ADVERTISEMENT

Props to the WVU Fans

I don't think Huggs likes giving up home games and I don't think he likes playing in Charleston. I don't think he likes the Charleston game regardless of who WVU is playing.
I agree with him there. The Charleston game was always stupid, IMO.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It was heartwarming to see them cheering for us. Their pep band was really into it. All that goodwill was ruined when Thuggins gave his press conf., stumbling to come up with yet another stupid excuse not to play.......because we are four hours away. He’s a sad, angry person. Vile and belligerent

He is just espousing the party line up there in Motown as established by University President, kook, egomaniac, bigot and loose cannon E. Geek and his arrogance and condescending attitude towards everything and everybody outside of his little kingdom, including Marshall!!

It was heartwarming to see them cheering for us. Their pep band was really into it. All that goodwill was ruined when Thuggins gave his press conf., stumbling to come up with yet another stupid excuse not to play.......because we are four hours away. He’s a sad, angry person. Vile and belligerent

He didn’t say anything negative at all in the presser. He purposely didn’t address it.

I honestly have no idea. Play home and home. Screw the neutral site. My understanding is that was forced by the WVlegislature years ago.

We were basically forced by our legislature to play Louisville in all sports every year. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose, just like WV.

It has been good for our state, though.

It's very funny all the respect comments I see on FB. WV who fans are typing how it's just great to see home teams play on a national stage. And how one West Virginia team will advance to the Sweet 16. It's allot of respect. Why? I mean wait a second.,,,I already know. If the Herd wins, we will hear 10-0 or whatever the record is! Go Herd! Remember keep it classy!

Reactions: alpinisti
Not to mention, Vernon getting trigger happy with the ban-bazooka over at their site.

If the Herd handles their press, wvu leaves 3 point shooters wide open. However, I look for Huggins to play a bunch of 1-3-1 against the Herd.

That plays in our hand, WVU is a more phsyical MTSU. We have seen our whole conference play like that against us all year. We just have to hit our shots.

Ok maybe so it’s not going to make me go put on a WVU shirt and scream Lets Go Mountaineers. But it honestly looked to me like they were legitimately rooting for us.

If they truly were rooting for us because we were the lower seed it could be a case if be careful what you wish for. Marshall and WVU have always had good games in basketball no matter the records or rankings.

In any event it was cool in my eyes, it will probably be the only time in my life I will give out a compliment to WVU but I think in this case they deserve it.

They was but it was like they had too.

Clemson and Auburn fans straight up did not root for each other.

Sunday inside Viejas will be great.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Then I'm sure they play at least one school at a neutral site. I'm sure Louisville does the same?

UK has played teams not named UofL in Louisville. It would be a stretch to call that a neutral site, UK is truly a state-wide fan base, and with the Louisville area having a population of over one million they havd no problem packing the stands with 99.99% UK fans. Attendance in those games fell off at the end, because Freedom Hall has become a shithole. I'm not sure who they played in those games at Freedom Hall (UK does not get to use the Yum Center) but it was always awful, shitty programs. It's been a few years since they did this, as Freedom Hall is in disrepair and has developed an odor (seriously). UK also has played games in Cincinnati, but again they have a huge fan base in that area.

UofL has played WKU in Bowling Green, hard to believe for you I am sure. They have also played WKU in Nashville; both schools have a large alumni base in Nashville, Nashville is a popular weekend getaway for Louisville residents, and Nashville is a short drive from Bowling Green.

Of course, there is no centrally located neutral site for UK vs UofL.

Indiana has played Butler in Indianapolis. Hinkle Fieldhouse is much too small for that matchup, so the games have been played Bankers Life Fieldhouse (home of the Pacers). IU has also played at U of Evansville and IUPUI Fort Wayne.

Bottom line: get off your high horse. WVU has a nice program, and I enjoy watching your games because you all play physical and dirty (that's how I learned to play the game), but trying to compare yourselves to UK or even UofL is laughable. You are not the big time of NCAA hoops.

I posted that in reply to The Fev saying that Clemson fans and Auburn fans straight up did not root for each other...the difference being that both MU & WVU are in the same state.
Got it. Going to be a long wait until 9:40 tomorrow. I just hope Higgins isn't one of the refs

I was at the game and cheered hard for Marshall to win even though I am a WVU fan. Years ago most all WVU grads from the state of WV cheered for Marshall when not playing WVU. Now I see so much hate from the Marshall fans who are from WV. You didn’t see as much of this years ago.

Let’s face it in the last 10 years Marshall hasn’t been on the same level as WVU in basketball. I think this is the first time Marshall has won a game in the NCAA tourney in many years. I certainly don’t think Marshall would have won many games in the big 12 this year either.

WVU didn’t offer Elmore a scholarship, but neither did any other P5 conference team. I bet that would change knowing what they know now. Same with Burke. I want to see them both play well and have great success in the future.

Marshall is certainly playing well and capable of beating WVU. It will be an interesting game. If Marshall wins I will certainly be cheering them on the rest of the way.

OK, here goes.

- I wish we were not playing WVU.

- In WV, actual WVU alumni have been reasonably nice about the whole thing. Actual WVU alumni know what WVU is and, while they certainly are, and should be, rooting for their alma mater, have always been more than a little put off by not only the "billy bobs from the hollers" but the ignorant spew that comes from the WVU hype machine that fuels the Billy Bob culture Not just recently, but for a long time, I have had more than one actual WVU alumni pine for something more realistic and adult. Being told that some no-star turned down Alabama and Notre Dame and sitting next to people that actually believe that has to be hard on college educated people.

- What you are seeing in SD is a function of the fact that the game is in SD. If it were in Pittsburgh or Charlotte, or even Detroit, it would be different. Billy Bob from the holler is home in his trailer.

- The non-alumni, most often of any school, including high school, are mostly being what they have always been. To really buy into that program requires either a near total suspension of disbelief, or a level of intellect as to not get that what the lap dog media says is just crazy. Or being 12. I have seen some good non-alumni WVU fans, and some bad, same as always. Actually several fairly nice comments.

- Huggins is a drunk and a walking heart attack. He is a classic journeyman coach. There is a reason his gimmick game plans run out of steam when he gets against the blue chip players.

- Gee is a racist and a religious bigot and an embarrassment to the state. Justice should have fired him on day one. It says a lot about WVU and what it perceives as its mission (which, news flash, is NOT ABOUT YOU if you live in WV) that this person is employed there.

- WVU uses sports to make non-alumni think of it as "us" and not question why it is the largest black hole in the state budget. Imagine if WV had a college that did for it what a state university is supposed to do. WVU is a big reason we are 50th. As long as the first sentence of this paragraph is true, and it is and has been for many generations, what is good for WVU is bad for WV and v-v.

I am a decades long fan of both WVU and Marshall, and a Marshall grad. I love em both.

When I was a boy some of my first sports memories are listening on the radio to Marshall games when Danny D'Antoni was roaming the court. Then his brother Mike came along accompanied by Russell Lee, Ty Collins and Bill James. I forget the name of the power forward (It might be Gary Orsini or Randy something), but it will come to me (tonight at 3 in the morning). I also have many, many great memories of WVU.I even attended a basketball camp led by Hot Rod Hundley. I have an autobiography autographed in person by Jery West. This was back when his nose had been broken 11 times and looked like a country road departing Logan County.

I wish they were meeting in the Final Four, but this is cool too.

My heart tells me I have to go with the Herd, but I hope it is a 4 O-T win that gets national attention because the bakyard brawl is a nail biter.

My head says that the Jevon Carter-led ball pressure will wear out Marshall around midway through the second half. However, I expect the first half to be pretty close especially as the emotion carries the Herd.

When I come on here and read the sniping that goes on between the schools it seems so incredibly ill-advised on both sides. Marshall's football and basketball history has glory but is not the equal of WVU's. Why Marshall fans pretend otherwise makes no sense. It is an unwinnable argument.

WVU fans who snipe at Marshall are simply ignorant bullies. They need to snipe with someone like Penn State or Virginia Tech in football or Maryland in basketball, that is, someone with similarly supplied athletic budgets. The sniping I am referring to his unreasonably vicious and personal,not the good-natured ribbing that keeps in perspective that we are only talking about sports.

Last edited:
Yeah I honestly wish we were playing Murray State instead of WVU. Just don't want to go through all the vitriol again. It's nice not hearing from them since we don't play. This game will drum up lot of that old stuff back up again.

Reactions: ohio herd
Imagine if WV had a college that did for it what a state university is supposed to do. WVU is a big reason we are 50th.

This is accurate. What IU and Purdue have done for Indiana is a great example of what universities should do for a rural/manufacturing state transitioning into technology. And they do it together with joint campuses, not one trying to screw the other (which IU could have done, it has the state law school and lawyers, and thus the legislature).

Reactions: The Real SamC
This is accurate. What IU and Purdue have done for Indiana is a great example of what universities should do for a rural/manufacturing state transitioning into technology. And they do it together with joint campuses, not one trying to screw the other (which IU could have done, it has the state law school and lawyers, and thus the legislature).

Don’t blame our ass backwards politicians in this state on West Virginia University. West Virginia University encouraged this state to diversify from coal years ago. You guys get credit for assholes like this.

Mitch_Carmichael.jpg

Reactions: putnam green
Don’t blame our ass backwards politicians in this state on West Virginia University. West Virginia University encouraged this state to diversify from coal years ago. You guys get credit for assholes like this.

A couple of lonesome voices there, sure. As a whole, no. For a very long time WVU's only program of note was...get this...mining engineering. WVU and politicians with WVU law degrees have circled-jerked for decades

I don't think Huggs likes giving up home games and I don't think he likes playing in Charleston. I don't think he likes the Charleston game regardless of who WVU is playing.

What has Huggins done to deserve so much power? Absolutely nothing.

At the end of the day getting respect is about winning National Championships. Huggins and WV have as many as Marshall, zero.

What has Huggins done to deserve so much power?

At the end of the day getting respect is about winning National Championships. Huggins and WV have as many as Marshall, zero.
It's his program. He can make the decision on who he wants to play and where. So only if you have a national championship you can manage your program how you see fit? Lol.

It's his program. He can make the decision on who he wants to play and where. So only if you have a national championship you can manage your program how you see fit? Lol.

Exactly.

Successful coaches should be allowed to make their own schedule. Huggins is not one of those coaches and WV is not one of those places that people want to play.

At small programs similar to WV, the coach should obviously have some input. However, it should also be the decision of the AD, the President and the Board, especially with decisions such as this one.

Exactly.

Successful coaches should be allowed to make their own schedule. Huggins is not one of those coaches and WV is not one of those places that people want to play.

At small programs similar to WV, the coach should obviously have some input. However, it should also be the decision of the AD, the President and the Board, especially with decisions such as this one.
Where does Huggins rank in wins for active coaches? Future HOF'er. He can make his own decisions. Even your boy Cal has great respect for Huggs. Looks like he also has the support of his boss and the prez.

I am a decades long fan of both WVU and Marshall, and a Marshall grad. I love em both.

the good-natured ribbing that keeps in perspective that we are only talking about sports.

Everyone will blow by your post but I wanted to acknowledge it. Sports is taken way too seriously in our culture and your cogent comments will go unnoticed, especially on a sports forum. But I agree. I grew up bleeding blue and gold and it will always be so, but I have also rooted for Marshall and it came as naturally to do it as for the Mountaineers. They represented my state, which gets so much ignorant sh** dumped on it from outside its boundaries. I have family that graduated from BOTH schools, so my family and I choose to root for who we want.

Where does Huggins rank in wins for active coaches? Future HOF'er. He can make his own decisions. Even your boy Cal has great respect for Huggs. Looks like he also has the support of his boss and the prez.

I highly doubt Huggins is in the Hall of Fame without a Championship, which he will never win at WV.

I like Huggins most of the time, too. He seems like a great guy that I’d love to have a beer with. However, he can be somewhat arrogant and there’s really no reason why. His recruiting has been interesting over the years. He’s never been to a championship game before and he’s at a place that can never get him there.

I thought you said that Huggins makes all the decisions?

And I believe he does. Where did i contradict that statement?

Huggs will be a HOF'er. Cal even made that statement. I'll take his opinion over yours

Cal likes Huggins and I’m sure he would help him. I’m also sure some of that was coach speak.

Without a Championship, I think it will be very hard to get in.

You said it looks like has the support of the President and AD

LOL. Huggins not successful. He is currently 12th all time in wins and will jump three spots in the next year and another spot in two years.

As far as people wanting to play in Morgantown, we have one and ones with UVA and UK.

You sound foolish.

Cal likes Huggins and I’m sure he would help him. I’m also sure some of that was coach speak.

Without a Championship, I think it will be very hard to get in.

You said it looks like has the support of the President and AD
He wasn't overridden in his decision was he? So how is having their support not making your own decisions?

LOL. Huggins not successful. He is currently 12th all time in wins and will jump three spots in the next year and another spot in two years.

As far as people wanting to play in Morgantown, we have one and ones with UVA and UK.

You sound foolish.

Talk about foolish.

He wins games, but not usually against top competition. He never really has at either Cincinnati or WV. Also, Kentucky was forced
to play there because of the SEC-Big 12 challenge every year. How did that go for you?

No idea about UVA, but I’d have to think it would be a similar reason.

Talk about being foolish. Try knowing what you’re actually talking about before calling someone else foolish.

Talk about foolish.

He wins games, but not usually against top competition. He never really has at either Cincinnati or WV. Also, Kentucky was forced
to play there because of the SEC-Big 12 challenge every year. How did that go for you?

No idea about UVA, but I’d have to think it would be a similar reason.

Talk about being foolish. Try knowing what you’re actually talking about before calling someone else foolish.
UVa was a 1-1. WVU won both.

I don’t think the NCAA will allow it since he is from the Big XII. One of the worst officials in the entire NCAA. He needs his license taken from him.

He is not a B12 ref, he works B12 games and several other leagues. These guys are independent contractors and work multiple conferences. I’ve seen him in CIS and other ACC gyms for years. BH is a bully and attempts to intimidate, from my seat Higgins doesn’t tolerate his nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT