ADVERTISEMENT

So do we play Morrell now?

You mean the RS Sophomore that couldn't beat out at RS FR or a guy with a trashed shoulder?

Honestly, @BleedsGreen33 we may have to if Thomson just blew his shoulder wad on that game.

That having said, I didn't expect much better from a QB who hasn't seen any game time in over a year and even that was on a lower level.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
At this point the goal is to get Green healthy and let him learn on the job the rest of the season.

As long as hes out, we can play whoever at QB and just pray that our offensive line doesnt get them killed.

At this point the goal is to get Green healthy and let him learn on the job the rest of the season.

As long as hes out, we can play whoever at QB and just pray that our offensive line doesnt get them killed.

I have heard anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. Either way it's basically the season.

If hes going to be out for six weeks then i guess you tell King and Anderson to be ready for 20+ carries each for the next month and hope that either Thomson or Morrell can manage the game well enough to steal a couple of wins... My vote would go to whichever guy is going to turn it over less.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
I know it’s not a popular opinion but I think AT is going to be just fine. He needs to take some pepper off the ball but as the game progressed, he looked much better.

Brady picked the wrong night to drop every thing thrown his way and wel. the line looked like they regressed. Coaching, then those two things were even bigger issues imo.

Doc needs to just get the F out of the offense.

I apologize to Bill Legg.

Most of the drops are on him but he had some that were behind the receiver or thrown high, or low, etc. Plus the pass attempts that were no where near the receiver.

Let's hope that we can land a couple of good QB recruits for next season. Along with more OL talent.

Doc needs to just get the F out of the offense

Bingo

That alone would help us out tremendously. There's nothing worse than being stymied by an incompetent boob who doesn't understand what the hell he is doing, and that's Doc Holliday in a nutshell.

We had drops with Green at QB and the OL didn’t protect him very well but people are over his ass. What’s gives with that?

Cato is the only QB recruit Doc has had that improved and that was worth a damn.
Litton? Meh. He was better as a freshmen.

Why play Morrell? Thomson is playing behind a poor offensive line! Tom Brady wouldn't survive behind that group. Doc is smoking something if he still says this is the best OL he has had since he's been here.

We had drops with Green at QB and the OL didn’t protect him very well but people are over his ass. What’s gives with that?

No one is all over Green's ass for drops... The reason people have been critical is because his mechanics are awful. He looks like a good athlete who has never been coached to play QB.

Also, the deficiencies of the offensive line have been pointed out every single week since Miami OH.

No one is all over Green's ass for drops... The reason people have been critical is because his mechanics are awful. He looks like a good athlete who has never been coached to play QB.

Also, the deficiencies of the offensive line have been pointed out every single week since Miami OH.

So you can suck as long as you look pretty doing it.

So you can suck as long as you look pretty doing it.

No, you cant suck either way... which is why Thomson is eating it on here today and people are calling for Morrell.

It doesnt look like we have a capable and ready to play QB on this roster.

I believe it's unconscious racism. I don't know what else to think because Thomson played the worst statistical game by a Marshall QB this season. His completion percentage, total yards, yards per attempt and overall QB efficiency rating, everything - the worst.

Oh, and for people that say that Middle is good. Here is the pass efficiency defensive ranking for our 4 FBS opponents so far:

WKU - 35
NCST - 43
Middle - 92
Miami (OH) - 110

Middle was giving up over 7 yards per attempt, Thomson was less than 5 ypa. Anything less than 6 ypa is laughably bad. Green has been over 7 for the year.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I believe it's unconscious racism. I don't know what else to think because Thomson played the worst statistical game by a Marshall QB this season. His completion percentage, total yards, yards per attempt and overall QB efficiency rating, everything - the worst.

Oh, and for people that say that Middle is good. Here is the pass efficiency defensive ranking for our 4 FBS opponents so far:

WKU - 35
NCST - 43
Middle - 92
Miami (OH) - 110

Middle was giving up over 7 yards per attempt, Thomson was less than 5 ypa. Anything less than 6 ypa is laughably bad. Green has been over 7 for the year.
So now everyone who is hesitant to anoint IG as the next great QB at Marshall and refuses to bury AT is a racist? That’s an interesting take.

I really don’t care who plays QB as long as they are effective. I just don’t see all the hype that came with AT and those who insisted through pre-season camp that he was the one.

He has actual college game experience where IG didn’t. That alone should have merited a better performance. Jmho

So now everyone who is hesitant to anoint IG as the next great QB at Marshall and refuses to bury AT is a racist? That’s an interesting take.

Give me a better explanation.

Green is a kid that committed here out of HS. He put in his time as a RS. He is well down the path to being a "Son of Marshall" versus Thomson who is just a LeBron "I'm taking my talents to Huntington" James. All 4 of Green's games were statistically better than the one Thomson just played, two by a large margin. Two, maybe 3 since I didn't bother looking up how EKU's pass defense is, were against teams with much stronger pass defenses. Green was 3-1 with the only loss being against a top 25, undefeated ACC team.

People on here were all over him for his "horrible" performance against WKU (where he happened to lead a 98 yard game winning drive that was near flawless), yet when Thomson has an even worse performance people line up with excuses for why it wasn't his fault. Heck, even certain mods on this board have dropped endless, unsubstantiated, innuendo about "things" that make Green less than an ideal candidate to be Marshall's starting QB.

So, if Green has been here from the start of his career and has performed better statistically against better opponents, why are some so quick to jump on the freshman's faults and not the guy who is just a hired gun with many college starts under his belt? What is the difference between the two in the eyes of the fans who are doing that?

Green is a kid that committed here out of HS. He put in his time as a RS. He is well down the path to being a "Son of Marshall" versus Thomson who is just a LeBron "I'm taking my talents to Huntington" James.
See, to me this points towards you having a bias towards Alex. You're not the first person who I've heard/seen have this POV. I honestly don't understand it at all, either. We were IG's best offer out of HS. Thomson could have gone to Baylor or Tennessee.

Give me a better explanation.
I can only speak for myself (not sure if you were implying I'm racist, but that's what I inferred), so here goes...

I've only defended Alex over what I thought was some over-the-top criticism of him against MTSU. Read the game threads. You'd think the kid was planted by the devil himself to sabotage the Marshall football program.

Outside of the first quarter, which admittedly was perhaps the worst performance by a Marshall QB I've ever seen, I thought Thomson was okay. Literally okay, as in average. PFF graded him out at 58.8 for the entire game, which falls squarely in between where Isaiah was graded against NCSU (51.2) and WKU (69.2). Now, to be fair, NCSU was far and away the best team we've played this year so IG gets a pass for his performance against them, but those grades are noteworthy nonetheless.

You and I debated a bit back and forth in this thread (https://marshall.forums.rivals.com/threads/welp-alex-nailed-this-one-for-certain.40854/) about whether or not MTSU stacking the box and forcing Alex to throw in the second half was the reason our offense stalled. I thought I gave reasonable, concrete examples as to why I didn't believe that was the case. You also questioned his arm strength, which I thought looked more than adequate. I also conceded Alex looked extremely hesitant and appeared to have little feel for what was going on around him in the pocket. No racism there. Just football talk.

The only criticism I've had of Green is I believe his mechanics will hold him back long-term from ever being an accurate quarterback, which means I believe his ceiling is limited. He also needs to trust his legs more but that will probably come as he matures (much like it did with Cato). That doesn't mean he should sit the bench when healthy (he shouldn't) or that I think he stinks. It just means I don't see greatness in his future. His drive against WKU to win the game was excellent but he was not good up until that point (14 for 34 for 198 yards).

I hope I'm wrong about IG's upside. I really do. I hope he's Rakeem Cato, Byron Leftwich or Chad Pennington 2.0. Unfortunately I get more of a Chase Litton 2.0 vibe about him.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Why are you running from your statements about green not being a good leader etc?

First of all, I wasn’t running. It was 2:30 in the morning and Banker was carrying on about racism and “unsubstantiated” comments. Like I said then, it wasn’t worth my time.

Now, I made the comment when the topic was being discussed that if Isaiah matures and never has a break down that I’d applaud him. So far, he’s done that, but we’re only 5 games into his career. Chase’s issues didn’t surface until his 2nd season as the starting QB.

Did AT set the world on fire Friday night? No, but he did some really nice things. Do I think he’ll improve? Definitely. The problem with AT is that a lot of you had your minds made up before he ever stepped on the field so it made his leash a lot shorter than Isaiah or other QB’s.

The problem with AT is that a lot of you had your minds made up before he ever stepped on the field so it made his leash a lot shorter than Isaiah or other QB’s.

Don't you think many had already signed off on AT, because of how the status of his shoulder was shrouded in mystery? The conclusion prior to Friday night was that he wasn't fit to play college football anymore, so why would people even bother worrying about him. If anything, folks were pissed at Doc for wasting a scholly on him.

This is where a little transparency would help. No, fans don't need to know everything, but with the knowledge that he (AT) is going to be okay, the fanbase could rally behind and start to support the kid.

Personally, I think both QB's show promise. Sadly, I have little faith in our coaching staff to develop either one, so who knows which will become the true starter. If AT progresses to be way better than Green, then he's the one. If not, we stick with Green. You play who is going to win games. At this point, both of them suck, so why are we arguing about who sucks less?

I'm not getting into a Green Vs. Thompson debate. The thing that pisses me off is that Doc frigged around with Litton so long that he failed to recruit an adequate quarterback for the future. This is unacceptable when we've had Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, Michael Payton, Rakeem Cato, etc., etc. Even players like Todd Donnan and Carl Fodor were more solid than what we've had these last several years!

First of all, I wasn’t running. It was 2:30 in the morning and Banker was carrying on about racism and “unsubstantiated” comments. Like I said then, it wasn’t worth my time.

Now, I made the comment when the topic was being discussed that if Isaiah matures and never has a break down that I’d applaud him. So far, he’s done that, but we’re only 5 games into his career. Chase’s issues didn’t surface until his 2nd season as the starting QB.

Did AT set the world on fire Friday night? No, but he did some really nice things. Do I think he’ll improve? Definitely. The problem with AT is that a lot of you had your minds made up before he ever stepped on the field so it made his leash a lot shorter than Isaiah or other QB’s.

I’d say a lot of us expected him to come in and take the job immediately. This based on the local media’s constant comments about Phil Simms statements and the fact that UT and Baylor wanted him. Even those on this board had him as the second coming.

Then when the fans learned his shoulder wasn’t close to healed and he sat more than participated during fall camp, that took the wind out of many sails. It’s not personal at all, why should it be, he is a kid and plays for our team.

Many seemed turned off by the fact that it was all shrouded in mystery for camp. Everyone was kept guessing about his status up to the week of the Miami game. I understand HIPA but it went beyond that. Jmho.

I hope he does very well against ODU and going forward. I don’t care who plays as long as they play well. I just don’t get the sour attitude against IG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT