ADVERTISEMENT

President Smith on New Athletic Director

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Good morning, Marshall University community,

I am pleased to announce that following an extensive national search, I have selected Christian Spears to serve as Marshall's next athletic director, effective March 14. The Board of Governors voted to approve the hire this morning.

Christian is coming to us from the University of Pittsburgh, where he has served as deputy athletic director since 2017. He is a transformational leader who exhibits a deep respect for tradition, combined with an ability to architect a vision to unleash potential. I am excited to welcome Christian to Marshall to serve in this pivotal role. You can read more about him here.

Christian will take over a storied athletics program that is a huge source of pride for all of us. He will succeed Jeff O’Malley, who has led the department with distinction as our interim athletic director since last July, when Mike Hamrick stepped down. Over the past eight months, Jeff successfully navigated our conference realignment and negotiated Marshall’s move to the Sun Belt Conference, in addition to leading the department through the challenges of COVID-19 and a transition in university leadership.

I want to extend my heart-felt thank you to Jeff for his leadership during this interim period. We have a proud legacy of great leaders like Jeff in our athletics department, so Christian will be standing on the shoulders of giants when he assumes the duties as the next athletic director for The Herd.

I also want to express my appreciation to the search committee for the time and energy they invested in the process over the last several weeks. They did an outstanding job researching and meeting with a strong slate of interested candidates, ultimately advancing four highly qualified finalists for on-campus interviews.

Last but not least, I want to say thank you to all Herd Nation. Your participation in the on-campus interviews, as well as your e-mails, phone calls and letters provided meaningful input into the final decision. Your engagement created an experience that left each finalist with a greater appreciation for the passion, the pride and the possibility that is ever-present here at Marshall.

Thank you!

Please join me in welcoming Christian and his family to Marshall and Huntington. Go Herd!

Sincerely,

Brad D. Smith

President

Alright... We got a guy from a P5 university coming off a New Year's Day bowl game.

I am beyond excited to spend the next couple days reading how this is -- A. The greatest hire in Marshall history and will guarantee future success for all Herd athletic programs. B. How this is the worst hire ever and will doom us to last place finishes in the Sun Belt for the next 10 years.

On the surface, Spears has all the qualifications/work history needed to be a good AD.

Yes - will be interested in Sam's take on the hire as well.

Pssssst - hint: "I will reserve my judgement on Spears until after day 1. IF he doesn't fire DD as his first official act, he will be banished from the island and suck our beloved Herds into the Mother of all sinkholes....!!! 😁

It's just ain't happening. IF DD wants another year, he will have it. Too many friends (BoG) + Brad S. is an ultra positive guy who is not going to have that kind of disruption this early in his tenure..........
I tend to agree with you, but Brad could have also went the safe route and kept Jeff on as well.

well considering he is an Attorney this should help him navigate the pending court battle with C-USA. Maybe they can settle this soon and out of court, a win win for both

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It's just ain't happening. IF DD wants another year, he will have it. Too many friends (BoG) + Brad S. is an ultra positive guy who is not going to have that kind of disruption this early in his tenure..........
I think you're correct but that "another year" needs to come with some strings! Something like we expect you to announce your retirement before the last home game next year , we'll play it up big and have a DD night.....then move on!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Pete Rose once said that there are two types of general managers in baseball. One knows how to build a winning team thought the draft and trades; and the other knows how to make sure they don't run out of hot dog buns.

While that is the pros, and Pete was trying to be funny, it is true. In the college context, some ADs have big decisions to make and get judgesd on that. Other quietly and behind the scenes make sure that all the logistics of running all these sports, the travel, the stadium management, the uniforms, the relationship with Satan, umm, Nike, all of that keeps going.

It seems to me that MU has made a lot of big decisions just recently. The decision to fire Doc and Mike, certainly. The decision to ride the soccer wave and have a soccer coach that is probably in the top 30 paid soccer coaches (including the pros) in the USA a smaller college in a part of the country not known for soccer, is another. The SBC decision, both over all and the brinksmanship with Judy and her clowns is another.

So what big decisions are left. Obviously the SBC end game is already planned out on legal advice to the SBC and all three of the schools, so that isn't it.

I only see only a handful in the short to mid-term.

Obviously, the biggest decision is does MU want to compete in the SBC at a serious level in men's basketball. That means, yes, firing DD. Or not.

Then, as the baseball stadium fund raising has failed (as predicted) does MU want to continue to play baseball, or replace it with something else. If yes, then what sort of small basic field can be built and how soon.

CH, may or may not present a decision. Another year like the previous should make any AD ready to shorten his leash. Two more and its time to go. A good year, or two or three, means looking for another coach as well.

Other than that, MU athletics probably is best served by good, behind the scenes, management. Get things organized, cleaned, on the same page, that sort of thing.

Some good points... A few decisions that do need made, and some fundraising items that need consideration I would include are.

1. What is the direction of mens basketball -- I think those discussions will happen once the season is over. It will be interesting to hear the new guy's take.
2. Is a baseball facility happening, or not -- Give an honest response. I don't see any scenario where MU eliminates baseball, but this whole stadium fiasco of the past 20+ years has to stop. If we are going to build something, get it done. If not, be honest and say it ain't happening and lets figure out an alternative.
3. The Joan needs work -- The football stadium is aging fast and at the very least needs some renovations/upgrades. Where is that money going to come from? What is the timetable for that?

Other than that, MU athletics probably is best served by good, behind the scenes, management. Get things organized, cleaned, on the same page, that sort of thing.

You do realize that was the reason for everything that happened over the course of 2 years, right? Not only was it everything the opposite, but it really put MU into a problematic position where no AD existed when we really needed one.
MU was lucky to have emerged the way it has.

Some good points... A few decisions that do need made, and some fundraising items that need consideration I would include are.

1. What is the direction of mens basketball -- I think those discussions will happen once the season is over. It will be interesting to hear the new guy's take.
2. Is a baseball facility happening, or not -- Give an honest response. I don't see any scenario where MU eliminates baseball, but this whole stadium fiasco of the past 20+ years has to stop. If we are going to build something, get it done. If not, be honest and say it ain't happening and lets figure out an alternative.
3. The Joan needs work -- The football stadium is aging fast and at the very least needs some renovations/upgrades. Where is that money going to come from? What is the timetable for that?

Given his past, I think he's a solid choice for what MU actually needs. He was in charge of fundraising and marketing, two things MU doesn't have.

If you haven't noticed a pattern emerging, MU's leadership appears to be much more in the realm of marketing and business. That's not to say they don't care about academics, but it seems more focused on growing MU as a brand, both academically and athletically.

Brad Smith is a businessman, he's not necessarily an academic, but he knows how to build a brand, and he does seem to genuinely care about WV as a state.
Spears' past jobs have him as a really solid fundraiser and marketer. He basically was the guy who did the actual work the Pitt AD is supposed to be doing (also shows how much money they have as they have, what appears to be, a separate marketing dept for the AD itself) and did a pretty good job with it.

In short, Spears is an AD extension of Brad Smith himself.

My questions are; like past folks who came here from larger, richer, and better run schools, how is he going to adjust to NOT having the resources he's used to?
A fickle and old fanbase who some will take O'Malley not being hired as some sort of personal attack, how do you get them back?
You want to grow the student body presence during sporting events but also don't have a major city or budget to present, how do you overcome that?
How can he grow the BG numbers?

As for the baseball stadium, its not a matter IF MU will have a baseball stadium, it's WHERE. I've heard 2 locations are being debated and contributed to holding up the re-bidding process.

And the Joan, its all a matter of need and yes, it does need some work, but the guy hasn't been officially introduced so we'll just have to wait and see.

Here's the reaction from Pitt.

Also Pitt has built a ton of new olympic sports facilities and is getting ready to build a new gym for wrestling, gymnastics, and volleyball.

What leg does DD have to stand on? Just hearing his pressers lately shows he'd be better off not coaching the team.
Considering Brad just hired a complete outsider, tells me he isn't bothered having to replace DD either.

What leg does DD have to stand on? Just hearing his pressers lately shows he'd be better off not coaching the team.
Considering Brad just hired a complete outsider, tells me he isn't bothered having to replace DD either.
GHMY - you are spot on, however: I know it seems unbelievable, but with Kathy D on the BoG, just no way he is shown the door after one losing season out of the last 7. Similar to Doc: We all couldn't believe it happened, but prob not too many were lighting torches & sharpening pitch forks 2 seasons removed from a Conf Championship.
My prediction, fwiw: Major overhaul of the coaching staff.

GHMY - you are spot on, however: I know it seems unbelievable, but with Kathy D on the BoG, just no way he is shown the door after one losing season out of the last 7. Similar to Doc: We all couldn't believe it happened, but prob not too many were lighting torches & sharpening pitch forks 2 seasons removed from a Conf Championship.
I am resigned to the fact he'll be back in 2022 -23! Just don't want him back in 2023-24!

More importantly, he needs to help 3-4 kids find a new home and hit the portal hard for a couple of lights out shooters for the 1-3 spots and a mobile, defensive big man. jmo

he may or may not be shown the door but to think one person, his sister on the Board can stop it if most really want it to happen is well, just silly .

Kathy D may be in the DISCUSSION about DD, but she will recuse herself from any VOTE on the matter. That's just how things are done in the business world when there is a conflict of interest.

It's going to look very stupid for the BoG and MU AD if they claim to want championships and athletic programs to be proud of, only to not renew the CUSA CoY football coach's contract but keep the underachieving b-ball HC.
I hope DD cares about the integrity of the program and steps down because of it. I doubt he wants to end his career with some of the worst seasons in b-ball history.

It's going to look very stupid for the BoG and MU AD if they claim to want championships and athletic programs to be proud of, only to not renew the CUSA CoY football coach's contract but keep the underachieving b-ball HC.
I hope DD cares about the integrity of the program and steps down because of it. I doubt he wants to end his career with some of the worst seasons in b-ball history.
Were you cloned from Sam? Aside from his first year when he was left with Herriot's remnants of a disaster, DD has only had one other losing season (this year). That's hardly what I would call some of the worst seasons in MU bball history.

He was in charge of fundraising and marketing, two things MU doesn't have.
Other than the indoor practice facility and soccer stadium, no, not at all.

And as to marketing, challenge: go more than a mile off the campus of ANY CUSA, SBC, or MAC, and heck, I will toss in the AAC (leaving out Cincinnati fans with BRAND NEW gear which will be in the Goodwill in a couple years) and find any evidence that those schools exist. MU has a larger footprint than almost any G5 school within its state.
Brad Smith is a businessman, he's not necessarily an academic, but he knows how to build a brand, and he does seem to genuinely care about WV as a state.
Caring about the state of WV IS the Marshall brand.
My questions are; like past folks who came here from larger, richer, and better run schools, how is he going to adjust to NOT having the resources he's used to?
He was at Pitt, which generally plays before a half full stadium, for five years. Prior to that, he was at Eastern Michigan, arguabaly the smallest fan base in I-A and which operates on almost 100% student fees and taxpayer dollars. Then NIU, a fine school but nobody will ever confuse it with non-directional Illinois, also almost 100% subsidy; and then Southern Illinois, a great school academically, but I-AA fan free football. Then an internship at OSU, which is fine, and started at Cal State Long Beach, which, like everything else, is lost in 10000000 things to do in LA.
You want to grow the student body presence during sporting events but also don't have a major city or budget to present, how do you overcome that?
How can he grow the BG numbers?
W I N. Win at football, win at men’s basketball, keep the men’s soccer program world class, and try to duplicate that at all the other minor sports. W I N. W I N.
As for the baseball stadium, its not a matter IF MU will have a baseball stadium, it's WHERE. I've heard 2 locations are being debated and contributed to holding up the re-bidding process.
Believe it when I am sitting in it. But if we have indeed raised the money for a baseball field, that kind of contradicts your first point, yet again.
And the Joan, its all a matter of need and yes, it does need some work.
And Pitt doesn’t even have a football stadium, has a baseball field that seats 900, and a soccer field that seats 735. And its basketball arena is a general arena in the city, managed by a private company (AEG), with 100s of non-college events every year to pay the freight.

I trust Brad Smith to have evaluated the candidates thoroughly and selected the one he believes will move MU forward. His educational and work history are solid. Let's give him a couple of years and then we can all critique his progress. As mentioned above, lots of change is top-level personnel at MU recently. I think this is a sign that we should be optimistic about the future of MU, as well as our home state of WV.

Were you cloned from Sam? Aside from his first year when he was left with Herriot's remnants of a disaster, DD has only had one other losing season (this year). That's hardly what I would call some of the worst seasons in MU bball history.

"Championships or your team is mediocre."

Words spoken by the football fanbase, which still are spoken, should be held true to ALL sports fanbases.

Dan has been mediocre since the NCAA tournament.
The one aspect you failed miserably to observe is that at least during MU's time in CUSA prior to Dan, it was a far more competitive league.

Do you think another year is going to be any better for DD or MU BBall? He can't win in a watered down league...not even be competitive either.

Other than the indoor practice facility and soccer stadium, no, not at all.

And as to marketing, challenge: go more than a mile off the campus of ANY CUSA, SBC, or MAC, and heck, I will toss in the AAC (leaving out Cincinnati fans with BRAND NEW gear which will be in the Goodwill in a couple years) and find any evidence that those schools exist. MU has a larger footprint than almost any G5 school within its state.

Caring about the state of WV IS the Marshall brand.

He was at Pitt, which generally plays before a half full stadium, for five years. Prior to that, he was at Eastern Michigan, arguabaly the smallest fan base in I-A and which operates on almost 100% student fees and taxpayer dollars. Then NIU, a fine school but nobody will ever confuse it with non-directional Illinois, also almost 100% subsidy; and then Southern Illinois, a great school academically, but I-AA fan free football. Then an internship at OSU, which is fine, and started at Cal State Long Beach, which, like everything else, is lost in 10000000 things to do in LA.

W I N. Win at football, win at men’s basketball, keep the men’s soccer program world class, and try to duplicate that at all the other minor sports. W I N. W I N.

Believe it when I am sitting in it. But if we have indeed raised the money for a baseball field, that kind of contradicts your first point, yet again.

And Pitt doesn’t even have a football stadium, has a baseball field that seats 900, and a soccer field that seats 735. And its basketball arena is a general arena in the city, managed by a private company (AEG), with 100s of non-college events every year to pay the freight.
Goddamn Sam, Pitt has an NFL stadium, so I imagine their setup is different...and a hell of a recruiting tool.
I admit, I have no idea how the finances work between a city/privately owned venue and an NCAA sports program, but if they can bring a team to play in said venue and not have to pay as much to upkeep it, then that's not a bad approach.
Of course, its Pittsburgh who likely isn't starved for money.

As for Brad Smith and helping WV as a whole, that remains to be seen because WV may be the best at working against itself.

Not sure what the rest of your insane rambling is meant to cover with this, besides the fact we won't see you sitting in anything MU builds, as you've been against the stadium being built and feel its a silly idea to begin with.
This also includes football games since you despise MU leaving CUSA and somehow just appear like a ghost on posts that support the SBC move, as though we're supposed to forget how opposed you were from the start.

Reactions: caliherd
Kathy D may be in the DISCUSSION about DD, but she will recuse herself from any VOTE on the matter. That's just how things are done in the business world when there is a conflict of interest.
When you recuse yourself, you cannot even participate in the discussion.

********* Sam, Pitt has an NFL stadium,
Umm, no the Steelers have an NFL stadium. The Steelers keep it up, the Steelers pay for it, the Steelers decide when it is time to renovate the restrooms, the Steelers do everything. Likewise Pitt’s basketball arena is managed by a private company and it has 100s of non-Pitt basketball events in it per year.

So, “facility management” at Pitt means a tiny soccer field, a tiny baseball and softball complex, and the old basketball arena used for wrestling, volleyball etc.

I admit, I have no idea how the finances work between a city/privately owned venue and an NCAA sports program, but if they can bring a team to play in said venue and not have to pay as much to upkeep it, then that's not a bad approach.
I know you don’t have an idea.

But the point, which you missed totally, is that Pitt has no upkeep expenses or input for its two major sports. Others do it.
Not sure what the rest of your insane rambling is meant to cover with this, besides the fact we won't see you sitting in anything MU builds, as you've been against the stadium being built and feel its a silly idea to begin with.

Yes, I understand that building a baseball stadium or park, when a field will do, is dumb and also unattainable. Time to admit that and build a field.
This also includes football games since you despise MU leaving CUSA and somehow just appear like a ghost on posts that support the SBC move, as though we're supposed to forget how opposed you were from the start.

Again, link or STFU.

Umm, no the Steelers have an NFL stadium. The Steelers keep it up, the Steelers pay for it, the Steelers decide when it is time to renovate the restrooms, the Steelers do everything. Likewise Pitt’s basketball arena is managed by a private company and it has 100s of non-Pitt basketball events in it per year.

So, “facility management” at Pitt means a tiny soccer field, a tiny baseball and softball complex, and the old basketball arena used for wrestling, volleyball etc.

I know you don’t have an idea.

But the point, which you missed totally, is that Pitt has no upkeep expenses or input for its two major sports. Others do it.

Yes, I understand that building a baseball stadium or park, when a field will do, is dumb and also unattainable. Time to admit that and build a field.

Again, link or STFU.
Once again I'm sensing that you're not on board with the hiring of the new AD. Does anything MU does satisfy you?

Once again I'm sensing that you're not on board with the hiring of the new AD. Does anything MU does satisfy you?
Did not say that at all. Seems fine to me. I was just responding to an ignorant post with the facts of where this man came from debunking the ignorant idea that he is somehow “used to having all the resources”.

Nothing more.

Again, we will judge this guy in a few years when the newness of the SBC has worn off, and the chirping about dirty toilets and “reseating” (asking people to actually PAY for what they get), no baseball field, DD and his band of players from either the WV coalfields or places that will be part of Russia next Tuesday, etc, kick in.

I've been saying that. Apparently folks do not believe that will happen. I am sure she will not even be a part of the conversation if such occurs in the BOG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT