ADVERTISEMENT

Time to take a look at Huff!

Serious question: can we afford the $755k(ish) buyout and call this experiment over?

Marshall doesn't have the balls to fire him. I doubt we have a donor willing to pony up the money to do it.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Spears has shown he’s willing to wield the axe. If the rumors about him turning down an extension are true then I wouldn’t be surprised if he is gone after this year.

You either have to extend or fire. You cannot recruit with a coach on a 1 year contract. If he is extended it should be with the understanding that he find new coordinators.

Huff has to change something, just throwing in some silly direct snaps to Ali and playin a second QB for a quarter isn’t gonna cut it.

We see what you’re not doing and that’s fixing the glare issues, OL sucks, QB play sucks, Play book sucks, Keaton only knows fair catches, Screen passes don’t work if you can’t throw deep, run game is ok but we don’t run enough, Every deep route is to the sideline.

I say fire Tirck Daddy because that was the laziest no efforted attempt at filling a coaches position I’ve ever seen. Totally unproven and still extremely unproven! Then fire you OL Coach worst OL play I’ve ever seen, Ahmad Bradshaw would have looked just as bad as our backfield does, Ali is good enough to alway get positive yards thankfully. I just don’t get why you’re sticking to your guns so badly. Fire the whole staff and start over at least you can say you tried!

Spears has shown he’s willing to wield the axe. If the rumors about him turning down an extension are true then I wouldn’t be surprised if he is gone after this year.

You either have to extend or fire. You cannot recruit with a coach on a 1 year contract. If he is extended it should be with the understanding that he find new coordinators.
Spears has shown he’s willing to pick on the little guys. Like the bully on the playground that picks on the little kids until somebody stronger confronts him. Does he have the stones to fire the FB coach? Heck does he even have the authority to fire him? 10-1 it’s written in Huffs contract he answers to the president not the AD. BP had the same thing.
I would guess Huff is back for another yr without an extension. Recruiting? With the portal all you need is playing time and we’d have plenty available
If he turns it around, great if not, next coach up. It is clear he does not want to be here

Spears has shown he’s willing to pick on the little guys. Like the bully on the playground that picks on the little kids until somebody stronger confronts him. Does he have the stones to fire the FB coach? Heck does he even have the authority to fire him? 10-1 it’s written in Huffs contract he answers to the president not the AD. BP had the same thing.
I would guess Huff is back for another yr without an extension. Recruiting? With the portal all you need is playing time and we’d have plenty available
If he turns it around, great if not, next coach up. It is clear he does not want to be here
The portal could be all Huff needed to succeed, but it requires him to be an effective recruiter, of which he does not appear to be, despite that being one of his biggest strengths upon hire.

- We can not "afford" NOT to fire Huff. This program cannot sustain itself by simply showing up. We are not NEARLY that big or historical or important. A few years of bad or even mediocre performance, and we are irrelevant. And, unlike even a lot of G5 schools, we do not have a large student population paying involuntary student fees to fund things. We need fans, and fans want winning. $750K is peanuts compared to shutting down the program, and that where we are headed under this crew.

- Huff will never leave on his own. No program is stupid enough to hire him, and no one voluntarily gives up power or money. We are stuck with this guy until someone has the balls to fire him.

- CS is more concerned about women's soccer and such like.

- Best case scenario is we do one of those "fire the assistants" refreshes. They don't work.

Fire Charles Huff.

- We can not "afford" NOT to fire Huff. This program cannot sustain itself by simply showing up. We are not NEARLY that big or historical or important. A few years of bad or even mediocre performance, and we are irrelevant. And, unlike even a lot of G5 schools, we do not have a large student population paying involuntary student fees to fund things. We need fans, and fans want winning. $750K is peanuts compared to shutting down the program, and that where we are headed under this crew.

- Huff will never leave on his own. No program is stupid enough to hire him, and no one voluntarily gives up power or money. We are stuck with this guy until someone has the balls to fire him.

- CS is more concerned about women's soccer and such like.

- Best case scenario is we do one of those "fire the assistants" refreshes. They don't work.

Fire Charles Huff.
I can confidently say that Spears isn't more concerned with women's soccer and such.

The 'fire the assistants' washing might be what happens, but I do agree that the option to do so isn't really the best choice. If that is done, then Huff will be granted a 2 year extension, which no matter how the contract is written, will increase the sunk costs in case the program treads water or declines further.

Last edited:
That’s what Doc did in an effort to save his job and all he did was hire a guy that ran the exact same offense Bill Legg ran and changed nothing.. results are, he was let go !!

That’s what Doc did in an effort to save his job and all he did was hire a guy that ran the exact same offense Bill Legg ran and changed nothing.. results are, he was let go !!
Tricketts offense is no different than 60 plus teams in the country. The problem is his flow, in game play calling and us staying off schedule. Plus we can't hit any big pass plays. Only long passes we attempt are down the sideline because the coaches know Fancher is terrible and it minimizes the chances of an interception. Our wrs have the droppsies, but I honestly think they are suprised to get a pass they can catch. Also it is different catching a left handed throw than a right, I know that sounds dumb, but it is.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
The problem is that Huff was a RB coach, not a OC, DC, HC ant anny level. He hired Trick & Semore who are both 1st time OC & DC who aren’t proven.
I believe Seymore was a DC for Valdosta St for a few years. I know it's just DII but they did win a NC or two while ge was there if I saw his resume right.

Reactions: sluggo72
I can confidently say that Spears isn't more concerned with women's soccer and such.

The 'fire the assistants' washing might be what happens, but I do agree that the option to do so isn't really the best choice. If that is done, then Huff will be granted a 2 year extension, which no matter how the contract is written, will increase the sunk costs in case the program treads water or declines further.
The problem with firing assistants is Huff has no connections to replace them with better assistants.
They need to cut ties after the last game and rebuild. Either way 2024 is gonna be brutal

The problem with firing assistants is Huff has no connections to replace them with better assistants.
They need to cut ties after the last game and rebuild. Either way 2024 is gonna be brutal
That's pretty much what I said.
I'm not convinced that cutting the ties will happen, even if it should.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

I bet you get half mast re-reading what you write about Spears.

Just challenge the guy to a fight and lose already.

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The portal could be all Huff needed to succeed, but it requires him to be an effective recruiter, of which he does not appear to be, despite that being one of his biggest strengths upon hire.

Guess he found out real quick how different recruiting for MU is vs. Alabama.

The biggest recruiting blunders he has made hasn't even been the players, it's the coordinators and coaches he's brought on.

Lot of good defenses at the FCS level. Those guys aren’t expensive.
I don’t disagree at all just offering a possible explanation. That said I knew something about Huffs on the field staff bothered me, but I couldn’t put a finger on it. He didn’t hire anybody he coached with at previous spots. He didn’t bring any GA’s, analysist etc from PSU ALABAMA MISS ST etc Now look at the first staffs of Va Tech. Many of them had some sort of relationship w Pry either at PSU or Vandy etc. look at Ricky Rohne (sp) at Old Dominion be brought a bunch of staffers from PSU etc just an observation

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Guess he found out real quick how different recruiting for MU is vs. Alabama.

The biggest recruiting blunders he has made hasn't even been the players, it's the coordinators and coaches he's brought on.
Oh, it's his players.
For whatever reason, people are hesitant in criticizing the lack of player's abilities. This team is not talented, especially on the offensive side.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT