ADVERTISEMENT

Solich vs Doc

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
On Saturday these two coaches face off again. Seems like recently the Ohio University Coach has had Docs number.

Classic case of a better coach taking less talent and beating better talent with a lesser coach.

This.

OR...and hear me out here...

We averaged about 5.5 turnovers (maybe more) every time we played Ohio for a few years except that one time we protected the football and won by 30. Those turnovers include literally letting them score on a normal kickoff return THAT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE RETURNING. To me, they were just one of those things. Thats the way it went with Ohio for a while.

Classic case of a better coach taking less talent and beating better talent with a lesser coach.
Not sure they have less talent Marine. I mean ten years ago maybe, but Solich has recruited quality players who fit his system well. Is he a better coach? Not sure. If we don't have 4 turnovers in 2013 the head to head is 3-3 not 4-2 Solich. Doc has a better record. In ten years Doc is 71-47 for a .602%. In 15 years in Athens Frank is 107-76 for a .585%.He also has a conference title, Frank doesn't have one in Athens.Doc is 6-0 in bowl games Frank is 4-6. Personally, I think they are both solid coaches who do a great job with what they have to work with.

Last edited:
Not sure they have less talent Marine. I mean ten years ago maybe, but Solich has recruited quality players who fit his system well. Is he a better coach? Not sure. If we don't have 4 turnovers in 2013 the head to head is 3-3 not 4-2 Solich. Doc has a better record. In ten years Doc is 71-47 for a .602%. In 15 years in Athens Frank is 107-76 for a .585%.He also has a conference title, Frank doesn't have one in Athens. Personally, I think they are both solid coaches who do a great job with what they have to work with.

While the overall series record quoted is true, the problem is, in the past 5 games, Solich has won 4 out of 5. That goes back to 2011, right? That's 8 years of seeing Doc lose to Solich. It's no wonder the feeling overall is that Solich owns Doc.

Bottom line is, a W is a W and Doc doesn't know how to win against Solich often enough.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
While the overall series record quoted is true, the problem is, in the past 5 games, Solich has won 4 out of 5. That goes back to 2011, right? That's 8 years of seeing Doc lose to Solich. It's no wonder the feeling overall is that Solich owns Doc.

Bottom line is, a W is a W and Doc doesn't know how to win against Solich often enough.
Not sure how that changes anything. Look here is the rundown on the recent series of games.
09 Marshall
10 Marshall
11 Ohio
12 Ohio
13 Ohio
14 Marshall
15 Ohio

Thus in a period of 7 years Ohio won 4 Marshall won 3.

I am aware that 09 was a bowl game and Doc was just hired. It does speak to the fact that this series is close. I think the biggest thing for many on here is our dominance of the series when we returned to the MAC no longer exists. We no longer Have Chad, Randy and Byron etc.. During those 8 years we went 7-1. However, those Ohio teams no longer exist. They are no longer one of the worst teams in the MAC, they are now one of the best year in year out. That explains the series IMO more than pinning it all on Doc. I will say, that if they win the next two, then I would obviously have to retract that statement.

Not sure how that changes anything

Dude, I just told you. 8 years is a long ass time seeing Doc lose 4 out of 5 games. I'm not trying to cherry pick the years, but the timing is everything.

If Doc had won 2 in the past 3 years, the fanbase would see this as more competitive recently.

Not sure they have less talent Marine. I mean ten years ago maybe, but Solich has recruited quality players who fit his system well. Is he a better coach? Not sure. If we don't have 4 turnovers in 2013 the head to head is 3-3 not 4-2 Solich. Doc has a better record. In ten years Doc is 71-47 for a .602%. In 15 years in Athens Frank is 107-76 for a .585%.He also has a conference title, Frank doesn't have one in Athens.Doc is 6-0 in bowl games Frank is 4-6. Personally, I think they are both solid coaches who do a great job with what they have to work with.

Not one recruiting ranking over the past decade has had OU’s class higher than ours. Prove me wrong and I’ll take that back

Not one recruiting ranking over the past decade has had OU’s class higher than ours. Prove me wrong and I’ll take that back
Look Marine I live in Athens and I have watched Ohio play live many many times. I can tell you the talent level is much much better now. I really don't care what the recruiting services say. By the way, they keep winning on the field. To be honest they have put as many kids into the NFL in the past ten years as we have.We should win this game at home and if we don't there is no excuse this season. But when you and others say they don't have talent equal to ours I am baffled by that.

Last edited:
Who has better facilities? Who has better football history over the last 25 years? Who has easier recruiting/academic restrictions? Who has a bigger coaching pool salary?

Marshall has significantly more advantages in football than Ohio does. Marshall should dominate that series.
that is a different subject friend. We were talking about coaches.The advantages we have are not really that big. Plus our history from 1999 is ancient history to many 17 yr olds today.

It isn't a different subject in any way.

The discussion is who is the better coach. Your argument is that since Solich only has a slight advantage head-to-head over Doc, that it shows that neither may be better than the other. The point is that Doc has far more advantages to building a better team than Solich does, so Marshall should be winning more often than not.

Let me dumb this down for you:

Pretend Marshall played Alabama ten times. Marshall won six of those games. Who is the better coach? Based on just that (since you haven't brought up any other successful arguments), you'd have to overwhelmingly think that the Marshall coach is better.

Why? Because the Alabama coach has better facilities, more success, more money for his staff/recruiting, etc. which gives him far more advantages in building a better team. So losing the majority of the time to a team with far inferior resources shows that the other coach is better.

The same holds true for Marshall vs. Ohio.
wrong. Bringing Alabama into this discussion is stupid.We are not talking about Marshall vs Alabama. Marshall and Ohio are schools located about 75 miles apart. They have a long history that pre- dates Doc and Frank. Marshall may have a larger newer football stadium but that is where the advantages stop. Both have new IPF, Both have modern weight rooms. We have a sports medicine building attached to our IPF they have a brand new Academic building in the end zone that has some premium seating etc. Marshall is in a state that produces 4-5 D 1 football players per year. Ohio is one of the top 5 states most years for producing football players. Frank has a tremendous advantage being a state school in Ohio. Granted he isn't going to get the OSU talent but he is in play for the ones they run out of room for. For example. If a kid is from Cleveland and on campus at Ohio University he might run into several of his buddies from HS. That is an advantage. Athens is a small college town that is relatively safe and clean. That is an advantage. Ohio is a better academic school than Marshall. They play in a conference whose games are on ESPN. We play in a conference whose games are on the internet. That is an advantage. So any advantage you may think we have is very small and doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Last edited:
Don't you know those things don't mean a thing. Marshall has no advantage over any team in college football. Do you know how good Ohio and UNC Charlotte could be ?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Look Marine I live in Athens and I have watched Ohio play live many many times. I can tell you the talent level is much much better now. I really don't care what the recruiting services say. By the way, they keep winning on the field. To be honest they have put as many kids into the NFL in the past ten years as we have.We should win this game at home and if we don't there is no excuse this season. But when you and others say they don't have talent equal to ours I am baffled by that.
Then it sounds like our recruiting guru coach should be doing a better job recruiting.

Reactions: Marine03
wrong. Bringing Alabama into this discussion is stupid.We are not talking about Marshall vs Alabama. Marshall and Ohio are schools located about 75 miles apart. They have a long history that pre- dates Doc and Frank. Marshall may have a larger newer football stadium but that is where the advantages stop. Both have new IPF, Both have modern weight rooms. We have a sports medicine building attached to our IPF they have a brand new Academic building in the end zone that has some premium seating etc. Marshall is in a state that produces 4-5 D 1 football players per year. Ohio is one of the top 5 states most years for producing football players. Frank has a tremendous advantage being a state school in Ohio. Granted he isn't going to get the OSU talent but he is in play for the ones they run out of room for. For example. If a kid is from Cleveland and on campus at Ohio University he might run into several of his buddies from HS. That is an advantage. Athens is a small college town that is relatively safe and clean. That is an advantage. Ohio is a better academic school than Marshall. They play in a conference whose games are on ESPN. We play in a conference whose games are on the internet. That is an advantage. So any advantage you may think we have is very small and doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
You honestly have to be kidding me. Where do you guys come up with these excuses? Marshall has never been in a recruiting hotbed. We get that. Even when Marshall was IAA it had to go find players and it did. Doc also has the advantage of getting players that are not going get into Ohio U. THe Help program, props, etc. Marshall's facilities are far superior. Marshall has a much better fan base in terms of football. Marshall is a superior football program to Ohio in just about every way. Facilities, fans, money thrown at it, etc. Doc is making $200,000 more than Solich. Ohio is not even the second or third best or fourth best D1 program historically in Ohio. They are likely near the bottom. Doc can run down to Florida(or any MU coach for that matter) and prop it up or put them in the HELP program.

There is a pecking order of programs in D1 football. Marshall is clearly above Ohio U in that pecking order or it should be.

I honestly think these excuses permeate from Old Main and the Shewey and it is sickening.

Frankly let's equate it. At the G5 level Marshall is like LSU and Ohio U would be like Mississippi State. One is the better program. It would be much easier to win at Marshall or should be anyway.

Last edited:
Quality post, Gabe. This message board cold use some more good posts like that.

Hey Gabe calm down. Bottom line is that Solich has been the better coach in the recent history. While all that you point out may be partially true fact is that Solich seems to have his team prepared for Marshall while Doc does not have Marshall prepared for Ohio.

Reactions: Herdmeister
They just throw to a spot. Works every time. At least we won't have to hear that Citizens Bank bullshit this year!

Twolf I agree. For whatever reason it seems that Doc simply does not prepare our team very well for former MAC opponents - even if/when we win. Ohio will be ready and we - well I hope we are as well.

Not sure how that changes anything. Look here is the rundown on the recent series of games.
09 Marshall
10 Marshall
11 Ohio
12 Ohio
13 Ohio
14 Marshall
15 Ohio

Thus in a period of 7 years Ohio won 4 Marshall won 3.

I am aware that 09 was a bowl game and Doc was just hired. It does speak to the fact that this series is close. I think the biggest thing for many on here is our dominance of the series when we returned to the MAC no longer exists. We no longer Have Chad, Randy and Byron etc.. During those 8 years we went 7-1. However, those Ohio teams no longer exist. They are no longer one of the worst teams in the MAC, they are now one of the best year in year out. That explains the series IMO more than pinning it all on Doc. I will say, that if they win the next two, then I would obviously have to retract that statement.

Again, though, we handed Ohio 2-3 of those games. 5-6 turnovers etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT