ADVERTISEMENT

Marketing idea

banker6796

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 15, 2007
we're stuck in CUSA, which is arguably the worst FBS conference, not much we can do about that. I was thinking about how we were able to be so much better in 2013 thru 2015 than we are now and it came down to the fact that we had better players. Why did we have better players? Well, when those players were recruited they were coming to play in CUSA 2.0, which was arguably the best conference outside of the then "AQ" conferences. So we had a bunch of CUSA 2.0 players going against a bunch of Sunbelt and FCS players.

Schools tend to recruit to a level of their conference. So the old belt and FCS schools are getting better players than they did 7-8 years ago and we are getting lesser players (at least when you look at the ones that are qualified coming in). We've lost our talent advantage and that's going to be the reality going forward.

So,what is an opportunity to alter that? Well, we are stuck in CUSA, but we don't have to promote it. I would de-emphasize CUSA logos as much as I could get away with under conference guidelines. I wouldn't talk CUSA on the recruiting trail, I would talk OOC. When recruits ask about the conference I would say it's where we play but certainly not who we are. I would work on branding Marshall as Marshall, not as Marshall, member of CUSA. Our conference affiliation adds no value, so don't spend money on it.

I know this probably means nothing, just thinking out loud.

we're stuck in CUSA, which is arguably the worst FBS conference, not much we can do about that. I was thinking about how we were able to be so much better in 2013 thru 2015 than we are now and it came down to the fact that we had better players. Why did we have better players? Well, when those players were recruited they were coming to play in CUSA 2.0, which was arguably the best conference outside of the then "AQ" conferences. So we had a bunch of CUSA 2.0 players going against a bunch of Sunbelt and FCS players.

Schools tend to recruit to a level of their conference. So the old belt and FCS schools are getting better players than they did 7-8 years ago and we are getting lesser players (at least when you look at the ones that are qualified coming in). We've lost our talent advantage and that's going to be the reality going forward.

So,what is an opportunity to alter that? Well, we are stuck in CUSA, but we don't have to promote it. I would de-emphasize CUSA logos as much as I could get away with under conference guidelines. I wouldn't talk CUSA on the recruiting trail, I would talk OOC. When recruits ask about the conference I would say it's where we play but certainly not who we are. I would work on branding Marshall as Marshall, not as Marshall, member of CUSA. Our conference affiliation adds no value, so don't spend money on it.

I know this probably means nothing, just thinking out loud.

I'm pretty sure plenty of coaches in the MAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt do this.
For lots of players in the G5 its more about individual performances than conference association. I can see many scouts just knowing the kind of training programs most of the top P5's do with established coaches.
The lower levels with the revolving HC door? Not so much.

I'm sure we're hyping our outstanding OOC schedule in the coming years.

For some reason, I also think now that the principle work on the baseball field and upgrades for Basketball are planned, that more attention will return to football. While I like and respect the whole staff at the BG, I think too much has been left up to them in the last several years. Hamrick must reengage with us regular folks and promote our ability to get good schedules for football, create an ambiance at the games that makes attending these games a "can't miss" day in the city.

I'm sure we're hyping our outstanding OOC schedule in the coming years.

For some reason, I also think now that the principle work on the baseball field and upgrades for Basketball are planned, that more attention will return to football. While I like and respect the whole staff at the BG, I think too much has been left up to them in the last several years. Hamrick must reengage with us regular folks and promote our ability to get good schedules for football, create an ambiance at the games that makes attending these games a "can't miss" day in the city.

game day needs a serious overhaul, music that’s played it either severely dated or trash, (I’m not talking about the classics that rarely get played, old tired hip hop and rap that’s irrelevant) and food options are still just mediocre.

fan interaction, the cheers, you name it, it needs tweaked or revamped

Unfortunately, you can't market away reality. You can hope your target is so ignorant that they aren't aware of reality, but most people - even really dumb people - know the sky is blue. (They might disagree on the shape of the Earth, but that's something else.)

If you accept an offer at a C-USA school, you are a C-USA athlete, and you know what that means about your ranking in the world of college athletes. There are kids who could be dominant in C-USA who choose to be backups and special teams players at SEC schools because that status is more appealing.

There was definitely a rub when we joined C-USA 2.0, and a decline since it fell apart.

I think that can help if you are playing at least 2 P5 schools every year. However, currently we will only have played 1 if you count this season and next. Even though our OOC this year and next is very challenging not playing P5's hurts us if that is our angle IMO.

You have to work with what you have, you can't "not try", regardless of which conference you're in, or which kids you recruit. The marketing is about creating fans and increasing attendance; use and promote what you have to those who will be interested. Sure OK that some of you may want the past back, but that is why it is called the "past". Build a future for the future, not to replicate the past.

What hurts is the last several times we’ve had a chance to get a marquee OOC win that was hyped up, we’ve lost. Louisville in ‘16, NC State and VT last year, Boise & Cincy this year, etc. A win like that will go a long way in bringing back the fringe fans or the ones that are disinterested. Boise and Pitt at home next year are super essential.

Maybe just get out of this conference?
Or
Make our game days the best in the terrible conference we are in?
I mean you talk about how bad our conference is (and you’re not wrong), but we are mediocre in our conference. Nothing about our Athletic program is “top notch” in terms of the conference. Outside of soccer I guess.

Doc is already doing this, which is why he is avoiding playing in the cusa conference championship at all cost.

source.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT