ADVERTISEMENT

Ken Griffey

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I wasn't aware of this until recently, but multiple sources (including the subject) have claimed that Ken Griffey was all set to play football and baseball at Marshall until he decided to sign with the Reds in 1969 after finding out that his girlfriend was pregnant. He almost assuredly would have been on the plane as a sophomore:

"A multisport high-school athlete in Donora, Pa., the all-state wide receiver was recruited for football, but grades were a problem. Marshall University was the only Division I college interested in him for baseball but wanted to talk him into playing football.

His cousin, Larry Nelson, was a Marshall linebacker and had steered the coaches toward Griffey.

Fortunately, Griffey said no. In 1970, the Marshall football team was killed in an airplane crash. If you think he was lucky, consider this: Nelson was kicked off the team just days before the crash.

Griffey signed with the Cincinnati Reds, who had drafted him in Round 29 in June 1969, and he batted .281 that year with Bradenton, Fla."

Forty nine years ago, a talented receiver from Donora High School was all set to sign a letter of intent to play for Marshall University. Football was Ken Griffey’s best sport followed by basketball, track and then baseball. But shortly before he was going to tell coach Rick Tolley that he was going to accept his scholarship offer he got a call from his girlfriend, Alberta, that changed the course of his life and baseball history.

Griffey learned he was going to become a father and chose a professional baseball career instead after getting drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in 1969. Ken Griffey Jr. was born in November of 1969 and one year later, on Nov. 14, 1970, 37 members of the Marshall football team died in a plane crash.

Almost a half century later, 33 miles from Donora on the campus of Saint Vincent College, Trey Griffey, grandson or Senior and son of Junior, is trying to hook on with the Steelers. And just like his grandfather he’s a receiver.

“He was going to go to Marshall to play football,” Trey said Sunday afternoon. “My grandmother called him and said she’s pregnant. He told Marshall he had to provide his the family so he went to baseball.”

I think there was a thread about this some time ago. It's amazing the coincidences that arose out of that crash.

Reactions: ohio herd
I think there was a thread about this some time ago. It's amazing the coincidences that arose out of that crash.
Here's another. Bobby Bowden was close to taking the HC job. I remember him talking about it on ESPN radio a few years back. He and his wife talked it over and he felt he had a good chance at getting the WVU gig which as we know he did. Had he jumped on his first chance to be a HC the landscape of College Football could be a whole lot different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT