ADVERTISEMENT

The coup against Doc

Yeah we were better off keeping Doc and letting him continue to let everyone down. Good decision on that one.

I had actually already forgotten about that. Still, if they would have called me I would have participated.

I believe we are now 15-17 since the start of the 2016 season. Keep in mind that we play in CUSA and play OOC games against FCS and weak MAC teams. Pruett would most likely be around 22-10 over that stretch and he's really old and been out of coaching. Difference is that he would hire a staff and then not micro manage them away from their strengths (ala the way Doc does Cramsey).

No doubt we are falling behind. My timeline on Doc is as follows: 3 bad seasons(building years) 3 good seasons (cato) 3 terrible/ mediocre. Even when we win this year you walk away from the game thinking that could have gone the other way. We are topped out under Doc. Keep him and I say we will continue to win 7 games a year. This is the same pattern that his mentor Nelan had up north years ago.. We get a new guy it could go either way. Right now I am ready to roll the dice.

Last edited:
I personally like Doc, but our games have become about as exciting as watching paint dry...

Remember when we were mentioned in conversations with Boise St., Troy, UCF, etc...good times...Doc brought an end to those conversations.

Reactions: Herdfan1986
I personally like Doc, but our games have become about as exciting as watching paint dry...

I agree. No way as a casual fan I'd sit through one of our games. FAU was exciting only because we embarrassed Kiffen. Outside of that our games are a far cry from 2013-14.

Thought Cramsey would be allowed to fix that.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The trip to Boise next year worries me because I'm afraid it will be embarrassing.
I'm already preparing for that game...We don't play well on blue turf...the high altitude oxygen got to us after the coin flip...we don't play West of Texas...we don't play well in Idaho...we are young, since we didn't have 18 returning starters...the long flight out here took it toll on the players...we couldn't find any good potatoes in Idaho. And, this only scratches the surface.

And, don't forget, we have Ohio U. Coming to town next year...get ready to watch them complete about 25 slants across the middle. Who wouda thunk ut???

This^

Solich has straight out owned Doc. Too many times we should have been more than capable of winning, yet Doc found ways to not make that happen.

Remember when we were mentioned in conversations with Boise St., Troy, UCF, etc...good times...Doc brought an end to those conversations.
Yeah, only no. Under Snyder we went 4-7, 5-7, 3-9, 4-8, & 6-6. If anything, Doc actually got us briefly back in that company (2013 through the 2015 seasons.) I'm not the biggest fan of Doc but he's not the one that knocked us out of those conversations.

Yeah, only no. Under Snyder we went 4-7, 5-7, 3-9, 4-8, & 6-6. If anything, Doc actually got us briefly back in that company (2013 through the 2015 seasons.) I'm not the biggest fan of Doc but he's not the one that knocked us out of those conversations.

You should check out Doc's records compared with Snyder's when they both faced the same conference schedule. Doc's three years of success came immediately when C-USA became a lot weaker by losing its best teams.

There was a coup? No one called, I would have participated.

Banker...the real kicker in this is when I look back on the thousands I kicked in for the IAF that was a game changer......you ever look back and chuckle?

To paraphrase the late Ernie Salvatore, "failed coups against my head football coach are the Onliest kind of coups for . . . . . . . . Mike Hamrick"!!

Banker...the real kicker in this is when I look back on the thousands I kicked in for the IAF that was a game changer......you ever look back and chuckle?

Yeah, I got a lot of money sitting in that building also. It seems like we got immediately worse when it opened. I think we need to tear it down and put the huge crown back in the field. Seriously, the weather was always our advantage. I remember there was a point, even with Snyder as coach, that we had not lost a single CUSA game at home if the kickoff temperature was 45 or less. UCF was the only school in old CUSA that beat us at home in those conditions.

Reactions: SamSwimmer
What are the expectations for the program? Are they to win the conference every year or every other year? Conference USA might not be as strong as it once was and has several programs that are still somewhat new to FBS football, but they are in areas with a ton of HS football talent and have/are pouring money into new facilities.

This still could be a 9-3 season with a bowl win. That’s something to continue building momentum on. I think if you had a playmaker at QB with King in the backfield you could have challenged for the conference title this year. I think the loss of Chuck Heater really hurt too the last few years.

I'm already preparing for that game...We don't play well on blue turf...the high altitude oxygen got to us after the coin flip...we don't play West of Texas...we don't play well in Idaho...we are young, since we didn't have 18 returning starters...the long flight out here took it toll on the players...we couldn't find any good potatoes in Idaho. And, this only scratches the surface.

Fret no more...

https://foursquare.com/top-places/boise/best-places-potatoes

You can like Doc, you can dislike Doc. Whatever. Blaming Doc for "taking us out of the conversation" re: UCF, Boise, et al, is wrong. KO and MS did that long before Doc got here, and, for at least one year, Doc got us right back.

Again, you can like Doc, you can dislike Doc. Whatever. But this idiotic idea that a SEVENTY FIVE YEAR OLD, OUT OF COACHING FOR FIFTEEN YEARS, is somehow going to take over the program is insane, and was insane at the time.

You can like Doc, you can dislike Doc. Whatever. Blaming Doc for "taking us out of the conversation" re: UCF, Boise, et al, is wrong. KO and MS did that long before Doc got here, and, for at least one year, Doc got us right back.

Again, you can like Doc, you can dislike Doc. Whatever. But this idiotic idea that a SEVENTY FIVE YEAR OLD, OUT OF COACHING FOR FIFTEEN YEARS, is somehow going to take over the program is insane, and was insane at the time.

He’s had a decade to get us back to that level and failed to do so, and he’s had a cream puff schedule to boot.

Did I miss someone asking to rehire Bob? At a school like Marshall, you have to have someone the fans can support. If things are in a bad place, a gruff aloof ego-maniac is not going to work. This isnt Bama or UCLA or another major program where someone bristly can succeed when times are lean. Doc has had a weak overall schedule during his tenure, plenty of leeway to recruit with and still has horrible statistics when it comes to quality wins and titles. Marshall used to "Play for Championships" but now they just "play"......

Marine is right. We have lost to one quality team and self destructed in the other 2 losses. That shouldn’t happen with so many starters back.

Lack of reaction to halftime adjustments against MTSU.

Lack of any sort of offense and questionable timing of the QB change along with 4 turnovers against USM.

I put 1.5 of the two losses on the coaches. Turnovers and penalties are on the players.

Not this season I don’t think so. Anything short of a divisional crown and CUSA title game is a disappointing season considering the roster we had coming back

I think that sounds good to anybody that's eyebrows-deep in Marshall fandom, but I don't think you'd find many outside the club that would echo that statement. There's only one NFL talent on the whole team, and he's at wide receiver, taking passes from a rough-around-the-edges freshman or an FCS transfer with a dead arm. Our O-line is experienced, but is made up mostly of Sophomores and Freshmen. We have two decent running backs: one who can pass protect but needs a ten-yard runway to hit top speed, and a shifty gazelle who couldn't hold up a wet newspaper. Oh, and we're installing a new offense, one that seems to run counter to the instincts of the head coach who oversees it.

That's sounds a lot more like 7-5 to me.

Whether we finish 5-6, 6-5, 7-4 or 8-3 this season has been a disappointing one... A lot of people, myself included, thought we would compete for a division title and possibly a CUSA championship.

I have supported Doc from day one, originally because he was anyone other than Mark Snyder, and later because I thought he did a pretty good job during the Cato years... But after watching the last two seasons, I agree that it is probably time for a change. The program needs some new life, and more importantly a coach with some offensive chops.

Marine is right. We have lost to one quality team and self destructed in the other 2 losses. That shouldn’t happen with so many starters back.

Lack of reaction to halftime adjustments against MTSU.

Lack of any sort of offense and questionable timing of the QB change along with 4 turnovers against USM.

I put 1.5 of the two losses on the coaches. Turnovers and penalties are on the players.
I would have agreed with you had we not been replacing BOTH coordinators and breaking in a new starting qb

Doc needs to have our football program become an Independent, so he and Hamrick can then schedule whoever the bottom 12 teams are in Div I-A football every year.

We are out of weaker conferences to move to, which would help Doc get some wins under his belt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT