ADVERTISEMENT

Pennington Rumor

It shouldn't be a Pruett vs Doc thing. First, it's completely unfair to compare the two. Pruett was so far above Doc it's just unfair. In reality, the much better conversation is Doc vs Snyder. They are pretty much clones in their football style and results. The only difference is that Doc recruited Cato and Shuler and Snyder played much harder schedules.

The only thing that really matters is if the coach we have right now is good enough to have our team consistently perform in a highly competitive manner, compete for, and win, conference championships, and do that in a way that is not embarrassing to the school, its alumni, and fans. I would say that Doc is running out of time to prove he's that right coach. To me, highly competitive means that you don't play a lot of games in November that don't mean much as far as winning the division goes, or having to sit around with your fingers crossed hoping another team messes up.

I missed the part anyone is on Doc's side in Pruett vs Doc argument. I agree Snyder is a better comparison and I'm not sure Snyder would not have performed better than Doc given the conference and out of conference schedule Doc was handed.

I don't know why we can't objectively evaluate the Pruett era and understand that he had a great run and those were the greatest MU football years and also understand probation, last minute resignation, decline in recruiting and team performance sent us in the wrong direction. Pruett acknowledged that their were problems in the program at the end, it's a shame some on here can't. That said, they can name the campus after Pruett for all I care, I love the guy.

Retired but in your case, retarded

God you are dense. O.k. let's go with retired over resigned or quit....He did it the day before spring ball. Nice! that's a very common time for D1 coaches to retire and it allows for a nice transition. idiot

And Kueck was more qualified than Snyder and probably even Doc

that's why he got so many other D1 coaching offers. Doc and Snyder are both bad coaches. I know you are too much of a simpleton to understand this....but this isn't a Pruett vs Doc or Snyder thing, it's about how Pruett ended an otherwise great run and put program in trouble. MORON

I missed the part anyone is on Doc's side in Pruett vs Doc argument. I agree Snyder is a better comparison and I'm not sure Snyder would not have performed better than Doc given the conference and out of conference schedule Doc was handed.

I don't know why we can't objectively evaluate the Pruett era and understand that he had a great run and those were the greatest MU football years and also understand probation, last minute resignation, decline in recruiting and team performance sent us in the wrong direction. Pruett acknowledged that their were problems in the program at the end, it's a shame some on here can't. That said, they can name the campus after Pruett for all I care, I love the guy.
This is not a serious post. The level of competition that John sees today is light years easier than Snyder.

I could shoot myself for not reading this string for several days, it's been entertaining. So I'll bite and join in.

BP knew what was going on in the Jobs Program; whether correct or incorrect, he felt he checked the legality of it with someone who later tried over and over to burn him.
BP had lost control of his players in his final year. The bowl in TX was a disaster and represented all that had crept into his program.
BP also knew that without changes MU could not sustain its winning ways. He bet on winning a roulette game with the AD and lost.
It wasn't just BP's approach with the NCAA that cost us so dearly when the punishment was handed out. The basketball program also lost scholarships; but his approach did not help and was in fact the reason for the "lack of control" issue.
Snyder was hyped and supported by some very "strong/influential" folks. It was a bad hire and cost a very reasonable and capable coach his entire chance at his on ring of gold. He wasn't ready for all the "off field" crap he had to deal with; including the movie.
MS was a nightmare in public, and that cost him a lot of support; maybe as much as the lack of success on the field. Again, he did too little due diligence, and jumped at an opportunity that even an experienced Head Coach would have a tough time handling.
The entire athletic department under estimated the strength change from the MAC to C-USA. As BP once said he could beat them with weeks to prepare, but playing them every week will be quite different. That proved very true and MS was the one the burden fell too.
JH had animosity against him the day he was hired; it came from his history with the colors of blue and gold.
Like MS, JH has a very lacking presence in public. And he is saddled with the constant dwindling of interest in the current conference mates. Most likely, if his winning record was against teams most fans loved to hate, he'd be given much more respect than he is.
Combine the current coaching disrespect with and AD who turns off common fans, JH has a mountain to climb.

So my conjecture is that there is no reason at all to change Doc Holiday until, or unless the AD is first gone.

Alas, he's needed for his capabilities to get facilities built and establish foundations for the next decades.

So I'll support JH, just as I did MS and BP before him. We did win 8 games this season, and may end up with 9 or 10; didn't have negative publicity about our program on any national news, and beat the two teams in our conference we must routinely beat to win the recruiting wars in Florida.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
college FB coaches that are doing the best thing for their school retire the day before spring ball all the time

Universities that do the best for their school when they let their winningest ever football coach leave without doing every reasonable thing under the sun to keep him on the football sidelines. 6 of the 9 years Pruett was the Herd coach he brought home conference championships and never had a losing season. Since Pruett left, we've had 7 losing seasons out of 14 and 1 conference championship. Great move for the MU administration.

I would argue that Snyder was equal to Doc as a game day coach, greater than Doc as a recruiter and a hell of a lot nicer guy. I believe that in the current league, with Kueck, he would perform as well or better.

If Marshall is happy paying a guy 800 or 900 grand a year to finish 2nd or 3rd in the division then, I guess we should be happy as well.

Universities that do the best for their school when they let their winningest ever football coach leave without doing every reasonable thing under the sun to keep him on the football sidelines. 6 of the 9 years Pruett was the Herd coach he brought home conference championships and never had a losing season. Since Pruett left, we've had 7 losing seasons out of 14 and 1 conference championship. Great move for the MU administration.
One of the dumbest things Marshall University has ever done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT