ADVERTISEMENT

How many "fans" will root for MU to lose the bowl game?

I would hope none. I may be unhappy about things but would really have to be personal to cheer against Marshall. Rather just not care then go there. Just me though......the players are trying to rep the University, not the ones who are the root of the anger.

Unfortunately there is a significant amount of fans that would prefer we lose and I don’t get it. But they are the same ones that pull money from the Big Green that supports all programs. I may or may not like something but I am not pulling my support.

There is nothing I agree with 100% in the world.

I can’t believe these posts happen and people believe that some would want us to lose. Makes me laugh and shake my head at the logic.

Reactions: caliherd
Unfortunately there is a significant amount of fans that would prefer we lose and I don’t get it. But they are the same ones that pull money from the Big Green that supports all programs. I may or may not like something but I am not pulling my support.

Can’t believe you posted that. Surely you don’t believe that some fans want us to lose.

and then say to the world, "I could do better"

Such a grown up approach. You're like a little 12 year old, getting all emotional and resorting to such irrational statements. Mom, Dad, since you won't buy me that skateboard (because the one you have is still in great shape) you must want me to never be successful at ANYTHING!!

Sorry, but I believe in my heart of hearts there are some that root against the Herd and still think they are fans. They are not supporters, a big difference.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Can’t believe you posted that. Surely you don’t believe that some fans want us to lose.

yes I do. I have seen enough of the comments to believe it. They wouldn’t openly admit it in here but you can bet they do. Why else would they act the way they do towards the program? Yesterday’s attendance was very indicative of that. Sure there were plenty not there that don’t want us to lose but there are some that hate Doc Holliday so much they want nothing to do with winning. And had FAU lost yesterday and we were in the championship the complaining about why we won would have been at a new level.

Reactions: goherd13
But, are not happy when we win!

Who isn’t happy when we win?
You can be critical of play calls and the lack of consistency and player development. Sorry if that is hard for some to comprehend.

yes I do. I have seen enough of the comments to believe it. They wouldn’t openly admit it in here but you can bet they do. Why else would they act the way they do towards the program? Yesterday’s attendance was very indicative of that. Sure there were plenty not there that don’t want us to lose but there are some that hate Doc Holliday so much they want nothing to do with winning. And had FAU lost yesterday and we were in the championship the complaining about why we won would have been at a new level.

I would been there but with ACDF surgery on Monday, Dr. Sualle was against it. Guess I am a bad fan.

I would been there but with ACDF surgery on Monday, Dr. Sualle was against it. Guess I am a bad fan.

That sucks you had surgery. I hope you are doing better. My post wasn’t about those that weren’t there. My lost was about those that would prefer us lose than win if that meant we might get a new coach.

I don’t care how much people don’t like a coach fans should never cheer for their team to lose. And there are a decent amount of people that have been but would never admit it in here. The Charlotte game disgusted me but I was cheering just as hard yesterday to see us win and hoping FAU lose do we get to the championship.

My opinion of some "fans" wanting the Herd to lose it's bowl game is based on the tenor of remarks made on this board and another board I follow.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Truly moronic post

Find one remark where anyone ever said “I hope we lose”. You Superfans are something else.

You are clueless. You call me a superfan because I say there are people that want us to lose? You obviously have no clue what I really said. And yes the are people that want us to lose so Hamrick has no choice but get rid of Doc. They won't admit it publicly because it makes them look like an idiot. The fans spoke last Saturday...you saw how many showed up and you can bet that there was a decent amount of those that didn't show up wanted us to lose.

And another thing you are obviously clueless about is I have NOT one time said anything standing up for the HC. I have defended the players and I have been critical of coaches. I don't have to get on boards and beat my chest about how much I like or hate a coach. It serves no purpose.

I have made it clear that our performance at Charlotte was pathetic as well as other times this year. I have been very frustrated. Go look for my posts here and elsewhere and you can see that. In fact...you will see where I have been critical of our staff and that starts at the top. I have been critical of coaching decisions in both basketball and football but you won't see me get on here and trash the Coach or AD. As I said...it serves no purpose for me. If that makes you think I am a "superfan" like a few others on here then you have no clue about things. You don't know me in anyway and how I support or don't support our Head Football coach or our athletic department or any other sports.

laughable. you have no clue. you really don't.

I have no clue why you’d at the stupid things you say on here that is correct. Find a post where anyone said they hope we lose. Yes people want to get rid of John and we wish Hamrick would do something about it. But that’s BECAUSE HE LOSES! Not because we want him to. This is not a hard concept to figure out, except for you obviously

We have become like dogs chasing our own tails. I have a feeling there are a lot of fans just wishing for wins, not concerned about how they are achieved; whether they match their personal choice in how the game is played. We argue about semantics instead of substance.

Outsiders are probably laughing at us; running down an AD that has done more for the long term results of the university than anyone in the schools history, attacking the success of a coach with a winning record in the higher mid to upper wining percentage in the last three seasons; on and on and on,

Now we've migrated to attacking each other and implying stupidity of others due to them merely disagreeing with us,

Actually sounds and feels like our political discord as well.

You can question Hamricks decision making on extending Doc's contract, but other than that the only mistake he has ever really made was in 2016, I believe, when the wheels were falling off the wagon on our season and he openly blamed the fans as if they were the reason the team was doing so bad. He broke the #1 rule of business and that's never bite the hand that feeds you. In business you do everything you can to never tell the customer they are wrong and you definitely don't blame them for your failures. It was unprofessional and honestly a bush league move or beta for those that prefer it. Without that one moment of uncontrolled emotionalality I think he wouldn't be getting nearly the pushback that is directed at him now. Of course people would still be angry of his handling of Doc and his contracts, but that statement fueled a much bigger amount of discord in the fan base. It's sad because Hamrick has done a lot of great things for the athletic department over the years, but as we see in social media these days one emotional comment can ruin years of good things.

Mikes done a very good job overall.
Facilities, scheduling, making some solid hires in the minor sports.
My only issue with Mike has been poor attitude toward the fan base in general and placing blame on us. And not working on or implementing new ideas on building the fan base.

Football game day environment has enough blame to go around.

You want more fans in the stadium? Provide exciting and competent teams like 2014.

2014 average attendance 27,461 with zero big name opponent in Joan.

2019 average attendance 23,189 with U Cin at home. Without the UC game we averaged 21,689.

The difference between those years is appx 4000 per game x $20 x 6 home games = $480,000

You want more fans in the stadium? Provide exciting and competent teams like 2014.

2014 average attendance 27,461 with zero big name opponent in Joan.

2019 average attendance 23,189 with U Cin at home. Without the UC game we averaged 21,689.

The difference between those years is appx 4000 per game x $20 x 6 home games = $480,000
true EG ,but this year we had an extra home game so it still comes out to about 3.2 m of revenue for the season

I can see both sides to this...

One one side, you have fans complaining after a win and often attribute Doc to being a lowly and mediocre head coach.
To them its not that Doc or MU won, its the other team made enough mistakes to lose...and it can be seen with how people react.
Despite the near disaster of a season since MU lost their WR's and best defensive player early, winning, really does cure all ills.
A win is a win, and it should be seen as such.
Instead, there's always criticism, and yes, no team wins are perfect, they can become excessive.
People wrote off MU after MTSU and are too sensitive to abandoning the program so early on in the season.
Instead of, "Division is still up for grabs. Lets see if we can win out" its "Look at who we have lost to...we are horrible."
Combine that with the fixation on certain games well into the past and no optimism for future ones, as though the team is never able to improve...and a loss solidifies that more than anything.

On the flipside...

I think one thing that unites fans is MU's bowl streak (in this case) because its something MU has built on before Doc even got here and he has been able to maintain it.
Furthermore, plenty of the wins are against superior teams/conferences. While some will say "well Doc has several weeks to prepare" he actually does seem to do that, in the same amount of time everyone else does, and is very successful with it.

Its probably the one thing most fans really can't be critical of Doc for...and something fans can simply brag about to others...not even having to say Doc's name, just the record/streak.

While Doc is certainly far from the best coach ever, Charlotte, UC, and MTSU were just horrible, and I will be as critical of him those games as anyone else, he has some positives and does some things right, bowl games being one of them.
Another being his overall attitude towards MU and the program. He is always emotional during the fountain ceremony and has good things to say about the community in general, and I think he genuinely wants to lead MU.

I certainly wouldn't want him to lose, because a loss affects everyone even if its not on Doc.

You can question Hamricks decision making on extending Doc's contract, but other than that the only mistake he has ever really made was in 2016, I believe, when the wheels were falling off the wagon on our season and he openly blamed the fans as if they were the reason the team was doing so bad. He broke the #1 rule of business and that's never bite the hand that feeds you. In business you do everything you can to never tell the customer they are wrong and you definitely don't blame them for your failures. It was unprofessional and honestly a bush league move or beta for those that prefer it. Without that one moment of uncontrolled emotionalality I think he wouldn't be getting nearly the pushback that is directed at him now. Of course people would still be angry of his handling of Doc and his contracts, but that statement fueled a much bigger amount of discord in the fan base. It's sad because Hamrick has done a lot of great things for the athletic department over the years, but as we see in social media these days one emotional comment can ruin years of good things.

I agree 100%
2016 was a bad time for everyone, the team, the fans, the entire AD, and the scope of the school in general.

Since then however, he has been showing improvements across campus and things like the Hoops soccer stadium, have paid off recently.
Maybe its his way of redeeming himself for 2016?
I dunno.
In either case he has shown tremendous drive to making MU better than when he got here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT