ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Send Your Child to Marshall?

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
@ThunderCat98 brought this up in another thread by mentioning that he wouldn't send his child to Marshall. Removing your personal allegiances to Marshall, would you send your child there?

Excluding your personal allegiances/proximity to family, what are the reasons you would send your child to Marshall? Frankly, the low cost for a four-year school and being walking disabled (due to the small, flat campus) are the only reasons I can imagine.

In the most recent Forbes rankings of top four-year colleges, Marshall was the only C-USA school that didn't even make the rankings (650 schools). In comparison, Wheeling Jesuit was ranked #535.

Money magazine ranked the top 727 schools based on quality of education, affordability, and outcome. Again, Marshall was not ranked (my guess was that they didn't even meet the minimum graduation rate requirement). Schools ranked ahead of Marshall? Philander Smith College, Tougaloo College, Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Cornerstone University, Ringling College of Art & Design, Spring Arbor University, Brenau University, La Roche College (did Adam go there?), and Glenville State.

In other words, nobody is going to Marshall for the quality of education.

Are you sending them to Marshall due to it being close to great job opportunities, thus allowing relationships to be built for post-graduation success? Nope. The region is about as dead economically as you can get.

Are you sending them to Marshall for a great college experience? Eh, probably not. It is a commuter school with the campus becoming a ghost town on weekends with no football game. There is no significant social draw near Huntington (beaches, a big city, music fest/regular concerts, mountains, any sort of tourism draw, etc.). It isn't rare for many Marshall students to go to morgantown on weekends to want to take part in what they think is a real college experience.

Are you sending them to Marshall because you know they will be safe? Not really. Huntington's crime rate - both overall and violent - is very high. The murder rate is 7 times the national average, the rape rate is more than 3 times the national average, the robbery rate is over 2.5 times the national average, and the assault rate is over 2 times the national average.

The burglary rate is over 3 times the national average, the theft rate is almost twice the national average, and motor vehicle theft rate is almost twice the national average. And those numbers aren't just reflective of the national average - the crime rate is significantly higher for cities of similar size.

But maybe your son is a football player, and your desire to win a conference championship outweighs his safety, future success, and fun. Well, under Doc's reign, a Marshall player who stays for four years only has about a 44% chance of winning one conference championship, so your son isn't even likely to get that while at Marshall.

Outside of personal allegiance/proximity to family/cost for in-state tuition/being walking disabled, what are the reasons you'd send your child to Marshall?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderCat98
@ThunderCat98 brought this up in another thread by mentioning that he wouldn't send his child to Marshall. Removing your personal allegiances to Marshall, would you send your child there?

Excluding your personal allegiances/proximity to family, what are the reasons you would send your child to Marshall? Frankly, the low cost for a four-year school and being walking disabled (due to the small, flat campus) are the only reasons I can imagine.

In the most recent Forbes rankings of top four-year colleges, Marshall was the only C-USA school that didn't even make the rankings (650 schools). In comparison, Wheeling Jesuit was ranked #535.

Money magazine ranked the top 727 schools based on quality of education, affordability, and outcome. Again, Marshall was not ranked (my guess was that they didn't even meet the minimum graduation rate requirement). Schools ranked ahead of Marshall? Philander Smith College, Tougaloo College, Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Cornerstone University, Ringling College of Art & Design, Spring Arbor University, Brenau University, La Roche College (did Adam go there?), and Glenville State.

Are you sending them to Marshall due to it being close to great job opportunities, thus allowing relationships to be built for post-graduation success? Nope. The region is about as dead economically as you can get.

Are you sending them to Marshall for a great college experience? Eh, probably not. It is a commuter school with the campus becoming a ghost town on weekends with no football game. There is no significant social draw near Huntington (beaches, a big city, music fest/regular concerts, mountains, any sort of tourism draw, etc.). It isn't rare for many Marshall students to go to morgantown on weekends to want to take part in what they think is a real college experience.

Are you sending them to Marshall because you know they will be safe? Not really. Huntington's crime rate - both overall and violent - is very high. The murder rate is 7 times the national average, the rape rate is more than 3 times the national average, the robbery rate is over 2.5 times the national average, and the assault rate is over 2 times the national average.

The burglary rate is over 3 times the national average, the theft rate is almost twice the national average, and motor vehicle theft rate is almost twice the national average. And those numbers aren't just reflective of the national average - the crime rate is significantly higher for cities of similar size.

But maybe you're son is a football player, and your desire to win a conference championship outweighs his safety, future success, and fun. Well, under Doc's reign, a Marshall player who stays for four years only has about a 44% chance of winning one conference championship, so your son isn't even likely to get that while at Marshall.

Outside of personal allegiance/proximity to family/cost for in-state tuition/being walking disabled, what are the reasons you'd send your child to Marshall?

But maybe you're son is a football player, and your desire to win a conference championship outweighs his safety, future success, and fun. Well, under Doc's reign, a Marshall player who stays for four years only has about a 44% chance of winning one conference championship, so your son isn't even likely to get that while at Marshall.

~
What are you hoping to learn from this thread?

If you "personally" don't think there is anything great about MU.....then why would you post your thread?

Also....why couldn't you just answer the question that was asked by me "without" trying to "stir up trouble"?

If you "personally" don't think there is anything great about MU.....then why would you post your thread?

~~~~~~
Well, "I" didn't "say" there "was" nothing "great" about "Marshall." I "was" simply "trying" to "learn" why "others" may "send" their "children" for "reasons" other "than" I "listed."

Thundercat "expressed" in "another" thread "that" he "wouldn't," so "I" wanted "to" see "why" others "would." Perhaps, "they" don't "want" them "to" be "around" assholes "from" New York. "Perhaps," they "want" them "sheltered" and "around" people "very" similar "to" their "upbringing." In "other" words, "I" was "attempting" to "find" out "other" reasons, "besides" the "ones" I "mentioned," for "people" sending "their" child "to" Marshall.

Also....why couldn't you just answer the question that was asked by me "without" trying to "stir up trouble"?

Because you have the social skills of one of Hitler's autistic step-children. After watching you be rude to countless people on here for no reason (including when you berated a person for what you felt were poor quality pictures that they took the time to shoot and post on here for our enjoyment), I respond with the same rudeness and lack of social skills to you.

Please show me a post where I was rude (as you stated) to anyone and if I was I will certainly apologize.

Is this you, Gordon Gee????

Marshall is only the third most dangerous university, but we're trying and in some pretty good company.

https://insurify.com/insights/ivory-tower-incidents-americas-most-dangerous-universities/

Christ, that's concerning. So it isn't even like campus is a safe haven from the crime surrounding it in Huntington.

Is this you, Gordon Gee????

I'm still waiting for some valid reasons why people would send their children to Marshall other than the few I listed.

Christ, that's concerning. So it isn't even like campus is a safe haven from the crime surrounding it in Huntington.

I'm still waiting for some valid reasons why people would send their children to Marshall other than the few I listed.

Ummm, how's this: Perhaps the fact that MU has consistently refused to hire you, Yaggy, is GOOD ENOUGH for most discerning parents!!

Reactions: 19MU88
Disclaimer, I currently live in Huntington. To act like the city is a war zone is silly. I spent hours today around downtown and it was great. No issues with drug addicts, panhandlers, or anything else.

As far as would I send my kid there, big yep. The biggest factor I would look at for my kid’s education is cost. I almost made the mistake of going to expensive schools and am extremely happy I didn’t. The low cost of tuition coupled with the low cost of living in the area would push it for me. Knowing the area well, I would not have safety concerns.

I'm sure the reason why a lot of people wouldn't be personally offended by this thread, is that most who do post on here on a somewhat regular basis at least cares about Marshall University as an institution and wants to see it thrive per its mission as a public university.

The Forbes study is very disturbing to say the least. Without going into any real detail (other than to say I am not an employee of Marshall University), lets just say a large number of parents of prospective Marshall students do express concerns about what they see in the national news about the Huntington area being an epicenter of the drug epidemic (including the National Guard being recently called out to help restore some semblance of order). In addition, Marshall University has done a very poor job in advertising its academic achievements such as the recent Carnegie Institute reclassification and of course its Broadcasting and Journalism Departments). Finally, for whatever reason Marshall University by and large has an apathetic alumni network outside of the tri-state area (with a few notable exceptions). Many parents take note of these things ... and encourage their kids to attend other schools such as Toledo.

Ummm, how's this: Perhaps the fact that MU has consistently refused to hire you, Yaggy, is GOOD ENOUGH for most discerning parents!!

So you decide where your children go to college based on where I don't work? Harvard has never hired me, so I'd guess that would be a better choice for your little bastards.

You must have been one of the alums interviewed by those publications when they made their college rankings.

As far as would I send my kid there, big yep. The biggest factor I would look at for my kid’s education is cost.

Thanks for the answer.

Let's try this again. Please pay close attention to my use of "other than the few I listed" in the quote below:

I
lets just say a large number of parents of prospective Marshall students do express concerns about what they see in the national news about the Huntington area being an epicenter of the drug epidemic

Don't tell Coach Stowers that. In his five years of being a huge Duke Marshall fan Marshall coaches' lackey, he's never heard of such a concern from a recruit or parent.

My mistake, you want to argue. Completely ignored the safety concerns I addressed. You should have titled the thread “outside of the good reasons to go to Marshall why would you someone go to Marshall” so it would have been clear.

Marshall is only the third most dangerous university, but we're trying and in some pretty good company.

https://insurify.com/insights/ivory-tower-incidents-americas-most-dangerous-universities/

Also from that study....

By a wide margin, Marshall University boasts the lowest number of property crimes per 10,000 students on this list.

Schools on the list property crime averaged between 68-232 per 10k students.

Marshall had just over 16. My guess is that it would be one of the lowest in the US.

My mistake, you want to argue. Completely ignored the safety concerns I addressed. You should have titled the thread “outside of the good reasons to go to Marshall why would you someone go to Marshall” so it would have been clear.

I ignored your safety concern comment, because it amounted to you not getting shot or bothered by panhandlers today while in Huntington. Ignoring that was so that I didn’t have to mock your absurd stance.

I could spend a week in Tehran without being harassed. That wouldn’t mean it’s a safe place for Americans to live for four years. Likewise, having a day in Huntington where you weren’t a victim of a crime doesn’t mean it’s a great place to be.

And the title of my thread is accurate. You answered the question and said you would send them to Marshall. Your reasoning is that it’s cheap (which was already one of the concessions I made about why it’s appealing) and you weren’t a victim of a crime today while in Huntington. Let’s hope the school doesn’t use you for their marketing ideas.

Anyone else want to explain why they’d send their child to Marshall other than it being cheap and you weren’t shot one day you went downtown?

Also from that study....

By a wide margin, Marshall University boasts the lowest number of property crimes per 10,000 students on this list.

Also from the study . . .

Marshall was the third worst on that list of dangerous schools when it came to violent crime. You may get raped or murdered, but dammit, at least you don’t have to worry about your PlayStation getting stolen (study clearly done after Bradshaw left school).

Marshall had just over 16. My guess is that it would be one of the lowest in the US.

That’s because the people who go there are only going because it’s cheap (thanks, MStapH). They don’t have any possessions, so property crime is minimal.

A+ deflecting. It is amazing how you use so many words to say nothing.

Reactions: 19MU88
A+ deflecting. It is amazing how you use so many words to say nothing.

Ten sentences are too difficult for you to read?

Again, your safety comment is a result of you not having anything done to you one day while in Huntington. That’s not much of a referral. You aren’t bright enough to realize that you confirmed exactly what I said. Outside of personal allegiance to the school, the only appealing factor is that it’s cheap.

Marshall provided everything I needed in an undergraduate degree and helped me get into a tertiary degree school. I have made plenty of money and been financially successful without taking out thousands of dollars or putting my parents into debt.

I think for most students, college is a means to an end. It provides a platform to get another advanced degree or to get into a job. I think the quality of education is overrated for most people going to college, but if it’s a priority for you then Marshall is probably not the one to pick.

Where you go to college isn't nearly as important as what you go to college for.

You can go to a highly-rated school and, if you make the wrong life decisions, still find yourself posting on a message board read by barely a dozen people at 1:30 a.m. on a Sunday night.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not difficult, just a waste of time.

If an example of a typical day in Huntington doesn’t satisfy you what do you want?

One thing some here are overlooking is the fact that Huntington wasn't the same in the 80s, 90s, or even early 2000s - when most of us went to school there - as it is now. The influx of drugs, gangs, and drug culture has increased exponentially in the last 10 years. That's not to say it wasn't present at all in those earlier times, but that the area has now become inundated with these things.

I'm sure the reason why a lot of people wouldn't be personally offended by this thread, is that most who do post on here on a somewhat regular basis at least cares about Marshall University as an institution and wants to see it thrive per its mission as a public university.

The Forbes study is very disturbing to say the least. Without going into any real detail (other than to say I am not an employee of Marshall University), lets just say a large number of parents of prospective Marshall students do express concerns about what they see in the national news about the Huntington area being an epicenter of the drug epidemic (including the National Guard being recently called out to help restore some semblance of order). In addition, Marshall University has done a very poor job in advertising its academic achievements such as the recent Carnegie Institute reclassification and of course its Broadcasting and Journalism Departments). Finally, for whatever reason Marshall University by and large has an apathetic alumni network outside of the tri-state area (with a few notable exceptions). Many parents take note of these things ... and encourage their kids to attend other schools such as Toledo.
And by "notable exceptions," I'm guessing you would include the Mid-Ohio Valley Alumni Chapter, which continues to provide scholarships and donations to MU each year. Nearly $34,000 in 2018, and $38,000 in 2019.

I would comment but my comments would be misconstrued. People would think my comments were made simply because I am a "Marshall hater" because I am a WVU fan. I'm not a Marshall hater and I'll sit this one out.

One thing some here are overlooking is the fact that Huntington wasn't the same in the 80s, 90s, or even early 2000s - when most of us went to school there - as it is now. The influx of drugs, gangs, and drug culture has increased exponentially in the last 10 years. That's not to say it wasn't present at all in those earlier times, but that the area has now become inundated with these things.

This is a good point... I wasnt at MU that long ago – 12 years – and the difference between Huntington then and now is staggering.

I never thought twice to walk from the dorms to restaurants or bars on 4th Ave downtown. Had very few issues over four years with feeling unsafe around town. Now when I go back for football games I drive everywhere and avoid certain sections of town completely.

Would I still want my child to go to Marshall? Yes, I received an education that allowed me to be successful in my chosen career field and I graduated with almost no debt for either myself or my parents. A college degree is what you make of it.

Stay away from dope, dope houses, dope dealers, dope users and dope whores...Huntington is suddenly no different than any other college town, and probably safer than many.

That would be easy if there weren't so many of those things.

In a perfect world, all of Huntington would be one big MU campus, connected to one big Pullman Square, a big Ritter Park and flowing directly into Barboursville and Milton and everyone could be safe everywhere. Unfortunately, most of the city is not that way. Instead, it's drive fast, head down, windows rolled up, doors locked, no eye contact, get me through this neighborhood urban decay.

I've never been scared of Huntington, mostly because of that time I walked a street too far in St. Louis, or that other time when I got off the bus in the wrong place in New Orleans, or when I decided it was cool to get ribs late at night in west Dayton.

Huntington may not be Mayberry, but no nevermind yes it is.

And by "notable exceptions," I'm guessing you would include the Mid-Ohio Valley Alumni Chapter, which continues to provide scholarships and donations to MU each year. Nearly $34,000 in 2018, and $38,000 in 2019.

I would consider that chapter to be within the tri-state area .... but that chapter would otherwise be one of the few if considered outside of the tri-state area.

I think for most students, college is a means to an end. It provides a platform to get another advanced degree or to get into a job.

And the latter part of that was some of the criteria in one of those rankings. Job placement/starting salary (under the "outcome" ranking) was a major part. Marshall struggles with that, almost all of which is a result of not providing a great education/admitting less than average students/being located in a dead economical area.

So it is a "means to an end" to get a job, but those jobs usually are inferior to the average job/starting salary grads from other four year schools get.

And yes, it provides a platform to get an advanced degree, but you also better have an extremely high GPA and grad school test scores if you want to go to a highly ranked grad program.

If you have a GPA from Marshall of 3.8 and an LSAT of 172, you aren't getting into Harvard Law in front of a Yale grad with a 3.5 GPA and a 171 LSAT.

If an example of a typical day in Huntington doesn’t satisfy you what do you want?

You clearly don't understand basic statistics. Crime rate is usually expressed in the form of residents per 1000. So if Huntington has a crime rate of 10, it means that one out of every 100 residents will be a victim of a violent crime that year. In other words, a "typical day in Huntington" for 99 residents won't result in them being the victim of a violent crime every day of the year. So claiming that you weren't a victim one day while in Huntington does nothing to eliminate the fact that Huntington has an exceptionally high crime rate.

Huntington is suddenly no different than any other college town, and probably safer than many.

I don't know about that. Huntington is much different in crime rates than other college towns (and by "college town," I mean an area where a college(s) makes up a substantial part of the city).

I'll go through a list of C-USA peer schools, schools I have been that fit the "college town" profile, and then major college towns (SEC, Big 12, ACC type places that aren't in huge cities).

You can go to a highly-rated school and, if you make the wrong life decisions, still find yourself posting on a message board read by barely a dozen people at 1:30 a.m. on a Sunday night.

I would think that would be more indicative of a person who made right life decisions. They don't have to worry about working again in their life and can stay up all night/all morning posting on a message board instead of having to wake up early and slave away at a job all day.

I don't know about that. Huntington is much different in crime rates than other college towns (and by "college town," I mean an area where a college(s) makes up a substantial part of the city).

I'll go through a list of C-USA peer schools, schools I have been that fit the "college town" profile, and then major college towns (SEC, Big 12, ACC type places that aren't in huge cities

I don't think raw data presents an accurate picture when it comes to crime. Are the victims the usual suspects? Parts of Louisville are damn rough, but when the news stations publish a photo of the victim it is usually one of their mugshots.

Rape, well Marshall had an active rapist on campus for a while. They fcvked that up.

I'm actually surprised that link mentioned a low rate of property crimes. I remember Huntington having lots of petty crime...breaking into cars and such. Which is pretty common around a university, as you probably know. Maybe people just don't report it anymore.

I've never been scared of Huntington, mostly because of that time I walked a street too far in St. Louis, or that other time when I got off the bus in the wrong place in New Orleans, or when I decided it was cool to get ribs late at night in west Dayton.

Huntington may not be Mayberry, but no nevermind yes it is.

There are neighborhoods in Louisville I will not drive through, and I carry a gun. Huntington? Not so much.

Reactions: ohio herd
So you decide where your children go to college based on where I don't work? Harvard has never hired me, so I'd guess that would be a better choice for your little bastards.

You must have been one of the alums interviewed by those publications when they made their college rankings.

Thanks for the answer.

Let's try this again. Please pay close attention to my use of "other than the few I listed" in the quote below:

Well, at least your reply indicates you know who you are, Yags, or "bastard". Mommy never did divulge who you real Daddy is, eh? Well, guess that's two people who don't know!!

There are neighborhoods in Louisville I will not drive through, and I carry a gun. Huntington? Not so much.
Derby 2006, I'm drunk and my friend tells me we need to run with this guy to make a pick-up. I have no idea its cocaine, and that we're headed to the hood to get it, and the next thing I know I'm in a Ford Explorer in the middle of the street, rocking back and forth as the crowd around us tries to roll it, dude on the other side of my window yelling, "Get the f--- out the car crackers we gon' kill you all."

The Lou is still in my Top 5 places to visit though.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

I don't disagree with that. But we're talking about sending your kids there. There are better, safer, and similarly priced schools out there. Again, I love Marshall, but there is no chance I encourage my kids to even consider going there.

Well, at least your reply indicates you know who you are, Yags, or "bastard". Mommy never did divulge who you real Daddy is, eh? Well, guess that's two people who don't know!!

That’s such a pathetic attempt that I’m not even going to talk shit about you. I’ll just quote your attempt to allow it to disparage you on its own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT