ADVERTISEMENT

"Momentous announcement" during Homecoming football game?

Was every AD in our history simply the worst AD of all time then? He runs an athletic department that very few are interested in donating to monetarily and yet has built numerous things and given us a chance with limited resources.

more people would be willing to donate if there was more excitement/atmosphere, better alumni relations, etc. but we are content squeezing money out of the few big donors we have, while ignoring the “smaller donors” and not looking to create more donors.

People aren’t donating when the money we give them is not spent on things that it should be: facility management and improvement. Yes, mike is good with begging donors for big vision campaigns. Cool. Maybe power wash the stadium? Clean the dried blood off seats in the Cam Henderson Center? Expand the concourse in the Joan? Paint/update the field at the Joan? Stop having adds or special presentations during every single dead ball in football?

those are just a few. Our program, our leadership, everything about us is mediocre. We’re better than most in our conference, and we’re ok with that.

Reactions: Dorrej
To be honest I’m not sure. Being that I’ve only been old enough to notice during one.
And I don’t think he is bad enough to be fired (thus my desire for him to retire).

But he’s mediocre. Our athletic department is mediocre. Nothing is outstanding. I am a baseball guy, and the renderings of the baseball stadium do not get me excited (I am very excited for a baseball stadium, just wish execution was better), our facilities that we have are consistently ignored, the atmosphere at football games is awful. We are in an awful conference, still. Hopefully he’s tried to get ya out of it and into the American.

yes we’ve won some games. But we’re mediocre. And we’ve accepted that. Nothing is fresh coming out of this athletic department.
Based on the last sentence in the next to last paragraph, are you even a Marshall fan?

The goal of an athletic director is to win and stay on budget. Finding ways to build facilities is done only because it helps teams win. So sure, he can be applauded for that, but if the efforts end up failing to win, as Dorrej pointed out, then it is a failure.

How has a once proud fan base abandoned that aspect? Lack of winning by the head coaches entirely falls on Hamrick’s shoulders. His responsibility is to hire and fire the coaches who will lead each program to success. If what Dorrej said is true regarding that few conference championships won, then that is shockingly low.

I wouldn't mind seeing him and Doc both ride off into the sunset and I am being honest. I think I find just about everything surrounding the athletics at Marshall to be rather stale and as someone said mediocre. In particular, football which is the face of the Athletic Department and probably the university as a whole needs a fresh coat of paint. That is a major demerit on Hamrick.

At some point you have to win and reach your potential. The football program does not and that is a failure of Hamrick. You can tout facilities all you want but, if you are not any good what does it matter? To me his legacy thus far has been allowing the football program to slide into mediocrity and there seems to be no standard or expectation to do better. There needs to be some new lifeblood and a shot of energy.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
I wouldn't mind seeing him and Doc both ride off into the sunset and I am being honest. I think I find just about everything surrounding the athletics at Marshall to be rather stale and as someone said mediocre. In particular, football which is the face of the Athletic Department and probably the university as a whole needs a fresh coat of paint. That is a major demerit on Hamrick.

At some point you have to win and reach your potential. The football program does not and that is a failure of Hamrick. You can tout facilities all you want but, if you are not any good what does it matter? To me his legacy thus far has been allowing the football program to slide into mediocrity and there seems to be no standard or expectation to do better. There needs to be some new lifeblood and a shot of energy.

Did you ever hear the story about how Doc ended up at Marshall, the relationship between Doc and Hamrick's father, etc.?

Did you ever hear the story about how Doc ended up at Marshall, the relationship between Doc and Hamrick's father, etc.?
I seem to vaguely recall something about that. But, my memory might need some refreshing.

Ever notice how the anti Doc crowd uses meaningless catch phrases like “lifeblood” and “shot of energy” and, my favorite “do not accept mediocrity”.

Lot easier than having an actual idea about how to run a football program or an athletic department.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Ever notice how the anti Doc crowd uses meaningless catch phrases like “lifeblood” and “shot of energy” and, my favorite “do not accept mediocrity”.

Lot easier than having an actual idea about how to run a football program or an athletic department.
whether a Doc basher or not, I don't get paid to run an athletic department or football team or basketball team for that matter. I won't try to tell them how to do it and I don't want Doc or Mike telling me how to do my job.
I get paid to keep a fleet of trucks running and my boss thinks I do it well.

To be honest I’m not sure. Being that I’ve only been old enough to notice during one.
And I don’t think he is bad enough to be fired (thus my desire for him to retire).

But he’s mediocre. Our athletic department is mediocre. Nothing is outstanding. I am a baseball guy, and the renderings of the baseball stadium do not get me excited (I am very excited for a baseball stadium, just wish execution was better), our facilities that we have are consistently ignored, the atmosphere at football games is awful. We are in an awful conference, still. Hopefully he’s tried to get ya out of it and into the American.

yes we’ve won some games. But we’re mediocre. And we’ve accepted that. Nothing is fresh coming out of this athletic department.

Sooo...basically you're a whiny little b*tch.

Got it.

more people would be willing to donate if there was more excitement/atmosphere, better alumni relations, etc. but we are content squeezing money out of the few big donors we have, while ignoring the “smaller donors” and not looking to create more donors.

People aren’t donating when the money we give them is not spent on things that it should be: facility management and improvement. Yes, mike is good with begging donors for big vision campaigns. Cool. Maybe power wash the stadium? Clean the dried blood off seats in the Cam Henderson Center? Expand the concourse in the Joan? Paint/update the field at the Joan? Stop having adds or special presentations during every single dead ball in football?

those are just a few. Our program, our leadership, everything about us is mediocre. We’re better than most in our conference, and we’re ok with that.

Translation:

"I'm still mad about the goal posts not being painted every year."

Based on the last sentence in the next to last paragraph, are you even a Marshall fan?

He's a reds fan, that would explain his inability to know anything good. As for all else, he's one of those losers who wears a random team's colors to MU games (if he even goes).

Fans after year 4 of Snyder:
"Look, I don't care how, I just want to win again."

Fans after year 2 of Doc:
"No...we aren't winning in an exciting fashion! I want to be entertained!"

Fans after MU wins CUSA:
"I don't care that MU and the team put up so many offensive numbers! The conference is terrible! These wins don't count!!"

It doesn't seem to matter. MU could hire Nick Saban and he could do/say one damn small thing about coaching or the team and the small online collective, would fixate on and use as a reason to discredit everything good thats been done.
Head coach, AD, player, etc.

Fans after MU wins CUSA:
"I don't care that MU and the team put up so many offensive numbers! The conference is terrible! These wins don't count!!"

It doesn't seem to matter. MU could hire Nick Saban and he could do/say one damn small thing about coaching or the team and the small online collective, would fixate on and use as a reason to discredit everything good thats been done.

We've won CUSA one time... And I don't remember anyone on here not being excited about it, or saying that it didn't count... Using nonsense to support your narrative that our fans are terrible for criticizing an underperforming head coach makes you look like a 5-year old.

We've won CUSA one time... And I don't remember anyone on here not being excited about it, or saying that it didn't count... Using nonsense to support your narrative that our fans are terrible for criticizing an underperforming head coach makes you look like a 5-year old.

For about 3 days everyone was happy about it.
Whenever Doc wins against anyone in CUSA, even today, its all about how bad the other team is and how bad CUSA is.

Yep. The anti Doc crew have nothing really to say, other than the occasional gig that we are too “conservative”.

Relative to CUSA, MU is supposed to win, because, umm, we are supposed to. We have so many “resources” and “advantages”, none of which any of the crew can actually name.

So, knowing little about football, we get stuff out of a pre-teen boy’s novel about sports. “Try harder”, “new blood” “work 110%’ and other such pointless truisms. Yeah, the missing ingredient is that some internet genius need to get through to Doc that we “refuse” to be mediocre.

Maybe we can play Ronald Reagan’s speech in Knute Rockne All American, Gene Hackman from Hoosiers, and William Bendix from Babe Ruth over and over. Ending with McConaughey, of course.

And, should anyone criticize, call them a girl (half the world is, and they have 100% of the p**** and 75% of the $$) or say they work at Burger King (no shame in any work).

Go Herd.

There are a lot of good ideas. Start by getting us out of this conference. maintain/fix facilities we have. Grow the donor base. Engage students. Create a better atmosphere at sporting events. Cut advertising. Cut special presentations at games. Extend the concourse. Do a better job of marketing team/community relations.

those are a few ideas.

Start by getting us out of this conference.

Well, this isn't happening anytime soon whatsoever. We'd be nowhere near competitive in the AAC financially speaking.

Grow the donor base.

The Big Green is constantly pushing for new members. Hell, you can be a member for as low as $60 a year. We're currently 246 members away from 3,500. Those numbers are embarrassing.

Cut advertising. Cut special presentations at games.

How do you propose we replace the lost revenue from cutting advertising? Also, you just contradicted yourself. You want to grow the donor base, but you also want to take away our greatest avenue for recognizing their efforts. Makes perfect sense......

Well, I've been around and old enough to remember McMullen forward. We have NEVER, in my lifetime, had a good/great AD until Marshall Grad MH came to town 9 years ago. Someone 60+ might disagree, but you youngin's are just gonna have to take me at my word.....

Fans after MU wins CUSA:

We have won the damn conference exactly once. Excuse us for thinking we can do better!

Now where is my 2nd Place East Division Tri Champ t-shirt!

Mediocre Mike and Dull Doc are in charge! No need to worry.

Well, this isn't happening anytime soon whatsoever. We'd be nowhere near competitive in the AAC financially speaking.

The Big Green is constantly pushing for new members. Hell, you can be a member for as low as $60 a year. We're currently 246 members away from 3,500. Those numbers are embarrassing.

How do you propose we replace the lost revenue from cutting advertising? Also, you just contradicted yourself. You want to grow the donor base, but you also want to take away our greatest avenue for recognizing their efforts. Makes perfect sense......
The problem with the big green club is that for years it was seen as a good old boys club. It is Marshall's job to grow it and frankly why would people be excited to join it now?

Maybe they should stop blaming the fans!

The problem with the big green club is that for years it was seen as a good old boys club.

According to who? I attend Big Green functions (as I’m available) and I’ve never felt that way. Between Hamrick, the BG staff and the coaches attending, they’ve always been very inviting.

For about 3 days everyone was happy about it.
Whenever Doc wins against anyone in CUSA, even today, its all about how bad the other team is and how bad CUSA is.

Surely you can provide a quote or two to back up your claim?

Sam never does, so I figure you won’t either.

1. Then we will whither where we are. Our conference is beyond bad.

2. so then ask yourself, if your product (the Big Green) is good (you’re claiming it is) and is affordable ($60 a year is not bad) why are people not buying it? (3,500 is bad)? Why am I being raked over the coals for having the nerve to say something isn’t right here? If we have that low of a donor base for that price then there is a problem.

3. Put out a better product, more individualization for advertisers, means higher price for adds. Also, more enjoyable fan experience means more fan engagement, more fan engagement means people have a more enjoyable time at the game, when people have a more enjoyable time at games they are more willing to donate.

look at what Gonzaga has done in in Washington, without a football program. They’ve done that organically, and they’ve done that by creating a culture.

I’m not saying getting rid completely of advertising or special presentations. But when it seems like amost every single timeout someone new is on the field??? It gets lost.

According to who? I attend Big Green functions (as I’m available) and I’ve never felt that way. Between Hamrick, the BG staff and the coaches attending, they’ve always been very inviting.
I am just giving a historical perspective going back years and years ago. Way before this time.

W-S I can beat that. Been around since Charlie Kautz was AD god rest his soul (1970 plane crash). Agree MH is doing a good job but what gets me is the appearance that our facilities are not being maintained once built.

The BG does a piss poor job of communicating to the average fan or young fan.
Hence the reason we only have 3400 members. And a vast majority of those have been members for years.

1. Then we will whither where we are. Our conference is beyond bad.

2. so then ask yourself, if your product (the Big Green) is good (you’re claiming it is) and is affordable ($60 a year is not bad) why are people not buying it? (3,500 is bad)? Why am I being raked over the coals for having the nerve to say something isn’t right here? If we have that low of a donor base for that price then there is a problem.

3. Put out a better product, more individualization for advertisers, means higher price for adds. Also, more enjoyable fan experience means more fan engagement, more fan engagement means people have a more enjoyable time at the game, when people have a more enjoyable time at games they are more willing to donate.

look at what Gonzaga has done in in Washington, without a football program. They’ve done that organically, and they’ve done that by creating a culture.

I’m not saying getting rid completely of advertising or special presentations. But when it seems like amost every single timeout someone new is on the field??? It gets lost.

So to hammer your point (some are fair and could be used) you compare Marshall football to...Gonzaga basketball?

The BG does a piss poor job of communicating to the average fan or young fan.
Hence the reason we only have 3400 members. And a vast majority of those have been members for years.

I get AD e-mails at least once a week. Usually tells me of upcoming events and promotions.

Many of the younger fans use Twitter and IG, which MU does routinely post things for them as well.
I agree, much of their content could be more "Join the BG and become a member for as low as $____."

Not sure how many more e-mails you'd want from the AD and what sort of content you'd want inside.

I get AD e-mails at least once a week. Usually tells me of upcoming events and promotions.

Many of the younger fans use Twitter and IG, which MU does routinely post things for them as well.
I agree, much of their content could be more "Join the BG and become a member for as low as $____."

Not sure how many more e-mails you'd want from the AD and what sort of content you'd want inside.
They are doing such a good job that they have 3400 members! So let's say we had 10,000 members and paid Doc 2 million. Would he be any better. I doubt it.

Mediocre Mike
Dull Doc

I think I will trademark those.

I would far rather be tough than a coward.

Toughen up nancy boy and go clean the stains on the bleachers and paint the goal posts.

So to hammer your point (some are fair and could be used) you compare Marshall football to...Gonzaga basketball?

I think I know who this is now... and if it is you got me lol

If you’re being serious: Gonzaga built a culture and a love of school, and their athletics (basketball specifically) from basically nothing. They were a mid major (we are too) without a large endowment and were actually considering folding the basketball program in the 90s. Then they invest in the program, they start winning and the rest is history. Is it a perfect comp? No. But my point is they created culture(something all good athletic departments do, I’m just using them because of the mid major factor) Culture is something that Marshall lacks.

And you’re making my point. People know about the Big Green. They aren’t interested in joining. Because the product is lacking. It’s not price. And it’s not messaging (although that could use some work)... it’s the product.

For the record, I was at a football practice back in August and personally removed an 18" tree from a crack in the concrete in the chair back section. So I have done my part to maintain facilities.

With that said, the stadium should be power washed every year. I would take my power washer over and clean my own section if they would let me and gave me a place to connect a hose.

That’s the issue, we don’t reach out to anyone not already connected. We are delivering the message but it’s repeated to the same group each time.

I am speaking of the general public, the fans that purchase tickets 4/5 times a year to football games and 6/7 basketball games or so.
They may know of the BG but I am pretty confident they don’t know you can join for as little as $10 a month.

I would bet some BG members don’t know you can pay via monthly auto draft. It’s a very under utilized service they offer.

we have over 100K alumni and many of those reside in Cabell, Putnam and Kanawha Counties.

Too many still view the BG as a rich boys club.

Have tables at each home game. Pass out pamphlets to those coming in the gates.

Have a little BG Herd group for kids. Who can join for $10 and get to run on the field after the game or and get a Marco member card. Cheesy, yeah, but it’s gets them involved.

The BG always wants to hit the home run but there are hundreds more singles hitters out there. And over time those singles hitters could grow to home run hitters. Jmo

Reactions: redsfan5590
That’s the issue, we don’t reach out to anyone not already connected. We are delivering the message but it’s repeated to the same group each time.

I am speaking of the general public, the fans that purchase tickets 4/5 times a year to football games and 6/7 basketball games or so.
They may know of the BG but I am pretty confident they don’t know you can join for as little as $10 a month.

I would bet some BG members don’t know you can pay via monthly auto draft. It’s a very under utilized service they offer.

we have over 100K alumni and many of those reside in Cabell, Putnam and Kanawha Counties.

Too many still view the BG as a rich boys club.

Have tables at each home game. Pass out pamphlets to those coming in the gates.

Have a little BG Herd group for kids. Who can join for $10 and get to run on the field after the game or and get a Marco member card. Cheesy, yeah, but it’s gets them involved.

The BG always wants to hit the home run but there are hundreds more singles hitters out there. And over time those singles hitters could grow to home run hitters. Jmo

You hit the nail on the head. And just to speak more to your comment about the auto draft option, an organization like the Big Green should be pushing for everyone to use that feature. Even giving a discount on membership for those using auto draft (or giving other perks to those who do). And it should be something that is presented as option 1a for paying for your membership if you are a new member.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT