ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Dorms Are Full For The Fall

Dec 12, 2023
I read a post on another Herd Board and it stated that dorms are full and there is a waiting list for space for Freshmen. All Freshmen are required to live in dorms. This is great news for Marshall which indicates that Freshmen enrollment is recovering from Covid. The revenue increase will help Marshall to reduce the deficit.

All growth, at least in talking about enrollment, isn't good growth.

If you are squeezing your profit margin too much, it's not good. If you are watering down your product (say, for instance, lowering basic qualifications to be accepted into school by not even requiring an application to be completed for local students with just a 2.5 GPA), it's not good.

They need a new kind of degree. Something on the order of general studies. It proves that the student at least had the guts to stick around for 4 or 5 years and go in debt tens of thousands of dollars just to come out of college as dumb as he went in.

• Wow
Reactions: herdfan06
I just found out a nephew who's attending UVA is majoring in Dutch Poetry. No lie. I laughed when I heard that. Is that money well spent?

No lie? I think it's a lie. WIthout looking, I can't imagine that any U.S. college, especially one like UVA, has a "Dutch Poetry" major.

No lie? I think it's a lie. WIthout looking, I can't imagine that any U.S. college, especially one like UVA, has a "Dutch Poetry" major.
I swear. I asked twice. I just looked on the UVA site and it is offered via their English Dept. and Creative Writing. Seems its a pre-cursor for a study abroad program.

I swear. I asked twice. I just looked on the UVA site and it is offered via their English Dept. and Creative Writing. Seems it's a pre-cursor for a study abroad program.
An area of emphasis isn't the same thing as a major. They do NOThave a major in Dutch poetry

An area of emphasis isn't the same thing as a major. They do NOThave a major in Dutch poetry
That's what they told me,you would think the parents would know. But looking at the web site it doesn't appear to be a "MAJOR". Still, I question the young mans choice in this area. To each his own.

Last edited:
- Any person who majors, or whatever knitpick alternative like "area of emphasis-es" something that you cannot find 1000s of the modern electronic version of a help wanted ad for is a dope.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I swear. I asked twice.
Probably should have asked a third time.

But looking at the web site it doesn't appear to be a "MAJOR".
Shit, it's not even a minor offered. Without looking it up and just going by your word (I know, that isn't wise), it would possibly be a course to allow one to study abroad for a semester in a specific country.

As I said yesterday, this board needs a full time fact checker. No lie.

• Haha
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
When WVU was having financial problems months ago, one of their cost cutting measures was to eliminate the puppetry major.
I think that one was set up when Gee first arrived in the Hole. He wanted some WVU students trained as puppet string pullers to help him manipulate the feckless and spineless legislative and governmental leaders in Charleston. Now that he is on his way out the door, the Committee trying to reduce massive deficits accumulated during his tenure decided that puppetry is a luxury the "Flagcrap" School could no longer afford!!!

I read a post on another Herd Board and it stated that dorms are full and there is a waiting list for space for Freshmen. All Freshmen are required to live in dorms. This is great news for Marshall which indicates that Freshmen enrollment is recovering from Covid. The revenue increase will help Marshall to reduce the deficit.
Hasn't MU reduced the amount of on campus housing in recent years? Old and obsolete facilities like Hodges and Laidley Halls were closed and now both have been razed. The 5th Avenue 8 story dorm, formerly South Hall, and now Holderby Hall, has been closed/shuttered, IIRC. And I believe MU plans to raze the entire building. Not sure if there has been much, if any, growth in the off-campus housing stock (private) in and around the campus itself in recent years. When we see that the need for more of such housing has arrived in a significant way that private funds are developing more of said facilities, that would be a major indication that campus enrollment is attaining sustained growth in significant numbers, IMO.

Hasn't MU reduced the amount of on campus housing in recent years? Old and obsolete facilities like Hodges and Laidley Halls were closed and now both have been razed. The 5th Avenue 8 story dorm, formerly South Hall, and now Holderby Hall, has been closed/shuttered, IIRC. And I believe MU plans to raze the entire building. Not sure if there has been much, if any, growth in the off-campus housing stock (private) in and around the campus itself in recent years. When we see that the need for more of such housing has arrived in a significant way that private funds are developing more of said facilities, that would be a major indication that campus enrollment is attaining sustained growth in significant numbers, IMO.
I believe the plan is to demolish Holderby Hall and replace it with new modern student housing. They are also going to need to consider more student housing near the Innovation District as it continues to grow along 4th Ave.

The new development of the ACF property is going to include student housing.

All growth, at least in talking about enrollment, isn't good growth.

If you are squeezing your profit margin too much, it's not good. If you are watering down your product (say, for instance, lowering basic qualifications to be accepted into school by not even requiring an application to be completed for local students with just a 2.5 GPA), it's not good.
The national average GPA for a HS graduate is 3.0, so yes, 2.5 for a local to get an automatic entry is low. But, we are one of the poorest states in the country. Seems like the goal is to offer kids an opportunity to get a college education - and lots won’t finish but the ones that do, I’m excited and hopeful they stick around.

Investing in a community and taking a risk on folks who may not have had the best foundation shows a commitment to Huntington and surrounding communities is a valid and positive approach.

@riflearm2 - you don’t seem to positive, about anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Investing in a community and taking a risk on folks who may not have had the best foundation shows a commitment to Huntington and surrounding communities is a valid and positive approach.
It does a great disservice to alums, current students, and students who Marshall should be striving to get to matriculate: those with GPAs far higher than 2.5. But instead, Marshall is giving those below average students an even easier path with them having to show even less initiative and drive. Instead of elevating the academics and student body at Marshall, they have decided to simply chase numbers and revenue.
The Marshall sports that I care the most about - baseball, football, basketball - all had losing records. Marshall football is soon to be relegated to a lower level. As just mentioned, Marshall is finding a way to attract even more below average students, as if that wasn't already occurring enough. Finally, the state had a governor who helped Marshall, but he is gone soon. The athletic director seems in over his head, says things he shouldn't publicly, and jinxed the new baseball stadium. The president lacks self-awareness, made a ton of money by manipulating the federal government, and is embarrassing . . . and the Marshall president is also guilty of all three of those.

There's not much to be positive about right now.

Reactions: Ninegate
The national average GPA for a HS graduate is 3.0, so yes, 2.5 for a local to get an automatic entry is low. But, we are one of the poorest states in the country. Seems like the goal is to offer kids an opportunity to get a college education - and lots won’t finish but the ones that do, I’m excited and hopeful they stick around.

Stick around Tim. Rifle will educate you on everything that's wrong with WV and Marshall, Spears, and Brad. He's never met Spears or Brad but he knows everything about them. I'm afraid his handlebar mishap really screwed him up.

So a kid with a 2.5 is not college worthy, or worthy of attending Marshall; and doomed to a life of flipping burgers? WOW!
I look at it as the opposite, we're giving kids a chance to better themselves; what they make of that opportunity is up to them.

My HS English teacher said I shouldn't go to college. I did, graduated in 85 and have had a great career. Glad I didn't take her advise. You know, just being a stupid 2.50 student and all.

BTW, when I was a rep. with General Medical, we had a guy in our region who was a Harvard grad, (or so he said) he may have been smart but he couldn't do shit, couldn't relate to people. He didn't last long.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So a kid with a 2.5 is not college worthy,
Not at Marshall. We should be elevating our university, not dumbing it down to accept those who weren't willing to put in any effort or not capable of handling a worthy college education.

WOW!
I look at it as the opposite, we're giving kids a chance to better themselves; what they make of that opportunity is up to them.
At whose cost? Why must Marshall be the college to dumb themselves down and be full of inferior high school students? Why must Marshall water-down their education, standards, and results to accommodate those who didn't want to put in effort in high school? Why must people like me get punished for that?

My HS English teacher said I shouldn't go to college. I did, graduated in 85 and have had a great career. Glad I didn't take her advise.

This is exactly my point and probably what your English teacher observed. How does somebody who doesn't know the difference between "advice" and "advise" succeed in college? It's because the college has very low standards, and that negatively impacts those people who should be in college (or at least one with decent standards).

I don't want to keep seeing Marshall water-down its entrance requirements and continue to be the bottom-feeder school. I want them to elevate their standards, education, and results. Marshall's recent move seems more concerned about increasing revenue and enrollment than it does increasing the main point for higher education.

Reactions: Ninegate
West Virginia State and Concord are for 2.5 grads. Retention at both those schools are horrible. Why? Because anyone that can’t achieve a 3.0 in a WV high school is not really trying or stupid for college. We are obsessed with enrollment numbers. Hell start a College of truck driving or Diesel Mechanics. Nothing more than a shameful race to the bottom.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Not at Marshall. We should be elevating our university, not dumbing it down to accept those who weren't willing to put in any effort or not capable of handling a worthy college education.

At whose cost? Why must Marshall be the college to dumb themselves down and be full of inferior high school students? Why must Marshall water-down their education, standards, and results to accommodate those who didn't want to put in effort in high school? Why must people like me get punished for that?

This is exactly my point and probably what your English teacher observed. How does somebody who doesn't know the difference between "advice" and "advise" succeed in college? It's because the college has very low standards, and that negatively impacts those people who should be in college (or at least one with decent standards).

I don't want to keep seeing Marshall water-down its entrance requirements and continue to be the bottom-feeder school. I want them to elevate their standards, education, and results. Marshall's recent move seems more concerned about increasing revenue and enrollment than it does increasing the main point for higher education.
I understand your point about elevating our academic standards and reputation, we all want that to happen. The issue is, Marshall's mission or part of its mission as a regional university is to educate students from the area, specifically WV. Knowing that, they are filling a need in accepting kids with less than stellar academic records. They can do both, and do via the Presidential scholarship and Yeager Scholars. It doesn't have to be an either or proposition.
And as to the English teacher, I've made more money than she ever dreamed of, so I'd say she swung and missed on this one.

Last edited:
I understand your point about elevating our academic standards and reputation, we all want that to happen. The issue is, Marshall's mission or part of its mission as a regional university is to educate students from the area, specifically WV. Knowing that, they are filling a need in accepting kids with less than stellar academic records. They can do both, and do via the Presidential scholarship and Yeager Scholars. It doesn't have to be an either or proposition.
And as to the English teacher, I've made more money than she ever dreamed of, so I'd say she swung and missed on this one.

So you think raising the academic standards and reputation of a university can be accomplished by accepting even less academically proficient students, basically dumbing down the already low standards?

You're wrong - it is an either/or proposition.

Marshall is offering automatic acceptance for these 2.5 GPA grads without asking them to apply. Would they have been accepted previously had they applied? I don't know. If they were, though, it's not a fair statement to say we are dumbing down the University.

I hate to admit but I m w Rife on this 100%

Marshall is offering automatic acceptance for these 2.5 GPA grads without asking them to apply. Would they have been accepted previously had they applied?
Yes, it's almost assured that they would be accepted regardless of this change. That begs the question, how is it watering/dumbing it down . . .

If they were, though, it's not a fair statement to say we are dumbing down the University.

It is a fair statement regardless if they would have been accepted or not. You are dropping basic requirements for acceptance and making the requirements even easier for a track of students who already have shown a lack of effort in one of the worst pubic school educations in the country (which west virginia is).

The intent is to grow enrollment by automatically accepting local students with a 2.5 GPA. In other words, Marshall is going to accept students who wouldn't have otherwise had the initiative to even complete an application. It would be like offering a job to a candidate who felt that it was too much effort to show up to the job interview.

Give the program a chance; if it proves not worthwhile, then cancel it. Retention/graduation rates will show if it should be continued. The goal is a worthy one, but the risk is there as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT