ADVERTISEMENT

Thundering Herd Illustrated vs. Herd Insider - here's the deal....

Apr 22, 2015
Greg Perry and I thought we should clear up any misconceptions that exist about the two fan magazines covering the Herd, the Herd Insider - around since 1998 - and the all new Thundering Herd Illustrated. This can be a thread or the moderators could pin it to the top of the page.

Herd Insider is an independent magazine wholly owned by Kindred Communications, which has six radio stations in the area (The Dawg, 93.7; The Planet, 92.7 and 98.5; HITS 97.9; Big Buck Country 101.5, ESPN Huntington 930 AM and 94.1 and Cat Sports 93.3 FM and 1340 AM). Mike Kirtner (CEO of Kindred/columnist), Woody Woodrum (editor/writer), Greg Perry (publisher/columnist), former Marshall Coach Bob Pruett (weekly column), Paul Swann (writer), Reeves Kirtner (Kindred's Operation Mgr. and Sales Mgr./columnist) and Billy Cornwell (news director/writer) will write for our 24 issues (two per month) in new magazine form, instead of the newspaper style you have received from HI since it was founded in 1998.

You can buy a subscription from HI at www.herdinsider.com, $24.95 for 24 issues. The magazine is available at all our advertisers in the Tri-State for free, but the subscriptions allow us to mail hard copies of the magazine to out-of-towners. The magazine is also available at issuu.com if you want to read online at no charge.

Thundering Herd Illustrated is going to produce 12 issues (6 printed) by the Marshall Athletic Department. After sending Herd Insider to members of the Big Green at certain donation levels for over the past decade, IMG Sports is producing the magazine with Chuck McGill as the editor/writer as well as stories and/or columns about student-athletes and donors by folk like Mike Hamrick, Steve Cotton and members of the Big Green Scholarship Foundation. THI will be sent to donors at a certain level (I believe starting at $100 per year in donation).

The Thundering Herd Illustrated has a cover story on Vinny Curry's recent donation to the Big Green and University Foundation, and how he is heading up a locker room improvement with former players donating and getting a name plate in their locker in the JCE Stadium's Shewey Building.

Herd Insider had "7 Reasons To Go To Marshall Football Games" on cover one, and Dr. Jerome "Jerry" Gilbert, the President of Marshall University, with be on the cover of issue two.

So Herd Insider is back to being independent of the Marshall Athletic Department as it was when Greg Perry founded it in 1998, meaning we can write about prospective student-athletes and recruiting, form example (THI will not do recruiting).

If you want to get Herd Insider every two weeks, subscribe at herdinsider.com.

The Athletic Department will produce its magazine to be sent to donors at a certain level six times per year, and then available six more times online (not sure if stand alone page or part of HerdZone.com).

So anything I say and write is not generated for or reviewed by the Athletic Department basically, and we will cover anything that goes wrong - but a lot more will be about what is going right for the Herd, and most articles are written in column form, looking ahead to games and the student-athletes and coaches who are parts of those games.

For example, our second issue - being printed now and back for early next week - has a cover story with Dr. Jerry Gilbert, President of Marshall and I have a story on the first family of sports in Huntington, the Zban Clan, while Bob Pruett talked about the upcoming game with South Carolina recently signed, and talks with Billy Malashevich who kicked the winning field goal that night in '98.

Hope this clears up the confusion with now two magazines covering the Herd in slick, magazine styles. Enjoy both - plenty of Marshall stories to go around!

If you have further questions, contact Greg or myself at woodywoodrum@gmail.com or gregkperry@gmail.com and we will try to answer. Thanks for the time.

I look forward to the objectivity. For starters, give us the straight scoop on potential conference affiliation. I'd like to see a whole issue devoted to this subject.

While pretty, I was not impressed with the content (or lack thereof) in the IMG publication.

Reactions: Herdon2
I signed up for subscription to Herd Insider weeks ago if not more than a month ago & still haven't got one yet.

I just replied to the initial emails got after payment on 8-8-16. I asked when I get my first issue.

Thundering Herd Illustrated is a (much-needed) public relations vehicle for the athletic department. Its going to be more Chuck McGill than Chuck Landon - well written articles about the inner-workings of the athletic department, but nothing in the way of rumors or dirt, and some restrictions on content (especially recruiting) required by NCAA compliance.

Herd Insider is a (much-needed) independent sports journalism endeavor devoted solely to Marshall sports. Given the way Marshall gets short-changed in newspapers outside of Huntington, and the....uhm.....relative quality of newspapers in the immediate tri-state area, its got its niche as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT