ADVERTISEMENT

Monitoring deposits over $600

Must be your bank. I was told it was a government rule to prevent drug dealer from depositing large amounts of drug cash.
Which makes it difficult for the honest hard working drug dealers.

Banks seem to have some leeway on some of these transactions. Probably helps if it's a smaller bank where they likely know some of the people they're doing business with.

I just opened a new account at one bank because the other bank would not let me deposit a check made out to my business (sole proprietorship) into my personal account. I asked the bank if they would simply add my business name to the existing account since I already have several automatic payments coming out of it and the card is on file with several of my suppliers. They said no, I'd have to open a new account. So I did, with another bank that allows me to deposit those checks written to my business into my personal account.

But the real straw that broke the camels back is when I went to that first bank to get a loan for a truck. I did the paper work and was told I'd have my money later that day or at the latest the next day. I called them later on that first day and they said it would be the next before they could process the transaction. Second day there was another excuse and on the 3rd day I was told I was denied the loan. In order to expedite the transaction since I wanted to buy this vehicle before it was sold to someone else, I had told the bank on the first day I went there that they could use some of the money in my savings account as collateral if that would help move matters quickly. On the 4th day, I went to another bank and had the money for the truck in my hands within 45 minutes. Go figure.

EG - you sound like all the neocons when Patriot Act was being pushed though - "what are you worried about if you have nothing to hide?"

I'm incredibly careful about taxes and pay a ton. I don't ever stretch the rules. The mother of all tail risks is the IRS at your door. I could probably do some more gray area deductions but I don't.

I'm very uncomfortable with the IRS knowing what is in my bank account though.

maybe I need to start looking into those indian reservation banks, I wonder if they're exempt from this stuff.
The IRS already knows how much you have in your accounts if they want that info.

Sounds like more being scared of stuff that won't happen.

I get kind of sick with Republicans picking this stuff, guns and God or whatever. Even the mask. Republicans are afraid of losing this stuff and being forced to wear masks, etc. Nobody comes to get their guns or God, but then they buy into the bird flu enough to wear a mask anyway.

This $600 thing isn't happening though, but if it was I'd just say I always wanted to tell someone how much money I had anyway. But I've always been scared to.

It's not that much, but it's what I wasted my life stashing away. Blowing it now on overpriced everything, but I saved up some. Hell it's probably nothing, but for a poor pile of shit from a hole in the ground it seems like something. 2 week Wal Mart shopping spree for dumbass relatives probably.

Which makes it difficult for the honest hard working drug dealers.

Banks seem to have some leeway on some of these transactions. Probably helps if it's a smaller bank where they likely know some of the people they're doing business with.

I just opened a new account at one bank because the other bank would not let me deposit a check made out to my business (sole proprietorship) into my personal account. I asked the bank if they would simply add my business name to the existing account since I already have several automatic payments coming out of it and the card is on file with several of my suppliers. They said no, I'd have to open a new account. So I did, with another bank that allows me to deposit those checks written to my business into my personal account.

But the real straw that broke the camels back is when I went to that first bank to get a loan for a truck. I did the paper work and was told I'd have my money later that day or at the latest the next day. I called them later on that first day and they said it would be the next before they could process the transaction. Second day there was another excuse and on the 3rd day I was told I was denied the loan. In order to expedite the transaction since I wanted to buy this vehicle before it was sold to someone else, I had told the bank on the first day I went there that they could use some of the money in my savings account as collateral if that would help move matters quickly. On the 4th day, I went to another bank and had the money for the truck in my hands within 45 minutes. Go figure.
So you are mixing business money with personal accounts? Better ask and accountant about that. I know there are rules about that.

I am sure libertarians are for this, hey monitor all my deposits of $600 or more going into the bank.
I'm not too concerned about aggregate reporting. I am more concerned about free riders and money laundering involving nefarious activities. Have I grumbled about forms and shit when making a large deposit? Sure.

I've known more than a few people whose "side gigs" turned into real money. All cash.

But none of this changes the fact that it's a bunch of crying wolf....still no Antichrist, and still no communism. Meanwhile no one seems to give a shit about digital privacy, and that is a very real problem that is getting worse.

Must be your bank. I was told it was a government rule to prevent drug dealer from depositing large amounts of drug cash.
I think the bank has to report it, but I’ve never had to do anything extra.

If anybody is depositing or withdrawing 10k or more then your bank is sending an 8300 form to the IRS and they’re, to one extent or another, checking to see where that money came from and where it ends up.

Also keep in mind that breaking the deposit down to be less than 10k just to get around reporting is called Structuring and is a crime.

No comment on if any of that is just or not, just telling you to protect yourself from the laws that exist.

How does it hurt the kid if his $600 is monitored? You think that's going to trigger an IRS audit?

What about the guy that mows lawns all summer and makes 25 deposits of $1000 for a gross income of $25,000 but owns two new vehicles, a $400,000 home, and sends his 2 kids to private school?
How did the guy qualify for the loan for the home and cars? Or are you suggesting that he paid cash for the $400,000 house?

either way, the IRS would already have a way of monitoring that. If he got a loan he had to provide proof of income. Since he is self employed that would require tax returns. Those tax returns are checked against those filed with the IRS to make sure they are legit. If they don’t match, he’s busted.

If he paid cash, that also would have been reported. Any transaction over $10,000 that you do with cash is automatically reported to the IRS/Treasury department. Banks, car dealerships, etc are all required to file paperwork on large cash transactions.

all this was established under the Patriot Act. This is taking the Patriot Act, which was designed to catch terrorist funding and drug cartels, and modifying it to go after regular American citizens.

The best thing about absolute power though over us all would be the ability to complain about it.

If they shoot you for complaining, double bonus. Bring it on. I have really been neglectful in my duties of complaining about how much these rules blow. Masks blow. You can't even blow very hard when you're wearing one. Must suck for the whores trying to still make an easy buck, but hell they probably get more on welfare now than they do on blowing.

What about the guy that mows lawns all summer and makes 25 deposits of $1000 for a gross income of $25,000 but owns two new vehicles, a $400,000 home, and sends his 2 kids to private school?
$25k buys two new vehicles, a $400k house and sends two kids to private school???

Just when you think you can't post anything dumber than the last you go and do it...

How did the guy qualify for the loan for the home and cars? Or are you suggesting that he paid cash for the $400,000 house?

either way, the IRS would already have a way of monitoring that. If he got a loan he had to provide proof of income. Since he is self employed that would require tax returns. Those tax returns are checked against those filed with the IRS to make sure they are legit. If they don’t match, he’s busted.

If he paid cash, that also would have been reported. Any transaction over $10,000 that you do with cash is automatically reported to the IRS/Treasury department. Banks, car dealerships, etc are all required to file paperwork on large cash transactions.

all this was established under the Patriot Act. This is taking the Patriot Act, which was designed to catch terrorist funding and drug cartels, and modifying it to go after regular American citizens.
A bank can file a SARS on transactions far less than $10k.
If your lender sells directly to Fannie, the borrower isn’t required to provide their returns. And if you don’t think borrowers push back against providing just two months of bank statements due to privacy concerns, ask any lender. But that’s for a single transaction which they can take or leave it (loan) if they don’t like it. Opening up your personal accounts 24/7 is a major privacy concern. Something tells me those who support this wouldn’t have an issue with govy getting free reign into your calls, texts, & browser history

All the tax cheats wish you and 98 were in charge of the IRS. Idiot.
maxresdefault.jpg

A bank can file a SARS on transactions far less than $10k.
If your lender sells directly to Fannie, the borrower isn’t required to provide their returns. And if you don’t think borrowers push back against providing just two months of bank statements due to privacy concerns, ask any lender. But that’s for a single transaction which they can take or leave it (loan) if they don’t like it. Opening up your personal accounts 24/7 is a major privacy concern. Something tells me those who support this wouldn’t have an issue with govy getting free reign into your calls, texts, & browser history
Correct me if I’m wrong but this isn’t opening up personal accounts 24/7, is it? This is an annual report to the IRS on what accounts had a net change of over $600, with the beginning and ending balance, from my reading.

How is it cheating for a sole proprietor to have a single checking account for both business and personal transactions? Phlegmwad.
Just like you, it is wrong on so many counts...

Just when you think you can't post anything dumber than the last you go and do it...

That's the problem, idiot. The IRS doesn't have the funding to check tax payer's math. To the tune of about half a trillion per year.

Sometimes individuals, companies and agencies need to work smarter, not harder. But since being smarter is lost on you I'm not surprised that is lost on you...

Says the guy who says it is appropriate to commingle personal and business funds...

I asked you a simple question, but as usual your inability to comprehend is obvious. Maybe you need someone to read the following and explain the question to you....

How is it cheating for a sole proprietor to have a single checking account for both business and personal transactions?

Dimwit.

Correct me if I’m wrong but this isn’t opening up personal accounts 24/7, is it? This is an annual report to the IRS on what accounts had a net change of over $600, with the beginning and ending balance, from my reading.
Not from the alerts we’re receiving.

Gubment spends millions on printing cash & counterfeiting measures only to effing despise its own citizens when they actually use it to live their life.
Say you’re taking a date out of town or going a on golfing weekend. Pulling $600 (or more) in cash to have on hand is not unreasonable by any stretch. By either luck or hospitality, you manage to come back with the exact same amount of cash, $600. Guess what happens when you deposit that exact same $600?

How is it cheating for a sole proprietor to have a single checking account for both business and personal transactions?
Just the easiest way possible to hide business income from the Feds

then again, let’s not get carried away by calling your “business” a real “business”.

I asked you a simple question, but as usual your inability to comprehend is obvious. Maybe you need someone to read the following and explain the question to you....

Talk about comprehension... I believe you directed that question to @raleighherdfan instead of me. I however responded that it was wrong on so many counts and provided three specific sources to illustrate that. I also said it was inappropriate, which it is, as in not proper in a later post. To expand on my use of inappropriate it is universally accepted to not be proper accounting to commingle funds. When or where did I say it was cheating?

That's the problem, idiot. The IRS doesn't have the funding to check tax payer's math. To the tune of about half a trillion per year.

People that commingle funds, like you apparently do, significantly slow down the audit process, waste precious resources - time, manpower and money - and limit the IRS's ability to do more audits of people that might actually be tax cheats.

Much of the IRS inefficiencies have to do with antiquated computer platforms that aren't integrated to other departments and government agencies that would help ensure taxpayer compliance. What did Obama/Biden and their appointees do during their 8 years in the White House?

Let's now take a look at the IRS modernization plan from 2019. Hmmm, who was in the White House then???

Just the easiest way possible to hide business income from the Feds

then again, let’s not get carried away by calling your “business” a real “business”.
Hey phlegmwad

You and MUcous must have the same interpreter. The question, again, was "How is it cheating for a sole proprietor to have a single checking account for both business and personal transactions?"

The question, again, was "How is it cheating for a sole proprietor to have a single checking account for both business and personal transactions?"

Talk about a waste of time... READ idiot!!!

Talk about comprehension... I believe you directed that question to @raleighherdfan instead of me. I however responded that it was wrong on so many counts and provided three specific sources to illustrate that. I also said it was inappropriate, which it is, as in not proper in a later post. To expand on my use of inappropriate it is universally accepted to not be proper accounting to commingle funds. When or where did I say it was cheating?

People that commingle funds, like you apparently do, significantly slow down the audit process, waste precious resources - time, manpower and money - and limit the IRS's ability to do more audits of people that might actually be tax cheats.

Reactions: Jartard
$25k buys two new vehicles, a $400k house and sends two kids to private school???

Can you read between the lines. Lots of unreported income. Nobody who works in a cash business reports all they make. Waitress that gets 250 dollars in tips in a night reports all the credit card tips and pockets the cash tips without reporting. Lawn mowing is also a cash business.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Can you read between the lines.

Can you do the math?

It was a bad example and I'm not debating the cash economy. Were these funds deposited into personal or business accounts? If personal there is an aggregate amount to look at regarding suspicious activity reports. The IRS isn't doing much with the $10k reportable transactions. How can they do much with $600 transactions being reported. This isn't a practical measure - can you see that??? It is a feel good measure that could open a pandora's box for government abuse, much less the increased cost and burden it will put on financial institutions and businesses, both large and small.

EG is correct, he is not doing anything illegal. Not best practices? Sure. Unwise? Maybe.

Raleigh is incorrect that it is the easiest way to hide income. Straight cash homey is the easiest way. The second easiest is cryptocurrency. When money touches an actual bank, it ain't the easiest to hide anymore.

EG is correct, he is not doing anything illegal. Not best practices? Sure. Unwise? Maybe.

Sigh... I don't think anyone specifically said he was doing anything illegal but he was accusing many others of being tax cheats. Not best practices? Absolutely. Unwise? Absolutely as well. I don't know where your "maybe" comes from.

Raleigh is incorrect that it is the easiest way to hide income. Straight cash homey is the easiest way. The second easiest is cryptocurrency. When money touches an actual bank, it ain't the easiest to hide anymore.

Putting cash money in the bank, albeit in $1,000 increments, was EG's argument in favor of the $600 cash reporting that started this whole discussion. So he was the one originally incorrect according to your logic.

BTW if you are so dead set against the cash economy how come you give illegal immigration such a pass???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT