ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall players reunite in Charlotte?

Who were they?

Ding ding ding - this is the critical question no one is asking, and one everybody knows Green Helmets Landon can't answer.

If it's Byron and Chad and Randy and 50 other guys renting a hotel ballroom and hiring a DJ, its one thing - if its just like seven random dudes who played for Marshall and who happen to live in the Charlotte area getting together in the parking lot, its something totally different. Based on the lack of details and specifics in the Op-Ed (because that's what all of Landon's "articles" are), I'm guessing its the latter.

And that's me being generous, supposing it happened at all. Landon's stuff is always more about what can't be disproven than what he actually has some sort of evidence of.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Chuck may be a shit stirrer but I fully condone his work. He’s the only writer in that state that questions the judgment and mediocrity of Doc/ath dept.

The fact that he’s been forbidden access to the program speaks to the thin skin and inability of the University to communicate effectively to the Marshall community IMO.

I really have little sympathy for those who work at Marshall. I’ve found dealing with them in the AD and Old Main to be mostly arrogant and less than competent in their positions.
Marshall is far from transparent and certainly not very welcoming to anyone outside the circle.

I love and support the school but as I get older that feeling is getting thin.

Reactions: GreenDuke
The fact that he’s been forbidden access to the program speaks to the thin skin and inability of the University to communicate effectively to the Marshall community IMO.

That happened because he reported a fake injury in regards to Devon Johnson.

Had to make 8 more hot dogs because someone messed up their RSVP.
How about this! Leadership comes and leadership goes but its still the place these players call home. They can have all the tailgates and parties they want in Huntington far away from administration so for Chuck to make something of this happening at an away game just seems small minded by everyone involved. If the former players think they are helping they are wrong. This is jus stupid.

I assume your joking that they are not mad over 8 hot dogs
Well, Coach said something about somebody not getting the RSVP right and they brought some extra people. I guess it through the MU folks all for a loop and caused a lot of problems. I am saying the athletic department might have to make some more hot dogs and that is a lot of trouble apparently. Seems like Hot Dogs and Marshall are just not meant to be.

There were about 15-20 former teammates that got together. One of the former players is a friend and it was on his Facebook page. He had a group picture. Big deal being made about nothing.

Well, Coach said something about somebody not getting the RSVP right and they brought some extra people. I guess it through the MU folks all for a loop and caused a lot of problems. I am saying the athletic department might have to make some more hot dogs and that is a lot of trouble apparently. Seems like Hot Dogs and Marshall are just not meant to be.
If you are one of the players that was involved or if any is reading Im going to be honest this is making you look stupid and petty. MU athletics is not flowing in cash so stop complaining and get on board with making the school better, but this continued discussion of not getting your butt kissed enough is getting old

Last edited:
Chuck may be a shit stirrer but I fully condone his work. He’s the only writer in that state that questions the judgment and mediocrity of Doc/ath dept.

He just plasters BS all over his articles and like what was previously stated.. he’s makes it up

If your one of the players that was involved or if any is reading Im going to be honest this is making you look stupid and petty. MU athletics is not flowing in cash so stop complaining and get on board with making the school better, but this continued discussion of not getting your butt kissed enough is getting old

Dude, you keep doing it, over and over, ITT. The word you need is YOU'RE NOT YOUR.

Secondly, you do not need to be speaking to any former Marshall football players on behalf of the Athletic Department. Also, if the Athletic Department cannot afford to pay for an additional 8 guests for meals, alcoholic beverages, etc, then we have ZERO business paying Doc Holliday his current salary, especially when he yields such poor results.

Usually in these type functions, you always over prepare with more food, beverage, etc than what you may need. Usually more people do show up than planned for.

But Marshall always running on the cheap as they do, likely got just enough for those who indicated they would attend and hoped no one else showed up.

Also, if the Athletic Department cannot afford to pay for an additional 8 guests for meals, alcoholic beverages, etc, then we have ZERO business paying Doc Holliday his current salary, especially when he yields such poor results.

I was just using that as an example.

Herdman came up with the hot dog nonsense.

Dude, you keep doing it, over and over, ITT. The word you need is YOU'RE NOT YOUR.

Secondly, you do not need to be speaking to any former Marshall football players on behalf of the Athletic Department. Also, if the Athletic Department cannot afford to pay for an additional 8 guests for meals, alcoholic beverages, etc, then we have ZERO business paying Doc Holliday his current salary, especially when he yields such poor results.
What Im saying is an event like this with an open bar can cost big money. They wanted to close the bar at kickoff(which was discussed in the agenda given to the players) but the players found this offensive (plus a couple other small items).

How about "you are" that work better? I like how when people don't agree with what you post they attack the grammar. Again, the players are starting to appear selfish and petty the longer this debate continues. Get over it!

Oh I feel most college coaches are over paid but if you look Doc is being paid about average for what everyone else is getting paid in the non P5 schools.

And one other thing. Marshall provided these players with degrees and its time to start giving back. Sounds to me like a bunch of players came back to town and wanted to be treated like "rock stars" and party on someone else's dime.

So did anyone think about giving MU money or finding a way to help MU instead of going around and complaining because you tail ends didn't get kissed enough.

And one other thing. Marshall provided these players with degrees and its time to start giving back. Sounds to me like a bunch of players came back to town and wanted to be treated like "rock stars" and party on someone else's dime.

So did anyone think about giving MU money or finding a way to help MU instead of going around and complaining because you tail ends didn't get kissed enough.

1- collect ALL your thoughts, then post.

2- while I don't disagree that the players received degrees from Marshall, if any of those players were from Bobby Pruett's teams, they also paid their dues, putting Marshall on the map in regards to college football.

3- if you're (not your or yore) a graduate of any university, stop committing such a simple error in grammar. Hell, blame Professor @riflearm2 for teaching us proper grammar on here.

4- an open bar consisting of beer and wine would have kept the party going and would not have been that expensive. That could have been the compromise, if it wasn't already set up that way. At my wedding, I pulled the trigger on tapping another keg towards the end of the reception, because it was important to me that running out of beer was not to become the thing all the guys remembered from my wedding.

You mean the fake injury that led to the end of his career, his addiction to painkillers and his tragic death? Is that the fake injury you are talking about?

No.

The fake injury that didn't exist. I can't remember the particulars nor do I honestly care to look them up, but he reported a vertebrae injury I believe. No matter, whatever the nature of the injury that Chuck reported, it was wrong.

Never said Devon wasn't injured. He just wasn't injured in the way that Chuck reported.

No.

The fake injury that didn't exist. I can't remember the particulars nor do I honestly care to look them up, but he reported a vertebrae injury I believe. No matter, whatever the nature of the injury that Chuck reported, it was wrong.

Never said Devon wasn't injured. He just wasn't injured in the way that Chuck reported.

Oh, so because Chuck was trying to communicate something to the fanbase (as to why one of the most exciting running backs we had seen in a long time was not playing) you took most issue with having released an injury to the wrong part of Devon's body?

No, you're pissed because you continue to try and toe the Doc Holliday & Co line. Someone who knows Doc and/or Hamrick definitely visits this board the way you carry on.

Oh, so because Chuck was trying to communicate something to the fanbase (as to why one of the most exciting running backs we had seen in a long time was not playing) you took most issue with having released an injury to the wrong part of Devon's body?

Well, Devon was upset about it at the time so yeah.

If you are one of the players that was involved or if any is reading Im going to be honest this is making you look stupid and petty. MU athletics is not flowing in cash so stop complaining and get on board with making the school better, but this continued discussion of not getting your butt kissed enough is getting old
They cant afford some hit dogs? Some of that canned Bunker Hill sauce? Red solo cups with some Coke? must be bad.

CHAD PENNINGTON DESERVES A HOT DOG
DAMN IT!

What Im saying is an event like this with an open bar can cost big money. They wanted to close the bar at kickoff(which was discussed in the agenda given to the players) but the players found this offensive (plus a couple other small items).
Oh crap. You can buy some booze and some beer and some damn barefoot wine.

Stop be a cheap bastard.

1- collect ALL your thoughts, then post.

2- while I don't disagree that the players received degrees from Marshall, if any of those players were from Bobby Pruett's teams, they also paid their dues, putting Marshall on the map in regards to college football.

3- if you're (not your or yore) a graduate of any university, stop committing such a simple error in grammar. Hell, blame Professor @riflearm2 for teaching us proper grammar on here.

4- an open bar consisting of beer and wine would have kept the party going and would not have been that expensive. That could have been the compromise, if it wasn't already set up that way. At my wedding, I pulled the trigger on tapping another keg towards the end of the reception, because it was important to me that running out of beer was not to become the thing all the guys remembered from my wedding.
again, the players were told before it all started the bar will be cut off at kickoff.

Paying your dues, see this is the part where all the players look selfish. What you got in return for playing was a college degree. Also, Jim Donnan and George Chump laid the ground work for these guys to be successful so they don't deserve credit?

Lastly, all the players are alums with jobs why did someone in the group not step up and fund the bar?

again, the players were told before it all started the bar will be cut off at kickoff.

Paying your dues, see this is the part where all the players look selfish. What you got in return for playing was a college degree. Also, Jim Donnan and George Chump laid the ground work for these guys to be successful so they don't deserve credit?

Lastly, all the players are alums with jobs why did someone in the group not step up and fund the bar?

Marshall Football Great Reunion BYOB and it is a pot luck. Who is bringing the cole slaw? Potato Salad is already taken. Marshall too cheap to buy a tailgate party pack at Bojangles and too cheap to get free beer from a sponsor. They got those 99 packs of PBR on sale now.

Marshall Football Great Reunion BYOB and it is a pot luck. Who is bringing the cole slaw? Potato Salad is already taken. Marshall too cheap to buy a tailgate party pack at Bojangles and too cheap to get free beer from a sponsor. They got those 99 packs of PBR on sale now.

Herdman - this might become a classic post , at least one that needs to be in the running for same.

I look at it in the same way I do my own tailgates.

If you don’t show me the courtesy of RSVP’ing, then I don’t care if you eat or not.

I’m sorry but it’s not too hard to pick up your phone and send a text with the names of your guests.

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a family friend, who had a 3rd cousin that would have no reason to lie. ;) ;)

If you don’t show me the courtesy of RSVP’ing, then I don’t care if you eat or not.

I’m sorry but it’s not too hard to pick up your phone and send a text with the names of your guests.
Coach, that is not the same damn thing.

Curious about something - why is this being rehashed - some guys got mad , Hamrick in all likelihood messed up as usual , it happened its over (or should be) move on.

Maybe in time they can try this again , leave the bar open the entire game and let the former players pass out in the parking lot or stands or Big Green room or wherever , just make sure they have plenty to drink as apparently that is the most important part of returning to Marshall for a visit.

When they played they wanted butts in the seats to cheer them on. Why should they be pissed about the bar being shutdown at kickoff? They should have happily headed inside to cheer on The Herd, instead of sucking down a few more cold beers while the game was being played. Come on folks! Get real! Go Herd, and beat FIU!

Curious about something - why is this being rehashed - some guys got mad , Hamrick in all likelihood messed up as usual , it happened its over (or should be) move on.

Maybe in time they can try this again , leave the bar open the entire game and let the former players pass out in the parking lot or stands or Big Green room or wherever , just make sure they have plenty to drink as apparently that is the most important part of returning to Marshall for a visit.
the problem is chuck and the guys involved wont let it go

my point is it seemed a bunch of former players roll up into Huntington and expect to free load on the University. Did anyone donate to the Big Green? How many former NFL guys(that helped build the program) that have made more money then almost all of us on this board help offset costs?

You make people RSVP to a tailgate?

A fvcking tailgate??

(Insert Ed Bassmaster "Unreal" gif)

You make people RSVP to a tailgate?

A fvcking tailgate??

(Insert Ed Bassmaster "Unreal" gif)

Well, when the attendance numbers range between 10 and 20 and I’m buying 90% of the food, it’s nice to have some kind of idea on how many people will be there.

So yeah, I expect some type of response.

Well, when the attendance numbers range between 10 and 20 and I’m buying 90% of the food, it’s nice to have some kind of idea on how many people will be there.

So yeah, I expect some type of response.

Take away the free food, and your own blood wouldn’t show up to your tailgate.

Take away the free food, and your own blood wouldn’t show up to your tailgate.

Yeah. You’re probably right. Maybe I should log on HerdNation more often to express how impressed I am with my own life. Maybe then I could finally realize true satisfaction with life.

Just maybe........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT