ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Prices

Missing that list of people you know personally that are skipping the games because they don’t have $20. You posted a really dumb idea, and cannot defend it.

But, no, what I and people that understand the sports business are saying, is that ALL ACROSS the sports world, with virtually every game on TV of some sort, and this the ability to enjoy an entire weekend of football from your recliner, the willingness to invest most or all of a day in ONE GAME.

Yes I have. Totally disproves your dumb idea that is we just let people in free, there would be millions out there in line to get in. Nope.

So you now admit your previous idea that it was cost keeping people away was
DEAD WRONG.

Yes it is.

No, people have choices on what to do with their discretionary income. If Marshall doesn't put an exciting product on the field with a good game day experience, they'll choose to do other things. We see it on our attendance now. It's not rocket science, but to some it must be. Delusion must be a pleasant experience.

The AD at ODU recently sent a letter to fans apologizing for raising season tix prices and letting them know their voices were heard and would be lowering tix prices next year. So Sam doesn't think tix prices are an issue? Obviously at ODU they are and have been. When Marshall raised the seat assignment donation, moved some long time ticket holders from their seats, they lost fans. Are fans cheap? Maybe so, but when you're in an economically depressed market, you better know your limits or the backlash can sting.

The AD at ODU recently sent a letter to fans apologizing for raising season tix prices and letting them know their voices were heard and would be lowering tix prices next year. So Sam doesn't think tix prices are an issue? Obviously at ODU they are and have been. When Marshall raised the seat assignment donation, moved some long time ticket holders from their seats, they lost fans. Are fans cheap? Maybe so, but when you're in an economically depressed market, you better know your limits or the backlash can sting.

Still missing is your list of people who do not attend games due to price.

Also missing is how YOU are going to make up the money lost.

You give way too much credit to steaming. And that’s erroneous.

Whys that? Streaming is becoming the norm these days.
Facebook streaming is just the start. CUSA is doing a horrible job marketing themselves however, but I would not be shocked if all major sporting events go the FB route eventually.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I know others have pointed this out but there is no flow to what is taking place at the game. A few commercials seems fine . They need someone to co ordinate when the band plays, when and what song to play over the loud speakers, when to start a " we are Marshall cheer". The last game I was at the La Tech game I sat there and laughed. It was like being at a Jr. High School game.

Why not have a high school day and invite kids from around the area to come and sit in the endzone on late season games. Provide them with a free pizza and soda. Finally attendance is down everywhere not just at Marshall. Look at Herd Insider post

They do have a HS day...at least for the bands, as I see several in the stands at least once a year.

I am simply suggesting they consider other methods; as we both know, and most realize - their current efforts are not effective. Sometimes going back to an older idea and reinventing it, works.
Our area sadly, is very slow to adapt and change. I assume you live In Raleigh, which is light years ahead on many fronts compared to the Huntington area; as most places are.
I understand your thoughts and certainly agree, MU needs to look at what they do and make changes or in 5-10 years, posters on these boards will be having the same discussions.

Problem is, people have made up their minds and simply quit on Doc and the team.
They did this a long time ago.
MU could advertise they are playing for a potential East Division title and it also being senior day and people will say,
"Well...I quit since Cincy. So I don't care."
Then MU wins and fans bash the conference, and Doc, and Green, and everyone else they can to ensure they are right and MU is wrong.

Goddamn Sam has a point that people wouldn't show up if the gate were free and open...but its because they hate Doc and the football team...and will continue to hate them until Pruett is the HC, Chad Pennington is the OC, Byron Leftwich leaves the NFL and is the QB coach, and Randy Moss is the WR coach...as penance for not mentioning MU in his NFL HoF speech.

One demographic left out was the fickle fanbase. MU has to do everything to the exact needs/wants of the fans or they wuss out and stay home.

They all expect to be happy and satisfied with what MU does to their specifics. MU simply can't do this, and so you get complaints "the sky is falling" "woe is me, MU has lost its way" etc. and people quitting on the program.

Reactions: The Real SamC
They do have a HS day...at least for the bands, as I see several in the stands at least once a year.
true I am aware of that. I am talking about another day. Band day is a great day should be a day to recruit kids to come to Marshall and be in the band.but only a small group is part of that. This would be open to all.

Whys that? Streaming is becoming the norm these days.
Facebook streaming is just the start. CUSA is doing a horrible job marketing themselves however, but I would not be shocked if all major sporting events go the FB route eventually.

It may be the norm/future, but in this area, you still have pockets that do not get internet service. My wife is a teacher locally and several of her kids don't have internet access from their homes. People say streaming is the greatest thing since sliced bread; but during every game there is a thread on this board and others about the stream not showing, poor quality, freezing up, etc. LOL!

I don't waste my time with it.

true I am aware of that. I am talking about another day. Band day is a great day should be a day to recruit kids to come to Marshall and be in the band.but only a small group is part of that. This would be open to all.
And the response on Band Day is dismal, at best.

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT