ADVERTISEMENT

On the menu tonight…

Haven't tried steak with this. Wonder how many cups I could get out of that. Steak should spit right out, but I never know.

Looks great. I'm in the process of something similar. Cast iron New York strip with air fried potatoes basted in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. American Coca Cola to wash it down.:cool:

Looks great. I'm in the process of something similar. Cast iron New York strip with air fried potatoes basted in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. American Coca Cola to wash it down.:cool:

Im usually not a huge fan of kitchen gadgets (exception - I use the instapot to make bone broth ) but I’ve been looking at those air fryers. Do you like it?

Im usually not a huge fan of kitchen gadgets (exception - I use the instapot to make bone broth ) but I’ve been looking at those air fryers. Do you like it?
I don't use it for many things, Carl. I like a crispy crust for pizza, so if I have a frozen pizza, I'll use the fryer to do that, and many times I'll bring home pizza and stick it in the fryer to make it crisp. I like a crispy peeling on baked potatoes, similar to the ones you get at Texas Roadhouse. And other than deep frying, it's the best way to prepare frozen french fries to suit me.
I purchase an inexpensive air fryer couple of years ago and had been using that. But I had to replace our kitchen stove recently and didn't realize when I purchase it, it came with an air fryer capability built in. THAT's where the "baked" potatoes go. :)

I actually grilled two NY strips tonight, and did them in the Ninja 6 in 1. It does a pretty good job. Plus, it's 14 degrees outside on the porch which is covered with a couple feet of snow. Wife made green beans in the instapot and had baked potatoes as well. Finished it off with a slice of apple pie from the Traverse Pie Company and ice cream from a local dairy farm. That's an all American supper.

Oh, and I had Gatorade with my supper. Just finished week 11 without booze, and trying to go 26 weeks before getting back on the jug.

I like to do my steaks occasionally Pittsburgh style, get that cast iron skillet smoking hot with animal fat, not cooking oil. Sear it on each side till it’s nice and charred and a nice med rare to rare center!! Yum yum!! Ribeyes are my go to cuts!

Yes, I do that sometimes as well. I typically use Use ghee or beef tallow or avocado oil - higher smoke points and I’ve been trying to eliminate seed oils anyway .

Part of brunch I did for the fam.

Home made sourdough (wife) avocado toast. Really easy and delicious.

mashed avocado, cucumber, red onion, crumbled bacon, finished with plenty of red pepper flakes and Malden sea salt flakes.

Highly recommend the sea salt flakes for a finishing salt for things like caprese /tomato salads . I also like a pinch on fresh melon like cantaloupe.

Maldon Salt, Sea Salt Flakes, 8.5 oz (240 g), Kosher, Natural, Handcrafted, Gourmet, Pyramid Crystals (Packaging May vary) Amazon product ASIN B00017028M

Part of brunch I did for the fam.

Home made sourdough (wife) avocado toast. Really easy and delicious.

mashed avocado, cucumber, red onion, crumbled bacon, finished with plenty of red pepper flakes and Malden sea salt flakes.

Highly recommend the sea salt flakes for a finishing salt for things like caprese /tomato salads . I also like a pinch on fresh melon like cantaloupe.

Maldon Salt, Sea Salt Flakes, 8.5 oz (240 g), Kosher, Natural, Handcrafted, Gourmet, Pyramid Crystals (Packaging May vary)
I got motivated awhile back and wanted to replicate the avocado toast from First Watch. The finishing part, flake salt, was impossible to find in standard grocery markets, even in the Columbus market. It does make all the difference too, in that the flakes seem to stay relatively dry, creating nicer aesthetics and the crystals really hit in terms of salty kick when you take each bite.

I had a website saved for a specialty store that sold craft salt. I found it by watching Andrew Zimmern. It was his spinoff show after Bizarre Foods.

https://themeadow.com/

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Yes, I do that sometimes as well. I typically use Use ghee or beef tallow or avocado oil - higher smoke points and I’ve been trying to eliminate seed oils anyway .
Covid vax less harmful to your health than seed oils. ;) Literal poison.

Covid vax less harmful to your health than seed oils. ;) Literal poison.

Yeah I’m on the seed oils are bad train with you. I’ve really liked using more tallow, avocado , and olive oil though so I don’t feel like I’m missing out.

Refrigerated deli pizza out of a box that I didn't heat up, the whole pizza, 16 slices of cheese, pound of macaroni salad, family size box of Reese's cereal, 12 sugar cookies and 8 apple cinnamon honey buns.

Doc Fungus, if that doctoring thing doesn't work out for you, you could always be a line cook at Applebees.

They're hiring over here at the Gull Road location.

Doc Fungus, if that doctoring thing doesn't work out for you, you could always be a line cook at Applebees.

They're hiring over here at the Gull Road location.

I’ll keep that in mind. I used to tear up some boneless wings and chicken fajita roll ups with a giant beer back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT