ADVERTISEMENT

Just Call Me “World Champion Head Coach” From Now On

big_country90

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
I had the pleasure of head coaching my son’s baseball team as well as my daughter’s Tball team this year. It has been an absolute blast. In our TBall division, we start using a pitching machine halfway through the season. My 5 year year old daughter made All Stars and actually got several hits off the machine. I was super proud of her. She’s going to be a natural. When she got her first hit I hugged her like she just won the World Series.

My son and his team absolutely dominated this year. We went 14-2 and won by an average of 15+ runs. The two games we lost were just bad days and bad coaching, quite honestly. My son batted .905 this year, only striking out one time all year. He absolutely crushed it. In the championship game, we clamped down on the other team and simply dominated them. My son made an unassisted double play to end the next to last inning, and made the final play of the game by stopping a hard grounder to 1st and getting the force out to win the whole thing. He immediately ran and jumped into my arms and we shared a big hug before he went and celebrated with his team. Every father needs a moment like that with his son. This was a special year and something that I will never forget as long as I live. Watching my son and his teammates grow like they did, offensively and defensively, was something else. It amazes me how kids can perform with hard work, camaraderie, and a lot of repetition. I’m one proud daddy/coach, to say the least.

All star teams for five years olds? I can't wait to see the video of the parents brawling in your league in the near future.

I mean, Christ - can the average five year old even count to 20 and spell their name? But hey, they made their T-ball all star team! This isn't a knock on BC, but rather, a knock on society in general.

All star teams for five years olds? I can't wait to see the video of the parents brawling in your league in the near future.

I mean, Christ - can the average five year old even count to 20 and spell their name? But hey, they made their T-ball all star team! This isn't a knock on BC, but rather, a knock on society in general.

You’d be surprised how much five and six year old kids improve over the course of a couple months. Some of them are just built for sports. It’s a reward for those who show skill and potential. Also, the All Star game is played on the big field, not the T-ball field. It gives them exposure to a big-time game and it’s really fun on top of that. It’s an actual game, not everybody batting around and not keeping score. It’s a legit game. You would really enjoy it.

My son is nine years old. He showed so much progression this year it’s ridiculous. Late in the season, we had to change up some things defensively, which ultimately led to us winning the championship. I was very hesitant to play him at first base all year, but with the changes I made on defense, it resulted in him going to first base. He ended up playing the position as well as anybody in the league. I actually apologized to him after the season for not having more confidence in him to play first base. I was embarrassed that I did not trust him anymore than I did, and he certainly proved me wrong. I believe baseball is going to be his best sport, and that’s quite alright with me.

This is one of those “life experiences” that you really need, rifle. You have no idea the joy it will bring you.

My biggest pet peeve with coach pitch at an early age is that coaches tend to believe that the easier they throw the ball the better chance the kids has to hit it. The result is a ball that comes head to toe through the strike zone. Kids have to swing up up to hit the ball. It engrains very poor swing mechanics at an age where the only thing that should matter is mechanics. Pitch the ball on a level plane. You have to throw harder to maintain the plane through the strike zone, but kids eventual catch up to it.

But almost every tee ball game I’ve ever watched, the pitches look like they belong in a men’s slow pitch bar league.

Coaching and being around youth sports is very rewarding. I enjoyed it very much.

Not sure about All Star teams at 5 years old. That seems a little too early for that. I wouldn't even want to full with it as a parent to be honest. Have the season for the 5 year olds and hell let's have a pizza party. Done with it. I have seen lots of kids be "studs" at that age or even up to 12 or so and then by 13 or older they are not so good or they migrate to other sports.

My biggest pet peeve with coach pitch at an early age is that coaches tend to believe that the easier they throw the ball the better chance the kids has to hit it. The result is a ball that comes head to toe through the strike zone. Kids have to swing up up to hit the ball. It engrains very poor swing mechanics at an age where the only thing that should matter is mechanics. Pitch the ball on a level plane. You have to throw harder to maintain the plane through the strike zone, but kids eventual catch up to it.

But almost every tee ball game I’ve ever watched, the pitches look like they belong in a men’s slow pitch bar league.
I think the machine is a better option at that age. tee, then some live arm coach pitch in practice, machine in the games after awhile. Get them off the tee when you can. Never did like coach pitch as well.

Coach pitch is too hard. Some coaches throw it one way, others can't throw it well enough, some rainbow it, etc.

The old catapult machine is better in my book.

Reactions: GK4Herd and Jartard
You’d be surprised how much five and six year old kids improve over the course of a couple months. Some of them are just built for sports. It’s a reward for those who show skill and potential. Also, the All Star game is played on the big field, not the T-ball field. It gives them exposure to a big-time game and it’s really fun on top of that. It’s an actual game, not everybody batting around and not keeping score. It’s a legit game. You would really enjoy it.
They're five fvcking years old. Some can run faster than the others, some can catch and throw better than the others, but they all still suck when it comes to baseball fundamentals.

You could field the all star team, have a coach pitch to a kid who hits it to shortstop, and the shortstop still won't be able to field the ground ball and throw it to a first baseman covering the bag before the runner gets there.

Five fvcking years old. Stop the all star shit.

• Haha
Reactions: GK4Herd

I think five is a little young for all-stars as well. But I also believe that a lot depends on how the coach handled it at that level. The emphasis have to be on a positive experience and fundamentals. Some parents absolutely ruin team sports. I was at a tourney once where the police had to be called to break up fights between the parents of two 8u teams. My team was warming up off the field and was scheduled to play next game on the same field. When my game started I was called with the other coach to home plate by the umpire, who I knew pretty well. He was a Barboursville city police. Anyway, when we meet at home plate I guess he had enough of it from the prior game. He just takes out his badge and flips it open and says...if I have any trouble from any of your parents I’m taking them to jail. That was the greatest home plate/umpire meeting I ever had. Whenever I cross his path I bring up that story.

I think five is a little young for all-stars as well. But I also believe that a lot depends on how the coach handled it at that level. The emphasis have to be on a positive experience and fundamentals. Some parents absolutely ruin team sports. I was at a tourney once where the police had to be called to break up fights between the parents of two 8u teams. My team was warming up off the field and was scheduled to play next game on the same field. When my game started I was called with the other coach to home plate by the umpire, who I knew pretty well. He was a Barboursville city police. Anyway, when we meet at home plate I guess he had enough of it from the prior game. He just takes out his badge and flips it open and says...if I have any trouble from any of your parents I’m taking them to jail. That was the greatest home plate/umpire meeting I ever had. Whenever I cross his path I bring up that story.

The old town cop umpire. We had one of those. He was a Teddy Valentine type. Part of the show.

Worst one we had was a town councilman and he would piss me off. He and I had good banter between innings one time about a call and I told I am not even going to vote for you and you are a Republican. Bunch of 10 and 11 year old kids sitting there looking at us. hahahaha

On a side note, it’s kind of cool to see a girl that played in the same organization I coached in (She was maybe three or four years younger than the team I coached) in the college world series. Montana Fouts, from just over in Kentucky played travel ball locally here as a kid. She’s now the starting pitcher at Alabama and pitched only the fifth perfect game in world series history a few weeks ago. I watched that kid at a very young age. She dominated. A very special talent. I coached a lot of kids that played on a college level. My pitcher for several years at 14/16u played at Marshall and made all-conference CUSA her senior year. The Zerkle kid played on the same team as herdman’s friend‘s daughter. There was a lot of amazing talent locally and these kids all seem to be very well adjusted and doing well post softball. All of them started at a young age. So it doesn’t ruin a kid if handled correctly.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

That’s why I like the fact that the Hurricane baseball league uses a pitching machine. I hate coach pitch as well.

They're five fvcking years old. Some can run faster than the others, some can catch and throw better than the others, but they all still suck when it comes to baseball fundamentals.

You could field the all star team, have a coach pitch to a kid who hits it to shortstop, and the shortstop still won't be able to field the ground ball and throw it to a first baseman covering the bag before the runner gets there.

Five fvcking years old. Stop the all star shit.

It’s...all...for...fun!

Serious question… At what age does the guy with no kids believe that children should be able to participate in an All-Star game?

The Zerkle kid
I'm a big fan of her self-photography skills.

It’s...all...for...fun!

Serious question… At what age does the guy with no kids believe that children should be able to participate in an All-Star game?

I probably would go with the age that the guys in this thread who have children and believe five is too young think is good:

I think five is a little young for all-stars as well.
Not sure about All Star teams at 5 years old. That seems a little too early for that.

From Little League:

This is the beginning, for many Little Leaguers®, ages 5 to 8. The goal and expectation should be for your child to fall in love with baseball or softball, where they can’t wait to get to the diamond for practices and games. To make that happen, the experience must be fun.

There should be no pressure to perform and every opportunity to learn, grow, socialize with teammates, and acquire basic understanding of the game, and its rules and techniques. Coaches and parents should exercise extreme patience with all skill levels, and, as at all ages, parents should be primarily concerned with their children learning life lessons, such as the values of determination, persistence, staying open to learning, and managing emotions around any frustration your children may feel around their skill sets.

Come on, five years old? They don't even tie their own fvcking shoes, and you want to select them to an all star team?

These kids aren't even in kindergarten for Christ's sake.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I probably would go with the age that the guys in this thread who have children and believe five is too young think is good

So you arbitrarily take their side because it confirms your opinion. Got it. Let’s not listen to the guy who actually just coached these kids.

I coached little league aged kids for several years, up until having to fight a parent not once, but on two different occasions during my final year. Decided right there, it simply wasn't worth it anymore. Woman beat my ass both times too.

As for the 5 year olds having all-star teams, I'm going to have to side with rifle on this one. I mean, you could literally have a 5 year old shit their pants in the dugout, or worse yet, pull out their wiener and take a piss while rounding 2nd base. It's way too young of an age to be picking the best players. Should be all about teaching them the game, in hopes they'll learn to love the game and continue playing it.

What is coach greed's take on this? He's famous out Wayne for his extraordinary coaching tactics.

So you arbitrarily take their side because it confirms your opinion. Got it. Let’s not listen to the guy who actually just coached these kids.

People whom have coached youth sports who side with me: 3
People whom have coached youth sports who side with you (outside of you): 0

Expert publications I have posted that side with me: 1
You: 0

Again, these fvcking kids don't even tie their own shoes, yet you want to have an all star game in baseball for them? Do you need me to post articles from psychologists, including sports psychologists, discussing how society is trying to do things too young with children, especially related to sports?

If for 1 minute I believed the OP had a kid bat .905 for the season, then I'd ask him. Moron.

I didn't have the heart to even begin discussing that. And that is for 9-10 year olds. Clearly, as long as you put the ball in play, you're almost guaranteed to get a "hit."

Yet the guy wants to have all stars for kids half that age?

I didn't have the heart to even begin discussing that. And that is for 9-10 year olds. Clearly, as long as you put the ball in play, you're almost guaranteed to get a "hit."

or the league completely sucks. Dang. Plus, who keeps book can really influence a batting avg.

As for All Stars, I never even gave a crap about 9 and 10 all start. Whatever. I have seen studs at 9 and 10 couldn't hit or field worth a lick by the time they are 13 and can't do much at 14 or 15.

At 5 I wanted to draft kids based on whose dad would help coach and what their mom looked like. Oh, and who had a pool for the pool party.

I've seen all kinds of players. One that is even in the bigs now and through the years, I have seen them all. 5 year old All Stars makes no sense to me. I would say maybe by the time they are 11 and 12 I might give a flip.

He was 38-42 this year. Do the math. He struck out one time all year. The vast majority of his hits were in the outfield. Did he get the benefit of poor defense on some? Sure? But you don’t take that away from him. I’m super proud of him, and as his dad I will brag on him until the cows come home.

or the league completely sucks. Dang. Plus, who keeps book can really influence a batting avg.

As for All Stars, I never even gave a crap about 9 and 10 all start. Whatever. I have seen studs at 9 and 10 couldn't hit or field worth a lick by the time they are 13 and can't do much at 14 or 15.

At 5 I wanted to draft kids based on whose dad would help coach and what their mom looked like. Oh, and who had a pool for the pool party.

I've seen all kinds of players. One that is even in the bigs now and through the years, I have seen them all. 5 year old All Stars makes no sense to me. I would say maybe by the time they are 11 and 12 I might give a flip.

I personally kept track of his batting average because he is my son. I didn’t keep track of anybody else’s. I believe, as adults, we all understand that having that kind of batting average at nine years old is not going to carry over into high school. I get that. But Jesus guys, I’m just bragging on my son. At his level, he was the best at something. And I will never take that away from him.

Reactions: KyMUfan and GK4Herd

Did you ever see any of the Tournament of Champions games at C-K? I enjoyed those games and miss them.

Reactions: imherdfan
I personally kept track of his batting average because he is my son. I didn’t keep track of anybody else’s. I believe, as adults, we all understand that having that kind of batting average at nine years old is not going to carry over into high school. I get that. But Jesus guys, I’m just bragging on my son. At his level, he was the best at something. And I will never take that away from him.

Sorry some people here felt the need to not only rain on your parade but also try to cancel it as well. Glad you were able to be a part of your kids' lives this summer. Enjoy it as they grow up so fast. Adults and parents can be and are both positive and negative influences in sports so please keep things in perspective. Each kid is different and you should know yours better than internet posters. Have fun and best wishes!

No..don't think so

State 9-10 champions from several states - WV, FL, NC, SC, GA, AL and hit or miss from TN, KY and IN. Maybe some others. Some really good baseball played there.

Moved several years ago. See the link below.

Sorry some people here felt the need to not only rain on your parade but also try to cancel it as well.

Haven't you heard? We divide up into teams here and oppose or validate positions based on where we fall on the political spectrum and whether we have an already held antagonist relation with the person we’re responding to.

Although on the surface I oppose all-star at that age group, especially if they have to leave kids out when picking a team. No way five year olds should suffer exclusion when the whole purpose for introducing sports at that age is to provide a positive experience and teach fundamentals. But that doesn’t mean that Hurricane LL ran the all-stars in a way that promoted a potential negative experience for young kids. And I agree...BC is just a proud parent. Nothing wrong with that.

But since we don’t always agree ideologically, that makes you wrong anyway, so...

Reactions: KyMUfan
He was 38-42 this year. Do the math.
Yeah, that's the point. You're keeping track of your nine year old son's batting average. The fact that he hit over .900 according to you entirely proves my point about having all stars at five years old. If a team of 9-10 year olds can't even be skilled enough to properly field a position defensively in order to make an out, what the fvck are we doing having all stars for five year olds?

Sorry some people here felt the need to not only rain on your parade but also try to cancel it as well. Glad you were able to be a part of your kids' lives this summer. Enjoy it as they grow up so fast. Adults and parents can be and are both positive and negative influences in sports so please keep things in perspective. Each kid is different and you should know yours better than internet posters. Have fun and best wishes!
Oh, you whiny little cvnt-bitch. Give it up. His thread was posted for five days without a single response. I am the only one who cared enough to post in it and actually give it any attention, because presumably, everyone else was a bit uncomfortable with five year olds having an all star team (as has been supported by multiple experienced coaches of youth baseball/softball).

Nobody is raining on his parade other than the child psychiatrists, sports psychiatrists, and experienced coaches in this thread saying they aren't comfortable with all star teams for five year olds.

For the record, nine and ten year olds can definitely field outs. My 10u team went to the championship game in the ASA Eastern Nationals down in Salem, VA. Those kids could play. And they were girls.

For the record, nine and ten year olds can definitely field outs. My 10u team went to the championship game in the ASA Eastern Nationals down in Salem, VA. Those kids could play. And they were girls.

My team was very strong defensively this year. That’s the main reason we won the championship.

There are a couple of the usual Chinese apologists that popped up here. Wonder if they will be as critical of the Chinese as they are BC?

You already said what you said. You don't have to feel badly and try to cover your tracks now. You think that five years old is too young for all stars. I agree. Thanks for weighing in with your experienced opinion.

There are a couple of the usual Chinese apologists that popped up here. Wonder if they will be as critical of the Chinese as they are BC?

Do you even bother to read your own links, moron? The very first caption states "But the system is beginning to break down" and later goes on to say that Chinese parents aren't supporting the system as they used to.

In other words, you're posting a source that shows that even the Chinese are against Big Country's iron-fisted parental coaching tactics. Nice job arguing against yourself, moron.

Let the five year olds run around, learn the game, socialize, have fun, and not start weeding out who is the best/worst of the bunch. Doing that isn't even working in China's society.

You already said what you said. You don't have to feel badly and try to cover your tracks now. You think that five years old is too young for all stars. I agree. Thanks for weighing in with your experienced opinion.

Not covering my tracks at all. I stand by them totally. I was responding to the following statement...

If a team of 9-10 year olds can't even be skilled enough to properly field a position defensively in order to make an out, what the fvck are we doing having all stars for five year olds

Nine and ten year olds are certainly capable of fielding outs. Not sure why you think that’s backtracking on my five year old statement.

I've seen a lot of good defense by 9-10 year olds, especially at the Tournament of State Champions.

I believe Tom Seaver felt that pitching shouldn't occur until after 12 years old and that hitting at those ages was weaker than fielding. I think he also felt there should be weight divisions in youth sports as well as age divisions.

Nine and ten year olds are certainly capable of fielding outs. Not sure why you think that’s backtracking on my five year old statement.

You made that statement about nine year olds since you felt bad for disagreeing with Big Dummy lobbying for his daughter to make an all star team for five year olds. Basically, you told Big Dummy that he was just like Todd Marinovich's dad, and that his daughter would probably have the same fate as Todd due to their fathers' unhealthy coaching. It's ok; BC forgives you,I forgive you, and you can go back to watching cat videos now on YouTube.

You made that statement about nine year olds since you felt bad for disagreeing with Big Dummy lobbying for his daughter to make an all star team for five year olds. Basically, you told Big Dummy that he was just like Todd Marinovich's dad, and that his daughter would probably have the same fate as Todd due to their fathers' unhealthy coaching. It's ok; BC forgives you,I forgive you, and you can go back to watching cat videos now on YouTube.

Thanks. I hadn’t realized that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT