ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh

Those 8-month years must be getting tiresome, especially when you don't get off until 3:30 every day.

Reactions: 19MU88
Aren’t you a banker? Lol.

Yeah, and last time I checked I work year round and don't get home until (at least) 6:00 pm every night. That's after getting to the office at 7:45 am. Never mind the after hours events I have to attend, the 3-4 hour work travel that gets me home at 10 pm sometimes, or the 3-4 nights in a row I have meetings out of town. Or the constant calls and texts over the weekend from my clients.

Yeah, I'm a banker.

Yeah, wonder if the teachers get a $700 billion bail out.

The thing is the teachers never asked for a thing. The payraises and some silly bonus for attendance was placed in an omnibus bill with charter schools, educational spending accounts, and removing a teacher’s right to strike. The 5% payraises and $1000/$500 bonus for missing less than 4 day’s was thrown in but never asked for. The teachers are essentially fighting a bill that would give them a raise.

The thing is the teachers never asked for a thing. The payraises and some silly bonus for attendance was placed in an omnibus bill with charter schools, educational spending accounts, and removing a teacher’s right to strike. The 5% payraises and $1000/$500 bonus for missing less than 4 day’s was thrown in but never asked for. The teachers are essentially fighting a bill that would give them a raise.
All because you don’t like competition?

Reactions: 19MU88
Yeah, and last time I checked I work year round and don't get home until (at least) 6:00 pm every night. That's after getting to the office at 7:45 am. Never mind the after hours events I have to attend, the 3-4 hour work travel that gets me home at 10 pm sometimes, or the 3-4 nights in a row I have meetings out of town. Or the constant calls and texts over the weekend from my clients.

Yeah, I'm a banker.

I’m 60 years old and could retire tomorrow if I wanted and I still work more hours than you.

Yeah, I'm a banker.

And you get compensated far more than a teacher does for it. You probably make as much or more than a teacher who has a master's and 25 years of experience.

Find any other person with a master's in their field and 25+ years of experience who makes less than a teacher.

Yeah, I'm a banker.

Fortunately, no one has to depend on you for an education.

Reactions: countryroads89
I mean...you get home at 6:00? Dang...sign me up.

Yeah, prior to working most evenings from home after taking care of the kids while my wife works 15 hour days at the hospital. I know you're self employed, so don't act like the average teacher works more than 8-9 months per year, at most.

And you get compensated far more than a teacher does for it. You probably make as much or more than a teacher who has a master's and 25 years of experience.

Find any other person with a master's in their field and 25+ years of experience who makes less than a teacher.

Are teachers not aware of their pay scale, benefits, etc before taking a job, just like everybody else on earth? You all use that argument like teachers are shocked to learn that their pay is so low, only after they get their first paycheck.

Are teachers not aware of their pay scale, benefits, etc before taking a job, just like everybody else on earth? You all use that argument like teachers are shocked to learn that their pay is so low, only after they get their first paycheck.

In that case, don't ever ask for a promotion or a raise. Teachers aren't able to do that. No matter how well they perform, how hard they work, how much they have to pay out of their own pocket, how much their benefits change against them, etc., they don't have the ability to ask for a raise, get reimbursed, or get promoted.

The system has made it so hard for that to change, even when other things change against them, that they don't have much recourse to get immediate results except for striking.

Yeah, prior to working most evenings from home after taking care of the kids while my wife works 15 hour days at the hospital. I know you're self employed, so don't act like the average teacher works more than 8-9 months per year, at most.

You bring up a great point. Let’s send the kids year round. I’m in. Let’s see...that will add two months to my pay...dang, that would add $10,000 to my pay. That would boost my retirement income since they take the last five years average.

Oh by the way...in many versions of the bills that are being kicked around, authority to raise county levy rates would go to the board of education without having to be voted on. I’m sure you’re for that since the teachers have been fighting the bill that includes it.

“Levy Rates (§11-8-6f) Allows county Board of Education to vote annually to increase their maximum levy rate up to a specific statutory maximum amount. (The WVBE endorsed this measure provided that no school district receive a loss in state funding).”

And you must be for the pay raise and bonus for missing less than four days too, right? Teachers were fighting a bill that include a pay raise. Them damn lazy teachers.

But of course above you said...”What do they want now?” You didn’t even know what was involved but you knew you were against the teachers. Lol.

In that case, don't ever ask for a promotion or a raise. Teachers aren't able to do that. No matter how well they perform, how hard they work, how much they have to pay out of their own pocket, how much their benefits change against them, etc., they don't have the ability to ask for a raise, get reimbursed, or get promoted.

The system has made it so hard for that to change, even when other things change against them, that they don't have much recourse to get immediate results except for striking.
they don't need to ask because they get a raise every year.

You bring up a great point. Let’s send the kids year round. I’m in. Let’s see...that will add two months to my pay...dang, that would add $10,000 to my pay. That would boost my retirement income since they take the last five years average.

Oh by the way...in many versions of the bills that are being kicked around, authority to raise county levy rates would go to the board of education without having to be voted on. I’m sure you’re for that since the teachers have been fighting the bill that includes it.

“Levy Rates (§11-8-6f) Allows county Board of Education to vote annually to increase their maximum levy rate up to a specific statutory maximum amount. (The WVBE endorsed this measure provided that no school district receive a loss in state funding).”

And you must be for the pay raise and bonus for missing less than four days too, right? Teachers were fighting a bill that include a pay raise. Them damn lazy teachers.

But of course above you said...”What do they want now?” You didn’t even know what was involved but you knew you were against the teachers. Lol.

No. I'm against them striking, and collective bargaining, and unions. I've followed the goings on at the state senate. The question was rhetorical.

That's my whole point. They know what the system is like before they even enter college, much less become a teacher.

I moved nearly 16 years ago. Tough decision then. Looking back, I am glad I got out of there. I never like to say never, but the odds are slim I would ever live full time there again.

This is just a prime example of it. Are you all always going to accept being last in everything?

Let's just walk out....again.

Yes, the 1% - 1.5% raise they get each year that doesn't even keep up with the inflation percent or any other cost in living for the region.
I’d love that much of a raise. After inflation, increase costs of benefits going up I end up losing money on my “raise”. And trust me my benefits cost way more than peia and aren’t near as generous

Don't be a teacher. Problem solved.

Let's look at WV teachers.

Health insurance. Very low cost even for a family You all can look it up but we have anywhere from $28 for single up to a couple hundred bucks for a family.

Good retirement system.

I won't argue over the work hours. I am going to say the average teacher there probably works 35 hours a week(some more some less).

They get off for Christmas(a week or more). A week for deer season(thanksgiving). A week for spring break. Some other holiday.

Work 9 or 10 months.

And, you have arguably one of the worst education systems in the country with one of the lowest rates of college graduates.

You are protected and takes an act of Congress to get rid of you.

Your state is losing population and at least one generation of people. Who know how many.

And you want to belly ache.

Meanwhile Ga, South Carolina, NC, Tennessee, and Virginia just backed up another moving van of your people moving out.

Last edited:
Reactions: big_country90
school teachers are not the only group who have education that are routinely underpaid. How about social workers. Most have a Masters and they make on average about 1500 more per year. The only difference- they work 50 weeks a year.

http://money.com/money/3318635/worst-paying-jobs-requiring-a-masters/

I am not against teachers. I will say they are far from the only people who are not compensated properly. This is one list. There are many other jobs that could be added that don't have a union or the ear of the public.

Reactions: GK4Herd
Lol. Not much for facts are you.
Lol. Prove me wrong.

the only ones who don't get a raise every year are those that have, what, 35 or 40 years in and are maxed out on the salary schedule? yes, that's correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT