ADVERTISEMENT

"Momentous announcement" during Homecoming football game?

You hit the nail on the head. And just to speak more to your comment about the auto draft option, an organization like the Big Green should be pushing for everyone to use that feature. Even giving a discount on membership for those using auto draft (or giving other perks to those who do). And it should be something that is presented as option 1a for paying for your membership if you are a new member.

Did you clean up the "blood spot" on the bleachers in the Cam?
Come on Reds!!!!! Make your voice heard beyond here!!!
Mike Hamrick needs to know the location of your find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand 2 things:

1- I dont understand why winning CUSA only once is some kind of failure. It is hard to win conference titles, I dont care what conference you are in. Look at LSU... they are in the top 10 every year and rarely win the conference. Expecting winning the conference like 33% of the time is stupid. That is not a realistic expectation.
2- I don't understand why GoHerdMarshallYes couldn't think of a better handle. It might be the least creativity I've ever experienced.... I mean like ever

Dear GoHerdMarshallYes I’ve been a member of Big Green since the early 1970s. Emails? What emails? The only time I even hear from the Big Green is when it is time to renew season tickets and they want my donation.

Reactions: johns1124
Dear GoHerdMarshallYes I’ve been a member of Big Green since the early 1970s. Emails? What emails? The only time I even hear from the Big Green is when it is time to renew season tickets and they want my donation.

A few things:

1. Its 2019...update your info.
2. What does being a BG member since the 1970's have to do with anything? Wow, congrats you're older than I am.
3. Wow the AD is asking for donations and contacting you?
My goodness...its like they're doing the same thing every other AD does!!!!
You're posting on an online forum but complain about not getting e-mails.

Reactions: The Real SamC
GoHerd I see you are relatively new to the board - 2018. So you are now trying to compete with Sam I Am and Coach Stowers! You got a long way to go on this board and in this forum.

Big announcement: Billy Crystal to donate thousands to build the ballpark in Jack Cooks honor. Just kidding.

Did you clean up the "blood spot" on the bleachers in the Cam?
Come on Reds!!!!! Make your voice heard beyond here!!!
Mike Hamrick needs to know the location of your find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You seem really interested in the things I’ve said in the past. It’s flattering frankly.
2. You’re right I’m sure it was red paint not blood.
3. MH knows it’s there. Sent him pictures. Said he’d make sure the crew fixed it. Apologized. Went back two weeks later, it was still there. I was shocked (sarcasm)
4. You still have yet to make a good point.

1. You seem really interested in the things I’ve said in the past. It’s flattering frankly.
2. You’re right I’m sure it was red paint not blood.
3. MH knows it’s there. Sent him pictures. Said he’d make sure the crew fixed it. Apologized. Went back two weeks later, it was still there. I was shocked (sarcasm)
4. You still have yet to make a good point.

No you didn't.

This is the most unintelligent conversation I have ever had.

“No you didn’t”
“yes I did”
“no you didn’t”
“my dad could beat up your dad”.

but... I did send him pictures of it. Not that it matters.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So, does that mean that MU may be adding some type of aeronautical (sp,) or space related engineering degree to its course offerings? Could be sort of related to our planned new courses related to flying in Kanawha County and Yeager Airport, perhaps.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
the latest rumor I heard today at basketball practice is there are to be 2 astronauts in town this week and the announcement wilt be that MU and NASA are announcing a partnership of some sort
“Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars...”
That sounds great! Hope that’s what it is.

GHMY - you’re not old enough to know who made that line famous. Your generation loves that rap/hard to understand lyrics/synthesized voices shit....and yes it matters that a fellow SoM has consistently donated back to his alma mater for 40+ years! So stop trying to be the board’s opinion monitor. Leave that up to the adults....

“Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars...”
That sounds great! Hope that’s what it is.

GHMY - you’re not old enough to know who made that line famous. Your generation loves that rap/hard to understand lyrics/synthesized voices shit....and yes it matters that a fellow SoM has consistently donated back to his alma mater for 40+ years! So stop trying to be the board’s opinion monitor. Leave that up to the adults....

Sinatra wasn’t the first to record but his rendition is the most well known.
FMTTM and Summer Wind are my favorite FS tunes.

I don't understand 2 things:

1- I dont understand why winning CUSA only once is some kind of failure. It is hard to win conference titles, I dont care what conference you are in. Look at LSU... they are in the top 10 every year and rarely win the conference. Expecting winning the conference like 33% of the time is stupid. That is not a realistic expectation.

When your stated goal is to attain the access bowl slot and be among the G5 elites, then one championship in a decade in a bad conference is falling short. Boise has 4 championships in that time frame, Appalachian St has 5 (including the last 3 in a comparable conference.) Cherry picking an SEC team in the same division as Alabama is hardly comparable.

Sent MH pictures.
Everyone knows you didn't do that.
To hell with the mumble rap. It all sucks now. But I won't disallow it if it motivates an MU athlete and it is the trend for the student body. Get used to it. Get used to black being a regular color (your generation HATES that) for uniforms.
Your lack of insight wouldn't allow you to see such obvious things but thats ok, you don't know any better.
Except my generation had Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and Eminem.
But then again, your supposed superior group didn't learn the concept of asking the source and researching something, in this case, a presumption...which is why your generation absolutely sucks.
So your 40+ years of donating is threatened by the current state of MU football? Given what they had to endure prior, makes you a complete insult to the school.

When your stated goal is to attain the access bowl slot and be among the G5 elites, then one championship in a decade in a bad conference is falling short. Boise has 4 championships in that time frame, Appalachian St has 5 (including the last 3 in a comparable conference.) Cherry picking an SEC team in the same division as Alabama is hardly comparable.

So you are saying the Herd's expectations should be closer to Boise State... got it

So you are saying the Herd's expectations should be closer to Boise State... got it

Yes, they should. When you get right down to it, with the exception of the PAC 12 and CUSA every other conference has an alpha dog. Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Boise, Appy, UCF and NIU are consistently at the top of their conferences.

We should strive to be, and not be happy with less than, that alpha position in CUSA.

Yes, they should. When you get right down to it, with the exception of the PAC 12 and CUSA every other conference has an alpha dog. Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Boise, Appy, UCF and NIU are consistently at the top of their conferences.

We should strive to be, and not be happy with less than, that alpha position in CUSA.

It's unbelievable to me that you even have to defend this type of position. We play in the worst conference in the country and our own fans are seriously ok we don't expect to win it every year. We have more tradition than any other school in the conference. We have as good or better facilities than anybody else in the conference. We have a larger fan following than anyone else in the conference. More than anything, we have better recruiting classes than anybody else in the conference. Yet it took lightning in a bottle with Cato and Shuler to win CUSA. That in itself should tell people that there is something seriously wrong.

Anyways...happy Marshall won one this weekend. I have no complaints at all about the game. Hope they win out but forgive me if I expect them to follow up a good win with losing one or two games that they shouldn't.

Conference Titles Are Hard to Win. Marshall should strive to be the Alabama of CUSA!

BobPruett-Rings.jpg

It's unbelievable to me that you even have to defend this type of position. We play in the worst conference in the country and our own fans are seriously ok we don't expect to win it every year. We have more tradition than any other school in the conference. We have as good or better facilities than anybody else in the conference. We have a larger fan following than anyone else in the conference. More than anything, we have better recruiting classes than anybody else in the conference. Yet it took lightning in a bottle with Cato and Shuler to win CUSA. That in itself should tell people that there is something seriously wrong.

Anyways...happy Marshall won one this weekend. I have no complaints at all about the game. Hope they win out but forgive me if I expect them to follow up a good win with losing one or two games that they shouldn't.

So up until the last decade, I would argue that there were several teams in the ACC that had all of these things more than Clemson. Yet Clemson is the one that starting dominating. I agree about the facilities, but I don't think any recruit knows or cares about 'tradition' at Marshall. Recruits look at so many other things than tradition, especially at schools in a conference like CUSA. Boise is different- they are nationally known and have earned that through major bowl wins, and therefore when a recruit is going to that conference they know the difference in Boise than the others. When a recruit goes to CUSA, they couldn't tell you the difference in tradition between Marshall and Western Kentucky or Rice.

Again, I think the conference SHOULD be winnable most years, but EXPECTING it to happen just because they built a great IAF several years ago doesn't mean anything. So if you feel that the Herd should be winning way more conference championships, does that mean you are on the 'fire doc' side of the isle? Just curious

Reactions: pdbailey
So up until the last decade, I would argue that there were several teams in the ACC that had all of these things more than Clemson. Yet Clemson is the one that starting dominating. I agree about the facilities, but I don't think any recruit knows or cares about 'tradition' at Marshall. Recruits look at so many other things than tradition, especially at schools in a conference like CUSA. Boise is different- they are nationally known and have earned that through major bowl wins, and therefore when a recruit is going to that conference they know the difference in Boise than the others. When a recruit goes to CUSA, they couldn't tell you the difference in tradition between Marshall and Western Kentucky or Rice.

Again, I think the conference SHOULD be winnable most years, but EXPECTING it to happen just because they built a great IAF several years ago doesn't mean anything. So if you feel that the Herd should be winning way more conference championships, does that mean you are on the 'fire doc' side of the isle? Just curious

Well, not really. Clemson has had top notch facilities, tradition and fan support for a long time. Know what they were missing? A competent coach.

I think the rest of your post is pretty skewed in an attempt to make some sort of argument when you really have none. You're really going to say recruits don't know the difference between Marshall and Rice? With WKU you may have a little bit of an argument because they have had a couple of good years that include conference championships in the past five years. Nobody expects to win Conference USA championships EVERY year. I think we should expect to be in the conversation every year. We should win at least CUSA East more than two times in 10 years. That line of thinking is certainly not just because we have nice facilities. It's because of everything I said...tradition, fan support, facilities, recruiting, etc...You could even throw in history of players in the NFL, which was pretty decent for a G5 school until Doc came along. So don't just try to cherry pick facilities. It's the whole package and nobody in CUSA has a program that should compete with Marshall. Nobody has as many fans. Nobody has recruiting classes that rank as high. Nobody has better facilities. Nobody has more tradition.

Regarding Doc, I've never been a fan. There was a reason the guy never even been so much as a coordinator. Other than his recruiting reputation, Doc never had much going for him. As I stated earlier, it seems like even that hasn't helped much. We have had one of the Top 2 classes every year since Houston, UCF and the others left CUSA. Even before then we were still in the Top 3 every year except for a year we took less than 20 kids. Common sense would tell most people that top ranked talent for 10 years should lead to more than one conference championship in a league as watered down as CUSA.

But I'm sure my support will be questioned because I don't support Doc because there are people that can't tell the difference between an individual and the program. I want what is right for the football program at Marshall. Doc ain't it.

Well, not really. Clemson has had top notch facilities, tradition and fan support for a long time. Know what they were missing? A competent coach.

I think the rest of your post is pretty skewed in an attempt to make some sort of argument when you really have none. You're really going to say recruits don't know the difference between Marshall and Rice? With WKU you may have a little bit of an argument because they have had a couple of good years that include conference championships in the past five years. Nobody expects to win Conference USA championships EVERY year. I think we should expect to be in the conversation every year. We should win at least CUSA East more than two times in 10 years. That line of thinking is certainly not just because we have nice facilities. It's because of everything I said...tradition, fan support, facilities, recruiting, etc...You could even throw in history of players in the NFL, which was pretty decent for a G5 school until Doc came along. So don't just try to cherry pick facilities. It's the whole package and nobody in CUSA has a program that should compete with Marshall. Nobody has as many fans. Nobody has recruiting classes that rank as high. Nobody has better facilities. Nobody has more tradition.

Regarding Doc, I've never been a fan. There was a reason the guy never even been so much as a coordinator. Other than his recruiting reputation, Doc never had much going for him. As I stated earlier, it seems like even that hasn't helped much. We have had one of the Top 2 classes every year since Houston, UCF and the others left CUSA. Even before then we were still in the Top 3 every year except for a year we took less than 20 kids. Common sense would tell most people that top ranked talent for 10 years should lead to more than one conference championship in a league as watered down as CUSA.

But I'm sure my support will be questioned because I don't support Doc because there are people that can't tell the difference between an individual and the program. I want what is right for the football program at Marshall. Doc ain't it.

I was being a little bit sarcastic by just mentioning facilities... my point is exactly what you are saying- they had the coach at Clemson. And, as you know, fan base doesnt equate to winning. If it did, East Carolina wouldn't be a dumpster fire.

I agree about recruiting though- it should equate to wins most of the time. The problem is, and I am no expert but have heard from many people both at Marshall and WVU, that Doc is a great recruiter, but not a great coach. When you take someone with a great skill, and try to equate that to a great leader, it turns into Michael Scott- good salesman, bad everything else.

That being said.... is there a better alternative? There is always the grass is greener argument until you are in that pasture.

I was being a little bit sarcastic by just mentioning facilities... my point is exactly what you are saying- they had the coach at Clemson. And, as you know, fan base doesnt equate to winning. If it did, East Carolina wouldn't be a dumpster fire.

I agree about recruiting though- it should equate to wins most of the time. The problem is, and I am no expert but have heard from many people both at Marshall and WVU, that Doc is a great recruiter, but not a great coach. When you take someone with a great skill, and try to equate that to a great leader, it turns into Michael Scott- good salesman, bad everything else.

That being said.... is there a better alternative? There is always the grass is greener argument until you are in that pasture.

Maybe I'm missing something...without me having to read the rest of your comments...what are you arguing? I think we need to move on from Doc if we want to be one of the best G5 schools in the country. In the current CUSA, we should expect to play for a championship every year. Instead, we've played for it twice in 10 years and won one. Other years we have averaged a middle of the pack finish in the East Division. That's unacceptable.

Maybe I'm missing something...without me having to read the rest of your comments...what are you arguing? I think we need to move on from Doc if we want to be one of the best G5 schools in the country. In the current CUSA, we should expect to play for a championship every year. Instead, we've played for it twice in 10 years and won one. Other years we have averaged a middle of the pack finish in the East Division. That's unacceptable.

My point is thinking that the Herd should automatically be the best team in the conference every year is asinine... no conference works that way. Florida State and Miami used to be the top, now its Clemson... Michigan used to be the best and now they suck every year... Alabama had a long run of not being the best in the SEC.. Texas has BY FAR the most money, fans, facilities and recruiting in the Big 12, and yet Oklahoma eats them up for the last decade or more. USC used to dominate, as UCLA was dominant too.. now its Oregon or no one. The point is there is no sustaining dominance, so getting rid of Doc might be a nice short term solution, but long term you can't expect to just be automatically playing for conference titles every year because "we should be"..

Thats not how it works

Reactions: pdbailey

you can’t let fear of the pasture not being greener keep you from making a change. I’d be happy to take a flyer on a another coach and if he’s not successful, move on after 2-3 years and try again.

Reactions: MarshallManiac
My point is thinking that the Herd should automatically be the best team in the conference every year is asinine... no conference works that way. Florida State and Miami used to be the top, now its Clemson... Michigan used to be the best and now they suck every year... Alabama had a long run of not being the best in the SEC.. Texas has BY FAR the most money, fans, facilities and recruiting in the Big 12, and yet Oklahoma eats them up for the last decade or more. USC used to dominate, as UCLA was dominant too.. now its Oregon or no one. The point is there is no sustaining dominance, so getting rid of Doc might be a nice short term solution, but long term you can't expect to just be automatically playing for conference titles every year because "we should be"..

Thats not how it works

You realize that your entire statement is apples to oranges right? Clemson has peers that are equal across the board except for perhaps recruiting and coaching. Michigan would've probably won the Big 10 a couple times if it wasn't for Ohio State who is the alpha of that conference and has been for a long long time. Texas is not BY FAR superior to Oklahoma in any way. They have peers that are very close to them in every category we've talked about. Who, in the PAC 12, has it better than Oregon? Literally every example you just listed is completely different than what Marshall deals with in CUSA. Money is just about the only category where Marshall may be outmatched in CUSA. Again...facilities, recruiting, tradition, fan support....there is no other school close to Marshall especially in CUSA East. You could make an argument for Southern Miss but they are in the West.

Very simply, for what we have at Marshall we are severely underachieving.

Reactions: caliherd

Thats not how it works

I agree. Its expected that MU can win the conference every year, but once more, outside of WKU, nobody's been able to repeat. Hell, nobody's been back to the championship game in a while that "should" be there.
Not sure if its a positive, but I imagine plenty of fans of other conferences would legitimately want a conference of P5's that has had so much unpredictability...teams seemingly emerge out of nowhere to play in the championship game.

Also, if you fired someone, you run the risk of being USM or WKU...where it takes years to rebuild and throw in coaches, once more, looking out for themselves, winning just enough to be hired elsewhere and not at the wins level MU fans expect/want.
...and if you get a REALLY bad coaching hire? Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT