.

The tens of millions are given to them by the Big 12. The fact they had to take out a loan to leave the Big East says they don't have cash laying around...and certainly rely heavily on pretty much everyone else in the Big 12 to make revenue for them since the morgantown market is terrible, the state of WV is broke as it is, and academic budget cuts across the board.
If Superconferences happen, wvu may have money to offer (contingent upon success in the Big 12 because WVians are as fairweather as they come) but literally nothing else, shile other potential candidates have much, much more.

Lol other candidates like UConn, Navy and Cincinnati, amirite?

Keep us updated on how the P5 sweep goes this year.

They have to stash cash due to the enormous debt they took on relative to facilities. If the TV revenue declines significantly, they won't have the cash flow for debt service. Smart move by your AD to create the raining day fund, Luck overspent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT