ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Basketball

How about...you’re annoying.

Marshall is in the upper part of CUSA as well you know.
We are #4 in the conference per the RPI right now and expected to finish in that area. We then add two big men to the rotation and only lose Mijovic so the future is very bright and conference titles aren't out of the question.

Sam - I get the feeling you are not going to budge. I am 58 years young, but I have listened to "older" fans bitch & moan my entire life about the HERD. You are entitled to your opinions, but that's all they are. The problem with your group of fans is that Marshall could make the Dance 5 years in a row, and what would we hear from you old farts? Nothing. Because that's your M.O. when things are going well (in other words, not according to your gospel). BUT, if the HERD would then tank for a season, all Holy Hell would break loose! I guess if this is the kind of fan you desire to be, go for it. Just don't expect the rest of us to sing Kum-ba-yah with you until our brief time on this rock is up. Peace out, brother!! Go HERD

p.s. it is impossible to be 100% behind the football program, which you admit has underachieved, and 0% behind the b-ball program. The numbers don't jive.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Sam - I get the feeling you are not going to budge. I am 58 years young, but I have listened to "older" fans bitch & moan my entire life about the HERD. You are entitled to your opinions, but that's all they are. The problem with your group of fans is that Marshall could make the Dance 5 years in a row, and what would we hear from you old farts? Nothing. Because that's your M.O. when things are going well (in other words, not according to your gospel). BUT, if the HERD would then tank for a season, all Holy Hell would break loose! I guess if this is the kind of fan you desire to be, go for it. Just don't expect the rest of us to sing Kum-ba-yah with you until our brief time on this rock is up. Peace out, brother!! Go HERD

p.s. it is impossible to be 100% behind the football program, which you admit has underachieved, and 0% behind the b-ball program. The numbers don't jive.

That would be a nice theory if the Herd EVER made the dance. Let alone 5 years in a row.... talk about laughable delusions of grandeur.

Marshall basketball ranks No. 112 in the current Realtime RPI. Much better than being ranked in the 200s for much of the past 10 years.

Fact is, after about the top 96 teams that get into the NCAA and the NIT tourneys, the rest of the 320 or so teams in D1 are pretty much "irrelevant". So 112 versus 212 or even 300 means very little, other than fodder for discussion on fan boards!

Reactions: The Real SamC
Fact is, after about the top 96 teams that get into the NCAA and the NIT tourneys, the rest of the 320 or so teams in D1 are pretty much "irrelevant". So 112 versus 212 or even 300 means very little, other than fodder for discussion on fan boards!
No argument from me on that point.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

We are about the same age, actually I'm a few years younger than you. Anyway, I would be ecstatic if the Herd made the "dance" O N C E . The last time we did was 1987, not within the living memory of MOST people currently alive.

Since then we have had two unrelated NIT first round exits (1988 and 2012) and a couple of these pay to play nothings. Since then we have had eight head coaches, ranging from two from the "hot young coach" meme, who both took the first bus out of town, to retread losers, to complete incompetents, and now are on the second of our "local hero" memes. Since then Division I has added almost 100 more teams and, yet half the Division has made the tournament at least once, including every school we can even argueabaly call a "rival", Morehead State, Ohio, Western Kentucky, even little Miami. Since then WVU, which we forced to play us because we were the superior program for at least 20 prior to the first game, has advanced from a nothing one-bid league to the cusp of national status, so much so that playing us was a waste on their part and a pointless futility on ours. Of the teams that have ever made the tournament we now have the 12th longest streak for not making it again. Since then the Henderson Center has slowly been allowed to decline into a dirty shell of what it should be. Heck, UC is talking about going Div I and I would say they would join the list of dancers before us if they do. All of this in a succession of easy to win leagues organized around football, including our current league which has at least six schools that make no effort at the sport.

Make the dance FIVE TIMES? I would be happy to make the dance ONCE.

As to football. We have the right coach, the right players and the facilities and commitment from the AD and others to be a solid mid-major program. I have optimism about next year and about many years to come. As to basketball, there is no non-delusional reason to expect anything more than what we have seen over and over. This year, next year, or whenever.

That would be a nice theory if the Herd EVER made the dance. Let alone 5 years in a row.... talk about laughable delusions of grandeur.

What are you even talking about?

W-S in no way said anything about the Herd making the dance 5 years in a row. He was using the statement as a hypothetical to illustrate that some people would still not be happy. You inferring the whole “delusions of grandeur” thing is kind of a cheap shot considering it was pretty clear what his point actually was.

And his point is valid. There are people here and on OF that literally disappear when the basketball team goes on a win streak. But when they lose they are out in full force. It’s just obvious to everyone but them. What W-S is referring to, and I agree with whole-heartedly, is that some people are only energized by negativity. Everyone knows where we stand in the grand scheme of basketball. No one is saying that we will be the next Duke or UK. They are simply saying that compared to the long drought we’ve had in basketball and the misery that was coach Herrion’s style, we’re heading in the right direction with a team that’s fun to watch.

And for whatever reason some of you are scared to death that someone might be actually enjoying our team. So under the guise of “I’m just keeping it real,” or, “I’m not wearing green-colored glasses,” you come on hear to p*** in everyone’s Wheaties as though you somehow are more grounded than the rest of the world. No...you’re not. That kind of thinking is what makes a person twist a perfectly harmless and valid statement in order to say they suffer from “delusions of grandeur.” Unlike you of course.

W-S in no way said anything about the Herd making the dance 5 years in a row. He was using the statement as a hypothetical to illustrate that some people would still not be happy. You inferring the whole “delusions of grandeur” thing is kind of a cheap shot considering it was pretty clear what his point actually was.

And his point is valid. There are people here and on OF that literally disappear when the basketball team goes on a win streak. But when they lose they are out in full force. It’s just obvious to everyone but them. What W-S is referring to, and I agree with whole-heartedly, is that some people are only energized by negativity. Everyone knows where we stand in the grand scheme of basketball. No one is saying that we will be the next Duke or UK. They are simply saying that compared to the long drought we’ve had in basketball and the misery that was coach Herrion’s style, we’re heading in the right direction with a team that’s fun to watch.

And for whatever reason some of you are scared to death that someone might be actually enjoying our team. So under the guise of “I’m just keeping it real,” or, “I’m not wearing green-colored glasses,” you come on hear to p*** in everyone’s Wheaties as though you somehow are more grounded than the rest of the world. No...you’re not. That kind of thinking is what makes a person twist a perfectly harmless and valid statement in order to say they suffer from “delusions of grandeur.” Unlike you of course.
It’s also kind of miserable to hang the last 30 years around people’s neck who have only been here the last 4 (Dan) to 8 (Hamrick) years. It took Kermit Davis 10 years to reach the NIT at MTSU. But he had them in the top 2 or 3 in the Sun Belt every year and MTSU seen that as improvement over what they were. Now they’re a team no big school wants to see in the first round of the NCAA tournament; and who we’ve got to knock off to get there.

We have a team that is fun to watch. Dan is doing great with this team. Gosh I wish the herd. played WV this year. Be a great game

I guess I’m just sick of all the fans who are constantly talking about how much the programs have accomplished and are ALWAYS wearing rose colored glasses.. OR think there’s always a reason why we get screwed. The refs, the BCS, the media, the playoff system, TV contracts. How about we just win one GD thing one GD time. Winning half a crappy CUSA conference and having a good team in 1997 doesn’t accomplish shyt. It doesn’t mean we have done anything in the last 15 years in football to get any better and we haven’t done anything in basketball... EVER. Maybe I’m just sick of all the speak.. and not the act

We have a team that is fun to watch. Dan is doing great with this team. Gosh I wish the herd. played WV this year. Be a great game

This is exactly what I’m talking about- STOP TALKING ABOUT WVU. I swear to God some people are more worried about what WVU does than our own season. I for one actually want to play WVU every year because it’s interesting, draws interest to fans outside the area, and gives both teams a game inside the state. But ‘be a great game’.. are you effing serious? I like this team too and as I’ve said they have definitely gotten better since day one and I actually see us competing to make the Dance this year. But can we please focus on that rather than how we might matchup with WVU. Who cares??!!!

Reactions: The Real SamC
This is exactly what I’m talking about- STOP TALKING ABOUT WVU. I swear to God some people are more worried about what WVU does than our own season. I for one actually want to play WVU every year because it’s interesting, draws interest to fans outside the area, and gives both teams a game inside the state. But ‘be a great game’.. are you effing serious? I like this team too and as I’ve said they have definitely gotten better since day one and I actually see us competing to make the Dance this year. But can we please focus on that rather than how we might matchup with WVU. Who cares??!!!
Nothing like a WVU fan preaching to Herd fans about what Herd fans can discuss on a Herd forum. When does your team play again, Pull? You know, the team when discussing, you refer to as "we".

Reactions: 19MU88
I guess I’m just sick of all the fans who are constantly talking about how much the programs have accomplished and are ALWAYS wearing rose colored glasses.. OR think there’s always a reason why we get screwed. The refs, the BCS, the media, the playoff system, TV contracts. How about we just win one GD thing one GD time. Winning half a crappy CUSA conference and having a good team in 1997 doesn’t accomplish shyt. It doesn’t mean we have done anything in the last 15 years in football to get any better and we haven’t done anything in basketball... EVER. Maybe I’m just sick of all the speak.. and not the act

Wow...and all this time I thought the fans were talking about how they enjoy watching the team and seeing noticeable improvement in player development and competitiveness. I thought they were excited that we might be pretty good next year with the addition of some players that remediate our weakness. I guess I just didn’t see this deep rooted belief that we were a few officiating calls and an elite-biased system away from dominating the college sports world.

I guess I should thank you for being one of the true visionaries that can sort through what appears as genuine optimism and uncovering the green-tinted, deeply entrenched, and total lack of intellectual honesty that permeates our fan base. I’m thinking you must be trained in analytical and psychological thinking. What’s your best guess...that this absolute disregard for reality that is being masked behind a wall of optimism got its roots in the Freudian latency period of child development? I mean...I’m guessing it goes way back.

Anyway...thank you for your service. You’re a great Herd fan. Maybe if we, the fan base, were more seated in reality we could begin the transition to “win(ning) one GD thing one GD time.” Maybe even winning a whole “crappy conference” and finally accomplishing something worth a “shyte.” Hell...maybe someday we could even reach unheard of heights and win THE AMERICAN!

Reactions: caliherd
Nothing like a WVU fan preaching to Herd fans about what Herd fans can discuss on a Herd forum. When does your team play again, Pull? You know, the team when discussing, you refer to as "we".
Hey Drew douche. You couldn’t even respond when I called you out for your BS and now you just hide and try to slip in the conversation with more of your total nonsense. Seriously do us all a favor... shut the F up

Wow...and all this time I thought the fans were talking about how they enjoy watching the team and seeing noticeable improvement in player development and competitiveness. I thought they were excited that we might be pretty good next year with the addition of some players that remediate our weakness. I guess I just didn’t see this deep rooted belief that we were a few officiating calls and an elite-biased system away from dominating the college sports world.

I guess I should thank you for being one of the true visionaries that can sort through what appears as genuine optimism and uncovering the green-tinted, deeply entrenched, and total lack of intellectual honesty that permeates our fan base. I’m thinking you must be trained in analytical and psychological thinking. What’s your best guess...that this absolute disregard for reality that is being masked behind a wall of optimism got its roots in the Freudian latency period of child development? I mean...I’m guessing it goes way back.

Anyway...thank you for your service. You’re a great Herd fan. Maybe if we, the fan base, were more seated in reality we could begin the transition to “win(ning) one GD thing one GD time.” Maybe even winning a whole “crappy conference” and finally accomplishing something worth a “shyte.” Hell...maybe someday we could even reach unheard of heights and win THE AMERICAN!

I rest my case

Hey Drew douche. You couldn’t even respond when I called you out for your BS and now you just hide and try to slip in the conversation with more of your total nonsense. Seriously do us all a favor... shut the F up
Moving forward, please try to remember logging off your fraudulent Pullman account, prior to posting on the eer board under your normal name. It will save you from your own fans ridiculing you.

We, we, we....

Moving forward, please try to remember logging off your fraudulent Pullman account, prior to posting on the eer board under your normal name. It will save you from your own fans ridiculing you.

We, we, we....
I’ve already explained my position with that genius. But since you’re obviously misguided you can go back and read it.

Let me get this straight.. some Dbag with a Michigan icon is on here telling me that I’m a fan of another school.... I mean is this a dream? Did you recently get donkey kicked?

I’ve already explained my position with that genius. But since you’re obviously misguided you can go back and read it.

Let me get this straight.. some Dbag with a Michigan icon is on here telling me that I’m a fan of another school.... I mean is this a dream? Did you recently get donkey kicked?
No dream, eer fan. A Michigan guy is calling you out as a fraud. Of course, you're not the first eer fan to dress up in green, and more than likely, it's not the only time you've done so. Have you ever considered getting a job?

giphy.gif

No dream, eer fan. A Michigan guy is calling you out as a fraud. Of course, you're not the first eer fan to dress up in green, and more than likely, it's not the only time you've done so. Have you ever considered getting a job?

I’ll let you try reading my comments about it instead of guessing. I realize Michigan is stuck in the land of liberal but it IS possible for you to actually read instead of just assuming. Let me know if you need help, I can try to walk you through the bigger words with multiple syllables.

I’ll let you try reading my comments about it instead of guessing. I realize Michigan is stuck in the land of liberal but it IS possible for you to actually read instead of just assuming. Let me know if you need help, I can try to walk you through the bigger words with multiple syllables.
You mean liberal Michigan, the state with a Republican Governor, the state with 9 of 14 Congressional Representatives being Republican, and the state that was critical to electing Donald J. Trump? That liberal Michigan?

You mean liberal Michigan, the state with a Republican Governor, the state with 9 of 14 Congressional Representatives being Republican, and the state that was critical to electing Donald J. Trump? That liberal Michigan?

No I mean Michigan, the college. Darn I REALLY thought that was enough of a softball even you could decipher it. My bad.. Carry On

No I mean Michigan, the college. Darn I REALLY thought that was enough of a softball even you could decipher it. My bad.. Carry On
Oh, so Michigan being stuck in the land of liberal was about the college? Sorry, sometimes, it's hard to follow you eer fans when you attempt to type out sentences. But, you're right, UofM is definitely a liberal institution, just like 99.83% of the other institutions across this great country of ours.

Well, this thread has veered off course just a smidge! I am 58, but my Dad is almost 82. He was @ Marshall during the beginning years of what we now know is about a 40 year period when Marshall basketball rose to heights not seen before or since. 1948 NAIB small college Natty champs; the 50's when Riv was the HC & we had Walowac, Slack, Greer, Byrd, the gold dust twins (Cebe Price was 1/2 of that duo) ...MAC champs (1) during this period. The great mid-late 60's teams with Stone, D'Antoni, Redd, Allen, Davidson, & others coached by Ellis Johnson. The magical '71-'72 squad that included Mike D, Russell Lee, dearly departed Ty Collins, Randy Knoll, Bill James etc. coached for that single season by Carl Tacy. Pretty solid teams in the interim until the trifecta w/Huck. Evans, Labo, White, Battle, Henry, Skip,Richardson, lots of bigs I am not remembering! Who'da thunk it would be basically 30 more years to get going in the right direction?
WS

Oh, so Michigan being stuck in the land of liberal was about the college? Sorry, sometimes, it's hard to follow you eer fans when you attempt to type out sentences. But, you're right, UofM is definitely a liberal institution, just like 99.83% of the other institutions across this great country of ours.

In other words you still haven’t read it, are still crying because I dimed you out for being a troll, and you’re salty because everyone else laughs when you try to act like you know what you’re talking about in your posts. Time for you to exit stage left.

Well, I'll be a troll if you like. I have about 15 or so years of trolling experience. You never answered my question, mountaineer, so I'll ask again. Have you considered getting a job?

Actu
Well, I'll be a troll if you like. I have about 15 or so years of trolling experience. You never answered my question, mountaineer, so I'll ask again. Have you considered getting a job?

Actually in all likelyhood I make more money than you can only dream of sniffing, but I really don’t care about money. Did you want to answer the question I asked you? Why are you a bitch ass Michigander trolling a Marshall Board? Your boyfriend working overtime at Starbucks and you’re out of weed so you’re bored?

There it is. The young eer fan with the classic rebuttal: I make more money than the guy I'm communicating with, despite the fact I don't even know who I'm communicating with.

Congrats mountaineer. You just won the internet, along with two free tickets to see the Statler Brothers perform live at the Raleigh County Armory next Saturday night.

Reactions: 19MU88
There it is. The young eer fan with the classic rebuttal: I make more money than the guy I'm communicating with, despite the fact I don't even know who I'm communicating with.

Congrats mountaineer. You just won the internet, along with two free tickets to see the Statler Brothers perform live at the Raleigh County Armory next Saturday night.
Funny i didn’t say any of that, try reading it again. You’ve gotta be the dumbest mother***** on here. You take things out of context, can’t answer a simple question, try to act smart with your analysis of posts (which everyone sees through) and then troll to make yourself feel better. Oh and then use played out lines such as ‘you won the internet’.

Seriously... what a tremendous douchebag you are.

I’m not going to argue with your liberal whiny ass anymore. You can’t even stay on topic or answer a simple question. You just spend your time trying to catch me in a mistake instead of saying something relevant (typical liberal douche 101). I think it’s time to go connect to Starbucks WiFi and pick up dudes. My advice: stay in Ann Arbor where it’s a safe zone.

Danny was coached by Ellis Johnson...that is all you need to know! I think either Mike or Russell Lee told me that on recruiting visits Ellis would drive around town with his leg up on the front seat, and loved to blow his car horn long and loud when he went under the railroad overpasses. I still think one of the most memorable moments in Fieldhouse and Herd bb history was Ellis, the dog, and the glasses. Being at a competitive school at the time, to me Danny was a tough, smart, skilled qb-coach on the floor.

I submit for your review THE most ridiculous post of the year.

Well, this thread has veered off course just a smidge! I am 58, but my Dad is almost 82. He was @ Marshall during the beginning years of what we now know is about a 40 year period when Marshall basketball rose to heights not seen before or since. 1948 NAIB small college Natty champs; the 50's when Riv was the HC & we had Walowac, Slack, Greer, Byrd, the gold dust twins (Cebe Price was 1/2 of that duo) ...MAC champs (1) during this period. The great mid-late 60's teams with Stone, D'Antoni, Redd, Allen, Davidson, & others coached by Ellis Johnson. The magical '71-'72 squad that included Mike D, Russell Lee, dearly departed Ty Collins, Randy Knoll, Bill James etc. coached for that single season by Carl Tacy. Pretty solid teams in the interim until the trifecta w/Huck. Evans, Labo, White, Battle, Henry, Skip,Richardson, lots of bigs I am not remembering! Who'da thunk it would be basically 30 more years to get going in the right direction?
WS

David Wade and Don Turney? Tom Curry? All better than Jeff Richardson lol....although Jeff was a really good dude. Hell, throw Jeff Guthrie on that list...

I agree with you. I’m not the one who came on here from Michigan and started trolling. At what point do the mods start cleaning house with these imbeciles?
I agree. You should definitely be expelled from the board. Since day one, you've done nothing but make snide trolling remarks. Even in this thread, you attempt to troll my friend from Mt. Hope, Mr. Sweeney. You failed.

How about a few more we we's.

I agree. You should definitely be expelled from the board. Since day one, you've done nothing but make snide trolling remarks. Even in this thread, you attempt to troll my friend from Mt. Hope, Mr. Sweeney. You failed.

How about a few more we we's.

Unfortunately nobody buys your BS anymore. Especially since you keep ducking questions. Move along troll

. Oh and then use played out lines such as ‘you won the internet’.

Yeah, he should have used more modern phrases like “time for you to exit stage left,” “I can try to walk you through the bigger words with multiple syllables,” or simply mocking his alleged sexuality. But you used all of those cutting-edge jabs in this thread, so he didn’t want to be the 50 millionth person to do so this century.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Yeah, he should have used more modern phrases like “time for you to exit stage left,” “I can try to walk you through the bigger words with multiple syllables,” or simply mocking his alleged sexuality. But you used all of those cutting-edge jabs in this thread, so he didn’t want to be the 50 millionth person to do so this century.

It’s not mocking it when he does it to himself, it’s simply pointing it out. But since you’re more interested in being offended by political correctness than commenting on the original intent of the Post, I wouldn’t expect you to understand that.

ADVERTISEMENT