ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Herd FB to Play Notre Dame in 2022

Sam, you are as dense as a slab of stone. Even you know that you can't give an incomplete after 5 seasons? I could do a poll, but why pile on? A letter grade is in order after the body of work performed thus far. You do know what we started with in '14, correct? And you also know that DD has won more games each year in the 1st 4 seasons. And last year we won the tourney, eclipsed 25 wins and notched the program's 1st ever NCAA win. No one but you would say the juries still out. I would grade Dan at A- so far, the - only because we have struggled some this year. If you have to knock back a shot of milk of magnesia, whatever it takes, what is your letter grade for the Herd b-ball program since 2014-15?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05xa7jIYxDtS2J5q4Cu07zWAQ

Big mistake to play ND at ND. We can't even beat WVU. I for one, get no thrill to just be "on the same field" in a game like this.

Hope I am wrong, but IMO it's not good advertising for The Herd to be royally whipped on national TV..

This year in BB we are no positive pub after the UVA game.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yes, Mike IS the greatest AD we've ever had. Would be nice to get a basketball game with ND too... Think he could swing that?

I think Herdmeister said we play them next year. I could be wrong. Maybe it's just in the works?

In 2014 we played 3 mediocre MAC teams & a 1-AA. While not P5, all 3 of these opponents are higher stature than than that (ECU will not be horrible forever, and we’ve never won there). Not comparable at all.
No doubt they are better, but none of those teams is going to be recognized as a quality opponent; at best they'd just be another equivalent mid-major. I was mostly just noting the bad luck in that we have no chance at a quality regular season win in 2021, so even if Isaiah Green develops into the next Rakeem Cato, it may not matter.

Full disclosure: 2014 was one of my least favorite Marshall seasons ever. Every game we won, the only attention it got us was being mocked in the national press, and then the game we lost was heart-breaking, and we finished the season just playing another MAC team in a December bowl. It felt like the year that I realized Marshall football was never getting back to where it had been, because that door is now permanently closed.

Full disclosure: 2014 was one of my least favorite Marshall seasons ever. Every game we won, the only attention it got us was being mocked in the national press

It felt like the year that I realized Marshall football was never getting back to where it had been, because that door is now permanently closed.

The "national media" AKA ESPN mocked us because if ESPN did not own your rights, it either ignored you or mocked you. In 14 ESPN only owned the championship game, so it mocked us as nothing to see. It did that to any sport or league it did not own. This has, IMHO, changed a bit since then, some because of the massive decline in Sports Center ratings, and some because if you include the ESPN+ internet service, there is almost no sport or league it does not have some rights to now.

But where exactly where had we been that the "door was closed" to? In the bowl system of the BP era we had to WIN the MAC to go to a ginned up bowl in frozen Detroit before 80% empty seats. EVERY OTHER TEAM stayed home. Today 13-0 = an access bowl and even if short of that, every team with a winning record gets a reward.

The "national media" AKA ESPN mocked us because if ESPN did not own your rights, it either ignored you or mocked you. In 14 ESPN only owned the championship game, so it mocked us as nothing to see. It did that to any sport or league it did not own.

Christ. This bullshit again.

Samantha, you live in the most delusional world of anyone on this board.

The "national media" AKA ESPN

Nah, it was all of them. And in all fairness, UCF seemed to catch a similar dose of flak the last two years. It's not about rights or anything like that, its about having to talk about mid-majors in the same breath as Alabama and Clemson, especially when you know the mid-major's undefeated record is simply the result of creative scheduling and a weak conference. After 2014, I expected us to try to have at least one P5 a year, every year from now on to keep that from happening again, but that's not how it shook out.

Two more reasons I hated 2014:
1) Marshall not coming out and saying Louisville moving our game was the reason we didn't have a P5
2) Not being able to read the numbers on the jerseys until like Week 8

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I get that some people are excited because it's ND but that was a pretty big build up for a single game against anyone. I would have thought it was some huge home/home or at least some top tier 2-1 or something.

Are you going to that game? How many priests in attendance do you think will recognize you from your webcam shows?

Nah, it was all of them. And in all fairness, UCF seemed to catch a similar dose of flak the last two years. It's not about rights or anything like that, its about having to talk about mid-majors in the same breath as Alabama and Clemson, especially when you know the mid-major's undefeated record is simply the result of creative scheduling and a weak conference. After 2014, I expected us to try to have at least one P5 a year, every year from now on to keep that from happening again, but that's not how it shook out.

Two more reasons I hated 2014:
1) Marshall not coming out and saying Louisville moving our game was the reason we didn't have a P5
2) Not being able to read the numbers on the jerseys until like Week 8

Totally agree, our AD & Sports Information Ofc should have been screaming from the rooftops that we had ranked Louisville at home that year until they backed out late. But Hamrick didn’t want to throw them under the bus and risk losing the rescheduled 2016 Louisville game)

Hindsight is 20/20, but you could make a good argument that Hamrick should have replaced Louisville with any P5 one & done away game he could find, even though it would have meant only 5 home games for 2014. It’s the only way that schedule would have gotten any credibility.

Reactions: herdalicious
Are you going to that game? How many priests in attendance do you think will recognize you from your webcam shows?
Why do you always bust on him for making a hard living? He competed against some of the stiffest competition imaginable, and in the end, he flopped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT