ADVERTISEMENT

MAC tourney

HerdIrishfan

Gold Buffalo
Jan 30, 2010
MAC championship on ESPN2 now. This tournament is being held in Myrtle Beach while ours is in Birmingham, Alabama. The attendance for this game looks packed while the CUSA tournament games had nobody there other than the UAB game. Is it safe to say that the MAC has passed Conference USA in hoops?

Reactions: BT4373
The MAC has had its tourney in Cleveland for years, good location given their geography and would be an easy drive for both Akron & Buffalo folks.

It wasn't in myrtle beach, myrtle beach vacations bureau is a sponsor.

Oh my bad. I totally thought it was in Myrtle beach with all the Myrtle Beach logos and such. I guess it's just advertising for Myrtle Beach. Weird. My mistake though.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loan's Arena do an amazing job hosting the MAC tournament. For all the conferences shortcomings over the years the basketball tournament has worked out really well. Of course it doesn't hurt that Akron, Kent, Buffalo and Ohio have been regulars in the finals. They curtain off the upper arena which reduces capacity to around 11,500 which makes it a perfect size. However when they have gotten an Akron vs Ohio and Akron vs Kent match ups they have actually raised the curtain on one half of the upper arena at the Q for over flow.

Watching tonight's game I was actually a little disappointed with Buffalo's turnout. Ohio had a big crowd last night and had we been able to advance to face Akron tonight the lower bowl would have been packed. But we lost. Oh well.

Any chance Ohio and Marshall get paired in CIT next week?

If Marshall does have a change of heart about those tourneys I wouldn't mind seeing a Marshall-Ohio matchup. I'd go to the Cam to watch that.

Think it's a mistake not to play. We can get a home game. Would be good for the program and fans.
Can't understand why he doesn't want to play.

I don't understand either. We have a young team that would really benefit by additional tournament experience. I'd have been all over extra games this year.

I just thought it would be a lot of fun. The teams a grown a bunch since early season meeting and I hate to see the season end.

WHY should Marshall pay $$$$$ to Play? You earn your way to the Big Dance or NIT....This year...our guys fell a little short. Next year will be different.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: 31Herd55
They would make a bit of money to play a home game. Reported fee for CBI has been said to be around 38K.
At $15 a ticket, you would only need 2534 to break even on attendance.

Correct me if I'm am wrong but I am guessing Marshall buys home games now so technically it's no different. When Ohio has a team come to Athens and it's not a home and home aren't they technically paying to play? Does the home team pay to host or do both teams pay?

They would make a bit of money to play a home game. Reported fee for CBI has been said to be around 38K.
At $15 a ticket, you would only need 2534 to break even on attendance.
In Mullens you had to earn your right to play, I hope DD will stick to his guns on this. NCAA or NIT is fine, otherwise stay home.

With the liberalization of the off-season work-out and preparation rules, MU does not need the CBI, CIT, or Vegas16 to get more practice/reps -- that will happen in the off-season.

More importantly, the tough minutes logged (esp. down the stretch) have become a concern, and the thought seems to be there is no need to risk injuries on tired bodies for the lesser tournaments (the NCAA and the NIT are obviously different animals and change the risk/reward measures).

Let's congratulate the team on a fun ride, let them recuperate from a furious three months of excitement, let the coaches finish whatever is left of recruiting for this or other classes, and re-group in the fall for what will be (unquestionably) a highly anticipated fall/winter for Herd bball (and don't forget about the Lady Herd, either - although they are in-line for an WNIT bid).

Reactions: andy4theherd
Considering we haven't been to the dance in 30 years and the NIT once in 28 or so, that's quite a stance. We may be waiting a while more.

And last time I looked, every D1 team in the country plays the same number of games over the course of a season. We aren't the only school that has tired players.

Considering we haven't been to the dance in 30 years and the NIT once in 28 or so, that's quite a stance. We may be waiting a while more.

And last time I looked, every D1 team in the country plays the same number of games over the course of a season. We aren't the only school that has tired players.

The starting five logged at least 866 minutes this season, with two starters exceeding 1000 minutes (and the only reason Elmore missed that threshold was because he sat out the first 8 games); Burks played almost 750 minutes. The concern seems valid. And, I believe the coach has the player's well-being at heart.

I bet every player on the team would like to keep playing. Just a hunch.

The starting five logged at least 866 minutes this season, with two starters exceeding 1000 minutes (and the only reason Elmore missed that threshold was because he sat out the first 8 games); Burks played almost 750 minutes. The concern seems valid. And, I believe the coach has the player's well-being at heart.

Don't really have strong feelings one way or another. However, let's say we bought a game at home in CBI/CIT, played another mid major, say a Tennessee State or Tech, or Kent State, from OVC or MAC.
Drew crowd in 5000-6000 range. Herd had a good game, got ahead early, and maintained a lead. Then it would make sense to give some meaningful GAME EXPERIENCE to players like Penava, Dozic, Kilgore, instead of "mop up" time. Would be just as beneficial in many respects as spring workouts to some of our younger players.

Then there is the "revenue" issue. If MU could manage a home game or two, and draw reasonable crowds, there is then the possibility of making a modest income for the athletic department. One of Hamrick's responsibility is raising revenue and he needs to explore all avenues and potential sources, instead of just asking the same static number of Big Green members year after year to "dig deeper", give ten per cent more, etc., etc.

Being reported that D'Antoni has said Marshall won't play in the "pay to play" tournaments this year.

First, let me say I have no inside knowledge on this subject but I offer this theory for conversation purposes only.

Did you consider than Dan is sending a message to his players? We want to play for a championship. We're not interested in playing for a participation trophy. Maybe he sensed the wrong attitude from some of the players in the CUSA tournament and this is his way of setting their collective attitudes straight going into the off season.

Reactions: -Olen-
Here is my take. We should ALWAYS play post season. In college bb there are something like 324 teams Only around 136 teams play in the post season, so to be in a "pay to play" tourney is no worse than the pizza bowl where we end up paying or breaking even. I say the game exp is priceless. Having said that, I like DD and respect his decision.

There's also the rub of quitting while you're ahead - Marshall has a winning record now, which we could lose if we played in a tournament and lost the first game.

Here is my take. We should ALWAYS play post season. In college bb there are something like 324 teams Only around 136 teams play in the post season, so to be in a "pay to play" tourney is no worse than the pizza bowl where we end up paying or breaking even. I say the game exp is priceless. Having said that, I like DD and respect his decision.

There are actually 351 teams claiming to play Division 1 basketball.

MAC championship on ESPN2 now. This tournament is being held in Myrtle Beach while ours is in Birmingham, Alabama. The attendance for this game looks packed while the CUSA tournament games had nobody there other than the UAB game. Is it safe to say that the MAC has passed Conference USA in hoops?

I'm sure if UAB would of made it to the Championship the CUSA Championship game would of looked packed too.

I'm sure if UAB would of made it to the Championship the CUSA Championship game would of looked packed too.

And that is the issue with the far flung CUSA. Really all the conference can do is sell the tournament to a team that thinks it is going to have a good year. If it does get to the final, it is not fair (particularly if it did not win the regular season) and if it does not the place is empty. CUSA has never been able to do a real tournament. Nashville seems central.

That aside, anybody think Huntington or Charleston could take a shot at it?

And that is the issue with the far flung CUSA. Really all the conference can do is sell the tournament to a team that thinks it is going to have a good year. If it does get to the final, it is not fair (particularly if it did not win the regular season) and if it does not the place is empty. CUSA has never been able to do a real tournament. Nashville seems central.

That aside, anybody think Huntington or Charleston could take a shot at it?

Agreed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT