ADVERTISEMENT

M.U. Baseball Stadium/Pool.

Jul 12, 2018
I see where FINALLY, The Herd is getting a baseball park. For one, I am thrilled for them. On the other hand, the location is suspect to me. The old Holland Suco\ BASF property may be in close proximity to the campus, however, it's in an area where when there's a significant amount of rain in a short period of time, there is flooding. Is this a way to force the cities hand to repair/update the storm water drainage system in that area? If so, I say: "Go Herd"!

I have so much in common with this story. I am finally going to get my multi million dollar house to retire in. The common parts are I do not own the property where it will be built, and I do not have the funding secured to pay for it.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Marshall University Baseball Stadium/Gullickson Hall
Architectural Firms bids Copleted September 6th!!!!!
October 2018, the announcement of the winning Architectural Firm.
July 2019, Design Approval
August 2019, Taking bids for construction
September 2019, Construction Starts!!
Completion February 2021!!!!

Herd Fans We Are Getting A
NEW BASEBALL STADIUM!!!!

Amazing. I don't understand how so many people complain about something that could provide an economic impact on our city are so negative.
I get it that you may not like baseball. But I absolutely would never go to a soccer game, but soccer facilities in the area have brought in thousands of people to the tri state every summer. It puts people in hotel rooms and in restaurants. That all contributes to out tax coffers. That is positive. Just as this is positive, We complain that there is nothing in the area. That people have to move to Charlotte to get jobs. Gosh folks, any growth helps in creating jobs and opportunities for or high school and college graduates. Accept it and be glad in it.

I'll believe it when I'm sitting in my box seat, at the ballpark, watching the first pitch.

This park needs to be built with just Marshall Baseball in mind. Don't worry about trying to attract a minor league team because you cant guarantee that a MLB will be interested in placing a team in Huntington. The area most likely can't support a minor League team anyway.

I just want the damned thing to be built correctly with some foresight. No troughs for urinals. Adequate concessions. Some semblance of “skyboxes”, great sight lines. You know. Cool shit.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Amazing. I don't understand how so many people complain about something that could provide an economic impact on our city are so negative.
I get it that you may not like baseball. But I absolutely would never go to a soccer game, but soccer facilities in the area have brought in thousands of people to the tri state every summer. It puts people in hotel rooms and in restaurants. That all contributes to out tax coffers. That is positive. Just as this is positive, We complain that there is nothing in the area. That people have to move to Charlotte to get jobs. Gosh folks, any growth helps in creating jobs and opportunities for or high school and college graduates. Accept it and be glad in it.
I had no plan to be negative. I'm quite thrilled the ball park is coming. I am just concerned about the location with all the flooding that happens in that area when it rains, Believe me, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I read about the plans for the new field. It's been needed since Coach Cook was here. I'm not ignorant to the fact it will have an economic impact on the area. That's all part of the plan. I just don't want to have to paddle to my car if there is a rain delay/out some day. Thank you for judging me.

I hope that Hamrick and the athletic department goes with a different ballpark design in terms of the seating layout. There needs to be more seats behind home plate, between the dugouts, and fewer down the foul lines. Spend a little more to build a grandstand that is say 20 rows high and features a roof or short overhang. The press box and a handful of suites can be built at the top of the grandstand.

Maybe something similar in design to the old ballpark in Augusta Georgia. http://www.digitalballparks.com/SALLY/Augusta_640_20.html

Don’t believe it until the first pitch is thrown

Covers it completely.

Notice what was missing?

The financing.

MH, who is a great AD, has a picture of a ballpark he would like to built and some "brownfield" land he would like to build it upon.

Read Coach Cook's comments closely. He got similar promises.

For 30 years.

Covers it completely.

Notice what was missing?

The financing.

MH, who is a great AD, has a picture of a ballpark he would like to built and some "brownfield" land he would like to build it upon.

Read Coach Cook's comments closely. He got similar promises.

For 30 years.
I hear the money is not a problem

Reactions: chuck1069

Then surely you can ask whoever you are "hearing" this from for a link.

This, boys and girls, is just a "artists conception" for the next fundraiser. And, rather than step up, we "hear" that some unnamed others will take care of it.

Believe what you see.

This, boys and girls, is just a "artists conception" for the next fundraiser. And, rather than step up, we "hear" that some unnamed others will take care of it.

Believe what you see.

The IPF will NEVER be built. I remember when it was announced during the Pruett era at one of the games. Then it was squashed by the incoming president. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe it was ever built.

I had no plan to be negative. I'm quite thrilled the ball park is coming. I am just concerned about the location with all the flooding that happens in that area when it rains, Believe me, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I read about the plans for the new field. It's been needed since Coach Cook was here. I'm not ignorant to the fact it will have an economic impact on the area. That's all part of the plan. I just don't want to have to paddle to my car if there is a rain delay/out some day. Thank you for judging me.
I was NOT speaking of you

f

Believe what you see.
I was town in earlier this year and was told by someone in the AD's office and a group of former players that it will happen this time(and was told they have money). The one thing that kinda makes this different is the improvements to the pool/Gullickson Hall is included. Maybe im wrong but lots of people seems for sure it will take place

f

I was town in earlier this year and was told by someone in the AD's office and a group of former players that it will happen this time(and was told they have money). The one thing that kinda makes this different is the improvements to the pool/Gullickson Hall is included. Maybe im wrong but lots of people seems for sure it will take place
Correct. They would NOT announce it if the money weren't there. As I said above, Sutherland told us that at basketball practice 2 months ago. He told us we would get the official announcement during homecoming week.

Eers6, for your edification, at Marshall MONEY is ALWAYS a problem; always HAS been, always Will be. Whether it is a sports need, an academic facility or program, or something that improves the quality of student life in general, MONEY is a problem. MU does not have a checkbook full of blank checks to write like the so called FlagSh#t school up in the Hole!!!

Correct. They would NOT announce it if the money weren't there. As I said above, Sutherland told us that at basketball practice 2 months ago. He told us we would get the official announcement during homecoming week.

So Herdmeister, as I have learned you have been a very reliable and accurate source of info, news, etc., on many matters pertaining to MU sports, and the school in general.

Thus, am I safe in assuming that I and the other 3000 plus Big Green members will NOT have to worry about any snail mail, e-mail, and other communications from Mike Hamrick, Sutherland, President Gilbert, etc., etc., ASKING, PLEADING, CAJOLING, BEGGING, etc., for funds, contributions, for this project since, apparently, the money "IS THERE"?

To use a term that has for years been thrown around in Huntington regarding matters, issues, projects at MU, in describing a MU baseball facility: its a "DONE DEAL"!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: The Real SamC
We have known about this since spring. Baseball, basketball, and women’s tennis are all involved in this. There’s a lot to the story, but it’s my understanding that money is not an issue.

We have known about this since spring. Baseball, basketball, and women’s tennis are all involved in this. There’s a lot to the story, but it’s my understanding that money is not an issue.
I’m impressed because on the surface all that construction would carry a $50 mil price tag.

I'll believe it when I'm sitting in my box seat, at the ballpark, watching the first pitch.

This park needs to be built with just Marshall Baseball in mind. Don't worry about trying to attract a minor league team because you cant guarantee that a MLB will be interested in placing a team in Huntington. The area most likely can't support a minor League team anyway.

Actually, the Cubs were supported well. The reason they folded was poor management and fund embezzlement by Ed Propetti (?). Attempts after were futile as the brand was damaged and product on the field very poor. A short season team would do well again. jmo.

that seems to be a little high to me. I don't know but what do base that estimate on?
Power Park I think was over $20 mil. The one up north about the same. Most of these basketball practice facilities are around $20 to $25 mil. Plus tennis and now swimming. Seems to me that would require some construction money.

Power Park I think was over $20 mil. The one up north about the same. Most of these basketball practice facilities are around $20 to $25 mil. Plus tennis and now swimming. Seems to me that would require some construction money.
Keep in mind, we aren't building a basketball practice facility. Just remodeling Gullickson and adding new coaches offices.

Eers6, for your edification, at Marshall MONEY is ALWAYS a problem; always HAS been, always Will be. Whether it is a sports need, an academic facility or program, or something that improves the quality of student life in general, MONEY is a problem. MU does not have a checkbook full of blank checks to write like the so called FlagSh#t school up in the Hole!!!
Money is a not a problem this time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT