ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: Total Bloodbath at ESPN

What problems? Everything's paid for. Don't even have to work.

There's nothing else to accomplish. The mountain has been scaled. Put down the cans and enjoy the view.

Oh, you're hiring kids from the 'hood without a high school degree? Interesting. Let me know what positions and how many you are hiring

yes. I am hiring many minority kids (aka -teenagers) without high school degrees. We've hired hundreds over the years we've been in business. One of my businesses is fairly close to Durham NC and not far from one of the poorest and roughest high schools in the region. We've done the same in Charlotte. My business partner and I take a lot of pride in giving some of these kids a chance to learn entry job and work skills. We've even provided a few of them who have shown tremendous work ethic, drive, and academic effort a portion of college tuition once they graduate H.S.

I know this reality greatly frustrates your kind.

You think it is bigoted to claim that they have a slim chance of making it out? Tell me this - who do you put more money on going to college and/or earning a college degree:

Yes. It's bigoted. Also, who says going to college is necessary in order to "make it out"? The reality is, college isn't for everyone, and I've never suggested it was, in order for one to make their lives the version of success they dream to have. Who says a kid with a poor upbringing has to be a doctor or lawyer in order to achieve an opportunity to "get out"?
Who do you think has a better chance? Is it bigoted to think that Tyler Whiteman has a better chance at success? Of course it isn't. It is based on having the resources to be successful. One of them does, one of them doesn't.

Again, yes. Predetermining "success" based on one's upbringing, *cough* "resources" *cough*(especially in this conversation of WHERE the upbringing occurred) is bigoted (and racist). I've known some "Tyler Whitemans" that turned into huge pieces of shit as adults, and I've known some "Jermain Blackmans" that worked their ass off, saved every dime from multiple part time jobs, started a business in their 30's and became wealthy. Another reality that your kind downplays as virtually impossible....but occurs despite the odds you present.

It is that they don't have that mentor to learn from nor the resources to make it happen.

Again, again, again...until the person decides they want to make a change and decides to take a different route, mentors most likely wont be available. Once the decision is made to "get out", mentors are everywhere with their example. This is my belief and experience that the concept of a mentor can take on many forms. It simply doesn't have to be a one to one personal relationship in the beginning. Many of my earliest examples of success ("mentors") were found in autobiographies, biographies, business magazines, etc. As I stated in my first post, its the habits, thoughts, routines of successful individuals that are easily found, copied and begin the change of one's life down a different path. Libraries are free. The biggest "resource" to learning success?? Google. The profiles of individual success are at everyone's finger tips with a simple search. Not surprisingly, all of the underprivileged youth that have worked for me, seemed to have some level of access to mobile/internet.

Who says a kid with a poor upbringing has to be a doctor or lawyer in order to achieve an opportunity to "get out"?

Congratulations on skipping the "etc." part to try and prove a non-existent point which has never been in contention.

Again, yes. Predetermining "success" based on one's upbringing, *cough* "resources" *cough*(especially in this conversation of WHERE the upbringing occurred) is bigoted (and racist).

I know it is only the first of the month, but I am nominating this post as my entry for the dumbest post of May.

You claim that it is bigoted to say that a white male (two advantages in today's society) from a very successful and wealthy family with married parents (two huge advantages in today's society) who goes to a great, private school (big advantage) has a far opportunity to succeed than a black male (disadvantage in today's society) from a very poor, single-family house (two disadvantages in today's society) who goes to a very under-performing public school in a violent area (two disadvantages)?

Fvck May, that may be the dumbest post all of 2017! If the first child described doesn't have a much better chance at success, why would parents spend so much money trying to live in areas with public school? Spending tens of thousands for great private schools? Do you not think being white in society is a big advantage? Do you not think being male is a big advantage? Having all of those advantages over somebody who comes from the total opposite makes that person have a much better chance at success in life. Calling that "bigoted" makes me wonder if you went to a DC public school.

There are a lot of morons on this board, but you won't find a single one who will support your stance on this.

I've known some "Tyler Whitemans" that turned into huge pieces of shit as adults, and I've known some "Jermain Blackmans" that worked their ass off, saved every dime from multiple part time jobs, started a business in their 30's and became wealthy. Another reality that your kind downplays as virtually impossible....but occurs despite the odds you present.

No shit. You're telling me that there are some kids from great backgrounds with all of the advantages in life who amount to nothing? Shocker!

No shit part II. You're telling me that there are some kids from awful backgrounds with a ton of disadvantages that find a way to be successful?

Nobody is claiming that there aren't a small minority in each of those groups who buck the trend. What statistics show is that people that have a bunch of disadvantages are far less likely to succeed than those with a ton of advantages; those disadvantages include being a racial minority, a gender minority, coming from areas with very bad schools, coming from economically disadvantaged areas, coming from a bad home life, coming from areas with a high crime rate . . . many of those things go hand-in-hand. Stating that blacks who fit multiple categories above aren't as likely to succeed as those who don't face disadvantages isn't bigotry or racism at all.

Again, congratulations on making what may possibly be the dumbest post of 2017.

Again, again, again...until the person decides they want to make a change and decides to take a different route, mentors most likely wont be available. Once the decision is made to "get out", mentors are everywhere with their example. This is my belief and experience that the concept of a mentor can take on many forms. It simply doesn't have to be a one to one personal relationship in the beginning. Many of my earliest examples of success ("mentors") were found in autobiographies, biographies, business magazines, etc. As I stated in my first post, its the habits, thoughts, routines of successful individuals that are easily found, copied and begin the change of one's life down a different path. Libraries are free. The biggest "resource" to learning success?? Google. The profiles of individual success are at everyone's finger tips with a simple search. Not surprisingly, all of the underprivileged youth that have worked for me, seemed to have some level of access to mobile/internet.

Again, you're so out of touch with reality that it's shocking. I am going on a vacation tomorrow, so I will take the time to write my long post now using some of the examples you listed above to show just how far out of touch you are . . . and how institutional racism is the biggest factor against blacks today.

This will probably be a hypocrite nation record:

This is institutional racism. This is why blacks face a severe disadvantage in society today. When you couple all of the instances of institutional racism (which blacks face on a daily basis) with individual cases of racism by people (which isn’t as prevalent, but still frequently exists), it becomes a barrier to success.

Many studies show that public schools in black neighborhoods are severely underfunded compared to schools in white neighborhoods. The money per student is far lower in inner cities than just a handful of miles away in wealthier parts of a city and the suburbs. The teacher/student ratio is worse, the textbooks are outdated and damaged, the actual buildings are lacking in proper facilities/equipment, computers/internet are many times non-existent or don’t always work, and many times, due to this, the most talented teachers go to better schools. I don't think even the most foolish and uneducated among us would argue against those things hurting students. In other words, all of those things work against giving blacks in those schools the same educational experience as whites in their schools (likewise, the same holds true in poor Appalachian areas full of whites). So, these black students are already behind in education. As a result, blacks are going to test lower than whites (this isn’t a genetic thing, it is simply based on the funding and quality of education each area receives). So, assume two high school seniors apply to the same college. One is a white male who went to a public school in a very wealthy area with beautiful facilities, brand new textbooks, the best teachers and tutors, parents as alums, and a safe environment. Then, assume a black female (we will call her “Toya”) from inner city DC also applies to that same college. Her public school was very unsafe, didn’t have heat half of the time in winter, had textbooks which were decades old with outdated information and missing many pages, incompetent teachers, and no science/computer labs or equipment. The white male scored 1300 on his SATs and had a GPA of 3.6. The black female scored a 1280 on her SATs and had a GPA of 3.6. Assuming all of their extracurricular and other factors were equal, who do you think is more deserving? If ignoring those things, which many are trying to do in this thread, the white male should be accepted first based on his higher combined SAT and GPA. But, knowing the backgrounds and challenges each faced (which I drastically simplified for your sake), the black female had a far better accomplishment. Not taking race into account (affirmative action), which many states have banned, has led to drastic declines in black enrollment.

Institutional racism: Let’s continue with the previous example with the schooling inequalities. Toya grew up in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. It is an area with high poverty, high number of government subsidized housing (projects), a high crime rate, and a high percentage of minorities. Toya was born when her father was 18. The high school had had gone to had a brief health class, but due to not having the funding, they didn’t have a real health class like most high schools. Toya’s father and mother didn’t realize that condoms aren’t 100% effective since they never had a health instructor teach them those types of things.

Toya’s father had trouble getting a legitimate job due to lack of education (we will show why lack of education happens). As a result, to support his family, he turns to selling crack. While walking down the street and not doing anything suspicious, the police stop-and-frisk him. Now, again, he hasn’t done anything wrong or suspicious, but this law allowed cops to stop-and-frisk anyone they wanted. He was targeted because he was a younger black male. He had no prior arrest record, but they found crack on him in a few different small baggies. Even though he had just a small amount, the laws at the time gave him a mandatory 15 year sentence. Of course, cocaine which was favored by whites didn’t have nearly as harsh sentencing guidelines. So, due to institutional racism, Toya’s dad is locked up until she is at least 16. An already tough upbringing was about to get much tougher.

Still, Toya persevered. Toya tried taking advantage of the few opportunities she had; public libraries, internet access, etc. However, due to being in a single-family situation (thanks institutional racism) and with a mother who didn’t earn much (thanks institutional racism which resulted in bad schooling), Toya didn’t have much to work with. Her family couldn’t afford a car (thanks institutional racism), so she had to take public transportation to places like the public library. I will later touch upon the issues with this involved with institutional racism. She loved getting online and learning, but the internet provider had very little reason to fix all of the internet outages in the neighborhood. Even though they had a higher population per square mile than most other places, they didn’t get much revenue from the area because people couldn’t afford $60/month for internet. So, the internet connection was outdated and slow, and the many times it went out took weeks for a response from the provider to fix. Thanks institutional racism (it isn’t the internet provider’s fault that they are following the money; it is rooted far before that with the other institutional racism). Still, Toya had a respectable GPA but below average test scores (yet they were fairly high for her school).

Due, in large part, to a huge disadvantage in schooling, Toya didn’t have the same opportunity at success. So, she was bypassed for college entrance while the white male was accepted. Toya then tried to get into the workforce. Of course it was hard to apply for jobs due to the lack of working internet she had. She went to the public library, but that wasn’t always easy. One, it costs money which she doesn’t have (thanks institutional racism), but the transit in her area is awful (will get to that). However, she was able to send applications out.

Studies have shown that people with white sounding names are 50% more likely to be given interviews than people with black sounding names. So, she has trouble even getting an interview. When she finally is given one, at Denny’s, she works out a schedule to make sure she gets there on time via public transit. However, the train shows up 25 minutes late, then the connecting bus is also late. Anyone who has lived in any major city knows that public transportation is far more on time, far better serviced, and far more reliable in better (read: whiter) neighborhoods. That is because public money is spent more in better neighborhoods than poorer neighborhoods. Why? Well, politicians allocate the money. Politicians want to make the voters happy. Voter turnout tends to be far higher in white areas than blacks. Why? Well, there are a few reasons. First, poor areas result in people having to work more than one job. So, time to get off to vote is harder in those areas. Further, polling locations tend to be far more accessible in better neighborhoods. If there are more locations in better areas, it means the poorer areas result in longer travel. Of course, those poorer neighborhoods also have the previously discussed poor transit, so they have even longer waits. Then, since they don’t have as many polling locations, the wait in line is longer. But, it doesn’t stop there. In order to vote, you have to have certain, specific types of identification. In order to get those IDs, you have to travel somewhere. We’ve gone over why this is a problem. Further, those IDs cost money. If blacks areas aren’t given equal schooling, aren’t given equal opportunity to interview for jobs, and are paid at lower rates (just like women are for the same work as men), then the cost of IDs and travel is a barrier for them to vote (don’t worry, the Supreme Court has ruled on this). As a result, blacks don’t vote as much, politicians cater to their voters, so politicians allocate more money to those areas . . . including how public transit is done. Does that make politicians racist? No, they are just trying to get the most votes they can. Does it make the head of the department of transportation racist for having better service in better areas? Nope. He is simply trying to make those who vote for his boss happy. All of the things in that paragraph can be tracked back to institutional racism. It shows how so many factors add up to create barriers to success against blacks based on longstanding institutional racism.

After all of that, Toya getis to her interview at Denny’s. But, instead of the job she applied for (manager and/or waitress and/or host), she is only offered a dishwashing position. She doesn’t understand why, as all of the whites who are employed there as managers, waiters, and hosts have less experience and less education than she does. Well, it then comes out that Denny’s had a policy to not hire blacks in positions where they would have interaction with customers. That means the black female is given an inferior job and earns less money. By the way, in the 90s, Denny’s agreed to pay over $132 million in a settlement for doing exactly what I just used as an example: they had a policy not to hire blacks in positions where they would interact with customers (which includes managers, hosts, and waiters). This stuff continues to happen around the country.

Now, Toya has a job. But, it doesn’t pay much (thanks, discrimination in many forms). Luckily, she was given a condo by her grandmother before she passed, so she can live in that. However, that area is going through gentrification. Politicians, in catering to voters (again, we showed why whites vote at a higher rate), raised local taxes. They did this knowing that the previous residents wouldn’t be able to afford property taxes, so whites are able to move into those neighborhoods which are starting to improve. So, she has to move to a location a greater distance away from work. Therefore, she has to spend more money to take public transit from a greater distance. She finds a condo across the border in Maryland and applies for a loan. However, the mortgage company doesn’t approve her because her income is too low. Why is it too low? Start at the beginning- she came from a single-parent family due to institutional racism in criminal laws and education, she faced inferior schooling, she had to spend more for public transit for inferior service, she has a black sounding name so she was given 50% lower interview opportunities, she was then refused higher paying jobs because Denny’s didn’t want blacks having interaction with customers, then gentrification in her neighborhood . . . but whites with the same income were approved for the same mortgage amount that she was denied. Why? Well, mortgage companies have to secure their investment. Their records show that blacks default more on loans than whites, so their approval policy for blacks is harder. What is a major reason why blacks default more on loans? As we mentioned, workplace discrimination is real against blacks,, income inequality is real against blacks, etc. Since blacks are given inferior schools, are given less interview opportunities, are discriminated against in positions they are given, and face housing discrimination, they are more likely to default. If blacks are hired last, they are also laid-off first since many times newer workers are the first to go. Mortgage companies don’t base their decision on who gets screwed over though; they base it on who is more likely to default. Since blacks (and women) are discriminated against with job pay (remember, women make less than men in exact same positions), Toya isn’t given a loan. So, she is stuck renting and not investing in a good investment - a house she owns.

Now, she goes to get an apartment in a less than stellar neighborhood because of all of the institutional discrimination she faces. However, the landlord requires first month rent, last two months rent, a large security deposit, and a 740 credit score. Why such drastic requirements? Well, the landlord has had tenants not able to pay many times. Why? Much of it has to do with the same cycle of institutional discrimination we have repeatedly gone over. So, now Toya has to try and find an apartment online. She can’t afford $60 for internet (thanks institutional racism), so she has to take public transportation (more time and money) to the library. There, she succeeds in getting stuck sharing an apartment with random Craigslist people. The subpar apartment is cheaply made and has bad electricity. City building inspectors are far less active in bad neighborhoods (institutional racism). As a result, her alarm clock frequently cuts off making her wake up late for work. One of her roommates dates a less than stellar guy. He frequently comes over with friends and does illegal drugs. One time, the apartment gets raided. Why? Well, statistics show that blacks are stopped by police far more than whites. They are targeted based solely on their skin more. This even includes stop-and-frisk where police don’t have a legit reason to detain somebody. When they followed the roommate’s boyfriend back to the apartment, they thought they could smell crack being smoked. So, everyone in the apartment was arrested. Now, with an arrest record thanks to the racial profiling, her chance of getting a better job are even lower. The roommate’s boyfriend was the only one convicted. But, he was given a ridiculously harsh sentence for his possession. Why? Well, statistics overwhelmingly show that blacks are not only arrested at a far higher rate for drugs than whites (even though drug use isn’t nearly as lopsided), but blacks also receive far harsher sentences than whites for the exact same offense.

Finally, after saving up enough money, she is able to get enough for a big deposit and get her own apartment. She tries to eat healthy. Unfortunately, the local grocery store doesn’t really cater to that. If you ever get the time, go to a grocery store in a black neighborhood. Then, go to the same grocery store in a white neighborhood. Notice the differences between the produce and fresh food area. Grocery stores in black neighborhoods receive far less deliveries and far less health foods. LIkewise, there are very few healthy food options in black neighborhoods. So, Toya is forced to eat unhealthy food options for many meals There are very few outdoor recreational areas in these neighborhoods (most don’t have sidewalks to walk on, none have running trails, etc).. Couple that with the stress she has faced with the difficult life (again, there are a lot of examples about why her life was forced to be so difficult), and her health is understandably not good.

Unfortunately, Obamacare was just repealed (using a realistic chance of a government action hurting blacks), so she can’t afford health insurance (bad schooling, bad public transit, less chance of job interviews, not hired for good jobs, having to pay more money to get to/from work due to gentrification and landlord discrimination, etc.). It makes finding healthcare nearly impossible. Even worse, there are very few doctors in her area. She can’t take off much time for work to go to the doctor’s, and since there are no doctors in the area, it takes longer time to travel there. Of course, the public transit in her area is awful, so that makes it even longer. As a result, and as studies show, blacks are dying at a higher rate from the same illnesses as other races because they don’t have the same access to healthcare. Toya doesn’t make it.

There are many, many other examples I could have used throughout this to illustrate institutional racism. The marginalized groups among us (racial minorities, females, gays, etc.) face harder paths than white males. Denying that is the epitome of ignorance. Does this mean people from these marginalized groups can’t be successful? Of course not. However, they face a much harder road than those of us who are white . . . male . . . straight . . .

Racism isn’t always a case of an individual white guy not liking blacks and refusing to hire them. Sure, that happens, but there are far deeper, far more damning issues of discrimination that don’t include one person disliking a certain race. Did the school principal just not like blacks? No, he just didn’t have the means to improve the schools. Did the college entrance committee not like the black applicant? No, they just went by who had the better test score regardless of who truly accomplished more. Did the HR department not like blacks to grant interviews? Probably not, they sub-consciously just didn’t put the black sounding name at the top of the pile. Did the hiring manager at Denny’s not like blacks? Probably not, as he/she was listening to what corporate said. Did the loan officer not like blacks? Nope, he just has a certain formula he has to follow based on what the computer spits out for approval, which of course, is partly based on race/area the property is purchased. Did the landlord not like blacks? Nope, he/she was just trying to secure their investment and not get screwed out of more rent. Did the police officer not like blacks? Probably not, he was just trying to reach his quota for the month and saw that blacks commit crimes at a higher rate than whites (again, which is related to a lot of the issues I have just gone over). Did the judge not like blacks in giving the harsh sentence? Nope, he just had to follow mandatory sentencing the law tells him that he has to. Did the grocery store not like blacks and therefore decide to not put good produce in that store? Nope, they just couldn’t afford to send a lot of trucks each week deep into the ghetto to stock fresh food. Did the health food restaurants not like blacks? Nope, they just had to go where the money was. Did the doctors who chose not to locate in the ghetto not like blacks? Nope, they just couldn’t make a legit living in that area since so many people didn’t have insurance and/or weren’t paid as much through Medicare. Did Trump not like blacks so he repealed Obamacare? Ok, bad example, since he and his father did have to pay millions to settle a housing discrimination lawsuit against blacks.

The point is, racism isn’t simply and old white guy not liking blacks. Racism exists in an institutional level that is built into society and is far harder and longer to change. When you start to open your eyes to this, you become far more educated and enlightened. For what it is worth, the same thing happens to women, hispanics, and other marginalized groups. Blacks, however, face it at a far greater level in today’s society than those other groups.

Toya did everything she was supposed to. She worked hard, continued to fight through the barriers, succeeded higher than the average at her school, stayed out of trouble, etc., but it wasn’t enough to overcome the rampant institutional racism and random individual racism she faced. It wasn't that she didn't make the choice to not change her environment. She chose to be the rare one who was going to make it out. Many of the people in that situation want to get out. But they don't know how. There are just so many roadblocks (I showed just a small number of them) that prevent them from succeeding in it. Many times, those road blocks are rooted in institutional racism.

That's quite a flip from your earlier stance in this thread where you stated that believing that white privilege exists is bullshit.

Not really. If I am trying to get a job at Cooter's Towing and Salvage it will help to be white. If I am trying to get a job at the Ford plant it won't make a difference, and may actually hurt me to be white and male. I would rather grow up middle class or rich and be any color than be poor, and that's what I claim is much more important. Maybe that's because I have lived in areas of high white poverty and you have not.

I perfectly understand what white privilege is. My I also understand it is SJW bullshit intended to brainwash whites into feeling guilt about something they did not do.

This is about the most pointless discussion I have seen.

The fact is that racism is the division of people into "races" (which cannot be scientifically defined) and the defination of their rights or role in society by whatever "race" they fall into.

So lets take four people. One is born in all the bleeding heart poverty posted above. But is white. And yes, there are plenty of poor white people. In cities, and even more so in the forgotten rural parts of the country, like the places just south of Huntington. Heck, in Huntington. Another is born to a stable family with parents that have had the personal responsibility to not reproduce in the absense of a stable relationship, the responsibility to work, live in a diverse place in the mainstream culture, gone to a good school, etc. But is black. Do these people exist? Yes they do, and it is racism to believe otherwise. Three and four are the same as one and two, but with the colors reversed. A white person who had advantages and a black person who did not. And, before some racist brings it us, yes, a greater percentage of whites fall into catagory 3 than blacks who fall into catagory 2. This is irrelevent.

The silly idea of "white privilige" is person #3, the rich white liberal, telling person #1 to step aside, so he can feel better about himself by advantaging person #2, the rich black liberal. The life of person #4, the poor black person, is unchanged, as person #1 just gets screwed over. That is what limosine liberalism is all about. Racism.

Which is why racism is evil. If YOU are white (male, Protestant, whatever) and feel that YOU have something YOU (or your children) do not deserve, by all means, find whomever you think really deserves it and give it to them. Don't send YOUR kids to private school, don't apply for that promotion, don't join the country club, just throw cash out the window, whatever YOU want to do with YOUR money and your status in society.

And leave those of us who grew up in just as bad a situation as any other poor person, no matter their supposed "race" the hell out of your white guilt.

The fact is that racism is the division of people into "races" (which cannot be scientifically defined) and the defination of their rights or role in society by whatever "race" they fall into.

So lets take four people. One is born in all the bleeding heart poverty posted above. But is white. And yes, there are plenty of poor white people. In cities, and even more so in the forgotten rural parts of the country, like the places just south of Huntington. Heck, in Huntington. Another is born to a stable family with parents that have had the personal responsibility to not reproduce in the absense of a stable relationship, the responsibility to work, live in a diverse place in the mainstream culture, gone to a good school, etc. But is black. Do these people exist? Yes they do, and it is racism to believe otherwise. Three and four are the same as one and two, but with the colors reversed. A white person who had advantages and a black person who did not. And, before some racist brings it us, yes, a greater percentage of whites fall into catagory 3 than blacks who fall into catagory 2. This is irrelevent.

The silly idea of "white privilige" is person #3, the rich white liberal, telling person #1 to step aside, so he can feel better about himself by advantaging person #2, the rich black liberal. The life of person #4, the poor black person, is unchanged, as person #1 just gets screwed over. That is what limosine liberalism is all about. Racism.

Which is why racism is evil. If YOU are white (male, Protestant, whatever) and feel that YOU have something YOU (or your children) do not deserve, by all means, find whomever you think really deserves it and give it to them. Don't send YOUR kids to private school, don't apply for that promotion, don't join the country club, just throw cash out the window, whatever YOU want to do with YOUR money and your status in society.

And leave those of us who grew up in just as bad a situation as any other poor person, no matter their supposed "race" the hell out of your white guilt.

Sam, excellent post. I agree.

And here's the thing about all this...If someone argued all schools should be funded properly and equally, I agree 100%. It is something I have argued for, it influences how I vote, etc. I don't care about the racial makeup of the school, town, whatever. If you say poor kids need extra help to get ahead, I support that. I vote that. I am not going to be more or less progressive on this based on race. Poverty suck, period.

But tell me I get a dozen advantages or courtesies a day because I am white? No. Do I get that because I dress respectably, have manners, am educated, and am somewhat charming? Probably. I have also got the stink eye when I have been covered in grease or dirt or horseshit and walked into a store.

Rifle, earlier you asked what I would think if I saw a white kid vs a black kid in an $80k car. Depends on the neighborhood. West End of Louisville, white or black that kid is a dope dealer. Period. East End? Spoiled brat. Period.

And another thing, I have seen the studies that say "black names" get passed over more than "white names" on resumes. I don't doubt that. But I wonder if white country names get passed over. Cletus, Eustice, Dencil (my late uncle's name, that's country AF lol), Dale, Ricky. I bet white snobs pass those over too for good jobs. Accounting? Eustice isn't getting called.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Toya doesn't sadden me. Neither do all these other sob stories.

What saddens me is what has become of this thing I was supposedly a fanboy of. God, this is awful. No more whore stories. Just novels about beasts I'm supposed to feel sorry for.

If I want real good sob stories, I'll go read about people with cancer, kidney disease or anorexia. Stories with actual pain and suffering, not a Democrat sales pitch crafted to dupe a voting bloc into dependency.

Congratulations on skipping the "etc." part to try and prove a non-existent point which has never been in contention.

I know it is only the first of the month, but I am nominating this post as my entry for the dumbest post of May.

You claim that it is bigoted to say that a white male (two advantages in today's society) from a very successful and wealthy family with married parents (two huge advantages in today's society) who goes to a great, private school (big advantage) has a far opportunity to succeed than a black male (disadvantage in today's society) from a very poor, single-family house (two disadvantages in today's society) who goes to a very under-performing public school in a violent area (two disadvantages)?

Fvck May, that may be the dumbest post all of 2017! If the first child described doesn't have a much better chance at success, why would parents spend so much money trying to live in areas with public school? Spending tens of thousands for great private schools? Do you not think being white in society is a big advantage? Do you not think being male is a big advantage? Having all of those advantages over somebody who comes from the total opposite makes that person have a much better chance at success in life. Calling that "bigoted" makes me wonder if you went to a DC public school.

There are a lot of morons on this board, but you won't find a single one who will support your stance on this.

No shit. You're telling me that there are some kids from great backgrounds with all of the advantages in life who amount to nothing? Shocker!

No shit part II. You're telling me that there are some kids from awful backgrounds with a ton of disadvantages that find a way to be successful?

Nobody is claiming that there aren't a small minority in each of those groups who buck the trend. What statistics show is that people that have a bunch of disadvantages are far less likely to succeed than those with a ton of advantages; those disadvantages include being a racial minority, a gender minority, coming from areas with very bad schools, coming from economically disadvantaged areas, coming from a bad home life, coming from areas with a high crime rate . . . many of those things go hand-in-hand. Stating that blacks who fit multiple categories above aren't as likely to succeed as those who don't face disadvantages isn't bigotry or racism at all.

Again, congratulations on making what may possibly be the dumbest post of 2017.

Again, you're so out of touch with reality that it's shocking. I am going on a vacation tomorrow, so I will take the time to write my long post now using some of the examples you listed above to show just how far out of touch you are . . . and how institutional racism is the biggest factor against blacks today.

All of your "effort" to prove yourself right and I don't see a whole lot of people jumping to your defense here either. Maybe I am lucky I didn't have to grow up going to NY schools since the number of "likes" on a message board seems to justify ones position and intelligence on a topic in your world. LOL. You really are that shallow.

Funny. Speaking of intelligence...Fever seems to be the only one agreeing fully with you (One of the biggest racists on the board) despite your usual claims that he's a moron. Greed most likely would too if he wasn't such a racist bigot himself. He's already admitted in the past when a topic of this nature came up he wouldn't hire a minority unless the government paid him to do it. Sounds almost like you "looking down from my office window".

For someone who claims to know all the answers, you sure haven't offered up any suggestions for solutions. Typical of your kind.

Reactions: Walter Brennaneer
All of your "effort" to prove yourself right and I don't see a whole lot of people jumping to your defense here either. Maybe I am lucky I didn't have to grow up going to NY schools since the number of "likes" on a message board seems to justify ones position and intelligence on a topic in your world. LOL. You really are that shallow.

For someone who claims to know all the answers, you sure haven't offered up any suggestions for solutions. Typical of your kind.

This board is overwhelmingly conservatives. That's why a bunch don't flock in agreement with liberal posts. Was that too difficult for you to understand?

You've yet to dispute the reality of any of my examples of commonly seen institutional racism in our society. I wonder why. Being able to identify and acknowledge the problem is much more than your kind is able to do.

But, if you want solutions, it's quite easy to start. Fund schools the same per pupil.

Rifle, earlier you asked what I would think if I saw a white kid vs a black kid in an $80k car. Depends on the neighborhood. West End of Louisville, white or black that kid is a dope dealer. Period. East End? Spoiled brat. Period.

Blacks in a nice car get stopped in any neighborhood. Ask any wealthy black, and they will relay stories about that. Hell, some wealthy black celebs have gotten so sick of it that they started recording the stops to prove what happens to them regardless of the neighborhood.

There was one that went viral a couple of years ago where the cop followed the young guy to a house he owned. He end d up inviting the cop in his house to prove the point.

This board is overwhelmingly conservatives. That's why a bunch don't flock in agreement with liberal posts. Was that too difficult for you to understand?

Stop asking conservatives to attempt to understand this. They simply can't. It's like when a conservative on this board puts up a political poll in an attempt to prove they're right by consensus. It's kinda like groupthink if you admit the think part.

But, if you want solutions, it's quite easy to start. Fund schools the same per pupil.

I have zero experience in school funding other than a reddit thread a few weeks ago about detroit. They pointed out that Detroit city schools are in the top 10th percentile for funding per pupil across the state of Michigan.

Sometimes it's not just a funding issue in some districts. I am personally familiar with one inner city school district that had semi-adequate funding (I think, not sure about overall funding), but the teachers just didn't care and they couldn't recruit teachers and unfortunately there was a lot of push back from the black teachers about bringing in teach for america or americorps additional fresh out college mostly white teachers to help. The funding needs to quit going to worthless bloated administrators and recruit better teachers (and pay them more) to work in these hell hole schools. I do think teachers working in at risk districts should make more as long as they're not just phoning it in. I have no clue how to go about the logistics of that.

Last edited:
I have zero experience in school funding other than a reddit thread a few weeks ago about detroit. They pointed out that Detroit city schools are in the top 10th percentile for funding per pupil across the state of Michigan.

Sometimes it's not just a funding issue in some districts. I am personally familiar with one inner city school district that had semi-adequate funding (I think, not sure about overall funding), but the teachers just didn't care and they couldn't recruit teachers and unfortunately there was a lot of push back from the black teachers about bringing in teach for america or americorps additional fresh out college mostly white teachers to help. The funding needs to quit going to worthless bloated administrators and recruit better teachers (and pay them more) to work in these hell hole schools. I do think teachers working in at risk districts should make more as long as they're not just phoning it in. I have no clue how to go about the logistics of that.
The problem with the statistics related to funding disparity is that they are school specific (which sounds exactly like what you want on the surface). However, in many districts, most school specific funding is exclusively salary and benefits of personnel. Materials and resources are generally district wide spending categories in the budget and not school specific.

Since inner City schools have a significant problem retaining teachers, they use almost exclusively young teachers without sufficient experience to get jobs at more preferred schools. Young teachers get paid less than experienced teachers and thereby result in within-district funding disparities.

Frankly, there is no significant statistical correlation between spending and achievement. Increasing funding isn't a viable solution.

You've yet to dispute the reality of any of my examples of commonly seen institutional racism in our society. I wonder why. Being able to identify and acknowledge the problem is much more than your kind is able to do.

Reading comprehension eludes you. I clearly stated long before you started writing your boring whiteman and blackman thesis that I've been pointing to institutional racism every time the issue of race is discussed here for years. I've identified the problem with every post I make about the topic. All your kind wants to do is "acknowledge a problem". "Fixing it" is what your kind intentionally fails to do. Its why I've also given you specific personal examples of how I am attempting to eradicate it with my actions....(beyond arrogantly "looking down from my office window").

Its easy to understand....Your assertion was, no one openly agreed with my posts, so that was "proof" that my opinion was a flawed reality. So, if this board is "full of conservatives", then why exactly would I need a committee running to hit the "like" button on my posts?? Its most likely a given (based on this recent post) that "my kind" would agree with me that simply throwing more money at a problem rooted in a bigoted mindset isn't really going to solve the prevailing problem of racism.

It is clear that someone hitting "likes" on a chat board feeds the egos of "let someone else do it" types such as yourself and allowing you to claim how much you "cared" about the problem. But as the last 40-50 years of War on Poverty has shown....narrow minded bureaucratic/political "fixes" of "just fund it more" typically produce poor returns on the investment.

Go ahead, keep yapping and maybe someone other than the Fever will fully agree with you and make your feel better about yourself. The rest of us will keep talking about ideas and solutions to the problem.

And another thing, I have seen the studies that say "black names" get passed over more than "white names" on resumes. I don't doubt that. But I wonder if white country names get passed over. Cletus, Eustice, Dencil (my late uncle's name, that's country AF lol), Dale, Ricky. I bet white snobs pass those over too for good jobs. Accounting? Eustice isn't getting called.

3 of my Great Uncles from Southeastern KY.....Hansel, Vencil, and Cowboy.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Frankly, there is no significant statistical correlation between spending and achievement. Increasing funding isn't a viable solution.

That's completely false. There are numerous studies, including from economists at Northwestern and Cal, that have been done showing a direct correlation between funding and achievement. Hell, you even gave an example of it in your post. Younger (cheaper) teachers tend to be hired more in less desired schools. Districts don't appropriate funds to schools based on if they have extra money left over from hiring younger (cheaper teachers).

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22011

http://educationnext.org/boosting-education-attainment-adult-earnings-school-spending/

http://epaa.asu.edu/ojs/article/view/1721/1357

There is a good one by the National Assessment of Educational Progress, but I can't find it on its website now.

Reading comprehension eludes you. I clearly stated long before you started writing your boring whiteman and blackman thesis that I've been pointing to institutional racism every time the issue of race is discussed here for years. I've identified the problem with every post I make about the topic.

No, logic eludes you when you try to play both sides of the fence. I gave numerous examples of institutional racism in my post. Yet, you claim that there was just "effort" and no support of merit behind my examples. In your attempt at taking a jab, you blew up your entire claim about agreeing with institutional racism being prevalent.

Its why I've also given you specific personal examples of how I am attempting to eradicate it with my actions....(beyond arrogantly "looking down from my office window").

You hiring cheap labor masqueraded as trying to help disenfranchised youth is almost as comical as your attempt to argue that it is bigoted to claim that those children with far less resources have a far lower chance of succeeding in life.

Its easy to understand....Your assertion was, no one openly agreed with my posts, so that was "proof" that my opinion was a flawed reality. So, if this board is "full of conservatives", then why exactly would I need a committee running to hit the "like" button on my posts?? Its most likely a given (based on this recent post) that "my kind" would agree with me that simply throwing more money at a problem rooted in a bigoted mindset isn't really going to solve the prevailing problem of racism.

It is clear that someone hitting "likes" on a chat board feeds the egos of "let someone else do it" types such as yourself and allowing you to claim how much you "cared" about the problem. But as the last 40-50 years of War on Poverty has shown....narrow minded bureaucratic/political "fixes" of "just fund it more" typically produce poor returns on the investment.

If I make even a simple typo which everyone knows was a case of just accidentally hitting the wrong key, I am a sitting duck for comments. Whenever somebody makes an argument against my position that others agree with, they also almost always show support by liking that person's comment (it is like why LeBron has so many people who cheer when he fails). On a board full of conservatives, if anyone agreed with your argument against me, especially since I took it to task so much, they would chime in with at least liking your post. They didn't. It isn't about ego; it's about intelligence. No other conservative on here is dumb enough to agree with your post that it is bigoted to believe that children who have far lower resources in all facets of life will face a far lower chance of succeeding in life.

Get over it; it is probably going to be the worst post of May and possibly all of 2017.

Yes. I am a typical liberal. Type a lot of the same words over and over again. Talk about how much I care. Boast about my intelligence to make myself feel good. Do little to actually solve the problem but mock others who actually do the work to make a positive impact.

Having far lower resources should be a greater motivating factor to achieve. It also sets a much more attainable goal when your parents have set the bar so low.

If you come from rich big timers, chances are even if you do OK you're not going to beat them. So you'll still feel like a loser. Living in the shadows. Bob Knight says, "You've got a long way to go to be as good as your dad" to Schaap's kid.

It's all about frame of reference in this world. If you can ignore that, we're all really prosperous as hell in this country. Living in lard on a level field.

Think I saw him bumming outside Great American Ball Park with a "Why Lie? I Need Beer" sign.

It also seems like half of Guyandotte moved up here to bum on entrance and exit ramps. Worst part of it is though, they're all hard rockers. Even the rednecks in these modern times don't listen to any Ferlin Husky. Damn rebellious kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT