ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall BASEBALL

Umm, I'm not really the one to be pointing this out, but:

WVU baseball park - located in a shopping center across the river in another town from the 'hole proper.
WVU basketball and other indoor sports, plus soccer - located on what can only be called an edge of its secondary campus, more than a mile from the nearest dorm, not on the PRT line that connects its spread out twin campus mess, beyond walking distance from all but a couple of campus buildings.
WVU women's soccer practice field - separate facility from stadium, on US 19 as you enter town, unconnected to any other state property, also not actually in the 'hole proper.
WVU football, stadium and (smallish) IPF - located between the med school and the law school (neither of which any of the football players would be attending) which are both really off the undergraduate campuses, and which is not on the PRT line.

I don't know if any of that is true but I do know several colleges who have practice facilities that require a vehicle to get there.

I don't know if any of that is true ....

Rifle/YAGS/TeenWolf:

In your "TeenWolf" pseudonym, your backstory is you are a WVU fan who came to the board (actually just registered) to talk about the basketball game.

Soooooooooo, you are a WVU fan who does not know where Mountaineer Field or the giantJello mold are located?

Welcome to "ignore". Now go make up another name. Maybe you can say you are 14th in line to the defunct Latvian throne in this one. It is just as believable as claiming to be a football letterman.

Rifle/YAGS/TeenWolf:

In your "TeenWolf" pseudonym, your backstory is you are a WVU fan who came to the board (actually just registered) to talk about the basketball game.

Soooooooooo, you are a WVU fan who does not know where Mountaineer Field or the giantJello mold are located?

Welcome to "ignore". Now go make up another name. Maybe you can say you are 14th in line to the defunct Latvian throne in this one. It is just as believable as claiming to be a football letterman.

"WVU baseball park - located in a shopping center across the river in another town from the 'hole proper."

Hmmmm...

Rifle/YAGS/TeenWolf:

Also the PRT drops a couple blocks from the soccer stadium.. sooooo a couple blocks isn't TOO bad of a walk.

Rifle/YAGS/TeenWolf:

You're the laughingstock of the entire board. Now, your theory is that teenwolf is actually me. Brilliant analysis, especially since that would mean that I was arguing against myself in this thread, moron.

It would be nice to see us get a baseball field near the campus. For now having Charleston available is a nice option. Has anyone ever suggested a field near the new soccer field?

We know that in inclement weather, the Herd baseball team practices in the
Cline indoor facility.

Now, when weather permits, where are outdoor practices held? I would imagine that they are at the same place where the Herd plays some home games: the YMCA field out on Rt. 2 near the Ohio River.

Don't know for sure, but I imagine the trip from campus is farther and longer to this Ohio River site on Rt. 2 than one to Barboursville on I-64. Surely it is farther and longer time wise than the trip out to the old University Heights location on Route 60.

That leads to this: does MU, the athletic department, provide transportation for the players to the Y facility for practice sessions? Or are the players responsible, financially and otherwise, for getting to and from the Y for practices?

Inquiring minds in this stirring debate want to know!!!

We know that in inclement weather, the Herd baseball team practices in the
Cline indoor facility.

Now, when weather permits, where are outdoor practices held? I would imagine that they are at the same place where the Herd plays some home games: the YMCA field out on Rt. 2 near the Ohio River.

Don't know for sure, but I imagine the trip from campus is farther and longer to this Ohio River site on Rt. 2 than one to Barboursville on I-64. Surely it is farther and longer time wise than the trip out to the old University Heights location on Route 60.

That leads to this: does MU, the athletic department, provide transportation for the players to the Y facility for practice sessions? Or are the players responsible, financially and otherwise, for getting to and from the Y for practices?

olde ......iirc, it can’t be more than 5 miles from campus to the facility on Rt 2.....

I don't know the answer to that, but I don't see its relevance. Even if players pay their own way now, it shouldn't be like that if a new facility is being built. How can you justify giving kids a job (and frankly, that is what it is when they are getting scholarship money) but then having to pay it right back just to be able to uphold their end of the bargain (going to the field every day for practice). It is yet another reason why a campus needs to be build on or very close to campus. This twenty minute stuff will end up being a huge waste of money and effort, as it won't lead to allowing the program to be successful.

I don't know the answer to that, but I don't see its relevance. Even if players pay their own way now, it shouldn't be like that if a new facility is being built. How can you justify giving kids a job (and frankly, that is what it is when they are getting scholarship money) but then having to pay it right back just to be able to uphold their end of the bargain (going to the field every day for practice). It is yet another reason why a campus needs to be build on or very close to campus. This twenty minute stuff will end up being a huge waste of money and effort, as it won't lead to allowing the program to be successful.

Does the school have the money to buy a huge plot of land near the campus and build a stadium on it? It was my understanding that the MU budget is in dire straights and gets a lot of its funding from the state. I'm not savvy to the situation, just curious.

Does the school have the money to buy a huge plot of land near the campus and build a stadium on it? It was my understanding that the MU budget is in dire straights and gets a lot of its funding from the state. I'm not savvy to the situation, just curious.
The money is NOT the issue. It is land. I know for a fact that Hamrick wants to get another fun raiser like the Vision Campaign of a few years ago. Money would go to basketball, baseball and tennis.
We were sitting together at practice last week and talk about the lack of "clean" land near campus. Their isn't any large enough for a complex like they want to build.
As we know, the city and MU were hoping to partner in building a wonderful complex including stadium, hotel and shopping area. It appears, however, that the city is just to strapped for cash to be able to pull it off.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
olde ......iirc, it can’t be more than 5 miles from campus to the facility on Rt 2.....

Well, Exit 18 off I-64 to Barboursville and the Exit to Hal Greer and campus is something like Exit 12 or so. Faster travel on I-64 than on state Route 2 up the Ohio River. Also, X 18 going North goes across and intersects with Rt. 2, so I would say its pretty close, time wise, either way. Again, just wondering if MU provides transportation, bus, etc., to takes players to practice out at the Kennedy Center.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Well, Exit 18 off I-64 to Barboursville and the Exit to Hal Greer and campus is something like Exit 12 or so. Faster travel on I-64 than on state Route 2 up the Ohio River. Also, X 18 going North goes across and intersects with Rt. 2, so I would say its pretty close, time wise, either way. Again, just wondering if MU provides transportation, bus, etc., to takes players to practice out at the Kennedy Center.
.....olde - If we aren’t busing the players to practices, that is bush league! Surely not....

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
The money is NOT the issue. It is land. I know for a fact that Hamrick wants to get another fun raiser like the Vision Campaign of a few years ago. Money would go to basketball, baseball and tennis.
We were sitting together at practice last week and talk about the lack of "clean" land near campus. Their isn't any large enough for a complex like they want to build.
As we know, the city and MU were hoping to partner in building a wonderful complex including stadium, hotel and shopping area. It appears, however, that the city is just to strapped for cash to be able to pull it off.
Marshall has a tiny campus in terms of land size. It is only 100 acres. That is very small. For comparison ECU's main campus is 560 acres. Their west campus is another 650 acres and and their health science campus is another 260 acres. UNC CHarlotte since on 1,000 acres as well. Basically Marshall is a university sitting on a small junior college size campus.

Marshall is going to have to partner with someone for land or home for an eminent domain(good luck with that).

They are going to have to go off campus to build a field.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I'm not very familiar with the layout of Huntington, other than the main drags in and around the Henderson Center and Joan. Where do all of the meth heads take up residency? Are they scattered throughout, or is there a blight area close by they could simply bulldoze, and construct a field? Show up with a bunch of Caterpillars and doze the hell out of these areas.

There it is!

In reality, he said "listen, guy, security has already been called and we are moving forward with an order or protection."

Ryan...do you sit up at nights wondering what I will say next to MR. SWEENEY? I understand you want to grow up to be a lot like me!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Ryan...do you sit up at nights wondering what I will say next to MR. SWEENEY? I understand you want to grow up to be a lot like me!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

The feud is over for me...I will regress to make rebuttals to Ryan nonsense.

Gary Sweeney in Charlotte....

Welp, that lasted about 18 hours. Just as I predicted, the psychotic, temper-tantrum throwing, short, fat, delusional, bald, renting a bedroom off of his ex-wife, woman-beating, violence threatening old man breaks his word once again.

I'm not very familiar with the layout of Huntington, other than the main drags in and around the Henderson Center and Joan. Where do all of the meth heads take up residency? Are they scattered throughout, or is there a blight area close by they could simply bulldoze, and construct a field? Show up with a bunch of Caterpillars and doze the hell out of these areas.

Dreh, you've hit on a KEY issue.

First, MU is a pretty land locked school. Doesn't have a lot of vacant or empty parcels of land just sitting around waiting for the school to build something on.

As for Huntington, it had about 83,000 people in the early 60s and about 48,000 people today. You do the math: a lot of those 35,000 people who "ain't" there no more have left a lot of empty structures from Guyandotte in the east end to the west end in Wayne County.

Huntington has a program to eradicate and level/clean up a lot of dilapidated structures, houses, etc. Would be great if, as you seem to suggest, the city could get a fleet of dozers and level several blocks all at one time.

Unfortunately, as with anything these days, they, the City, have to jump through a lot of "legal hoops", follow condemnation procedures, etc., etc. I think that within the last year or so, the City even got the National Guard involved in razing and removing dozens of such structures.

The President says a new college of business building will go just across Hal Greer blvd on 4th ave where MU owns a parking lot

Commander: "Put a shot across his nose."

Rifle:
Welp, that lasted about 18 hours. Just as I predicted, the psychotic, temper-tantrum throwing, short, fat, delusional, bald, renting a bedroom off of his ex-wife, woman-beating, violence threatening old man breaks his word once again.

Commander: "I said ACROSS his nose, not up it!"

Reactions: Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

WRONG AS USUAL RYAN KOOBE......I penned this comment before making my final statement...I have ceased to reply to your nonsense. Purchase a Timex watch at Walmart...they have ones to fit your budget!

HerdZilla22

Reactions: The Real SamC
.I penned this comment before making my final statement...I have ceased to reply to your nonsense. Purchase a Timex watch at Walmart...they have ones to fit your budget!

You created multiple posts two days ahead of time in response to my posts because you are a psychic who knew what I was going to say? Add "habitual liar" to your characteristics.

Mike Hamrick came and sat with me most all morning Saturday at football practice. That subject came up. The real holdup, according to him, is suitable land. The ACF property would take millions to clean up even if available. The parking lot across 3rd Ave by itself isn't big enough for all they want. You would need to go all the way over to 5th Ave. Then you are dealing with contamination again. There doesn't seem to be a great solution.
Clean up was not a problem for the softball field

I don't really understand the issue with brownfield site for a baseball stadium. Why can't the entire area be capped with plastic, fresh earth introduced above the plastic cap with all drainage, etc. above the cap? This would in essence "bury" the issue with the brownfield contaminant to where it is now and allow the use of the surface volume.

I also just looked up some brownfield reclamation issues and found that governments can issue specifications and controls for each site involved. Asheville, NC, NJ, and other places are examples of communities moving brownfield space to open space, recreational use land.

Also, it has for some time been apparent that if MU wants to become the size university of its dreams, the use of eminent domain will be required south of fifth avenue and west of 20th street, as well as east through Fat Patty's and the 20th street bank (wouldn't that piece of property be a nice addition to the university just as it is right now?) up to the softball field.

Reactions: AllEers6
I don't really understand the issue with brownfield site for a baseball stadium. Why can't the entire area be capped with plastic, fresh earth introduced above the plastic cap with all drainage, etc. above the cap? This would in essence "bury" the issue with the brownfield contaminant to where it is now and allow the use of the surface volume.

I also just looked up some brownfield reclamation issues and found that governments can issue specifications and controls for each site involved. Asheville, NC, NJ, and other places are examples of communities moving brownfield space to open space, recreational use land.

Also, it has for some time been apparent that if MU wants to become the size university of its dreams, the use of eminent domain will be required south of fifth avenue and west of 20th street, as well as east through Fat Patty's and the 20th street bank (wouldn't that piece of property be a nice addition to the university just as it is right now?) up to the softball field.
yes, something just does not seem right. I think the cost to purchase the land is still the issue and not having the money. The current owner wants to sell the entire block of land for a very high price so just use ED and apply to the US Govt for a Brownfield block grant.

All I know is, that when I sat and talked to Mike for a couple hours at football practice a couple weeks ago, he said the land was an issue. They want land large enough for the stadium, parking and would love to do what has been proposed. That being hotel, entertainment venues and shopping.

All I know is, that when I sat and talked to Mike for a couple hours at football practice a couple weeks ago, he said the land was an issue. They want land large enough for the stadium, parking and would love to do what has been proposed. That being hotel, entertainment venues and shopping.

Sorry, but I doubt those plans EVER come to fruition for many reasons. We need to build a stadium, market to a major league organization to place a rookie or short season team here to draw fans when MU isn't playing. I don't see an issue placing a 2000 seat stadium behind the softball field and possibly re-purposing the existing structures in the area "when available" for shops, eateries, etc. If the Double Tree downtown comes to fruition and is done right, that will take care of hotel room needs and meeting space in the short term. We'll never get the ACF property - jmo.

Sorry, but I doubt those plans EVER come to fruition for many reasons. We need to build a stadium, market to a major league organization to place a rookie or short season team here to draw fans when MU isn't playing. I don't see an issue placing a 2000 seat stadium behind the softball field and possibly re-purposing the existing structures in the area "when available" for shops, eateries, etc. If the Double Tree downtown comes to fruition and is done right, that will take care of hotel room needs and meeting space in the short term. We'll never get the ACF property - jmo.
The idea that the mayor and Mike had discussed would have been great. Unfortunately the city just can't financially make it happen on their part. When private concerns tried they could sell the bonds.

The idea that the mayor and Mike had discussed would have been great. Unfortunately the city just can't financially make it happen on their part. When private concerns tried they could sell the bonds.

It's gonna be a hard sell to convince anyone to invest in such an idea (the plans laid out). I would love to see it happen and it would be huge for MU and the city. But maybe baby steps are better suited at this time.

I don't know. I'm not an environment engineer. I do know that there is a specific EPA approved process for every little detail and we would have to follow that to every little detail. Step One would be to figure out what that process is and how much it would cost. I suspect that that has already been done and the answer is "too much".

MU has been scared s***less of eminent domain since the football stadium acquisition. The process is that the state appraiser says $X and they give the owner $X and then, perhaps years later, it comes up for trial and the landowner cries and whines, and some trial lawyer finds an "expert" that says the place was a gold mine and worth many times what the evil state says. Juries figure "it is all federal money anyway" (whether that is true or not) and give the landowner some high %age of what he asked for.

More or less MU is giving a blank check to 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty. That is scary.

Assuming no toxic issues, the growth area for MU seems to be something beyond the stadium, between 5th and 3rd. There are several vacant and abandoned properties there.

PROBABLY another smoke screen excuse
by decision makers that don't want to invest in HERD BASEBALL. If it does involve Football or Softball.....money can not be secured! Modern technology can put men on the Moon, but can't clean up brownfield sites? I cry HOGWASH.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: AllEers6
Sam, just one question...........how many of YOUR tax dollars went into building Monongalia County Ballpark ?
I can answer that question for you. I live in Fairmont, and my brother worked on that facility when it was built. The State of West Virginia didn't contribute a cent toward that baseball facility. It was built entirely with county funds from Monongalia County, and WVU and the minor league team the Black Bears pay rental fees to cover payments on the bonds and maintenance.

Umm, I'm not really the one to be pointing this out, but:

WVU baseball park - located in a shopping center across the river in another town from the 'hole proper.
WVU basketball and other indoor sports, plus soccer - located on what can only be called an edge of its secondary campus, more than a mile from the nearest dorm, not on the PRT line that connects its spread out twin campus mess, beyond walking distance from all but a couple of campus buildings.
WVU women's soccer practice field - separate facility from stadium, on US 19 as you enter town, unconnected to any other state property, also not actually in the 'hole proper.
WVU football, stadium and (smallish) IPF - located between the med school and the law school (neither of which any of the football players would be attending) which are both really off the undergraduate campuses, and which is not on the PRT line.
A couple minor corrections, if you will. The PRT stop is above the Creative Arts center and below the Engineering School, about a 5 minute walk from the Coliseum. It is generally used by many students from the downtown campus to get to athletic events at the Coliseum. Evansdale students usually walk the mile to those events, but they can take the city busses to the CAC for free.

The Medical School is not just for grad students. There are many undergrads who take courses there too, especially in the nursing and dental hygiene fields. The PRT stops right at the Medical Campus across the Blue Lot from the stadium.

You are correct that the baseball stadium, which is owned by the county, is at the University Town Centre which is in Granville, on the other side of the river from the Evansdale Campus, but WVU provides free busses for students attending games there, and the students can also take the city busses to the ballpark. A significant number of students actually live in a privately owned housing complex located on the other side of the UTC, and they can walk to the games.

Baseball, as well as women's soccer, have become revenue sports at WVU. They have great competition coming in there ... Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, Kansas, Virginia Tech, TCU, Pitt, Maryland, Penn State, baseball now draws good crowds for the better teams.

WVU is fine with their 90 yard IPF. It is long ago paid for, and the 90 yards suitable for scrimmages. They have no intention of actually playing games in there, and the county is building a new track complex and Olympic quality aquatic center at Mylan Park, located about 5 miles from downtown, that will be used by WVU as well as local schools. There will be zero state money involved with any of this. The aquatic center will also have an outdoor water park for local youngsters, and it will be served by the city busses which are free for WVU students.

Also planned for the new complex is a large dirt bike trail.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT