ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin to FAU

This is insane. Butch at FIU, Joey Freshwater at FAU. Not to mention Charlie Strong at USF... this does not bode well for recruiting south Florida.

That said, what's the over/under for the number of years he stays at FAU? I'm taking that he'll have already announced his next move by Dec. 1st of next year.

Lame:

Assistant Coach, USC. Massive NCAA violations.
Coach, Raiders. 4-12 (last) , 1-3, fired mid-season
Coach, Tennessee. Said a lot of stupid s***, 7-6, massive NCAA violations, abandoned his players after just one year to move down from the SEC to:
Coach, USC. 8-5, 10-2 with Carroll's recruits (massive NCAA violations), 7-6, 3-2, fired mid-season.
Assistant coach, Alabama. Bama was real good before he got there, and will be real good after he is gone.

And Alabama is not really a big south Florida recruiting program. Mostly recruits the main part of the South.

And would you want your son around Lame? Would you want to be around him?

And, he had the Houston job (much better job) but would not agree to their buyout. Which means that if Lame actually wins at FAU (no one ever really has) he is gone in a second.

If you are scared, get a dog.

Lame:

Coach, Tennessee. Said a lot of stupid s***, 7-6, massive NCAA violations, abandoned his players after just one year to move down from the SEC to:
Coach, USC. 8-5, 10-2 with Carroll's recruits (massive NCAA violations), 7-6, 3-2, fired mid-season.
Assistant coach, Alabama. Bama was real good before he got there, and will be real good after he is gone.

And Alabama is not really a big south Florida recruiting program. Mostly recruits the main part of the South.

And, he had the Houston job (much better job) but would not agree to their buyout. Which means that if Lame actually wins at FAU (no one ever really has) he is gone in a second.

vs

a guy that is 13-26 against FBS schools that finished the season with a winning record coaching a team in Huntington, WV.

i bet those Florida guys RUN from Kiffin all the way to Huntington...

Lame:

Not scared, but realistic. If you think South Florida kids aren't going to jump at the opportunity to play for him, you're crazy. I agree that he's gone in a second, but I also think that until he is, we're going to have a hard time out-recruiting him. All of those programs have excitement on their side. We have 1,000 miles away from their families, cold weather, and a losing record on ours.

Reactions: andy4theherd
on the bright side... maybe Kiffin, Strong, and Davis will get all those high star rated recruits we used to get and dismiss after 2 seasons. we will get lower rated players, but maybe they stick around for 4 years and actually amount to something...

on the bright side... maybe Kiffin, Strong, and Davis will get all those high star rated recruits we used to get and dismiss after 2 seasons. we will get lower rated players, but maybe they stick around for 4 years and actually amount to something...
And Marshall did pick up three JuCo's over the weekend.

Mike Hugenin quote on XM Full Ride said this morning "there is not good coaching in CUSA"
Lol he nailed it. Kiffin and Davis hires at least brings some national attention solely to see how well they do and how quick they leave

Someone either just gave away a bunch of money or FAU came up with a ton of money

Kiffin was making $1.4 mill at Bama , FAU was paying $600,000

This does not make sense , wonder what the over / under is for Kiffin still being there for the first game of next season...lol.

I'm confused as to why people still think Lane Kiffin is a good head coach. Did I miss something when he was at Oakland/Tennessee/USC?

Give me Alabama's talent on offense, Nick Saban keeping me in check and my years of experience running a spread attack on PlayStation and I'll win national championships, too.

Kiffin will sell his connections to THE league. Regardless of his coaching success, he is connected. I also will add, past failure is no guarantee the future will be the same. I can think of many who "failed" miserably multiple times and then went on to amazingly successful careers in various industries.

In this case, I imagine he learned a tremendous amount under Saban. I remember many of the same naysayers mocking Kifins chances of success going to Alabama. How did that play out?

Regardless, I am not suggesting any of these Florida programs going on to national championship opportunities. However, IMO, their performance and level of talent will most certainly lap us as soon as next season.

bill_belichick_browns.jpg

And to think if FAU got him for $600,000 well...think about it...lol.

Still does not make sense as to why you would leave 1.4 for 600K even if it is Kiffin. He must have a contract that will allow him to just walk off whenever he decides to , no buyouts , nothing, someone calls , he can just pack up and go.

He's getting $1M per year at Florida Atlantic not 600k.

Point was and regardless of the $1mill as you say , he took a job that originally paid $800K less just to once again become a head coach. Have to wonder why Houston did not grab him..$$ there initially would have made sense unless his past issues resurfaced.

But to take a look at a school ( FAU ) that was initially paying $800K less , guess he really wanted to become a head coach again regardless of the $$$.

Interesting that FAU ( if your 1mill is correct) would drop that much money considering this is CUSA and not exactly a conference coaches would die for to coach in.
---------------------------------------------------------
Background :

Hired as the coach of the Oakland Raiders in 2007 after six seasons on the staff at Southern California. He was fired four games into the 2008 after posting a 5-15 record.

Took the Tennessee job in 2009 as the replacement for Phillip Fulmer. He went 7-6 in his one controversial season with included a public spat with Urban Meyer and ended with the program being put on probation due to NCAA violations.

Pete Carroll's departure from Southern California created an opportunity for Kiffin to return to the Trojans. Kiffin helped the school navigate difficult NCAA sanctions and raised expectations with a 10-2 record while the team was in probation in 2011. However, he was fired midway through the 2013 season after an embarrassing loss to Arizona State.

After being hired by Nick Saban, Kiffin has successfully rehabilitated his image with tremendous success as Alabama's offensive coordinator the last three seasons, including helping the Crimson Tide win a national title in 2015.

---------------------------------

Like I said , must have really wanted to be the head man again....but then with all the hiring and firing and the $$$ at Bama - I seriously doubt $$$ and his bankbook have anything to do with it. More so about getting himself back in the picture for a major program down the line,after all he is only 41.

Funny for a conference many on here feel is sub worthy of Marshall, CUSA has just signed 2 strong names as HCs.

I'd take Kiffin and Davis over the "genius" at the hole.

Consider Kiffin has a history of bad moves, firings, etc behind him and now he is getting 1M to coach at a school that has a brand new stadium, but is in a town that is so affluent they don't care about local college football "YET"...it's crazy how college football has evolved.

When I went to the Boca bowl and I saw the money and the commitment I told several people FAU is a sleeping giant for the right hire.

It will be interesting to see how he does. He won't hurt Docs recruiting, it's built on years of trust.

It will be interesting to see how he does. He won't hurt Docs recruiting, it's built on years of trust.

Years of trust? Would be interested in reading your definition of the word "trust" as well as examples of this so called trust that Holliday allegedly exhibits.

We have 1,000 miles

And that is our biggest advantage. Half of eastern football is based, to one degree or another, on getting the SEC/ACC culls out of south Florida, and half of the SEC and ACC is based on getting Florida and Florida State's culls. This has been Doc's main skill and long before he got here.

FAU and FIU are based on "hey, if we could keep some of these good players at home, then ..." So is Rutgers. It just doesn't work. GTFO of cesspool parts of the country is a smart move. For black people, south Florida is a cesspool. And the blunt fact is NOBODY cares about FIU / FAU athletics. Nobody.

Lame will talk his smack, act like a 19 year old, and lose. It is who he is and who he always will be.

Years of trust? Would be interested in reading your definition of the word "trust" as well as examples of this so called trust that Holliday allegedly exhibits.
I once talked to an assistant at St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Ft. Lauderdale, one of Florida's most successful programs. He told me that Doc was one of the best liked and most trusted coaches that visited there. He said that Doc never promised the kids anymore than a chance to play and a college degree. He said he was a straight shooter and could be trusted and believed.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I'm confused as to why people still think Lane Kiffin is a good head coach. Did I miss something when he was at Oakland/Tennessee/USC?

Give me Alabama's talent on offense, Nick Saban keeping me in check and my years of experience running a spread attack on PlayStation and I'll win national championships, too.

Until you really saw how good big time SEC football is across the board and the talent level even outside of Alabama. The coaching there in that league is spectacular. You can tell a difference. They are well oiled machines. It is the closest thing I have seen to NFL game management, play calling, adjustments, and preparation. There no Bill Legg's or Doc Hollidays in that league.

As for Kiffin, you people know his name. He and Butch Davis will ring up the local talent down there. The 18 year old kid knows who he is.

As a guy on the radio said the other day if you are outside of Florida and going to recruit good luck.

You have Jimbo Fisher, U of Florida, Charlie Strong at USF, Butch Davis, and now Kiffin. Throw UCF into the mix and 100 other schools, the SEC, and good luck.

You are picking up table scraps at that point.

Think about this FAU just hired the offensive coordinator from Alabama who could have stayed or went to LSU to make more money. FIU picked up Butch Davis.

Now thing about the way we hire coaches. We better step up because we are really behind the 8 ball.

And that is our biggest advantage. Half of eastern football is based, to one degree or another, on getting the SEC/ACC culls out of south Florida, and half of the SEC and ACC is based on getting Florida and Florida State's culls. This has been Doc's main skill and long before he got here.

FAU and FIU are based on "hey, if we could keep some of these good players at home, then ..." So is Rutgers. It just doesn't work. GTFO of cesspool parts of the country is a smart move. For black people, south Florida is a cesspool. And the blunt fact is NOBODY cares about FIU / FAU athletics. Nobody.

Lame will talk his smack, act like a 19 year old, and lose. It is who he is and who he always will be.

Doc's recruiting ability is way over stated. Just my opinion.

Reactions: anon_0314hp8ssprnn
If you are scared, get a dog. I ain't scared.

Butch Davis? Why would any Miami kid know who he is. He left in 2000, when they were 2. And what is he selling? Play before nobody at home and in away games at random schools across three time zones in place most have never heard of.

Lame? Yeah, these kids probably know Lame. As a 42 year old who acts like a teenager, and who left his players after one year and then failed at USC, not only in wins and losses, but could not handle himself as an adult under presure. And then a guy who Saban yelled at and treated like a child. And what is he selling? Same as FIU, except the CERTAIN knowledge that this buyout free deal for less than he could have made being yelled at by Saban, is G O N E as soon as he puts together even a halfway good season (if Lame can get FAU to 8-4, he will be the next hot thing again).

Strong? Good coach because he was a great Florida recuriter. Which works at Louisville. Did not work at Texas, which does not recruit Florida and should be in a position to more select than recruit anyway. He will do well at South Florida, but, bluntly, we are not really looking at the same kids. They are in this THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! you all worship.

Doc recruited Florida for Fat Donnie, who (despite his huge limitations as a x&o coach) had a solid career, even going "undefeated" (WVU defination, not the real one) twice, and repeated that at NC State and won it all at Florida.

Yeah, there will be kids from south Florida that go elsewhere. It is a target rich environment, and Doc will get his share, as will 60 other I-A schools. The least of my worries is Find Another University and Little Havana Tech.

If you are scared, get a dog. I ain't scared.

Butch Davis? Why would any Miami kid know who he is. He left in 2000, when they were 2. And what is he selling? Play before nobody at home and in away games at random schools across three time zones in place most have never heard of.

Lame? Yeah, these kids probably know Lame. As a 42 year old who acts like a teenager, and who left his players after one year and then failed at USC, not only in wins and losses, but could not handle himself as an adult under presure. And then a guy who Saban yelled at and treated like a child. And what is he selling? Same as FIU, except the CERTAIN knowledge that this buyout free deal for less than he could have made being yelled at by Saban, is G O N E as soon as he puts together even a halfway good season (if Lame can get FAU to 8-4, he will be the next hot thing again).

Strong? Good coach because he was a great Florida recuriter. Which works at Louisville. Did not work at Texas, which does not recruit Florida and should be in a position to more select than recruit anyway. He will do well at South Florida, but, bluntly, we are not really looking at the same kids. They are in this THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! you all worship.

Doc recruited Florida for Fat Donnie, who (despite his huge limitations as a x&o coach) had a solid career, even going "undefeated" (WVU defination, not the real one) twice, and repeated that at NC State and won it all at Florida.

Yeah, there will be kids from south Florida that go elsewhere. It is a target rich environment, and Doc will get his share, as will 60 other I-A schools. The least of my worries is Find Another University and Little Havana Tech.

Someone really needs to tell us what kind of kids Doc is actually getting/recruiting now. We have nothing. We are getting scraps even before all of these "name" coaches come calling. For Christ sakes.......Doc is scrounging around trying to land JUCOs.....because we have nothing.

Saban would yell at his mother that way. Winning coaches yell....a lot. Not stand around on the sidelines with a headset they never speak into. You better worry about FAU and Little Havana.......We wont be beating them.

Boy, Lame sure is lighting it up. Signed the 2015 Florida Mr. Football.

Who was kicked out of Florida State (think of what others have done and NOT gotten kicked out of that august institution) for punching an woman who called him a bad name. In a bar. After hours. Below the legal drinking age.

I get what FIU and FAU are doing. They have tried this football thing for about 20 years. Despite HUGE enrollments and therefore huge alumni numbers, and despite being in the 10th largest conglomeration of people in the country, no one cares. The students don't care, the alumni don't care, and certainly no one in the broader south Florida community cares. Both programs are jokes. So they are going "all in". One last shot. Huge coach hires. And, probably, both coaches will either fail (certainly Lame will) or will have a tiny amount of success and GTFO. Whichever happens, what is certain is the continued disinterest in both programs by all concerned. The next step is to give up, which will happen.

I'm noticing a racist bent on multiple threads today.

Andy, this is NOT directed your way.

Boy, Lame sure is lighting it up. Signed the 2015 Florida Mr. Football.

Who was kicked out of Florida State (think of what others have done and NOT gotten kicked out of that august institution) for punching an woman who called him a bad name. In a bar. After hours. Below the legal drinking age.

HMMMMM.......I seem to remember a program that accepted a player who was essentially booted from 2 programs (ND & FSU) for various legal issues and character flaws.......

This already blows up one of Sam's assertions. So much for the self centered, greedy, cares only about himself Lane.

If all he cared about was his exit, he wouldn't be doing this.

Really? So a guy with millions is going to donate an unspecified amount of money to a scholarship fund if somebody will actually come to game. Note that the most recent game had an ANNOUNCED attendance of 6000. And probably a fifth of that in reality. Lame has to recruit, and playing before no one sucks.

Has nothing to do with the fact that in the unlikely event that Lame actually has success there, he is gone.

You do know he named his son Knox because of his deep commitment to Tennessee, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT