ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Basketball

I don't believe it was coaching. Peneva, by far our most important player, when out with an injury 4 minutes into the game and that let them have free reign in the paint with their size. After the initial run in the game by WKU, we adjusted with Peneva out, and they only outscored us 78-76 the rest of the way. You could also attribute some of the problems to a stomach flu bug that has hit most of the players on the team in the last two weeks as well as a contributing factor. Its just one loss, so the team needs to put this one behind them and get ready for this week's games on the road.

Then having only one player able to defend the paint is pretty crappy. I know coach values other things higher, but damn.

Honestly I don't follow our BB program closely, if it wasn't for this board I wouldn't be able to name a player. Out where I live it might as well not even exist.

There aren't that many hater on Old Fairfield, but this board, HerdNation, is more like the old "Thunder in the Mountains" board than a site MU fans can visit to talk MU sports for free. This board is like a war zone 24-7.

It’s because of the handful of snowflakes that think any time there is criticism is automarically makes you a troll. And then start whining instead of having reasonable conversations. I admit I poke fun as well but I don’t get butthurt about anyone being on here just because of their opinion.

Reactions: sistersville
It’s because of the handful of snowflakes that think any time there is criticism is automarically makes you a troll. And then start whining instead of having reasonable conversations. I admit I poke fun as well but I don’t get butthurt about anyone being on here just because of their opinion.
..............how nice that you can delude yourself into assuming the mantle of the friendly, reasonable poster who loves the Herd and has the secret code book used by the Unfiltered Truth. We all really appreciate how generous you are with your time and the patience you show with us ignerent folk, who live in fantasyland and don’t know better.......
How’s that butthurt feeling? Good to know these little comments don’t get under that thin skin of your’n.....

..............how nice that you can delude yourself into assuming the mantle of the friendly, reasonable poster who loves the Herd and has the secret code book used by the Unfiltered Truth. We all really appreciate how generous you are with your time and the patience you show with us ignerent folk, who live in fantasyland and don’t know better.......
How’s that butthurt feeling? Good to know these little comments don’t get under that thin skin of your’n.....

Well at least you know they don’t

Some of them make me laugh- like Dreh faggy who is 100 years old and tries to call me out for something HE actually is. But beyond that i just figure it’s all in good fun anyway

When Penava went down, we were down what, 10 points or so 5 minutes into the game. By halftime we were down something like 61-35, 26 points, IIRC.

We certainly did NOT play them evenly after Penava went out. Played them evenly in the second half, but game essentially over at the Half.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
When Penava went down, we were down what, 10 points or so 5 minutes into the game. By halftime we were down something like 61-35, 26 points, IIRC.

We certainly did NOT play them evenly after Penava went out. Played them evenly in the second half, but game essentially over at the Half.

And that is sad. Sad because a coach can't adjust so a team leader who goes down, doesn't have someone wanting to step up...
Jansen (sp?) played a solid game and is not undersized, while he does need to gain some weight, he at least could contest some shots, and can hit a 3 pointer.
It was terrible game prep and worse adjustments.
If your team hinges on 1 player and that player goes down and you can't, at least, be competitive? You are not a good team.

Weird how people would crucify Doc when the star player is injured during a game and we get blown out...
But when the same thing happens to the basketball team...people tend to look for literally anything to justify it and not attribute it to bad coaching.
The fact it took an entire half to adjust to something, and adjust is a verlynloosely used term because if you were there, you'd see, we didn't adjust.
We have some taller guys out there and they still scored on us at will. We didn't finish shots, not many rebounds, turnovers, and frustrating penalties hurt us.
But in football, thats the coach and players.

In basketball...its the flu.

EXACTLY. There is a HUGE double standard between our two coaches.

A lot of this can be summed up in three letters. W V U . Some people just will never forget that that is where Doc played and spent a significant amount of his assistant coaching career Forgetting that, well he was learning college coaching (albeit from Don Nehlen) before moving up to the true major level at NC State and then Florida.

Meanwhile Dan was doing what a lot of smart young WVians of his generation were doing. Which was getting a degree in a portable profession, in his case teaching, and using it to GTFO of the already by then dying rotting hellhole that was, and now is so much more so, the WV coalfields. Smart. And he spent a complete lifetime earning a good living and accomplishing a lot in a pleasant part of the country with a normal economy. Smart. And now, having spent a lifetime coaching HS and then a few years with is brother in the WWE, umm, I mean NBA, came here with no college experience at all. Bringing the HS idea of "work harder" and the recruiting system from the WVIAC, which is hang around the state tournament and the all-stars.

And we have lived though this whole movie before. Greg White. Who was hired with no meaningful experience (losing record at NAIA Pikeville, losing record at NAIA Harvey High, sat at end of bench for one year at probation bound UCLA) for this VERY SAME "local hero" idea. It is not real.

If we want to be serious about basketball, we need to get serious about it. Or just admit that it is just something we do because the NCAA and CUSA require us to have a basketball team in order to play football and quit pretending that we are trying to win.

EXACTLY. There is a HUGE double standard between our two coaches.

A lot of this can be summed up in three letters. W V U . Some people just will never forget that that is where Doc played and spent a significant amount of his assistant coaching career Forgetting that, well he was learning college coaching (albeit from Don Nehlen) before moving up to the true major level at NC State and then Florida.

Meanwhile Dan was doing what a lot of smart young WVians of his generation were doing. Which was getting a degree in a portable profession, in his case teaching, and using it to GTFO of the already by then dying rotting hellhole that was, and now is so much more so, the WV coalfields. Smart. And he spent a complete lifetime earning a good living and accomplishing a lot in a pleasant part of the country with a normal economy. Smart. And now, having spent a lifetime coaching HS and then a few years with is brother in the WWE, umm, I mean NBA, came here with no college experience at all. Bringing the HS idea of "work harder" and the recruiting system from the WVIAC, which is hang around the state tournament and the all-stars.

And we have lived though this whole movie before. Greg White. Who was hired with no meaningful experience (losing record at NAIA Pikeville, losing record at NAIA Harvey High, sat at end of bench for one year at probation bound UCLA) for this VERY SAME "local hero" idea. It is not real.

If we want to be serious about basketball, we need to get serious about it. Or just admit that it is just something we do because the NCAA and CUSA require us to have a basketball team in order to play football and quit pretending that we are trying to win.

Wasn't the football team hit with a stomach bug of sorts during their bowl game?

Instead of praise, they get fired.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Well at least you know they don’t

Some of them make me laugh- like Dreh faggy who is 100 years old and tries to call me out for something HE actually is. But beyond that i just figure it’s all in good fun anyway
Must every post you make be about me? You're calling me a 100 year old fag? You should be banned. @Chris McLaughlin how can these personal attacks be tolerated? Surely, WVU fans don't get their way around here any longer, do they?

Must every post you make be about me? You're calling me a 100 year old fag? You should be banned. @Chris McLaughlin how can these personal attacks be tolerated? Surely, WVU fans don't get their way around here any longer, do they?

It’s funny you literally tried to insult me by saying the exact same thing I called you out for. You had TEN straight posts that were directed at me, with zero other interest in this site. You refuse to justify your loyalty to another team while at the same time trying to claim the same about me. And you think I’m the one who doesn’t belong here? You wonder why I laugh at your senility

Then having only one player able to defend the paint is pretty crappy. I know coach values other things higher, but damn.

Honestly I don't follow our BB program closely, if it wasn't for this board I wouldn't be able to name a player. Out where I live it might as well not even exist.
Agree that it’s crappy. It’s shit and I blame Dan for having Mijovic still on the roster. But it’s not about him valuing other things in this situation.

After last season, we went after 3 graduate transfer big men. Two were long shots (one tore is up on Saturday—Justin Johnson, the other was the guy who went to Kansas, then left. Not sure where he is now) but would have been an automatic day 1 starter if we got one of them. I thought we were going to get the third guy, who was a 6’11 center from NIU, but he ended up going to DePaul because he thought he would have a better chance to start there than here over Terrance Thompson. The kick in the nuts is that a month later, Terrance Thompson goes to Wake Forest, leaving us empty handed with no viable options that late in the game—I believe this was early August. So instead of us having Penava, Thompson, and a 6’11 graduate transfer as our three big man rotation, we’ve got Penava, Williams (freshman), and George (freshman who is a wing player—with a broken foot)...and Mijovic.

I guess there was also the long shot of getting Bennett eligible too. So, we had the potential to add a couple legit big men, ended up getting none, and losing one.

One things for sure. Both major sports are loaded with returning experience next year and an influx of new talent, especially B'ball. If neither can get to the the CUSA title game, we have huge issues and need to look hard at some new blood for both sports.

Of course some will have excuses and our AD will blame the fans. The beat goes on.

One things for sure. Both major sports are loaded with returning experience next year and an influx of new talent, especially B'ball. If neither can get to the the CUSA title game, we have huge issues and need to look hard at some new blood for both sports.

Of course some will have excuses and our AD will blame the fans. The beat goes on.

If we don’t win CUSA in Bball next year then we have already experience the ceiling of DD

It’s funny you literally tried to insult me by saying the exact same thing I called you out for. You had TEN straight posts that were directed at me, with zero other interest in this site. You refuse to justify your loyalty to another team while at the same time trying to claim the same about me. And you think I’m the one who doesn’t belong here? You wonder why I laugh at your senility
What do you want to know Pullman? You keep referring to an ICON. I assume you mean my Michigan logo? Yes, I'm a Michigan fan, but also a Herd fan. Born & raised in Fayette County. Grew up a fan of the Herd and Michigan. Conveniently lived in Michigan for the last few decades. Stud in both states, schooled in both states. Currently 100 years old and senile, but still make it to work each day, still participate in sports, watch sports, follow my teams, but at the same time, realize there's a huge gap between a team like Michigan and a team like Marshall. It doesn't mean I cannot continue to support both programs, and I'm certainly not of the delusion that Marshall will ever be a major player on the national level, but that doesn't mean that once in a while they aren't capable of performing at a high level, including basketball. Now, tell us all about yourself.

What do you want to know Pullman? You keep referring to an ICON. I assume you mean my Michigan logo? Yes, I'm a Michigan fan, but also a Herd fan. Born & raised in Fayette County. Grew up a fan of the Herd and Michigan. Conveniently lived in Michigan for the last few decades. Stud in both states, schooled in both states. Currently 100 years old and senile, but still make it to work each day, still participate in sports, watch sports, follow my teams, but at the same time, realize there's a huge gap between a team like Michigan and a team like Marshall. It doesn't mean I cannot continue to support both programs, and I'm certainly not of the delusion that Marshall will ever be a major player on the national level, but that doesn't mean that once in a while they aren't capable of performing at a high level, including basketball. Now, tell us all about yourself.

I already explained my loyalties MULTIPLE times. I apologize that I didn't make it in bold print or big letter to make it easier for you. I am not wasting my time giving you the same information over and over. And my passion for both teams are for different reasons, and yet both realistic expectations. In this case I would like to see the Herd actually take a step forward in basketball, instead of the same endless cycle.

Weird how people would crucify Doc when the star player is injured during a game and we get blown out...
But when the same thing happens to the basketball team...people tend to look for literally anything to justify it and not attribute it to bad coaching.
The fact it took an entire half to adjust to something, and adjust is a verlynloosely used term because if you were there, you'd see, we didn't adjust.
We have some taller guys out there and they still scored on us at will. We didn't finish shots, not many rebounds, turnovers, and frustrating penalties hurt us.
But in football, thats the coach and players.

In basketball...its the flu.

Happy New year All4TheHERD.
.....I see another year did not help your kindness nor your knowledge.....But keep working on it.....There is Hope.....

HerdZilla22 in charlotte

Dang...does this (grew up in Fayette County) mean you could be a member of MUSTANG NATION.....like I......Beat Oak Hill.....

HerdZillaMUSTANG22) in Charlotte

Agree that it’s crappy. It’s shit and I blame Dan for having Mijovic still on the roster. But it’s not about him valuing other things in this situation.

After last season, we went after 3 graduate transfer big men. Two were long shots (one tore is up on Saturday—Justin Johnson, the other was the guy who went to Kansas, then left. Not sure where he is now) but would have been an automatic day 1 starter if we got one of them. I thought we were going to get the third guy, who was a 6’11 center from NIU, but he ended up going to DePaul because he thought he would have a better chance to start there than here over Terrance Thompson. The kick in the nuts is that a month later, Terrance Thompson goes to Wake Forest, leaving us empty handed with no viable options that late in the game—I believe this was early August. So instead of us having Penava, Thompson, and a 6’11 graduate transfer as our three big man rotation, we’ve got Penava, Williams (freshman), and George (freshman who is a wing player—with a broken foot)...and Mijovic.

I guess there was also the long shot of getting Bennett eligible too. So, we had the potential to add a couple legit big men, ended up getting none, and losing one.

Thanks SEAN for your enlightening post.
It is crappy that things did not turn out for Dan & his Staff with the 3 guys you mention. They could have helped greatly. But I'm encouraged with this squad...and I know everyone hates..."wait until next year"...but I predict very good things for Marshall in 2018---2019. BTW, Terrance Thompson is getting a lot of minutes with the Deacons....but nothing outstanding to speak of regarding points & boards. He could have helped us a lot....

HerdZilla22

Dang...does this (grew up in Fayette County) mean you could be a member of MUSTANG NATION.....like I......Beat Oak Hill.....

HerdZillaMUSTANG22) in Charlotte
No. I'm a Pirate. Told you last month that I used to hang out a bunch with Punk and Lonnie over at the County Line, as well as Sam's Place. As for Mt. Hope, their old football stadium and auditorium where they played hoops were on the top of my list for the places I disliked playing the most. I remember the first time I ever played basketball over there, coming literally out of the gym floor, and seeing Big Earl as the opposition. I had to play against him from 7th grade all the way through senior year of high school. Not only Big Earl, but they also had a couple other guys 6' 4". We hung with them though....for about 30 seconds.

No. I'm a Pirate. Told you last month that I used to hang out a bunch with Punk and Lonnie over at the County Line, as well as Sam's Place. As for Mt. Hope, their old football stadium and auditorium where they played hoops were on the top of my list for the places I disliked playing the most. I remember the first time I ever played basketball over there, coming literally out of the gym floor, and seeing Big Earl as the opposition. I had to play against him from 7th grade all the way through senior year of high school. Not only Big Earl, but they also had a couple other guys 6' 4". We hung with them though....for about 30 seconds.

Sorry I forgot you said you were a Pirate......
I still have a lot of respect for Fayetteville and I enjoyed playing there. My dream is Fayette Country will build a new school near the Big Bridge on Hwy 19 and consolidate the Pirates & Oak Hill. It always seemed the Fayette Country Auditorium was LONGER than most basketball courts. We were out of breath after the first quarter running the floor. Charlie Wendell (Pirate) & I became good friends at Marshall.

Punk & Lonnie were Bigger than Life when I was growing up. Man, they had some epic battles. I still hang out with Lonnie (Sam to me) when I return to Mt. Hope's annual Jubilee in September. BTW, Lonnie's younger sister (Susie) died of cancer recently.

Getting your ass kicked in Memorial Football Stadium can give you nightmares...we always seemed to throttle the Pirates when you come to Mt. Hope.. Come on man...it had to be exciting to flip open the trap door to enter our Gym with the Mustang Band playing---Hail to the Varsity. A little history for you. Our Gym was once a YMCA and the pool was located where both dressing rooms were built. All they did was construct a basketball floor over the top of the pool. Last time I saw Big Earl Jones...he appeared to weight about 700 pounds.

How did you end in Michigan? Big Blue is my favorite B10 football squad....I guess because they are Gold & Blue. SCREW ohio state. Don't let some folks on Herd Nation drive you away.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Thanks SEAN for your enlightening post. It is crappy that things did not turn out for Dan & his Staff with the 3 guys you mention. They could have helped greatly. But I'm encouraged with this squad...and I know everyone hates..."wait until next year"...but I predict very good things for Marshall in 2018---2019. BTW, Terrance Thompson is getting a lot of minutes with the Deacons....but nothing outstanding to speak of regarding points & boards. He could have helped us a lot....

HerdZilla22

Funny how those guys with amazing upside (Whiteside) helped us accomplish the goal we’ve all been waiting on for decades...

Getting your ass kicked in Memorial Football Stadium can give you nightmares...we always seemed to throttle the Pirates when you come to Mt. Hope.. Come on man...it had to be exciting to flip open the trap door to enter our Gym with the Mustang Band playing---Hail to the Varsity.
The trap door was odd, to say the least, but I always figured it was specifically for the actors to come on/off stage. The thing I always hated the most (besides facing Big Earl) was that you could easily go off the stage/court, as the out of bounds stripe wasn't that far from the edge of the stage. Here's a picture I found:

1565505.jpg

Reactions: 31Herd55

And he still gives me grief about Jeff Swisher and Joel Wilson after the beatdown Sistersville put on Fayetteville in the 84 state title game.

Only one problem, as I see it, TwolfHerdfan. Can't ever predict or sometimes expect to have one or more of those late spring/summer "defections" from the team like Thompson's departure this past summer. Especially in basketball, with only 13 scholarship players. If Danny has all scholarships committed or accounted for and then gets blindsided by a late defection, its almost impossible to sufficiently replace that player. As indicated in the post about our inability to get a graduate "big" last year and then Thompson ups and leaves. Of course if there are 1 or 2 underclassmen who decide to leave the program after this season, and Danny knows of their intentions and agrees to release them, then he can hopefully adjust for their departures in his recruiting.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Happy New year All4TheHERD......I see another year did not help your kindness nor your knowledge.....But keep working on it.....There is Hope.....

HerdZilla22 in charlotte

Calling me wrong with no rebuttal? Good lord, can't you just take yourself out to pasture already?

Only one problem, as I see it, TwolfHerdfan. Can't ever predict or sometimes expect to have one or more of those late spring/summer "defections" from the team like Thompson's departure this past summer. Especially in basketball, with only 13 scholarship players. If Danny has all scholarships committed or accounted for and then gets blindsided by a late defection, its almost impossible to sufficiently replace that player. As indicated in the post about our inability to get a graduate "big" last year and then Thompson ups and leaves. Of course if there are 1 or 2 underclassmen who decide to leave the program after this season, and Danny knows of their intentions and agrees to release them, then he can hopefully adjust for their departures in his recruiting.

True. Just hoping all players on both squads stay for next season. I know that's asking a lot. Lol!

Stay with me here... we were at -10 after 5 minutes. So after 10 minutes (if trends held true) we would be -20 and after 15 minutes -25 and at the half -30.

So, if we actually had continued to play the same we did for the first 5 minutes with Peneva, we actually would have been down more at the half.

if we could rebound and play defense, as a unit (team)... the loss of Peneva wouldn’t be that bad

The trap door was odd, to say the least, but I always figured it was specifically for the actors to come on/off stage. The thing I always hated the most (besides facing Big Earl) was that you could easily go off the stage/court, as the out of bounds stripe wasn't that far from the edge of the stage. Here's a picture I found:

1565505.jpg

Awwwah......those were the good old days.
......Almost like playing in Madison Square Garden.....The MUSTANGS were difficult to defeat on that STAGE of HORRORS....Hail to the Varsity....echoes off the walls....I saw a few bloody heads from crashing into the unprotected side walls....where was OSHA?

Hey DREH....opponents did not need to fear going off stage and into the front rows....the MUSTANG Mafia was there to grab you...Wink Wink .....

ZillaStang22.......

Last edited:
Sam - tell you what. Let's make a little wager, you & me. $100 contribution to the Tip-off club. I say MU is in the post-season this year, either NCAA or NIT. Other pay to play tournaments don't count. Loser posts a picture of the receipt where the money has been donated. C'mon Sam! It's a sucker bet. If you are right then this is an easy call. Let me know............Go HERD!!
So the plan is "get hot in the conference tournament" and "who knows" we might win 3 games in a row. That is about like having a retirement plan based on winning the lottery. Yes, somebody wins it every week or so. But saving 4% of your income every week is a hell of a lot better plan.

Again, I hope I am wrong, and will willingly pay the $100, but I'm not. I would much rather go with recruiting actual Div I talent and earning our way in, over the WVIAC all-stars and "who knows".
You were wrong. Time to pay up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT