ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State continue making a move into WV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshall didn't get "out recruited" by Charlotte. They recruited over German by signing a pair of three-star OT's in Sandley Jean-Felix and Chris Huhn.

They also signed Michael Selby, who was a four-year starter, and Cody Collins, who played for one of the more successful programs in Ohio (went 49-10 during his four years there). They were both recruited to play the interior.

Beyond played out, but hey let's talk about a D2 kid that wasn't even worthy of a FCS-level offer, much less D1.
Look, Josh you have already been told by someone on this message board that a former Sun Belt conference coach told him as a freshman in college the QB from Martinsburg was better then half of the starting QB's in the Sun Belt. btw, Doc took a linebacker from Winchester with no D1 offers(Albany and one other FCS school offered so you wrong).

Again, Doc's resume of recruiting in the Eastern Panhandle says all you need to know(lets see if it changes with Walker being gone).

This year, a linebacker from Musselman has a Navy offer and two kids from Martinsburg are low D1 so lets see if JC Price and Doc step up there game.

Look, Josh you have already been told by someone on this message board that a former Sun Belt conference coach told him as a freshman in college the QB from Martinsburg was better then half of the starting QB's in the Sun Belt. btw, Doc took a linebacker from Winchester with no D1 offers(Albany and one other FCS school offered so you wrong).

Again, Doc's resume of recruiting in the Eastern Panhandle says all you need to know(lets see if it changes with Walker being gone).

This year, a linebacker from Musselman has a Navy offer and two kids from Martinsburg are low D1 so lets see if JC Price and Doc step up there game.

What was the result of that "he said, she said?"

Nothing. Bagent is still playing for a D2 school. That's good for him. I hope he does well, but continuing on with this sad charade about how he's some can't miss talent is just ridiculous.

And Doc took a linebacker from Winchester that struggled with his test scores, therefore his recruiting struggled as well. On top of that, he committed to Marshall very early and basically shut his recruitment down.

That same linebacker was the defensive player of the year in the Class 4 Northwestern District and Region 4C and a first-team VHSL Class 4 all-state selection as a junior in 2017. In 2018, he battled injuries all season long but was still able to record 67 tackles, two sacks and an interception on his way to being named second-team all-state.

So how am I wrong?

Marshall didn't get "out recruited" by Charlotte. They recruited over German by signing a pair of three-star OT's in Sandley Jean-Felix and Chris Huhn.

They also signed Michael Selby, who was a four-year starter, and Cody Collins, who played for one of the more successful programs in Ohio (went 49-10 during his four years there). They were both recruited to play the interior.

Beyond played out, but hey let's talk about a D2 kid that wasn't even worthy of a FCS-level offer, much less D1.
This kid has a real shot at being a pro football player. I don't care who Marshall brought in that year fact is Doc pulled his offer(according to family, staff, and Phil) and is really not active in this area

This kid has a real shot at being a pro football player. I don't care who Marshall brought in that year fact is Doc pulled his offer(according to family, staff, and Phil) and is really not active in this area

What's it like being the way you are?

I can't even imagine.

Why would you recruit an area that hasn't really produced D1 talent all that much?

What's it like being the way you are?

I can't even imagine.

Why would you recruit an area that hasn't really produced D1 talent all that much?
Just an fyi, Martinsburg had two kids to start the season last year on WVU's two deep depth chart(not including Tavis lee). EP has two or three this year so we will see.

What was the result of that "he said, she said?"

Nothing. Bagent is still playing for a D2 school. That's good for him. I hope he does well, but continuing on with this sad charade about how he's some can't miss talent is just ridiculous.

And Doc took a linebacker from Winchester that struggled with his test scores, therefore his recruiting struggled as well. On top of that, he committed to Marshall very early and basically shut his recruitment down.

That same linebacker was the defensive player of the year in the Class 4 Northwestern District and Region 4C and a first-team VHSL Class 4 all-state selection as a junior in 2017. In 2018, he battled injuries all season long but was still able to record 67 tackles, two sacks and an interception on his way to being named second-team all-state.

So how am I wrong?
Look, this will be my last post because you don't care, but I saw this kid on film. At times he did not look good on film(if he can play at Marshall I know 5 other kids that could have played from the EP). Grantham struggled with grades as well and Marshall didn't bring him in as prop when they could have(and he was a much better player then the Sharando kid). Same goes for a kid name Travon Wesco that now plays for the Jets. Marshall could have brought him in as a prop because WVU had very little interest in him because Dana does not like TE's. Travon got pushed on Dana by local alums after two years at a juco.

Did you just see the weight room numbers of Bagent? Those work out warrior numbers will get him a shot at the next level and would image those numbers stack up very well with other D1 QB now(does any MU QB have those weight room numbers). As a coach, a recruiter has to go deep with a player and get a feel for if a kid has that "it" factor of winning, work ethic, and desire. If Doc or JC spent time with the Bagant kid you would know but they don't spend any time here. they pook their head in the door then leave. JC does not go deep with the coaches here. Offering him a PWO as a linebacker made people feel like no one was listening.

These are my thoughts. Now I you will have some smart comment because you cant just let anything go. You and 5150 can get a room but I don't plan on spending Father's Day weekend with someone that does not understand how we feel. We feel we have talent here that is not getting recruited.

So have a good weekend and understand this how some of the coaches feel here in the EP.

Doc offered him a PWO slot as a linebacker(which did not go over well). .

That's just really poor strategy by Marshall. You have a chance at a talented, in-state walk-on. You don't tell him what position he is going to play. You get him on board at whatever position it takes. You give him a few weeks to see how he competes. He's going to be a redshirt anyways, so it doesn't hurt to have him spend a few weeks competing at the position he wants that got him to come to Marshall.

Most kids can identify and acknowledge that they are not quite good enough to compete at a certain position when that time comes. If that were the case with Bagent, then great, move him to OLB. If he is able to compete at that position, you just earned yourself a free (walk-on) player who made your QB room better.

But telling him what he doesn't want to hear when you're in no rush to move him to a different position? That's absurd. He's going to redshirt. Give him the opportunity to compete. If he can't at QB, you still get yourself a free OLB.

That's just really poor strategy by Marshall. You have a chance at a talented, in-state walk-on. You don't tell him what position he is going to play. You get him on board at whatever position it takes. You give him a few weeks to see how he competes. He's going to be a redshirt anyways, so it doesn't hurt to have him spend a few weeks competing at the position he wants that got him to come to Marshall.

Most kids can identify and acknowledge that they are not quite good enough to compete at a certain position when that time comes. If that were the case with Bagent, then great, move him to OLB. If he is able to compete at that position, you just earned yourself a free (walk-on) player who made your QB room better.

But telling him what he doesn't want to hear when you're in no rush to move him to a different position? That's absurd. He's going to redshirt. Give him the opportunity to compete. If he can't at QB, you still get yourself a free OLB.
This kid is now huge in the weight room. I doubt WVU(or most P5 schools) has a QB putting up weight room numbers like Bagent. My guess is if JC and Doc really put the work in they could have put an academic package together that would have not cost MU a dime of football money.

Knowing the kid wants to play QB and the fact that he’s never going to do so for your team, you could also see that as the right thing to do.

Be honest with the kid, and say, “hey man, we think you’re a good athlete and we’d like to have you as part of our team, but if you really want to play QB, then you may be better off choosing elsewhere.”

Does that not also seem like an ethical approach?

This kid is now huge in the weight room. I doubt WVU(or most P5 schools) has a QB putting up weight room numbers like Bagent. My guess is if JC and Doc really put the work in they could have put an academic package together that would have not cost MU a dime of football money.

I doubt Rakeem Cato could bench 225 when he graduated from Marshall.

Lifting weights is a part of being a college quarterback but it’s a very small part.

As much as I hate to say it, Doc and staff haven't exactly torn it up regarding the QB position at Marshall. Other than Cato, we've been average to below average at best. The kid may have been smart not to come here - even if offered.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Knowing the kid wants to play QB and the fact that he’s never going to do so for your team, you could also see that as the right thing to do.

Be honest with the kid, and say, “hey man, we think you’re a good athlete and we’d like to have you as part of our team, but if you really want to play QB, then you may be better off choosing elsewhere.”

Does that not also seem like an ethical approach?
Your assuming he could never play QB at the Sun Belt C-USA level when someone on this forum spoke to a former Sun Belt coach who said the kid could start for half of those schools as a freshman in that conference.

Football recruiting has changed in the last 10 years. One is the number of new D1 schools in Marshall's hot recruiting areas. George Sourthern and George State have moved up. Appy State and ODU have moved up and schools like JMU and Liberty want to make that same move so they are recruiting at a higher level. The other issue to impact football recruiting is the transfer portal. Kids transferring can hurt depth of a roster. So this requires schools to look at player development. Recruit the under recruited kids and then develop them. Football is changing, and in order to have quality depth player development has become an important part of building a roster.

I think Bagant is a perfect example a kid that you could bring in on academic money and give him a shot at QB, and as been mentioned if it does not work out after a couple of years offer him a position change.

Martinsburg High had a kid about five years ago that was a walkon at WVU that ended up being MVP of the team his senior season. A walkon Olineman from Martinsburg was on the two depth chart last season as a center. Did JC recruit either of these kids?

So here we are for 2020. The EP has three kids that are low level D1 prospects. Blake Hartman from Musselman who has been offered by Navy, Anthony Smith from Martinsburg that has UConn looking at him, and the Kearney kid from Martinsburg. All three have good grades.

It sure is vexing that we are supposed to accept this unnamed sun belt coaches claim that this kid could start at half of the sun belt schools AS A FRESHMAN! it's obvious. yet, not one scholarship offer from any of those sunbelt schools nor offers from fcs. it's so obvious that everyone in D1 didn't offer and everyone in fcs didn't offer. got it.

It sure is vexing that we are supposed to accept this unnamed sun belt coaches claim that this kid could start at half of the sun belt schools AS A FRESHMAN! it's obvious. yet, not one scholarship offer from any of those sunbelt schools nor offers from fcs. it's so obvious that everyone in D1 didn't offer and everyone in fcs didn't offer. got it.

Easy ‘88! Don’t bring logic and facts into this argument filled with opinion and agenda.

Reactions: 19MU88
Same as no one offered the linebacker from Winchester. And, as you see above the guy was saying bring him as a walkon with academic money and give him a shot at QB. That really was the smart move.(btw, he did have fcs offer's).

Your assuming he could never play QB at the Sun Belt C-USA level when someone on this forum spoke to a former Sun Belt coach who said the kid could start for half of those schools as a freshman in that conference.

Football recruiting has changed in the last 10 years. One is the number of new D1 schools in Marshall's hot recruiting areas. George Sourthern and George State have moved up. Appy State and ODU have moved up and schools like JMU and Liberty want to make that same move so they are recruiting at a higher level. The other issue to impact football recruiting is the transfer portal. Kids transferring can hurt depth of a roster. So this requires schools to look at player development. Recruit the under recruited kids and then develop them. Football is changing, and in order to have quality depth player development has become an important part of building a roster.

I think Bagant is a perfect example a kid that you could bring in on academic money and give him a shot at QB, and as been mentioned if it does not work out after a couple of years offer him a position change.

Martinsburg High had a kid about five years ago that was a walkon at WVU that ended up being MVP of the team his senior season. A walkon Olineman from Martinsburg was on the two depth chart last season as a center. Did JC recruit either of these kids?

So here we are for 2020. The EP has three kids that are low level D1 prospects. Blake Hartman from Musselman who has been offered by Navy, Anthony Smith from Martinsburg that has UConn looking at him, and the Kearney kid from Martinsburg. All three have good grades.
It really will be interesting to see this kid develop in the next two years. I have heard when the NFL scouts were in last spring they were impressed.

Same as no one offered the linebacker from Winchester. And, as you see above the guy was saying bring him as a walkon with academic money and give him a shot at QB. That really was the smart move.(btw, he did have fcs offer's).

I’ve given you the reasons behind the lack of interest in Doleman. He was injured for the majority of his senior year and academics were an issue.

It really will be interesting to see this kid develop in the next two years. I have heard when the NFL scouts were in last spring they were impressed.

Interesting for who?

That kid is that last thing on anyone’s mind besides you and AllEers (who didn’t even spell the kid’s name correctly).

Did you hear that from the same people that told you Doc pulled “Phil’s offer?”

Interesting for who?

That kid is that last thing on anyone’s mind besides you and AllEers (who didn’t even spell the kid’s name correctly).

Did you hear that from the same people that told you Doc pulled “Phil’s offer?”
Interesting for all involved because we will find out really how good he is when he gets his shot at the NFL.

I’ve given you the reasons behind the lack of interest in Doleman. He was injured for the majority of his senior year and academics were an issue.
So was Grantham but Doc didn't offer him? So was the Hessen kid the year before who was WV State lineman of the year.

Do you get atta boys from the coaching staff for taking up for them 24/7. You know you have won the debate when the other person starts using grammar and spelling mistakes as a points of reference.

So was Grantham but Doc didn't offer him? So was the Hessen kid the year before who was WV State lineman of the year.

Grantham, although Marshall most certainly got involved with him, was never coming to Marshall.

Hesen, who ended up at Shepherd, has yet to to see a down of action.....and you carried on like he was going to set the world on fire.

You know you have won the debate when the other person starts using grammar and spelling mistakes as a points of reference.

It wasn’t a grammar mistake.

You said “when he gets a shot at the NFL.”

I simply corrected you and said “if.”

Grantham, although Marshall most certainly got involved with him, was never coming to Marshall.

Hesen, who ended up at Shepherd, has yet to to see a down of action.....and you carried on like he was going to set the world on fire.
Hey talking about instate kids. I understand the walkon RB from Tyler Co that Doc didn't offer(and Old Dominion did) is now 6-1, 210 and running a 4.55 forty.

Hey talking about instate kids. I understand the walkon RB from Tyler Co that Doc didn't offer(and Old Dominion did) is now 6-1, 210 and running a 4.55 forty.

Your sources are always so accurate.

Reactions: 19MU88
Oh, so Doc did offer now? Why did the press only talk about ODU?

I never said they offered.

I made a sarcastic remark about your supposed “sources” that clearly went way over your head.

It’s nice to know Doc’s recruiting lives rent free in your head though.

I never said they offered.

I made a sarcastic remark about your supposed “sources” that clearly went way over your head.

It’s nice to know Doc’s recruiting lives rent free in your head though.
Kerry Martin would be a nice pick up, but will be interesting to see if they can mend fences. WVU has 3 verbals on the dline with another in the wings so Lawton may be not be going to Morgantown.

Juwan Green and former Martinsburg High football player made the Atlanta Falcons practice squad this week. One of the last players cut in camp and the picked back up and Runs a low 4.4 and high 4.3 forty.

Juwan Green and former Martinsburg High football player made the Atlanta Falcons practice squad this week. One of the last players cut in camp and the picked back up and Runs a low 4.4 and high 4.3 forty.

And your point is?

And your point is?
Talent out of Martinsburg and the Panhandle and Doc wont recruit it...Over 10 yrs Doc has been head coach and recruited no one from the EP. You have always said no one is any good. Well, we now know for sure that is not true.

Talent out of Martinsburg and the Panhandle and Doc wont recruit it...Over 10 yrs Doc has been head coach and recruited no one from the EP. You have always said no one is any good. Well, we now know for sure that is not true.

I’ve never said “no one is any good” moron.

I’ve stated that your ignorance of recruiting shines through with your embarrassing posts.

I’m tired of proving you wrong. Don’t come back here until you have a legit argument.

Well, like the proverbial bad penny this thread has emerged again. Surprise! Surprise!

To the escapee from West Virginia's now closed and defunct Allegheny (sp.) Insane Asylum who is constantly beating the "Bagent for Heisman" and/or "Bagent for Super Bowl MVP" drums, please note: Marshall's redshirt freshman QB, who is from WEST VIRGINIA, after ONE game, now has exactly one more win as a FBS QB than Bagent! Also, please note that his back up is also an underclassman and an IN STATE PLAYER! So, as for now, Marshall and Doc Holliday are not all that concerned about MU's quarterback prospects!

As for Bagent, wish him nothing but the best if he and Shepherd are able to resume football later this year or in the Spring of 2021.

Doc ain’t the recruiting power in FL that he once was. Other schools have passed us and even in FL, the talent only goes so deep.
"Doc needs to stop bringing in these FL kids and recruit in state!! Look at all the guys we're losing!!!! oh god no!!!"

<Doc recruits in state and less out of FL>

"Well, Doc ain't as good as he once was..."

Reactions: goherd13
I’ve never said “no one is any good” moron.

I’ve stated that your ignorance of recruiting shines through with your embarrassing posts.

I’m tired of proving you wrong. Don’t come back here until you have a legit argument.
Just look at this thread you said they were all D2 guys. Well I recall a Hunt award winning lineman from Charleston that went to Fairmont and transferred back to Marshall and started, so just because they go D2 does not mean they cant play or start at Marshall. The Green kid would have been a perfect recruit for Doc. His dad Dean played football at Maryland. Juwan only played football his senior season but he was outstanding. He then went to Lackawanna then to Albany. So here is what I do know. If JC Price really has a good relationship with Dave Walker he rolls in their and says, "who you have this year I need to recruit". Well one of my former players I talked to you about a couple years ago is dong really well at Lack, you should take a look at him". Recruiting is about relationships! Green ends up at 1-AA Albany and now the Atlanta. So once again, when does Doc finally start to recruit the EP?

"Doc needs to stop bringing in these FL kids and recruit in state!! Look at all the guys we're losing!!!! oh god no!!!"

<Doc recruits in state and less out of FL>

"Well, Doc ain't as good as he once was..."
Blake Hartman is better then the linebacker Doc took from Winchester two years ago. Is now 6 ft, 225 lbs and returns kicks, plays QB, and starts at linebacker. Box squats 500 lbs(how many other seniors in high school can do this... not many). He is a 4.0 student. Blake plays at Musselman. A perfect kid to bring in and develop. He has already committed to a 1-AA school

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT