ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's Kerry Martin tweets about Derrek Pitts and WVU's DC Vic Koenning

Young man, go to the Coach that you have a problem with and discuss it with him privately.

What, in his list of complaints, is he alleging was racist? Sounds like he thinks his coach was racist because the coach has different opinions/beliefs than he (the player) does. Should the coach be proselytizing to his team? Probably not. But that seems like the worst offense based on what this kid posted. Not really sure I understand what he's getting at.

the coach in question has been suspended and is on PAID administrative leave

I haven’t followed, but have other players come out in support of either side? That would be the difference between this situation and what happened at Ok State.

Young man, go to the Coach that you have a problem with and discuss it with him privately.

According to the player, he not only has talked to the position coach about it, but he also talked to the head coach about it.

If I'm reading his posts correctly his lists of grievances are:

1. The coach a religious zealot.

This is probably the most troubling accusation. However, it really depends on how he goes about it. For the sake of this discussion, let's take the player at his word. At worst, the coach needs to be told to stop proselytizing to the players. Nothing racist about it.

2. The coach called him "retarded."

Really??? These kids would NEVER have been able to make it through little league 20 years ago. This is just retarded.

3. Someone else called the coach a "slave master."

What does this have to do with anything?

4. The coach agrees with Trump about needing a southern border wall.

Difference in political beliefs. Grow up. People aren't always going to think or believe the way you do.

5. The coach told his players to go to a certain building/room for practice.

Uh, not really even sure what to say here. Should he have sent a formal invitation requesting the player RSVP? Again, completely retarded.

6. The coach doesn't agree with the protests and/or riots.

Yet another political disagreement. Tell him you disagree and go on with it

Am I missing anything?

Which, if any of these, are "racist"? It sounds more like the coach and the kid disagree on various topics and this kid is a firm believer in his generation's response to anything he doesn't like, which is to make it go away (that is, cancel culture).

Reactions: rjpeal and Elkview
A fact-free, dogmatic, overbearing, evolution-denying, math-ignorant, unChristlike, judgemental, so-called Christian preaching his bullshit to me would make me leave any place.

Of course Carpenter is going to have a slight case of amnesia. In (Carpenter’s mind) he’s thinking, “your not going to have me out here in paid leave. So I don’t remember anything.” To be quite honest, an 18 year old young man more than likely recalls every conversation and statement his ole high school coach has ever made.

A fact-free, dogmatic, overbearing, evolution-denying, math-ignorant, unChristlike, judgemental, so-called Christian preaching his bullshit to me would make me leave any place.

and that would likely be welcome, assuming you were wanted anywhere in the first place.

You sure took a lot from the young mans opinions and comments. You probably know what the coach means by things or what he is thinking as well.

Reactions: Elkview
How long will it be until a coach is no longer needed? Just play schoolyard ball. No rules and no talking because it might make someone feel like they are being picked on. Also take turns at being quarterback .....lol what a mess

How long will it be until a coach is no longer needed? Just play schoolyard ball. No rules and no talking because it might make someone feel like they are being picked on. Also take turns at being quarterback .....lol what a mess

And the stars dads are the coaches. lol!

A couple things to note:

1) Without knowing the details of the situation, I can't help but note that whatever was going on up there, it was bad enough that Pitts gave up a starting role at WVU to be in a platoon at Marshall. That doesn't happen very often.

2) Marshall's football program is very, very Christian-oriented. For example, one of the conditions Holliday has imposed on poor-behaving players has been mandatory Sunday church attendance. I'm saying this because, despite being oriented this way, Pitts is obviously comfortable playing here, so I think it was the approach maybe moreso than the message.

3) Sounds to me like its not about race or religion, so much as the guy just being an insufferable ass and people don't want to play for him. Its good for WVU that this is coming out if that's the case, because otherwise WVU fans wouldn't know what was going on, it would just manifest in shitty play.

Pitts gave up a starting role at WVU to be in a platoon at Marshall. That doesn't happen very often.

Pitts' departure from WVU was aimed more at the university than it was any individual.

IMO, he could've pursued legal action had he wanted to.

A couple things to note:

1) Without knowing the details of the situation, I can't help but note that whatever was going on up there, it was bad enough that Pitts gave up a starting role at WVU to be in a platoon at Marshall. That doesn't happen very often.

2) Marshall's football program is very, very Christian-oriented. For example, one of the conditions Holliday has imposed on poor-behaving players has been mandatory Sunday church attendance. I'm saying this because, despite being oriented this way, Pitts is obviously comfortable playing here, so I think it was the approach maybe moreso than the message.

3) Sounds to me like its not about race or religion, so much as the guy just being an insufferable ass and people don't want to play for him. Its good for WVU that this is coming out if that's the case, because otherwise WVU fans wouldn't know what was going on, it would just manifest in shitty play.
Yeah doc can’t MANDATE church attendance

Good grief......Doc doesn't base playing time off their church attendance.

This is how dumbass rumors get started.

Do a number of the players attend church? Yes.

Are they forced? No.

Does "Rev" (Steve Harvey the team chaplain) have a tremendous impact on our players? Most certainly.

A couple things to note:

rumors is Martin may be transferring

You aware of the utter racism involved in most evolution teaching?

That's one I would absolutely be in agreement with said coach about.

Unlike evolutionists, who believe that black people evolved from "lower apes", Christians believe that all people, black, white, red and yellow are made in the image of God:

"Darwin explains that the “highest races and the lowest savages” differ in “moral disposition … and in intellect” (36)

The idea that white people are more intelligent and moral persists throughout. At one point, Darwin says that savages have “low morality,” “insufficient powers of reasoning,” and “weak power of self-command” (97).

For example, Rutledge Dennis examined Darwin’s role in scientific racism for The Journal of Negro Education and found that in Darwin’s world view, “talent and virtue were features to be identified solely with Europeans” (243).

He justifies violent imperialism. “From the remotest times successful tribes have supplanted other tribes. … At the present day civilised nations are everywhere supplanting barbarous nations” (160).

As white Europeans “exterminate and replace” the world’s “savage races,” and as great apes go extinct, Darwin says that the gap between civilized man and his closest evolutionary ancestor will widen. The gap will eventually be between civilized man “and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the gorilla” (201).

Read that last line again if you missed it: Darwin’s theory claims that Africans and Australians are more closely related to apes than Europeans are.

- Charles Darwin, "The Descent of Man" (1871)

https://sites.williams.edu/engl-209-fall16/uncategorized/the-dark-side-of-darwinism/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT