ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Basketball

I hate to say this but....we beat an Xavier team that had two starters that didn't play at all due to injuries, and a third starter got hurt at the end of the first half and didn't play in the second half.

So...we basically played against their bench, not the true top 10 team.

We shall see, what we shall see...as the league play begins.

WRONG.
..The Herd lost 81-77 after being down by 20 at the half. Xavier is CERTAINLY a Top 10 team......

HerdZilla22

I think you’re 100% correct in what you say about how different Doc & Dan answer questions and interact with the media and that has a lot to do with the love affair with Dan. Dan is blunt, honest, very discriptive, kinda funny/quirky, and gives the impression that he isn’t hiding anything. Doc is Mr. Cliche, coach speak, doesn’t want to openly discuss/describe anything, etc. Pruett was much like Dan and I think people loved him for being that way. Marshall has a small community type of fan base. It isn’t wvu, NC St, Florida, etc. Dan is kind of a less vulgar version of Mike Leach. People love Mike Leach, but I’m not sure how his style would work at a major school where you need to be more buttoned up...and that’s how Doc is. I’ve heard behind the scenes Doc has a pretty good sense of humor and you’ll see him take that wall down every now & then when he’s talking about a player he really likes and he REALLY starts talking out of the side of his mouth and lets a few cuss words slip. I honestly think people would love him if he’d let more of that show.

As far us having too many WV players, I couldn’t disagree more. We’ve got 5 on scholarship on our roster and only 1 isn’t currently contributing at a high level. I wouldn’t mind also having Chase Harler (WVU). I wish we could have had Luke Frampton (Davidson) and Chase Johnson (Florida). Could have used Nathan Adrien (wvu) last year. Chase Feiler (Florida Gulf Coast) would have been a great player here...same as Chase Fischer (Wake Forest/BYU). Tyrone Goard would have been a decent player here if he wasn’t a head case. What about Grantham (Clemson)? Levi Cook will add a nice presence to our team next season. There’s a couple players currently at Fairmont who could be coming here, but if wvu offers, they’ll be going there. Should we not go after them? There’s also a 6’9 kid who could develop into a Patrick Patterson type of player at Chapmanville. Should we not go after him? Logan has a kid who has an offer from us and wvu. Should we not go after him? John Beilein made a trip to WV to see Jarrod West in person...but since he’s from WV and he plays at Marshall, I guess he isnt good?

Our problem isn’t that we have a Jon Elmore, CJ Burks, Rondale Watson, & Jarrod West. Our problem wasn’t that we had Stevie Browning. Our problem isn’t that we’re getting Jeremy Dillon...and hopefully some of the guys I mentioned above. We’re going to have 3-5 WV guys on the roster, sprinkled with a few guys from OH/VA, and a few guys from other areas (FL, GA, NC, overseas, etc). We can definitely win with that. Some of our past rosters could have used more WV guys.

I want to add some info to your excellent post.
I spoke with Asst-Head Coach Cline last year about WV players verses very talented players from the Charlotte area. His exact words...."Sweeney, we do look at Charlotte area players [during AAU play], as well as guys from Ky, Ohio, Virginia, etc-----take Charlotte area guys for example.....the Top 10 are going to opt for the ACC, SEC, and other conferences. At the end of the day----we believe top players from West Virginia are equal in talent to players outside the Top 10 in Charlotte area....and in most nearby states." If we believe a WV young man can make it in the classroom (FIRST)...and learn to play in our designed system...then we will recruit him aggressively. Kids like to play in front of family & friends." Dan's system is to recruit guys that can convert the 3-ball with regularity, better than average shooters, rebound and play defense. They must show they have the stamina to run for the entire game. Many HS players can not run for the entire contest.

I have spoken to Doc in private settings...YES, Doc is witty and funny. With the media...he plays "Coach Speak." Dan, on the other hand has always been the joking one in the family and he thrives on "playing games with reporters that ask the same mundane questions." He can be very serious too.....and his love for Marshall shows on his sleeves. Go back & watch his first day of the job....."I have come home Dr. Haley (died on the plane crash).....like you always hoped I would---and this is my dream job." Marshall is fortunate to have both Dan & Doc.....IN MY OPINION!

I think you folks (20s-40s) get all hung up on youthful coaches. They don't give senior citizens enough credit. Perhaps, they look at their own Dads...and surmise all guys in a certain age group is "over the hill/' NOT THE CASE with many of us.......

Go HERD...
HerdZilla (SWEENEY) 22

Ha Ha not even close dan. I say that cause unlike some I realize that it takes time to build a program the right way. The Herd plays in a one bid conference so it is either win the tourney or wait another year. We are moving forward and I can live with that.

Do you think that playing only 1 or 2 top flight programs per year and having narrow losses against them is an indication of building a program? I mean, most of those programs have games against teams from C-USA and similar leagues sandwiched between much tougher, for them, competition, so taking such a game lightly could be a natural outcome.

What would be your definition of success for a team from a one bid league such as ours? Would it be 26 wins and winning the conference for the charity NCAA invite, or 23 wins and an invitation to the NIT?

I remember one year they actually paid money to play in a tournament. Would pay to play be considered a successful year?

Last edited:
Do you think that playing only 1 or 2 top flight programs per year and having narrow losses against them is an indication of building a program? I mean, most of those programs have games against teams from C-USA and similar leagues sandwiched between much tougher, for them, competition, so taking such a game lightly could be a natural outcome.

What would be your definition of success for a team from a one bid league such as ours? Would it be 26 wins and winning the conference for the charity NCAA invite, or 23 wins and an invitation to the NIT?

I remember one year they actually paid money to play in a tournament. Would pay to play be considered a successful year?
wow to answer your question now. Yes, if before we were getting blown out in the past and are now competitive I say that is progress. Last year we played Ohio State and lost by 41, so i will take a 4 point loss to the #9 team in the nation and say that is progressWe schedule who we can get to play us.Do you want to spend the entire OOC portion of the schedule playing in Columbus or Lexington?Good luck getting some of these schools to play at the Cam. Would you rather play 13 teams we have no chance of beating? Can you name a single year in the history of Marshall basketball where we scheduled anything harder? Look all you will but you will be hard pressed to find more than 1-2 seasons in the past 60 years where our OOC was anything special or any harder. The conference we are now in is a higher ranked conference than the Southern Conference was and currently a few spots behind the MAC in RPI. What would you suggest we do? I don't understand your premise about the charity invite. The tourney by design brings in the champs from the various conferences. NCAA tourney history has shown there is nothing charitable about many of the invites. Plenty of teams like Marshall have played and beaten teams and advanced in the tourney.The tourney run by Ohio in 2011 took a team with a 27-7 record that was able to make it to the Sweet 16. I could list plenty of other charity invites for you if you would like. The NIT is a solid tourney and has plenty of solid teams playing in it.There are currently 351 schools that play D-1 basketball. Only 100 schools , less than 1/3 play post season in either of the 2 tournys you name.Yes, I will gladly play in either 2 and be happy with the chance . DD does not play in the "pay for play" tournament games by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
wow to answer your question now. Yes, if before we were getting blown out in the past and are now competitive I say that is progress

I say that is losing. An L is an L, and this crew has already amassed sufficient to, again, eliminate itself from legitimate post-season consideration. *

* Short of what is apparently the plan, which is "get hot in the CUSA tournament and who knows".

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
WRONG...The Herd lost 81-77 after being down by 20 at the half. Xavier is CERTAINLY a Top 10 team......

HerdZilla22
What specifically is “WRONG” about what was said? They may be a top 10 team with those 3 starters but I can’t think of many, more than likely any teams that could be in the top 10 without 3 of their starters. I guess you overdosed on the kool aid and facts are irrelevant. Great they made a come back against an average lineup.

Reactions: The Real SamC
What specifically is “WRONG” about what was said? They may be a top 10 team with those 3 starters but I can’t think of many, more than likely any teams that could be in the top 10 without 3 of their starters. I guess you overdosed on the kool aid and facts are irrelevant. Great they made a come back against an average lineup.

This guy has like 2 posts and both are negative towards the herd! I smell a troll! Go Herd!
Danny needs an extension!!! 10-4 best start in his tenure and he’s got us headed towards March madness!!! Watch out for those 304 boyz!

Hey you "old" papaw.
...get a grip. Dan has The HERD playing well. Get on board or GET OUT OF TOWN......

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney)......Bring on the HERD

I say that is losing. An L is an L, and this crew has already amassed sufficient to, again, eliminate itself from legitimate post-season consideration. *

* Short of what is apparently the plan, which is "get hot in the CUSA tournament and who knows".

SAD SACK SAM.
..why don't you take a hike and GET OUT OF TOWN....Huntington is Dan's Town Now! He holds the key to the city.

HerdZilla22 (SWEENEY)....Bring on the HERD

Reactions: kdbherdon
If someone has something negative to say about Marshall basketball right now, they’re mad that they are wrong and have entrenched themselves so far down into their point of view that they are unwilling to even try to pull themselves up to the correct point of view.

Hey you "old" papaw....get a grip. Dan has The HERD playing well. Get on board or GET OUT OF TOWN......

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney)......Bring on the HERD
Yeah! I can type in CAPS too. As far as I can see you’re completely irrational in most of your posts then resort to complete non sense when someone calls you on it. It’s all a diversion to hide the fact that you cannot truly dispute the responses. Keep going, you’ll just look worse.

Yeah! I can type in CAPS too. As far as I can see you’re completely irrational in most of your posts then resort to complete non sense when someone calls you on it. It’s all a diversion to hide the fact that you cannot truly dispute the responses. Keep going, you’ll just look worse.

He likes to talk about knowing DD. as though that is some amazing feat. Then from the fact that he knows him personally, comes up with overzealous nonsense about where the program is and how DD is a savior. I do think the Herd is actually playing well as has improved since day 1 which is great. I also think there isn’t a very high ceiling. The HIGHEST celieng is winning the conference tourney and winning one game in the Dance. More realistically is losing in the semis (as our usual good year) and then do it all again next year.

Pullman in Parkersburg (in Bold letters)

If someone has something negative to say about Marshall basketball right now, they’re mad that they are wrong and have entrenched themselves so far down into their point of view that they are unwilling to even try to pull themselves up to the correct point of view.

How about this?

Lost to MOREHEAD STATE from the one-bid OVC. Currently MSU's other wins are over NAIA Alice Lloyd, NCCAA (the extra C is for Christian, it is a lower division than even the NAIA) Kentucky Christian and one of a two game set with Central Arkansas from the one-bid Southland.

Lost to WILLIAM AND MARY from the one-bid CAA. Which has lost to such powerhouses as High Point and UCF.

These losses, combined with the expected ones to 10-5 Big 10 Illinois and 14-1 Big East Xavier, and the fact that our wins are over:

6-8, 4-8 in Div I UTM from the one-bid OVC
4-10, 2-10 in Div I, Southern from the one-bid and does not deserve that SWAC
6-8, 2-8 in Div I, NCCU from the one-bid and does not deserve that MEAC
Div II (and currently 7-5) Concord College
7-4, 6-4 in Div I Akron from the one-bid MAC
6-8, 4-8 in Div I UTC from the one-bid SoCon
8-5, 6-5 in Div I Toledo from the one-bid MAC
7-5, 6-5 in Div I (against such powerhouses are Prairie View, Coppin State, Mount Saint Mary's and Alabama A&M) from one-bid MAC
6-8, 4-8 in Div I EKU from the one-bid OVC
7-8, 4-8 in Div I USM
9-6, 7-6 in Div I LA Tech

In sum, four losses, including one awful one, and wins over teams from the two HBCU leagues, which are kept in Div I for PC purposes and belong in Div II, an actual Div II team, two teams from the OVC which is about the lowest of the legitimate Div I leagues, a SoCon, and some MACers that will finish mid pack, combined with wins over two field fillers in our one-bid league. No wins over any team with a legitimate winning record.

This means that, unless "we get hot in the CUSA tournament and who knows", this team is ALREADY and has for several weeks been ELIMINATED from any consideration for the NCAA for the 30-whateverth consecutive season and is about 2 more losses (and there are a plenty coming) from elimination from the NIT field.

We have gotten fat on a schedule that is lighter than air. That will not translate into much against the upper part of the CUSA, which has several solid teams including Western, Middle, and UAB. People are all worked up about not much really.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

That will not translate into much against the upper part of the CUSA, which has several solid teams including Western, Middle, and UAB. People are all worked up about not much really.

La Tech is no worse than the 6th best team in the conference and is probably better than UAB. The Blazers lost to a 3-10 Richmond team.

The vaunted WKU Hilltoppers lost to Ohio, who we beat.

William and Mary beat ODU.

What's all that mean? Not much, to be honest, except that outside of MTSU the conference is wide open.

We will know a lot about Marshall by the end of this month. Two games against WKU, @ODU and home tilts against UAB and MTSU will speak volumes.

Danny was coached by Ellis Johnson...that is all you need to know! I think either Mike or Russell Lee told me that on recruiting visits Ellis would drive around town with his leg up on the front seat, and loved to blow his car horn long and loud when he went under the railroad overpasses. I still think one of the most memorable moments in Fieldhouse and Herd bb history was Ellis, the dog, and the glasses. Being at a competitive school at the time, to me Danny was a tough, smart, skilled qb-coach on the floor.

Sam..................why so serious? Why spend all of your time tilting at windmills? As you say, things are where they are. Wouldn't it be a shame if we already knew the outcome of all Marshall sporting events before they were played? I believe most on here prefer watching, rooting, winning & losing with the Herd in real time. Making pronouncements about how the season will turn out is pointless. Go HERD !!! Beat WKU.

Good gracious - try to comprehend what is being typed. Of course it has nothing to do with the present. It was about his hiring of Steve Logan and some other coaches while he was there. Now, go take a Midol and simmer down. And in actuality, they are classified as a national university, where we are a regional university.
they have been back up and crashed and burned again since Hamrick left. comprehend that. they do just fine destroying their programs with out him. that's the point.

Sam..................why so serious? Why spend all of your time tilting at windmills? As you say, things are where they are. Wouldn't it be a shame if we already knew the outcome of all Marshall sporting events before they were played? I believe most on here prefer watching, rooting, winning & losing with the Herd in real time. Making pronouncements about how the season will turn out is pointless. Go HERD !!! Beat WKU.

A reference to Don Quixote?

post-19715-Brent-Rambo-gif-thumbs-up-imgu-L3yP.gif

Wouldn't it be a shame if we already knew the outcome of all Marshall sporting events before they were played? I believe most on here prefer watching, rooting, winning & losing with the Herd in real time.

Do I know how any particular basketball game will turn out? No.

Do I know exactly how this basketball season will turn out? Certainly, just like the previous 30-whatever ones. And more than that I know how next season and the next and the next will. Until we get serious about basketball, every season is more or less the same. Putter around a lighter than air pre-conference schedule, lose a "step up" game or two to a upper-middle team from a multi-bid conference, putter around this geographically illogical football league winning some (mostly against schools from states where basketball is something you do between football and spring football) and losing some, put all the eggs in the genius plan of "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows", and losing. It is a certainty.

All I am saying is one thing that I have always been proud of in Marshall fans is, while we are fans and want to see the team win every game and we root like crazy, we have always been deeply rooted in reality. Anybody who sees a post-season for this team, or any team put forward for years to come, is delusional. Delusional to the WVU fandom level.

Nope. We have all seen this movie before. The ending is always the same.

So why even follow the program? Why read the message boards? Why comment on the message boards? Why? Optimism makes sports fun...you should try it sometime. It appears to me that the program is in better shape and has a higher ceiling than it has in 30 years. I just don't understand...nor do I want to. Did your "pick" of a coach not get the job and now your feelings are permanently hurt? Do you have a personal reason not to like DD? Do you not like having fun at MBB games...because his teams are fun? Are you mad because he has seen more success than you predicted and instead of admitting it, you are doubling down? Do you not like WV boys to have success? Will you admit that you were wrong when we make the tourney?

So why even follow the program? Why read the message boards? Why comment on the message boards? Why? Optimism makes sports fun...you should try it sometime.

I follow the program because Marshall always has been and always will be my school. Always. Win or lose, every year, every sport. I want us to win.

There is a difference, IMHO, between optimism and delusion. To illustrate, lets get away from Marshall. If a UK football fan says "I think we can get to a bowl in 18" he is optimistic and a good fan. If he says "we are going 13-0, beating both Bama and UGa and winning the national championship, he is delusional and, well crazy. Different.

I have 100% optimism, about our football program. I have reason and common sense about basketball, and that limits optimism to having a nice record, it is delusion to expect more.

He likes to talk about knowing DD. as though that is some amazing feat. Then from the fact that he knows him personally, comes up with overzealous nonsense about where the program is and how DD is a savior. I do think the Herd is actually playing well as has improved since day 1 which is great. I also think there isn’t a very high ceiling. The HIGHEST celieng is winning the conference tourney and winning one game in the Dance. More realistically is losing in the semis (as our usual good year) and then do it all again next year.

Pullman in Parkersburg (in Bold letters)

PullWoman in P'Burg....both Dan & I are 70 years old.....I have known him since junior High.....we both graduated from Marshall in 1969.....I stay in his house when I come to Huntington......I married his first cousin......therefore, I think this qualifies me as knowing him. Knowing Dan is not an amazing feat.....neither of us believe we are better than anyone else....and I have never placed Dan on a pedestal---nor would he desire to want to be. He is a dang good basketball coach, father, husband, a good person....and his players respect him & his knowledge. He earned this respect from High School...to College...to Pro players. Nothing more---Nothing less.

I just don't get you negative West Virginians. Someone (DD) is achieving something good for Marshall and all some can do is try to bring them down. IT IS PLAIN JEALOUSY.....Get off Dan's ass or get off the Board.

HerdZilla (Sweeney) 22 in CHARLOTTE

How about this?

Lost to MOREHEAD STATE from the one-bid OVC. Currently MSU's other wins are over NAIA Alice Lloyd, NCCAA (the extra C is for Christian, it is a lower division than even the NAIA) Kentucky Christian and one of a two game set with Central Arkansas from the one-bid Southland.

Lost to WILLIAM AND MARY from the one-bid CAA. Which has lost to such powerhouses as High Point and UCF.

These losses, combined with the expected ones to 10-5 Big 10 Illinois and 14-1 Big East Xavier, and the fact that our wins are over:

6-8, 4-8 in Div I UTM from the one-bid OVC
4-10, 2-10 in Div I, Southern from the one-bid and does not deserve that SWAC
6-8, 2-8 in Div I, NCCU from the one-bid and does not deserve that MEAC
Div II (and currently 7-5) Concord College
7-4, 6-4 in Div I Akron from the one-bid MAC
6-8, 4-8 in Div I UTC from the one-bid SoCon
8-5, 6-5 in Div I Toledo from the one-bid MAC
7-5, 6-5 in Div I (against such powerhouses are Prairie View, Coppin State, Mount Saint Mary's and Alabama A&M) from one-bid MAC
6-8, 4-8 in Div I EKU from the one-bid OVC
7-8, 4-8 in Div I USM
9-6, 7-6 in Div I LA Tech

In sum, four losses, including one awful one, and wins over teams from the two HBCU leagues, which are kept in Div I for PC purposes and belong in Div II, an actual Div II team, two teams from the OVC which is about the lowest of the legitimate Div I leagues, a SoCon, and some MACers that will finish mid pack, combined with wins over two field fillers in our one-bid league. No wins over any team with a legitimate winning record.

This means that, unless "we get hot in the CUSA tournament and who knows", this team is ALREADY and has for several weeks been ELIMINATED from any consideration for the NCAA for the 30-whateverth consecutive season and is about 2 more losses (and there are a plenty coming) from elimination from the NIT field.

We have gotten fat on a schedule that is lighter than air. That will not translate into much against the upper part of the CUSA, which has several solid teams including Western, Middle, and UAB. People are all worked up about not much really.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

How about...you’re annoying.

Marshall is in the upper part of CUSA as well you know.

PullWoman in P'Burg....both Dan & I are 70 years old.....I have known him since junior High.....we both graduated from Marshall in 1969.....I stay in his house when I come to Huntington......I married his first cousin......therefore, I think this qualifies me as knowing him. Knowing Dan is not an amazing feat.....neither of us believe we are better than anyone else....and I have never placed Dan on a pedestal---nor would he desire to want to be. He is a dang good basketball coach, father, husband, a good person....and his players respect him & his knowledge. He earned this respect from High School...to College...to Pro players. Nothing more---Nothing less.

I just don't get you negative West Virginians. Someone (DD) is achieving something good for Marshall and all some can do is try to bring them down. IT IS PLAIN JEALOUSY.....Get off Dan's ass or get off the Board.

HerdZilla (Sweeney) 22 in CHARLOTTE

Yes I’m jealous of DD... maybe his wardrobe I’m jealous of, but certainly not his success. We play in a conference that will always be a ONE BID league. And we’ve never won it. Never not once ever. Congrats on staying at his house and marrying your cousin though.

Herd in Parkersburg.. Seacrest out

Why do you guys keep saying “ONE BID LEAGUE” like it is some small and putrid club to be in? 22/32 conferences last year were ONE BID LEAGUES.

Yes, CUSA is currently a ONE BID LEAGUE, the same as the majority of college basketball is. But how many ONE BID LEAGUES have advanced each of the last three seasons?

I think earlier you predicted this years team would be 15-15. Still hope for that?

Hope? NO. Totally not. Want us to win every game.

Understand that that is what will happen? Certainly.

We have seen this movie before. It ends in early March. Same as the last 30 years.

Why do you guys keep saying “ONE BID LEAGUE” like it is some small and putrid club to be in? 22/32 conferences last year were ONE BID LEAGUES.

Yes, CUSA is currently a ONE BID LEAGUE, the same as the majority of college basketball is. But how many ONE BID LEAGUES have advanced each of the last three seasons?

Because we can’t even win a one bid league one time. Let alone ever be decent enough for an at large bid. The expectations aren’t to be a Memphis, but by God can we not at least be an Ohio U?

We have seen this movie before. It ends in early March. Same as the last 30 years.

.........pssst......hey.........Sam........there are, uhh....like 330 teams in Div I....save 16, ALL of their seasons end before the middle of March!
I get that you’re the Ivan Drago of negativity on this board (Rocky IV ref Sam) , but (as Moss would say) Golly!! You can’t claim to bleed green & constantly cast aspersions on
one of the 2 big Two!!!
Go Herd - Beat the ‘Tops!!

Pullman - Of course, you must know that in all the years since it only had 32 teams, we have had ..............exactly...........1 at large bid to the dance?? Why would your expectations be that we consistently thread the needle to warrant an at large bid?

Pullman - Of course, you must know that in all the years since it only had 32 teams, we have had ..............exactly...........1 at large bid to the dance?? Why would your expectations be that we consistently thread the needle to warrant an at large bid?

I think expecting to make the dance once a decade is not unheard of. Instead of once a century

The last time I researched the topic, there have been 321 different teams qualify for the NCAA Tourney since the Herd last appeared in 1987. Of course, that 1987 appearance was expunged by the NCAA as part of the penalties handed down for recruiting violations.

Because we can’t even win a one bid league one time. Let alone ever be decent enough for an at large bid. The expectations aren’t to be a Memphis, but by God can we not at least be an Ohio U?

Exactly. 30 years and we have never made the effort to put a team with a chance on the floor. And understand what CUSA is. It exists for one thing. Football. We would not ever even play any of these schools, except maybe WKU once in a while, if not for football. And a lot of schools in this league make only a nominal effort at basketball. Have you seen the GYMS (not arenas, G Y M S) some of these schools play in? Often the players, coaches, cheerleaders and security outnumber actual fans at these games. Football schools in football states. And still we do not make the effort to be serious about this sport. 30 years of frustration.

We get various pitches. Currently we are recycling the Greg White theme. Work harder and recruit local. In a few years maybe they try the "hot young coach" theme or perhaps the "he learned a lot at X" retread coach theme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT