ADVERTISEMENT

Please, no more .........

Historical relevance? What historical relevance does Marshall have (I swear, if the 1970 tragedy gets brought up...I'll scream)? Marshall dominated a bottom level conference for about 6 years (13 years ago), congrats on that! You guys won the Sun Belt last year, congrats on that, too!

Also, we DID win against you guys "during an era" in which you lost to everyone. But, you guys claim to be top-notch these days and somehow...Ohio still wins. So, what's your point?
We do think highly of our football program the same as you think highly of The Herd. That's what fans do. You can try to belittle that as much as you'd like by calling it "cute" but you're doing the exact same thing just by being a member of this forum.

And really? Riding on the accomplishments of a team that existed more than a decade ago. We are in the modern times, "sport." We might not be able to win the MAC title, but we still can beat The Herd. So, what does that say when Marshall can't beat a team that hasn't had a conference title in 47 years and is 2-6 in bowls? That doesn't look too good, does it? According to some of the people on here, Marshall hasn't lost a game due to simply being outplayed in 20 years. It's always someone else's fault. And if Ohio University is a second rate team from a terrible conference...beat them. Then we'll talk....sport. I'm not anti-Marshall. Hell, I am a Marshall Alumni as well as OU. Two great schools. I just have a problem with delusional fans - no matter who they cheer for. I remember in 2012 some OU fans were saying that we should move to a bigger conference because we were semi-good. It was the dumbest thing I had heard that year.

Ohio has more programs that do well (volleyball, basketball, hockey, field hockey, etc). Marshall is a football school and that's about it. Marshall is coming back to Athens again in December to try to play basketball.
MU has the superior fan base and facilities but neither means much when they put the ball on the tee. For the most part the series has boiled down to a home team wins contest. I was for the move to C-USA when it was a legit conference with UC ,Louisville and TCU but all those schools bolted before we had a chance to play them. I cannot argue the point that C-USA is in reality the old Sun Belt and not any better than the MAC from a purely football playing standpoint. MAC has has several good OOC wins over SEC and Big 10 schools this year, although C-USA has as well.

Marshall fan's mentioning plane crash in this thread - 0
Ohio fan's complaining about possible future mentions of plane crash - 1

Reactions: 30Kelly
MU has the superior fan base and facilities but neither means much when they put the ball on the tee. For the most part the series has boiled down to a home team wins contest. I was for the move to C-USA when it was a legit conference with UC ,Louisville and TCU but all those schools bolted before we had a chance to play them. I cannot argue the point that C-USA is in reality the old Sun Belt and not any better than the MAC from a purely football playing standpoint. MAC has has several good OOC wins over SEC and Big 10 schools this year, although C-USA has as well.
We knew we were going to be in without Cincy and UL, them leaving created the spots for us. The wildcard that we said we would join for was TCU, and be damned they decided to bolt before we got to even play them, they were the last team to leave at that time. I believe the commissioner screwed up on that one too, I don't think they wanted to be in the same conference as some of the texas schools he was adding and they voiced it, but he ignored and they left to the MWC, rest is history. But we stuck with it. I still believe it was worth it at the time to have ECU, USM, etc on the schedule and it sucks that some of those programs decided to reform the old CUSA. Had ECU stayed put here I don't believe we would want to leave, as a fan base that is. It is what it is.

We knew we were going to be in without Cincy and UL, them leaving created the spots for us. The wildcard that we said we would join for was TCU, and be damned they decided to bolt before we got to even play them, they were the last team to leave at that time. I believe the commissioner screwed up on that one too, I don't think they wanted to be in the same conference as some of the texas schools he was adding and they voiced it, but he ignored and they left to the MWC, rest is history. But we stuck with it. I still believe it was worth it at the time to have ECU, USM, etc on the schedule and it sucks that some of those programs decided to reform the old CUSA. Had ECU stayed put here I don't believe we would want to leave, as a fan base that is. It is what it is.
Yes, much truth to what you say! I felt somewhat jilted that the AAC didn't ask us to join, we're a better football program than Tulane, Temple, USF and a better team than just about all of them in 2014 and 2015. I know our hoops is down but all these moves seem to be dictated by football.

Feel like I should note he was a dick about it as well. Way to show your class @BC110

I wasn't a dick about anything. How was that classless? Because I mentioned it? I was simply asking what "historical relevance" Marshall had (other than the crash). I didn't make fun of anything. My parents and grandparents knew people that went down on the plane. My high school band director was in the MU band when it happened. I have several friends that went to school there when it happened. But, thanks for calling me a dick though! That was real classy, too!

I wouldn't say that you have the superior fan base. I mean, what is your unit of measure on something like that? The fact that you have a bigger stadium that holds more people doesn't classify your fans as "superior." Now, as for facilities. Absolutely. OU needs some major renovations. Maybe if they'd stop blowing money on new dorms and other buildings that they don't need, they could afford it someday.

I wasn't a dick about anything. How was that classless? Because I mentioned it? I was simply asking what "historical relevance" Marshall had (other than the crash). I didn't make fun of anything. My parents and grandparents knew people that went down on the plane. My high school band director was in the MU band when it happened. I have several friends that went to school there when it happened. But, thanks for calling me a dick though! That was real classy, too!

Complaining that someone doesn't have any class and then proceed to call them a "dick." That makes perfect sense lol. I'm done on here. I hope MU has a strong rest of the season. Best of luck!

I wouldn't say that you have the superior fan base. I mean, what is your unit of measure on something like that? The fact that you have a bigger stadium that holds more people doesn't classify your fans as "superior." Now, as for facilities. Absolutely. OU needs some major renovations. Maybe if they'd stop blowing money on new dorms and other buildings that they don't need, they could afford it someday.
By superior , I mean larger!

I've never had a bad time in Huntington. Great fans that are always ready to welcome people to their tailgates. Well, I take that back. I did have a bad time in Huntington when my car and house was broken into back in 2011 when I lived there. I moved back across the river as soon as I could. I cheer for Marshall when they're not playing OU. That is the pain about having gone to both schools. The only teams that I refuse to pull for is OSU and WVU. If they ever played each other...I'd take a nap. I hate OSU because of being a Bobcat and I hate WVU because of being a Marshall Alumni. Best of both worlds.

Your hoops arena is the equal of the Henderson center though....older but well kept builing!
The Convo holds about 4,000 more people than the Cam. I've never been a fan of the Cam Henderson Center. It has nothing to do with OU/MU rivalry. OU could have the Cam Henderson and I would dislike it just as much. The Convo is also dorms. They cram about 700 kids into that place.

I've never had a bad time in Huntington. Great fans that are always ready to welcome people to their tailgates. Well, I take that back. I did have a bad time in Huntington when my car and house was broken into back in 2011 when I lived there. I moved back across the river as soon as I could. I cheer for Marshall when they're not playing OU. That is the pain about having gone to both schools. The only teams that I refuse to pull for is OSU and WVU. If they ever played each other...I'd take a nap.
I don't see WVU ever playing them again...took some beat downs at the hands of the Bucks. My most heartbreaking MU loss of all time was the 2003 loss in Columbus when we had them beat...O'Oonnor missed a chip shot FG that would have won the game, and then shanked a punt that allowed them to kick a 53 yarder at the buzzer to beat us! Long way home that late afternoon!

The Convo holds about 4,000 more people than the Cam. I've never been a fan of the Cam Henderson Center. It has nothing to do with OU/MU rivalry. OU could have the Cam Henderson and I would dislike it just as much. The Convo is also dorms. They cram about 700 kids into that place.
I almost got thrown out of the Convo Center for drinking a Coke in my seat in 1981....can you take a soft drink to your seat these days?

I don't see WVU ever playing them again...took some beat downs at the hands of the Bucks. My most heartbreaking MU loss of all time was the 2003 loss in Columbus when we had them beat...O'Oonnor missed a chip shot FG that would have won the game, and then shanked a punt that allowed them to kick a 53 yarder at the buzzer to beat us! Long way home that late afternoon!

I remember that game. Nugent was a beast of a kicker. Marshall went up there to win.

I almost got thrown out of the Convo Center for drinking a Coke in my seat in 1981....can you take a soft drink to your seat these days?
LOL. Yeah, you can. I wonder why they gave you hell. Probably some new staff member that has never had responsibility before and he didn't want to let his boss down.

You should try to make it up this year. I have no idea how the basketball team will be this year. Last year was a disappointment.
We've got a bunch of new faces as well....no idea if we'll be better than last year. I really like Danny and hope he can turn it around. Bobs will be tough to beat in Athens.

Yes, much truth to what you say! I felt somewhat jilted that the AAC didn't ask us to join, we're a better football program than Tulane, Temple, USF and a better team than just about all of them in 2014 and 2015. I know our hoops is down but all these moves seem to be dictated by football.
Well we don't really know if they invited us or not, if they did and we declined (lots of money involved in a move like that) there would have never been anything public about it, so it leaves us speculating they didn't, only Hamrick knows the exacts on that. As long as we are with USM and a few other old guard I am fine with us staying in CUSA.
The moves were chosen based more on viewing areas than anything to do with a schools success, not much different than what CUSA did. Were there better options than taking two FL schools? sure there were, ULL or Arkansas state would have been better choices (especially vs FIU) but viewing area trumped them. I have to admit I did want ODU though, I just felt and still feel they add to the conference. Don't necessarily like bring in 1aa schools but they were just too tempting with good basketball and lots of potential in football. I was ok with MTSU and WKU. UTSA, being honest they did good their first year, but since then I have been disappointed in them, no reason for them to struggle like they do in their location.
This isn't done yet in my opinion, if half the MAC ends up dropping down, some of the remaining schools are going to be looking for a home, and then you have the big 12 looking for two members.

Historical relevance? What historical relevance does Marshall have (I swear, if the 1970 tragedy gets brought up...I'll scream)? Marshall dominated a bottom level conference for about 6 years (13 years ago), congrats on that! You guys won the Sun Belt last year, congrats on that, too!

Also, we DID win against you guys "during an era" in which you lost to everyone. But, you guys claim to be top-notch these days and somehow...Ohio still wins. So, what's your point?
We do think highly of our football program the same as you think highly of The Herd. That's what fans do. You can try to belittle that as much as you'd like by calling it "cute" but you're doing the exact same thing just by being a member of this forum.

And really? Riding on the accomplishments of a team that existed more than a decade ago. We are in the modern times, "sport." We might not be able to win the MAC title, but we still can beat The Herd. So, what does that say when Marshall can't beat a team that hasn't had a conference title in 47 years and is 2-6 in bowls? That doesn't look too good, does it? According to some of the people on here, Marshall hasn't lost a game due to simply being outplayed in 20 years. It's always someone else's fault. And if Ohio University is a second rate team from a terrible conference...beat them. Then we'll talk....sport. I'm not anti-Marshall. Hell, I am a Marshall Alumni as well as OU. Two great schools. I just have a problem with delusional fans - no matter who they cheer for. I remember in 2012 some OU fans were saying that we should move to a bigger conference because we were semi-good. It was the dumbest thing I had heard that year.

Ohio has more programs that do well (volleyball, basketball, hockey, field hockey, etc). Marshall is a football school and that's about it. Marshall is coming back to Athens again in December to try to play basketball.
Tony after the crash marshall had 20 straight losing seasons. The fans and people of huntington wanted the program to do something great and when that happens we would. honor the crash victims. Well Marshall went from losing more games than anyone in the country to winning more than any other team in the country in the 90's. Won a national championship in 1992. Talk about being exciting. What a ride and then followed up with a perfect season and another title in 96. People said marshall would get killed in 1A even if they joined the mac. Well they won the mac like 5 times and beat some good teams in the bowls. went to death valley and beat Clemson in front of 100,000 people. Wow at one time the citadel and appy state and furman beat us easily. Lost to the mighty Buckeyes on a 59 yd field goal that the refs should not have allowed the kick. I remember 5000 people at fairfield to what 41000 against WV. Ky has won 5 titles since i moved to ky and that was fun but nothing compares with the ashes to glory story.

Reactions: BC110
I wasn't a dick about asing. How was that classless? Because I mentioned it? I was simply asking what "historical relevance" Marshall had (other than the crash). I didn't make fun of anything. My parents and grandparents knew people that went down on the plane. My high school band director was in the MU band when it happened. I have several friends that went to school there when it happened. But, thanks for calling me a dick though! That was real classy, too!
So you want to play semantics? Okay. I never called you a dick; I said you were a dick about it.

I'm sorry if you don't like hearing about the crash for whatever reason (even though you brought it up), but there is no place for "screaming" just because you have to hear about it. That's a dick thing to say about anyone's point of view or life experiences. Try something like that with your wife (if you have one). See what she thinks.

Tony I respect the bobcats. a Hard hitting old fashion football team with a great coach.I think players like Michael Peyton, Glenn Pedro,Orlando hatchett,Melvin cunningham,The Parker kid who ran like tony dorcett. Chad Pennington, Bryon Leftwich,Ahmad Bradshaw, Carl Fodor who quarterbacked us to our first winning season in 20 yrs. Played for a national title in 87 behind Peterson.Marshall had so many great players.On Herdhaven Aaron Perkins who runs the board is in the Marshall hall of fame. He played from 93 to 96 I believe.I have not read much about the bobcat players. I know they must have some really good players but I cant name them. Its been a great ride and now two things is all that matters. 1, recruiting some of this country's best. 2, Developing those players. I know you have to let some kids go but I hate that. We have to get inside these young kids heads and stear them in the right path. When a team starts getting rid of players I have seen that bring even more players leaving. However I have confidence in Doc Holiday.He has his toughest job right now and needs support.You see him in a store go up and tell him you are behind him. He is very personable and will talk to you. Pruett was a great guy to talk to.

Historical relevance? What historical relevance does Marshall have

The winningest program of the 1990's

3 Heisman Finalists (2 who attended the ceremony, 1 just missed in the voting)

2 national championships

9-3 bowl record

5 MAC championships

1 CUSA championship

4 top 25 finishes

The list can continue, but it's really not necessary.

Please, share with the rest of the class exactly what OU has done of any national significance. And don't retort with, "uh..well...we beat you guys!" All that means is you have won some battles, but certainly not the war.

If anyone in our conference can its MTSU, they seem to be playing on the same level as WKU right now and they are heated rivals, so that is taken into account. LA Tech proved how to beat them last year, never will figure out why we didn't take the same approach. Blitz and Blitz often, Doughty cant handle it, much like Kent did to us. If you play like we did, he will eat you alive though, so you gotta go balls out against him. I am not sure Heater is aggressive enough to use that tactic though, or we would have used it last year.

Beefcake, agree about Heater. Hope to hell he has enough sense and gravitas to develop and use some blitzes before this last game of the season. Remember when MU use to have some delayed corner blitzes in our repertoire? Hell, one of the turning points of the OU game is when they used a delay corner blitz and their guy came untouched and really blasted Birdsong. I believe he was hurt on the play and his passes weren't effective after that. Doc and Heater's KISS, keep it simple, stupid, Plan to try and pressure the QB with plain vanilla 4 man rushes with no looping, stunts, etc., just ain't going to cut it. Just like WKU game last year and the loss at MTSU in 2013, especially on the last drive, and especially the last WVU drive during regulation in 2010 game at the Joan!!

Reactions: beefcake0520
So you want to play semantics? Okay. I never called you a dick; I said you were a dick about it.

I'm sorry if you don't like hearing about the crash for whatever reason (even though you brought it up), but there is no place for "screaming" just because you have to hear about it. That's a dick thing to say about anyone's point of view or life experiences. Try something like that with your wife (if you have one). See what she thinks.

Lol. How am I playing semantics when I am directly quoting you? You again just said that "I didn't call you a dick. I said that you were a dick about it." Let me zoom in on the part that confuses me. "I said that you were a dick." Perhaps I have taken your comment out of context the same as you did mine?

Why pick the last 18 games?

Going back to the.MACster's original question, because that the amount of time that it's statistically significant that we've played the MAC and that it's almost equal to the amount that we've in CUSA in that time (6 vs 8) in that time frame. Outside of that, it's basically Ohio and a two game series against BG that we've played since joining CUSA, that statistical oddity was the original observation of the thread.

Tony cried after you read our posts you went and bought you a marshall hoodie and hat. Good job little feller.

Lol. How am I playing semantics when I am directly quoting you? You again just said that "I didn't call you a dick. I said that you were a dick about it." Let me zoom in on the part that confuses me. "I said that you were a dick." Perhaps I have taken your comment out of context the same as you did mine?
Try underscoring the next two words also. I'm sure you are a nice enough guy....maybe....

That is true. Marshall DID dominate the MAC during their stay. However, moving out of a conference and claiming it was because The Herd was "too good" makes losing to an old conference opponent completely unacceptable. Some fans aren't as delusional and realize that the main reason was for financial and media coverage purposes.

We left for the TV revenue, NOT because we thought we were too good. You MAC fans need to have thicker skin and be smart enough to know that a handful of fans posting something on a message board to get a rise from you is not reality.

Reactions: andy4theherd
I think you're confusing me with BC 110 but I did buy a new MU golf shirt for the Purdue game! Kelly Green!
no i meant you. been waiting for you to post pal. after getting a history lesson on the herd i figured you now get it. hope u8 all kill oklahoma

no i meant you. been waiting for you to post pal. after getting a history lesson on the herd i figured you now get it. hope u8 all kill oklahoma
I'm always happy to give history lessons on the Herd...although I must warn you to many high points but some heartbreaking losses as well. As for WVU- Oklahoma, bet the over !

Reactions: BC110
Tony cried after you read our posts you went and bought you a marshall hoodie and hat. Good job little feller.
Going back to the.MACster's original question, because that the amount of time that it's statistically significant that we've played the MAC and that it's almost equal to the amount that we've in CUSA in that time (6 vs 8) in that time frame. Outside of that, it's basically Ohio and a two game series against BG that we've played since joining CUSA, that statistical oddity was the original observation of the thread.

That makes sense (Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic). Thanks for the answer. Sorry I hijacked this thread, but the argument that Marshall shouldn't play MAC teams just gets old (especially from a "MACster's" perspective. I mean, Marshall's most successful years in Div I football were spent in the MAC. It was in the MAC that most of your program history was made. I feel that the MAC treated you guys fairly well - I could be wrong). Marshall Football is a fine program with some good history. I like the Herd. I like the Herd so much that I have two degrees from Marshall University. I was raised a Bobcat fan, though. It's hard to hold allegiances to two schools at once, especially when they are football rivals. Thanks for the good conversations and may the Herd win out during the rest of their season. I have a friend that graduated from MU and WVU. It must especially be tough for him. Marshall and Ohio is a healthy rivalry with a general (mostly) respect for each other. We respect the Herd and what they have accomplished. The only team that we have NO respect for is Miami (at least that is one thing that MU and OU fans can do together...Hate Miami). That is a different kind of rivalry with us. It's not even considered a rivalry, it's a deeply seated hatred. I remember us talking to Herd fans this past year in Athens after the game and wishing them a safe trip back to Huntington. After Miami games, their fans are lucky that we don't cut their brakes. Have a good one!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT