ADVERTISEMENT

Props to the WVU Fans

He is not a B12 ref, he works B12 games and several other leagues. These guys are independent contractors and work multiple conferences. I’ve seen him in CIS and other ACC gyms for years. BH is a bully and attempts to intimidate, from my seat Higgins doesn’t tolerate his nonsense.
Higgins lines to insert himself into a game. Just ask UK fans who made death threats against him.

Where does Huggins rank in wins for active coaches? Future HOF'er. He can make his own decisions. Even your boy Cal has great respect for Huggs. Looks like he also has the support of his boss and the prez.

People always say Huggins is a future HOF

Newsflash if he was going to be a HOF he would have been already he has already coached long enough.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I will always be a Marshall fan before a WVU fan. I like them both, but I have always been a really big Herd fan and always will be. With that being said, my favorite team is the EKU Colonels. We know we are better than both schools and while I'm at it we are better than UK too. Go Herd!!!!

COLONEL UP!!!!

Talk about foolish.

He wins games, but not usually against top competition. He never really has at either Cincinnati or WV. Also, Kentucky was forced
to play there because of the SEC-Big 12 challenge every year. How did that go for you?.

Not against top competition? Hahahaha. We’re in the Big XII. Ever heard of Kansas? The team we beat the last several years. UVA had only two losses all year. Yep, one was to WVU. Texas Tech just moved on to the Sweet 16 and beat Florida. We beat them twice this year. We beat UVA last year, who beat the eventual national champion, UNC. As far as the UK game goes, we were up by 17 and handed them the game in the last four minutes.

You have went from foolish to idiot.

I guess most of you are too young to realize there was a time when every Mountaineer was a fan of BOTH WVU and Marshall. I had to be on the east coast for business this last two weeks, if not for that I would have been there. And I would have been rooting for both schools. Today though I am only rooting for one school, but I won't be happy to see either team knocked out.

He is not a B12 ref, he works B12 games and several other leagues. These guys are independent contractors and work multiple conferences. I’ve seen him in CIS and other ACC gyms for years. BH is a bully and attempts to intimidate, from my seat Higgins doesn’t tolerate his nonsense.

He is a Big XII ref. You should know what you are talking about before you attempt to make an argument.

“Though Higgins is available to work for any league, his home base is the Big 12. That league's officiating coordinator, Curtis Shaw, has heard occasional complaints about Higgins's heavy workload from coaches.” Sports Illustrated

The Big XII actually forbid him from working any WVU games for the rest of the season after the Kansas game.

Here is the article showing how UK fans feel about him. He screwed you guys in the WSU game on a few callls.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-fans-following-loss-north-carolina-tar-heels

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
It was heartwarming to see them cheering for us. Their pep band was really into it. All that goodwill was ruined when Thuggins gave his press conf., stumbling to come up with yet another stupid excuse not to play.......because we are four hours away. He’s a sad, angry person. Vile and belligerent
It doesn’t help your cause when your coach says WVU is afraid to play or, years earlier your AD calls WVU cowards from the capital steps.

He is just espousing the party line up there in Motown as established by University President, kook, egomaniac, bigot and loose cannon E. Geek and his arrogance and condescending attitude towards everything and everybody outside of his little kingdom, including Marshall!!
This was established way before President Gee. By the way, do your parents know that you are on the computer?

He is a Big XII ref. You should know what you are talking about before you attempt to make an argument.

“Though Higgins is available to work for any league, his home base is the Big 12. That league's officiating coordinator, Curtis Shaw, has heard occasional complaints about Higgins's heavy workload from coaches.” Sports Illustrated

The Big XII actually forbid him from working any WVU games for the rest of the season after the Kansas game.

Here is the article showing how UK fans feel about him. He screwed you guys in the WSU game on a few callls.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-fans-following-loss-north-carolina-tar-heels

Conferences don’t have a staff of officials on their payroll. I don’t care how many B12 games he calls he is not a B12 ref. I see him multiple times in Cameron every year as well as other ACC gyms. Your coach has a problem with him so that means you have a problem with him.

I was in the arena this afternoon with my son and here are my take-aways on the WVU fan base that was in attendance:

1. Genuinely pulled for The Herd... maybe some was the "Lower Seed" piece, but I think more of it was the fact that Danny has so many kids FROM West Virginia on the team from across the State.
  2. They were extraordinarily friendly and congratulatory with High 5s for my 10 year old boy(who was the only person in the arena with face paint on... come on band members - step it up) I know, I know... never in my life thought I would say that after some of my experiences in Morgantown having quarters thrown at the back of my head when I was a student manager and grad assistant.
  3. Much of the WVU crowd were legitimate graduates and well-heeled professionals - it was not the "Billy-Bob from the Holler" crowd of WVU fans (and we have them too, so not trying to fire a shot - just an observation). Face it - we're probably talking about $2,500+ for the weekend if we're talking two plane tickets, two all-session game tickets, San Diego hotel prices, rental car, and food - if not more. You're going to get a different crowd than a regular home game in any arena - Henderson Center or Coliseum.
  4. Marshall Fans stuck around and rooted for WVU - there was a ton of reciprocity in that regard.
And my take on the game on Sunday:
  1. Great for the State of West Virginia - much better than the regular season play in Charleston garbage. Someone from WV is going to the Sweet 16.
  2. Normal order will be restored in the galaxy and fans of both schools will return to the normal frosty relations - perhaps on a more dignified level than usual - but frosty nonetheless.
  3. Marshall must MAKE more 3 pointers than the number of turnovers that WVU can generate with its pressure. Tall order, but doable - all about the early offense (i.e., short-corner open three point shot) after beating the press and clearing half-court - we can't let them press and then set their defense.
  4. Penava has to avoid foul trouble and play 30-35 minutes of the game which will be a really tall order against WVUs much more imposing front court. Its not about fouling out - its about staying out of early foul trouble. No Penava = No real chance for victory.
  5. The gametime matters - being the last game of the day is a huge plus for Marshall. Since we only go 7-8 players deep, that give us another couple of hours to get our legs back after today's game. We're the last game of the night, so tipoff is going to be around 7:00pm out here on the West Coast.
Will we win... heck, I don't know. Can we win... with this team, I think the answer is definitely "yes" IF we take care of bullet points 3 and 4. Regardless of the outcome, this team is amazing and the entire Huntington community should be incredibly proud of them. To a man, Head Coach to Freshman Manager, we spend most of the day Thursday with the team in some capacity or another and they are a GREAT bunch of guys. Approachable, personable, humble, proud, and determined... well done Coach D'Antoni - they are a reflection of their leader!
I was in the arena this afternoon with my son and here are my take-aways on the WVU fan base that was in attendance:

1. Genuinely pulled for The Herd... maybe some was the "Lower Seed" piece, but I think more of it was the fact that Danny has so many kids FROM West Virginia on the team from across the State.
  2. They were extraordinarily friendly and congratulatory with High 5s for my 10 year old boy(who was the only person in the arena with face paint on... come on band members - step it up) I know, I know... never in my life thought I would say that after some of my experiences in Morgantown having quarters thrown at the back of my head when I was a student manager and grad assistant.
  3. Much of the WVU crowd were legitimate graduates and well-heeled professionals - it was not the "Billy-Bob from the Holler" crowd of WVU fans (and we have them too, so not trying to fire a shot - just an observation). Face it - we're probably talking about $2,500+ for the weekend if we're talking two plane tickets, two all-session game tickets, San Diego hotel prices, rental car, and food - if not more. You're going to get a different crowd than a regular home game in any arena - Henderson Center or Coliseum.
  4. Marshall Fans stuck around and rooted for WVU - there was a ton of reciprocity in that regard.
And my take on the game on Sunday:
  1. Great for the State of West Virginia - much better than the regular season play in Charleston garbage. Someone from WV is going to the Sweet 16.
  2. Normal order will be restored in the galaxy and fans of both schools will return to the normal frosty relations - perhaps on a more dignified level than usual - but frosty nonetheless.
  3. Marshall must MAKE more 3 pointers than the number of turnovers that WVU can generate with its pressure. Tall order, but doable - all about the early offense (i.e., short-corner open three point shot) after beating the press and clearing half-court - we can't let them press and then set their defense.
  4. Penava has to avoid foul trouble and play 30-35 minutes of the game which will be a really tall order against WVUs much more imposing front court. Its not about fouling out - its about staying out of early foul trouble. No Penava = No real chance for victory.
  5. The gametime matters - being the last game of the day is a huge plus for Marshall. Since we only go 7-8 players deep, that give us another couple of hours to get our legs back after today's game. We're the last game of the night, so tipoff is going to be around 7:00pm out here on the West Coast.
Will we win... heck, I don't know. Can we win... with this team, I think the answer is definitely "yes" IF we take care of bullet points 3 and 4. Regardless of the outcome, this team is amazing and the entire Huntington community should be incredibly proud of them. To a man, Head Coach to Freshman Manager, we spend most of the day Thursday with the team in some capacity or another and they are a GREAT bunch of guys. Approachable, personable, humble, proud, and determined... well done Coach D'Antoni - they are a reflection of their leader!
Like Charles Barkley said its the foolish ignorant fans who don't want to play. In football play them in Morgantown and reward the herd with a game back in huntington. Being 0-12 gives us zero leverage in picking where the game is played. Make them an offer they can't confuse.

Reactions: TeenWolfChubby
This was established way before President Gee. By the way, do your parents know that you are on the computer?

Eerfool, still in a sour mood, eh, cause Mommy took the teat away??

Last edited:
Conferences don’t have a staff of officials on their payroll. I don’t care how many B12 games he calls he is not a B12 ref. I see him multiple times in Cameron every year as well as other ACC gyms. Your coach has a problem with him so that means you have a problem with him.

I'd say it probably has something to do with the fact that he was an official in a game where Kansas had 35 free throws & WVU had 2. That's damn near impossible, yet it happened under his watch. The biggest problem with officials today is that they work WAY too many games & there is very little accountability when they screw up.

Last edited:
Cal likes Huggins and I’m sure he would help him. I’m also sure some of that was coach speak.

Without a Championship, I think it will be very hard to get in.

You said it looks like has the support of the President and AD

Bob Huggins will be in the Hall of Fame. Active coaches don't get in without a title. There are a ton that have gotten in without one after they retire. If Huggs never wins a title, he'll get in once he retires. There is no doubt about it.

No one said WVU was on Kentucky's level. Regardless, WVU/Marshall is not on the same level as power 5 vs. power 5 rivalries. It just isn't. I'm not sure why people keep comparing apples to orangutans over & over again.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers
It was awesome to see both teams playing each other. If it wasn't at midnight in Japan it would have been even better for basketball fans to appreciate the in state matchup... Like DD Said- no one really lost. It was in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. Basically 10% of the schools remaining at that time were from WV.. pretty cool. I don't think its really going to happen any time soon for them to play, and I am not sure it's even a good thing (although I understand the argument). But it was still pretty damn cool considering the circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Bob Huggins will be in the Hall of Fame. Active coaches don't get in without a title. There are a ton that have gotten in without one after they retire.
I'm not sure that's totally accurate. Temple's coach, John Chaney, was inducted sometime in the early 2000's, and I know he coached Temple a few years after being inducted. Without looking it up, he may very well be the only one.

Like Charles Barkley said its the foolish ignorant fans who don't want to play. In football play them in Morgantown and reward the herd with a game back in huntington. Being 0-12 gives us zero leverage in picking where the game is played. Make them an offer they can't confuse.

I think the teams should play in football on a 2 for 1 or even a 1 for 1 because that seems to be what Marshall fans have the biggest boner about. Seems like theyd rather have the respect of the 1 for 1 than having a 2 for 1 with an extra chance at winning one of the games. Maybe just my dumb logic but why not have as many games as possible? But IMO the football game should be played and I think WVU should take advantage of local games, even if it is in Huntington sometimes. It's hard enough for local games in football.

That being said, there are way more teams in basketball willing to play in Morgantown, therefore a 6 hour round trip is not needed in the eyes of WVU. They would rather go to Duquense which to them makes way more sense and how can you argue with that other than 'its good for the state'. Is it? If it was a good thing then Charleston would have always been sold out. Both team's fans are embarassing for not filling up the Civic Center. I would genuinely like to know what the justification is for basketball to happen? As I have seen posted before, and has always been my argument, does Ohio State go to Athens? Does Kentucky go to WKU? Does Texas go to Rice or UTSA? I know I am a lone wolf on the opinion of wishing it was in Charleston because I enjoyed it, but considering WVU's basketball travel schedule already, I can certainly understand why it's not.

Football is different because it's one game a week, and sometimes not even that often. I hope they play in football in the future. I just think it makes ways more sense to play the football game that it does the basketball game.... logistically.

No one said WVU was on Kentucky's level.

Do what? Comparing itself to programs, in both football and basketball, that are light years above it is the ESSENCE of what WVU fandom is all about. Have you read your own boards? Your own posts? Do you listen to Crap-ridi? Read the Gag-zette? Watch WOWK?

The stuff hard core WVU people say, and thus must ACTUALLY BELIEVE, is so laughable. Every recruit is a five star who actually had offers from championship programs. Every coach is a super genius who WVU snatched from the grasp of championship programs. Every game is a certain victory. The game day atmosphere is amazing. The band is world class. The school is elite. On and on.

Reality. No one playing for WVU in any sport is there for any reason other than he was turned down by bigger programs (or got caught taking steroids). WVU has in its history generated exactly four coaches good enough to try their hand at a higher level (Belein, who is doing OK; Rodriquez, who failed totally; Schaus, who never won the NBA title and then failed at Purdue; and Bowden, who , never forget considered Florida State, a then poor school that had never won a thing and had been a girls school until 18 years before, a step up). WVU gameday pales contrasted to even the lower half of what goes on in the SEC or ACC (which both turned WVU down for memembership). And WVU is just another state college in a state with too many state colleges.

That is reality. And the explosion of reaction that will follow, which can be summed up as "tis not either", perhaps with a few "you are a girl" s thrown in, just proves my point. The total delusion that is required to buy into WVU fanboydom.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Do what? Comparing itself to programs, in both football and basketball, that are light years above it is the ESSENCE of what WVU fandom is all about. Have you read your own boards? Your own posts? Do you listen to Crap-ridi? Read the Gag-zette? Watch WOWK?

The stuff hard core WVU people say, and thus must ACTUALLY BELIEVE, is so laughable. Every recruit is a five star who actually had offers from championship programs. Every coach is a super genius who WVU snatched from the grasp of championship programs. Every game is a certain victory. The game day atmosphere is amazing. The band is world class. The school is elite. On and on.

Reality. No one playing for WVU in any sport is there for any reason other than he was turned down by bigger programs (or got caught taking steroids). WVU has in its history generated exactly four coaches good enough to try their hand at a higher level (Belein, who is doing OK; Rodriquez, who failed totally; Schaus, who never won the NBA title and then failed at Purdue; and Bowden, who , never forget considered Florida State, a then poor school that had never won a thing and had been a girls school until 18 years before, a step up). WVU gameday pales contrasted to even the lower half of what goes on in the SEC or ACC (which both turned WVU down for memembership). And WVU is just another state college in a state with too many state colleges.

That is reality. And the explosion of reaction that will follow, which can be summed up as "tis not either", perhaps with a few "you are a girl" s thrown in, just proves my point. The total delusion that is required to buy into WVU fanboydom.

Another cool story.

If all that is assumed to be true, then wtf does that make Marshall?

Reactions: JCT1
Do what? Comparing itself to programs, in both football and basketball, that are light years above it is the ESSENCE of what WVU fandom is all about.....

That is reality.
Fortunately, the vast majority of folks on this board and elsewhere know the difference between "Real SamC reality" and actual reality.

Reactions: JCT1
I think the teams should play in football on a 2 for 1 or even a 1 for 1 because that seems to be what Marshall fans have the biggest boner about. Seems like theyd rather have the respect of the 1 for 1 than having a 2 for 1 with an extra chance at winning one of the games. Maybe just my dumb logic but why not have as many games as possible? But IMO the football game should be played and I think WVU should take advantage of local games, even if it is in Huntington sometimes. It's hard enough for local games in football.

That being said, there are way more teams in basketball willing to play in Morgantown, therefore a 6 hour round trip is not needed in the eyes of WVU. They would rather go to Duquense which to them makes way more sense and how can you argue with that other than 'its good for the state'. Is it? If it was a good thing then Charleston would have always been sold out. Both team's fans are embarassing for not filling up the Civic Center. I would genuinely like to know what the justification is for basketball to happen? As I have seen posted before, and has always been my argument, does Ohio State go to Athens? Does Kentucky go to WKU? Does Texas go to Rice or UTSA? I know I am a lone wolf on the opinion of wishing it was in Charleston because I enjoyed it, but considering WVU's basketball travel schedule already, I can certainly understand why it's not.

Football is different because it's one game a week, and sometimes not even that often. I hope they play in football in the future. I just think it makes ways more sense to play the football game that it does the basketball game.... logistically.
Want respect earn it. 0-12 doesn't earn it..

Mostly laughable .if WV is so bad we might as well quit

So is that better or worse than arriving late to cheer against Marshall? Just curious if you'd be critical in either situation

actually don't really much care one way or another.

just didn't want the message to be there was some huge amount of support. i flew out with many wvu fans all claiming they were going to cheer for MU.....and I guess technically they did late in the second half when they finally arrived and preferred to play the team seeded much lower than them vs the seed higher than them.

Mostly laughable .if WV is so bad we might as well quit

Did not say WVU is "bad". Said WVU is not "elite". We got boatraced by a vastly better team. And there are plenty of teams out there that could boatrace that team as well.

The difference between most Marshall fans, and most WVU fans is that we understand that.

just didn't want the message to be there was some huge amount of support. i flew out with many wvu fans all claiming they were going to cheer for MU.....and I guess technically they did late in the second half when they finally arrived and preferred to play the team seeded much lower than them vs the seed higher than them.

Why does cheering for the team to win have to include being there for the whole game? I'm sure ALL of the Herd fans who were rooting for WVU stayed and watched that game instead of being a tourist in a city they have never been before.

So now you are attempting to argue we would have struggled with WSU?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

People always say Huggins is a future HOF

Newsflash if he was going to be a HOF he would have been already he has already coached long enough.

He’s a future HOF’er, he already has a quote of his on the Naismith Memorial outside the f’ng building.
“The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for the day.” Bob Huggins

So now you are attempting to argue we would have struggled with WSU?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

God you are stupid. I didn't say anything about that just stated you would rather play the lower seed, I would have rather played Murray? How is that hard to understand? oh, I am talking to an eerdiot.

ADVERTISEMENT