ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: 2017 Coaches salaries

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Good lawdy did you see what Saban is making?While I am at it how does Rich Rod pull in the #5 spot and Brian Kelly #64? I'm sure some of you will take me to task for mentionig this. However, there is an arms race to pay coaches absurd salaries going on IMO. Poor Doc comes in at #89. I will tell you this if he keeps winning we are going to be fortunate to keep him for this kind of money. I am not against coaches being paid well. It just seems that things are getting out of hand.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Come on Ohio really? If Doc keeps winning “we are going to be fortunate to keep him for that kind of money.” Doc is in his retirement job. Who is interested in him? I’m really curious why - if we win CUSA and a bowl .game, what “major” is going to come calling? Do you know something the rest of us do not? While it is not supposed to play a role in hiring I think age would be a factor despite his experience coaching and recruiting. Hope your right and I am completely wrong. Guess time will tell if a bigger paycheck is in Docs future.

Reactions: Dorrej
Come on Ohio really? If Doc keeps winning “we are going to be fortunate to keep him for that kind of money.” Doc is in his retirement job. Who is interested in him? I’m really curious why - if we win CUSA and a bowl .game, what “major” is going to come calling? Do you know something the rest of us do not? While it is not supposed to play a role in hiring I think age would be a factor despite his experience coaching and recruiting. Hope your right and I am completely wrong. Guess time will tell if a bigger paycheck is in Docs future.

Wow, someone sounds bitter.

First off, cut the BS of "I'm gonna be pessimistic and complain but I hope I'm wrong."

During the string of 10 win seasons, Doc was considered for the open Pittsburgh job. Legg interviewed for the HC job at some college elsewhere.
We also lose coordinators and coaches routinely.

You honestly don't need to do much to be hired by someone desperate.

Reactions: ohio herd
I think Doc is completely happy to stay here. Family is here, parents are here. He makes great money in an area where the cost of living is cheap. I don't see him leaving unless it's for WVU. jmo.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Legg interviewed for the HC job at some college elsewhere.

Legg interviewed for other coordinator openings, not HC openings.

Coaches, sure. But not coordinators. Legg has been running our offense since 2010 and this year makes Heater 5.0.

That's a pretty long run by today's standards.

Coaches, sure. But not coordinators. Legg has been running our offense since 2010 and this year makes Heater 5.0.

Didn't Legg interview for a FCS job a few years ago? Someone like Western Ill

Reactions: All4TheHerd
IMHO,

- Doc. Doc is 60. He is out of consideration for any program which would be at a high enough level to be a clear move up. Doc is fine.

- Assistants. Come and go. Doc's inner circle seems like they are either "loyal" or just not able to move up. Probably the latter.

- Saban, et al. People make what they make. Most higher ups in the academic world are over-paid. Unlike a lot of other schools that cling to the myth that their athletics are "self-supporting", the ones listed at the top of this chart really are.

Reactions: Herd-in-ATL
Good lawdy did you see what Saban is making?While I am at it how does Rich Rod pull in the #5 spot and Brian Kelly #64? I'm sure some of you will take me to task for mentionig this. However, there is an arms race to pay coaches absurd salaries going on IMO. Poor Doc comes in at #89. I will tell you this if he keeps winning we are going to be fortunate to keep him for this kind of money. I am not against coaches being paid well. It just seems that things are getting out of hand.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Compared to what a lot of your bigger corporate COE's make these salary's are probably a bargain. It also shows you just how how much money is begin made at the P5 level due in part to conference revenue sharing. And why those conferences have fought so steadfast to keep it P5 and G5. BTW the first G5 on the list appears at #55 and it's a private school with deeeeep pockets.

S&C coaches seem to not last long here, several position coaches as well. Coordinators, well you have really 2 main ones at OC and DC, which, yes, both have been here a very long time.

In fact, that's what makes us a much better program in the long run.

Last season, when people wanted Doc fired and all, I kept telling them to not pull the trigger.
First off, he had already proven he could win.
Secondly, he's actually a big of a bargain for his price.
Thirdly, he won't leave unless some real perfect storm job opens up, which isn't likely. You then have a coach who has been here, knows the area, knows how to recruit and knows how to win. If he's not leaving, he won't build himself a team that a new hotshot coach isn't going to adjust to very well, build up for maybe 2 years, and then bolt to the next level for more money, leaving us either high and dry or with a team that the next guy may or may not have success with.
In our position, losing/firing a head coach can decimate you for a while. Southern Miss when Fedora left is a great example of that and I'm sure there are more.

S&C coaches seem to not last long here, several position coaches as well. Coordinators, well you have really 2 main ones at OC and DC, which, yes, both have been here a very long time.

In fact, that's what makes us a much better program in the long run.

Last season, when people wanted Doc fired and all, I kept telling them to not pull the trigger.
First off, he had already proven he could win.
Secondly, he's actually a big of a bargain for his price.
Thirdly, he won't leave unless some real perfect storm job opens up, which isn't likely. You then have a coach who has been here, knows the area, knows how to recruit and knows how to win. If he's not leaving, he won't build himself a team that a new hotshot coach isn't going to adjust to very well, build up for maybe 2 years, and then bolt to the next level for more money, leaving us either high and dry or with a team that the next guy may or may not have success with.
In our position, losing/firing a head coach can decimate you for a while. Southern Miss when Fedora left is a great example of that and I'm sure there are more.

All4, yes its easy to see such a scenario at MU like what is happening at WKU right now. A succession of short term coaches who soon bolt for "Greener, meaning $$$$" pastures. Sort of a revolving door situation. Only works if a program can sustain success at a pretty high level. Yet to be determined if the new coach at Western can maintain their recent on the field success.

Doc, like predecessors Pruitt and Donnan, got his first shot to be a head coach at MU. All three had toiled for years as collegiate assistants. Like Donnan, Doc is not an MU alum, a factor that probably kept Bobby P. here when Houston came calling with plenty of $$$$. Unlike Donnan, however, Doc is coaching at a FBS school a stone's throw from his hometown. He lives there, has a reasonable commute to his job, and obviously has numerous ties, including family, to the area. Sets up a "comfort factor" that can, and sometimes does, offset the lure and attraction of greater financial rewards at another school at a different, perhaps distant, geographic location.

All4TheHerd did you read my last two sentences? Also perhaps read the posts after mine. Not sure how you would think I’m “bitter”?

Why the hell move at 60? As pointed out, he has strong family ties here. Lives 30 minutes from campus.
With this year looking good, next year - potentially great; that sets him up for a few more years after that at least. Plus, a possible bonus or pay increase along the way.
Then boom - he is in his mid 60's and ready to call it a career and chill in Putnam Co. jmo.

Compared to what a lot of your bigger corporate COE's make these salary's are probably a bargain. It also shows you just how how much money is begin made at the P5 level due in part to conference revenue sharing. And why those conferences have fought so steadfast to keep it P5 and G5. BTW the first G5 on the list appears at #55 and it's a private school with deeeeep pockets.

Doc is making 800,000 a year. of course some of that is perks. Marshall athletic budget is what maybe 24 million a year. His part of that is the majority. Let's say even 20 million a year. Most CEO's of a 24 million a year company are probably not making 800 large a year. Throw in all the other salaries of the coaches, cost, other sports cost, the cost of the athletic director and his staff, and it is a money loser for schools like Marshall or break even at best.

Let's be honest, the sports at most schools are there because we like them. And, we live in the first world economy.

Doc is making 800,000 a year. of course some of that is perks. Marshall athletic budget is what maybe 24 million a year. His part of that is the majority. Let's say even 20 million a year. Most CEO's of a 24 million a year company are probably not making 800 large a year. Throw in all the other salaries of the coaches, cost, other sports cost, the cost of the athletic director and his staff, and it is a money loser for schools like Marshall or break even at best.

Let's be honest, the sports at most schools are there because we like them. And, we live in the first world economy.
I don"t know what the answer is but it is really not healthy. I say we do alot with what we have to work with. To say the market dictates some of this I say if it did then schools whould not be subsidizing at huge rates. It is another example of Govt underwriting. In this case we like it... Oh well

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/projects/ncaa/subsidy-scorecards/marshall-university

All4TheHerd did you read my last two sentences? Also perhaps read the posts after mine. Not sure how you would think I’m “bitter”?

Nobody knows what Doc plans. After the hate he got from last season, it wouldn't shock me if he did leave for a P5 program seeing as how bad people got.
I find it funny that you were so dismissive of him moving up, like it's never occurred to anyone to hire him. Maybe his age is a factor, maybe he enjoys being home or a combination of the two, or something entirely out of the ordinary that none of us know about.

Oh, and "I hope you're right and I am wrong" is the worst thing you can say, really.

Nobody knows what Doc plans. After the hate he got from last season, it wouldn't shock me if he did leave for a P5 program seeing as how bad people got.
I find it funny that you were so dismissive of him moving up, like it's never occurred to anyone to hire him. Maybe his age is a factor, maybe he enjoys being home or a combination of the two, or something entirely out of the ordinary that none of us know about.

Oh, and "I hope you're right and I am wrong" is the worst thing you can say, really.
I agree. I think Doc will stay here but to dismiss him based on age doesn't fit IMO. Here is a study on current coaches tenure. 6 yrs on average.

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-players-coaches-recruiting-2016-11

Doc is 60. He still has plenty of mileage left. I would never say a school looking for someone with a proven track record would pass over Doc, when most coaches only stay 6 years.

Though I didn't qualify my response by saying the 500 largest companies, I might have been close. I'm not saying these salary's are right or wrong, however if Nick Saban were to leave Alabama, I bet some University would pay him more then he's making now. But to your point Doc might be making more then far market value based on the potential to generate comparable revenue. And that's were the emotion of sports comes into play.

This from Money Magazine:

"When Americans were asked to guess how much the average CEO in the largest 500 U.S. companies earns every year, the median guess was $1 million. (The average guess, by contrast, was about $9.275 million, a figure inflated by people who gave very high estimates.)"

"The real answer? The median reported compensation for CEOs of the largest 500 companies in the U.S. is $10.3 million. The average is $12.2 million."

Last edited:
Though I didn't qualify my response by saying the 500 largest companies, I might have been close. I'm not saying these salary's are right or wrong, however if Nick Saban were to leave Alabama, I bet some University would pay him more then he's making now. But to your point Doc might be making more then far market value based on the potential to generate comparable revenue. And that's were the emotion of sports comes into play.

"When Americans were asked to guess how much the average CEO in the largest 500 U.S. companies earns every year, the median guess was $1 million. (The average guess, by contrast, was about $9.275 million, a figure inflated by people who gave very high estimates.)"

"The real answer? The median reported compensation for CEOs of the largest 500 companies in the U.S. is $10.3 million. The average is $12.2 million."

Head Coach...CEO...same thing for colleges these days.

Do you know how big the largest 500 companies in the US?

Marshall's athletic budget of 24 million would be classfied as a small business and when someone would look at the books they would say a not profitable one either.

As for the fair market question, the schools are willing to pay it but in many cases it is not the "fair" market. Most of these schools, reall all of them, are subsidized by the tax payers.

This big football machine in college is going to implode one of these days.

Doc is not a P5 coach. He is currently coaching at a level that matches his abilities and is well compensated by Marshall. If he ever left, it would be for one of the Florida schools where I suspect he'll retire.

Wow, someone sounds bitter.

First off, cut the BS of "I'm gonna be pessimistic and complain but I hope I'm wrong."

During the string of 10 win seasons, Doc was considered for the open Pittsburgh job. Legg interviewed for the HC job at some college elsewhere.

You honestly don't need to do much to be hired by someone desperate.

We have had only 5 Coordinators since Doc has been here.

Offense: Legg, Goabbel, Peterson.
2 are still here.
How is ECU doing with Peterson??

Defense
Rippon was excused out the backdoor and Heater is still here.

Legg not being let go showed me Doc, Heater, and Legg will be here for the long run.

Like someone said, This is their retirement jobs.

You really think people got under his nerves, you dont know him.

If anything it pushed him to go harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT