ADVERTISEMENT

MoviePass

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
Any of you have this? I have had it for a couple of months and love it. It is basically Netflix for going to the actual movies.

You pay a monthly fee of $9.95. It can be canceled at any time. It allows you to see any movie you want for free at the theaters (one movie max per day). So, if you see one movie a month, you make your money back. It's well worth it. You can check on their webpage and app to make sure the theaters around you accept it.I haven't found a theater that I've wanted to go to that isn't on there.

How it works:
You sign up on their app and pay the $9.95 charge. They mail you a MoviePass debit card. You go on their app and select what movie/theater/time you want to go to (or just go to the theater when you want to see a movie and open the app). Once you select the movie/location/time, you then just hand the theater employee the debit card that pays for the movie (or use their automated ticket machine).

The theaters don't mind because they still get paid for each ticket by MoviePass. Skeptics are claiming that MoviePass will either go out of business by not turning a profit from such a low monthly cost, will have to quickly increase the cost, and that theaters will lose business in the long run once people get used to paying $9.95 for unlimited movies and then not want to pay that same price for just one movie when MoviePass goes under. But MoviePass' biggest investment is from a data analytics firm. They are using your data (when and where you go to the movies, etc.) to sell to other local companies that think they can get your business from your trips to the movies.

Costco has an offer right now where you can get a full year of this for $89 . . . you also get a full year of a streaming movie subscription site. $89 for unlimited movies for a year isn't a bad deal.

Since lowering the price to $9.95, MoviePass hasn't been able to keep up with all of the customer service questions/complaints, so there are quite a few complaints with it so far. But once you get the card, you should be good to go.

That sounds awesome. I'm going to check it out. I have a family of 4, and we go to at least one movie per month.

A couple of my friends have Moviepass and really like it.

I think it will be fine and the theatres are benefitting from it. Moviepass is probably getting huge discounts on the tickets because they are bringing people to the theatres. The theatres are making more money because all of their profit comes from concessions anyway.

That sounds awesome. I'm going to check it out. I have a family of 4, and we go to at least one movie per month.
I looked into this for a family. It is a pain unless they all have a mobile device. You need the pass, and you also need a device. Based on reviews, the ability to log out and log another family member in on that device is a pain. You could be standing at the kiosk at a theater for up to 30 minutes to get everyone a ticket.

Discovery ID channel, along with ball games on TV is enough for me. That, and Fox News. I won't be supporting Hollyweird by going to their movies and/or purchasing their movies via another outlet.

Piss on that bunch.

Reactions: 19MU88
Pee wee has turned out a pretty good actor. I watched in Blow with johnny Deep.Sounds good rifle

I looked into this for a family. It is a pain unless they all have a mobile device. You need the pass, and you also need a device. Based on reviews, the ability to log out and log another family member in on that device is a pain. You could be standing at the kiosk at a theater for up to 30 minutes to get everyone a ticket.

Sorry to hear that. Get your giant fvcking strollers out of my way the next time that I’m at Disney, and then maybe I’ll have some sympathy that you couldn’t get a discount for your snot-nosed little brats to ruin my movie experience.

I smuggle all that shit in. I’m fvcked if they ever do a search

I Got busted one time . Guy took our tickets and said concessions are that way my son said we don't need any. my dad has ours in his pockets.

I had stopped at the dollar store and loaded my cargo pockets up.

Reactions: thunderscope
I Got busted one time . Guy took our tickets and said concessions are that way my son said we don't need any. my dad has ours in his pockets.

Is your kid Sistersville? Seems like some shit he’d do

Sorry to hear that. Get your giant fvcking strollers out of my way the next time that I’m at Disney, and then maybe I’ll have some sympathy that you couldn’t get a discount for your snot-nosed little brats to ruin my movie experience.

Yeah, that single man peaceful stroller-less Disney experience is one you don't want ruined.

Yeah, that single man peaceful stroller-less Disney experience is one you don't want ruined.

Agreed. It’s even worse at Epcot. The college girls play a game called “Around the World,” in which the challenge is to have a drink from every country represented at Epcot. There were numerous times when an inebriated coed was well on her way to come home with me, only to then get rammed by a double-stroller landing her in the hospital for stitches.

Agreed. It’s even worse at Epcot. The college girls play a game called “Around the World,” in which the challenge is to have a drink from every country represented at Epcot. There were numerous times when an inebriated coed was well on her way to come home with me, only to then get rammed by a double-stroller landing her in the hospital for stitches.

That's on her.

Should have ducked and jived around the Uppababy 3000 delux to get the real ramming she really wanted.

I got clipped by one of those double strollers near the haunted house at Disney. Dumb beotch was running while pushing her kids trying to get to another ride. Next thing I know I am up in the the air. Took my legs right out from under me.

They should outlaw those bastards. Foldable umbrella stroller or nothing. That is what we did. Some of these damn strollers are as big as a Volkswagen. Why the hell do you need that? What are they hauling in these strollers? Hauling around a 30 day supply of diapers and clothes? A Yeti cooler full of formula? Then you get on the bus or the tram and they are tyring to fold that bastard up and shit flying everywhere. Damn things have off road wheels on them. You don't need all that shit.

Unfortunately Hollywood puts out nothing but garbage movies these days. Nothing but regurgitated comic book movies and superheroes. I can't do it. I used to love going to the movies. I went at least once per week, and sometimes 2 or 3 times.

Discovery ID channel, along with ball games on TV is enough for me. That, and Fox News. I won't be supporting Hollyweird by going to their movies and/or purchasing their movies via another outlet.

Piss on that bunch.
Aren't you the one that thought the safest place to hide from a gay man in the mall was the Stuff a Bear Playhouse?

I'm happy I never went Trick or Treating at your house.

Unfortunately Hollywood puts out nothing but garbage movies these days. Nothing but regurgitated comic book movies and superheroes. I can't do it. I used to love going to the movies. I went at least once per week, and sometimes 2 or 3 times.

Agree, and the major theaters only play that garbage. I live about 25 minutes from a hipster city, and there are a handful of theaters that play highly rated independent movies every night. They are the old-school movie house type of theaters where they don't put up with any bullshit- no talking, no texting, etc.

A couple of days ago, I saw "Leave No Trace" there. It is one of the few movies that has a 100% rating by critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Right when the credits started playing, a theater employee came out in front of the screen and introduced the star of the movie who took questions from the audience. A couple of weeks earlier, I saw "Damsel" there. When the credits started, the musicians who scored the movie (and who also were the band in a scene in the movie) did the same.

There have been some really good movies that I have seen over the last few months that weren't widely released nationwide: "Darkest Hour" (Winston Churchill), "The Disaster Artist," "RBG," "Tully," "Won't You Be My Neighbor," "Three Identical Strangers," and "No Trace" were all solid. I saw "Eighth Grade" a few days ago and had really high expectations of it due to the reviews it had, but I thought it was an average movie with great acting.

I don't like sci-fi, but I enjoyed these two movies that bordered on it: "Upgrade" and "Hotel Artemis."

Other than the comic book/overly action movies, I think I have seen just about everything that has been in nationwide theaters over the last six months. I'm going to see "The Equalizer 2" tonight, not because I think it will be great, but because I think it will be entertaining enough and the theater two miles from me has phenomenal seats, screens, and food/drinks/service.

Do you think they are going to pull through?

No. They are past the point of desperation now. They have now started charging between $3-$5 per movie during peak times. Peak times are just about any movie Thursday night through Sunday. They need to try it to make cash, but I don't think they will make enough from that to cover their monthly losses, plus it's going to lead to people canceling the subscriptions.

I just went through my history on the app, and I have seen 77 movies since the end of last football season. So 77 movies for $70 that I have spent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT