ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Prices

That's a lot cheaper. My tics in sec 120 have a face value of $35, I think they were $284 this year, or something like that.

Lower price = more fans = better game experience = increase in concessions. Very simple concept.
except Marshall gets a VERY small percentage of the concession sales. You would have to double concessions costs to make up the ticket prices difference, If you did that the concession sales would dwindle so you still lose

Reactions: The Real SamC
except Marshall gets a VERY small percentage of the concession sales. You would have to double concessions costs to make up the ticket prices difference, If you did that the concession sales would dwindle so you still lose

Our concession options aren’t great. Bombshells is the only thing worth considering. Sodexo sucks. They need to offer better options, that would help and enhance the experience.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
we need to take over concessions and also let each vendor pay us x%

Sounds like a no-brainer but then you have to employ a staff that handles all facets of that business on gameday. Not sure the school food services could/would handle it given their other responsibilities.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
They're dropping their prices because the Proof is emerging from the Pudding of Potential, and all those years of telling their fans they were going to be a significant entity in FBS is hitting the Wall of Reality. That school is spending $44 million a year to be middle-of-the-road-or-worse in the worst conference in FBS.

One point to note about ODU: they have extremely limited seating compared to MU, and they are discounting their season tickets. At Marshall, we charge fans a premium over retail for a season ticket license they don't need. Outside of the chairbacks (the only section in the stadium with ushers), you can pretty much sit on any row, in any section of the stadium, any game, with a general admission endzone ticket.

For a cash-strapped program, you'd think completely devaluing your ticketing would be an issue.

I brought a buddy of mine to a game this season in Huntington because my girlfriend was away for work... We sat in my seats and talked about what the cost was. He asked, "With so many empty seats, why do you buy season tickets? Is it just because you want to support the school? Because you could probably just walk around the tailgate and someone would give you one."

I didn't feel like regaling him with my unfounded dreams that Marshall will some day be good (ranked, CUSA champions, nationally relevant) again and having season tickets will matter, so I spit out, "Yeah, I want to support the program."

Obviously MU is making money and pleased at that; otherwise they would make changes, develop marketing programs or try to entice more fans to come and buy tickets.

Lower price = more fans

Triggering a Sam canned response in 3......2.......1

Since you asked, OK.

Proof please.

Please list the people you personally know for whom price is a barrier to MU sports attendance. Please also explain why the students, who do get in “free” don’t show up in great numbers.

Blunt fact is we could have opened the gates and let people in free to the last game and the live gate would have been the same number.

Since you asked, OK.

Proof please.

Please list the people you personally know for whom price is a barrier to MU sports attendance. Please also explain why the students, who do get in “free” don’t show up in great numbers.

Blunt fact is we could have opened the gates and let people in free to the last game and the live gate would have been the same number.

The demographics of this region are unlike most in all of the country. Low wages, not many high paying jobs, lots of service industry positions.

Consistantly lower tix prices in specific areas of the stadium would serve us well.
Instead of a stupid promo code that you have to use online, make all end zone seats $10 for every home game.

Ever notice which sections are the fullest when we do have cheap tickets - the end zone areas.

Marshall throws out all these marketing emails and tweets like every man, woman and child in the region follows them, let alone has access to the internet. Our region by the way, still has areas who lack internet access.
This area is behind the times and people still get their news via the HD, local TV and radio. Yet, rarely do you see an ad or spot in those mediums promoting an MU sporting event or offering cheap tickets.

And I highly doubt average Joe fan - who we need desperately checks Herdzone.com on a regular basis for tix deals.

As to the students, it’s an issue everywhere. They want to be entertained and watch exciting football. Marshall fails miserably on both accounts. The students would rather play on their phones and get drunk.

Marshall needs to address the issue but as I said earlier, they must be happy with how things are going because we haven’t seen attempts to change anything or make the game day experience better or attending games more affordable for the masses.

Nice conclusory statements and broad generalizations about the economy. And, to be fair, yes, student attendance is a problem all over, but that does not explain why people who can get in “free” don’t come, if price is such an issue.

Missed the list of people you know personally for whom Marshall ticket prices are a barrier to attendance. I have lived here all my life, and I have never had anyone tell me they wanted to go to a game but could not afford it. Never.

You could open the doors and let people in free, football and basketball, and not add one person to the crowd.

Nice conclusory statements and broad generalizations about the economy. And, to be fair, yes, student attendance is a problem all over, but that does not explain why people who can get in “free” don’t come, if price is such an issue.

Missed the list of people you know personally for whom Marshall ticket prices are a barrier to attendance. I have lived here all my life, and I have never had anyone tell me they wanted to go to a game but could not afford it. Never.

You could open the doors and let people in free, football and basketball, and not add one person to the crowd.

So in your opinion, everyone in the area should easily afford a $35 ticket? Young families should be able to spend $100 or so to attend a Marshall game when mom works at Infocision and dad works at Sheetz?

Is this what you are saying?

The biggest thing that is killing attendance at sporting events (football, nascar and baseball specifically) is the comfort of your own home... I go to as many Marshall games as I can because I love gameday at the stadium, tailgating and going to the game.

But other sports where I'm a fan, but not a diehard... I sit back in my leather recliner, drink my own beer of choice, turn on the surround sound and enjoy the game in HD on a 50-inch flat screen in my den. No worries about the weather, no additional investment, and if my team is getting drubbed I can shut it off and go do something else.

So in your opinion, everyone in the area should easily afford a $35 ticket?

Lowest priced, before the discount, ticket is $20, not $35. Anyway, MU sports are not a social program. This stuff costs $$. You are really free with the program’s money. You are going to make up the lost income? Thanks.

But, no, the fact is you could open the doors, football and basketball, for free and not change the live gate a bit. It is not $$ that are keeping people away.

The biggest thing that is killing attendance at sporting events (football, nascar and baseball specifically) is the comfort of your own home...

I sit back in my leather recliner, drink my own beer of choice, turn on the surround sound and enjoy the game in HD on a 50-inch flat screen in my den. No worries about the weather, no additional investment, and if my team is getting drubbed I can shut it off and go do something else.

Correct answer, at Marshall and everywhere else.

Please also explain why the students, who do get in “free” don’t show up in great numbers.

Ooh ooh ooh - I know this one: because nobody born after 1996 is under the delusion that C-USA football is a thing that matters, we haven't had a "star" player since Ahmad Bradshaw, and apart from Louisville bringing Lamar Jackson that one time, we haven't really had a significant pro prospect of any kind play in our stadium since maybe Case Keenum.

Lowest priced, before the discount, ticket is $20, not $35. Anyway, MU sports are not a social program. This stuff costs $$. You are really free with the program’s money. You are going to make up the lost income? Thanks.

But, no, the fact is you could open the doors, football and basketball, for free and not change the live gate a bit. It is not $$ that are keeping people away.

So in your mind it’s not

So you are telling me that fans are staying away by the thousands so they can view the games on Facebook snd Stadium? Lol!
Have you seen how many views we have with a streamed game? It’s putrid according to the numbers on Facebook. It’s displayed on the screen. In addition, they count each click on the game or those who get out of the screen and come back to the game are counted again. I watched the FIU game on Facebook and the screen said 5.6K viewers.

We usually have one home game a year on real TV, CBSS or NFL and they may stay away for that.

You give way too much credit to steaming. And that’s erroneous.

Our issues are a poor demographic fan base, putrid game day experience and boring brand of football.
You change the game day experience and light up the scoreboard and fans may come back. It’s all about entertainment value. At this point in time, MU football offers very little to the causal fan. They have better things to do.

Last edited:
These are the most expensive forms of advertising to a demographic of people that will never be coming to a football game.

So Marshall goes cheap and we see the results. The Tweets and emails only go to those who already attend or have bought in.
MU did more promos in the local media when we played in Fairfield. Anyone remember the - Pack the Stadium promo when we played Furman at Fairfield?

I don't think Marshall needs to waste its money on advertising. Advertising is all about fostering a perceived benefit, then creating loyal customers when the product delivers on that benefit. The worst thing you can do is drive 1,000 people to your restaurant, only to serve them poo-on-a-stick when they get there.

The things that people like about college athletics - raucous environments, pro prospects on the field, and games rich with context and meaning - are mostly absent from Marshall athletics. That's not bitching about Doc, that's just the reality.

I can tell someone Marshall games are a good time, but when I bring them to the stadium, they see 20,000 bodies spread out across 38,000 seats. They hear the band start playing only to get drowned out by the scoreboard music, while two guys five rows down try to start "we are Marshall" and get nowhere because the cheerleaders are just doing their usual Dr. Seuss. They ask me why we slap Michigan's banner ("Seriously, it even says M club!"). They ask me why we don't come out to "Thunderstruck" the way VT comes out to "Enter Sandman" ("You guys used to, I remember!").

The events have the feel of minor league baseball more than major college football. We'll show you 18,472 ads on the scoreboard, but we won't show you scores from around the league or stats from the game you are watching.

The whole thing is a sloppy mess that I've been dragging people to for years, and seldom ever getting a repeat customer. Sad to say, but absolutely the truth.

So Marshall goes cheap and we see the results. The Tweets and emails only go to those who already attend or have bought in.
MU did more promos in the local media when we played in Fairfield. Anyone remember the - Pack the Stadium promo when we played Furman at Fairfield?

Nothing wrong with going to less expensive, more impactful forms of advertising through mobile/social-web. Doing so, by itself, doesn't make MU "cheap". I would argue Marshall doesn't utilize it's social/web based marketing opportunity effectively. That makes them "incompetent", which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (E.g. Email based marketing is outdated and largely ineffective. It's laughable if that's actually still being used to "grow" sales.)

Good grief, this isn't the Fairfield days when all there was to advertise on was TV, print, and radio. Can you please move beyond the 80's?
Fact, on any given day (in the Htgn/ Tri-State market) there are more eyes on mobile, social media/Web than on any HD newspaper or local television.

Print and TV advertising is the biggest waste of advertising $$$ in this current generation. (Another thread for another time)

Bottomline, Marshall (athletics) doesn't know how to run and grow a business. They have taken their customers for granted and don't seem to give a damn what it would take to turn it around. A complete overhaul from top to bottom.

free or not ...one thing that puts butts in seats is EXCITEMENT..you will never ever get young people to attend a boring event even if it is free. Give them something to get excited about and soon word gets around that it's the place to be. Then and only then will you get the students.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
“Carter, the sports-marketing guru, said if he were consulting with a university on how to bring fans back to the stadium, he’d tell them to look toward their own campuses for answers. He said a vibrant, energetic game-day experience is essential.” Drop the mic!

The game-day experience has to be a knockout winner. From the football team’s on-field performance, to the tailgate, to the in-stadium experience, “there’s something to the game-day experience, and having friends and colleagues rallying together,” Carter said.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Nothing wrong with going to less expensive, more impactful forms of advertising through mobile/social-web. Doing so, by itself, doesn't make MU "cheap". I would argue Marshall doesn't utilize it's social/web based marketing opportunity effectively. That makes them "incompetent", which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (E.g. Email based marketing is outdated and largely ineffective. It's laughable if that's actually still being used to "grow" sales.)

Good grief, this isn't the Fairfield days when all there was to advertise on was TV, print, and radio. Can you please move beyond the 80's?
Fact, on any given day (in the Htgn/ Tri-State market) there are more eyes on mobile, social media/Web than on any HD newspaper or local television.

Print and TV advertising is the biggest waste of advertising $$$ in this current generation. (Another thread for another time)

Bottomline, Marshall (athletics) doesn't know how to run and grow a business. They have taken their customers for granted and don't seem to give a damn what it would take to turn it around. A complete overhaul from top to bottom.

Agree with most of this. The issue you and many fail to realize is that with all the effort put into social media marketing by MU, the fail to reach the segment that they need to get on board. Some don’t get that not every man women and child are tuned into Marshall via Twitter and other online platforms. Print may be an 80’s deal and it is, but in this area it’s still a viable and useful way to reach those not already engaged. Which is where MU misses the mark big time.

But yeah, our marketing effort sucks and has for years.

The game-day experience has to be a knockout winner. From the football team’s on-field performance, to the tailgate, to the in-stadium experience, “there’s something to the game-day experience, and having friends and colleagues rallying together,” Carter said.

This.

Reactions: Herd Insider
Print may be an 80’s deal and it is, but in this area it’s still a viable and useful way to reach those not already engaged.

We will have to agree to disagree. A print campaign is just not viable as it relates to building a brand with diminishing views. The paradigm shifted. The group of "fan" that will actually buy a ticket isn't the demographic reading the paper or watching a TV advertisement. Most consumers cant even remember the last ad they watched on "live" television, let alone one that moved them to take action. And they sure as hell aren't going to buy a ticket because there is an ad in the HD.

Again, this is all a moot point until the product on the field drastically changes to also drive interest.

Reactions: Herd Insider
I have come to realization none of this is going to change until the leadership at MU is gone and new life is breathed into the program. From the top down. Until there is passion and vision it is going to be like this.

THIS is exactly it. The product on the field (the team performance), the music (both band and on PA), and the general game-day atmosphere all need improving for people to fork over their hard-earned $ each fall. During the 90's, empty seats were not a problem, sometimes getting a ticket was! There absolutely no excitement anymore about the program.

We will have to agree to disagree. A print campaign is just not viable as it relates to building a brand with diminishing views. The paradigm shifted. The group of "fan" that will actually buy a ticket isn't the demographic reading the paper or watching a TV advertisement. Most consumers cant even remember the last ad they watched on "live" television, let alone one that moved them to take action. And they sure as hell aren't going to buy a ticket because there is an ad in the HD.

Again, this is all a moot point until the product on the field drastically changes to also drive interest.

I am simply suggesting they consider other methods; as we both know, and most realize - their current efforts are not effective. Sometimes going back to an older idea and reinventing it, works.
Our area sadly, is very slow to adapt and change. I assume you live In Raleigh, which is light years ahead on many fronts compared to the Huntington area; as most places are.
I understand your thoughts and certainly agree, MU needs to look at what they do and make changes or in 5-10 years, posters on these boards will be having the same discussions.

Maybe Marshall should stop allowing pass outs to McDonalds.

I know others have pointed this out but there is no flow to what is taking place at the game. A few commercials seems fine . They need someone to co ordinate when the band plays, when and what song to play over the loud speakers, when to start a " we are Marshall cheer". The last game I was at the La Tech game I sat there and laughed. It was like being at a Jr. High School game.

Why not have a high school day and invite kids from around the area to come and sit in the endzone on late season games. Provide them with a free pizza and soda. Finally attendance is down everywhere not just at Marshall. Look at Herd Insider post

So you are telling me that fans are staying away by the thousands so they can view the games on Facebook snd Stadium? Lol!

Missing that list of people you know personally that are skipping the games because they don’t have $20. You posted a really dumb idea, and cannot defend it.

But, no, what I and people that understand the sports business are saying, is that ALL ACROSS the sports world, with virtually every game on TV of some sort, and this the ability to enjoy an entire weekend of football from your recliner, the willingness to invest most or all of a day in ONE GAME.

Have you seen how many views we have with a streamed game?

Yes I have. Totally disproves your dumb idea that is we just let people in free, there would be millions out there in line to get in. Nope.

They have better things to do.

So you now admit your previous idea that it was cost keeping people away was
DEAD WRONG.

Yes it is.

new life is breathed
top down.
passion
vision

Straight out of any MBA’s Big Book Of Meaningless Catchphrases. No actual ideas or concrete solutions, of course.

You left out “synergy” and “nexus” and “mission”, but pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT