ADVERTISEMENT

Yuge win coming with healthcare anytime now

HerdBuckeye

Gold Buffalo
Feb 23, 2009
Trumps going to hit a home run with this any day. Then on to the wall. The great solar wall that is.

Last edited:
Trumps going to hit a home run with this any day. Then on to the wall. The great solar wall that is.

It's interesting to watch beggars taunt and sh!t-talk the people paying for all their free stuff.

I mean, I don't expect you losers to write me a thank you note, or be able to claim you as a dependent on my taxes, but at least have the decency to accept your handouts without causing a commotion.

trump-win1laugh.jpg

Serious question...should healthcare be only for those who can afford it? In the richest nation on earth, do we owe it to the citizens to produce a system that provides care to everyone, or should there be winners and losers based on ones lot in life?

Good question GK, but a difficult one to come to a majority answer. Personally, I get that everyone should be covered, but at the same time, I've worked every day since 1978, and I see able bodied people sitting idle nursing the system, so it's hard for me to justify giving them free everything. Granted, some folks do need handouts, but I feel we need to somehow determine how to weed out those who continually milk the system. Those are the ones that ruin it for most. Stop rewarding laziness and women who make money on basically manufacturing kids.

Good question GK, but a difficult one to come to a majority answer. Personally, I get that everyone should be covered, but at the same time, I've worked every day since 1978, and I see able bodied people sitting idle nursing the system, so it's hard for me to justify giving them free everything. Granted, some folks do need handouts, but I feel we need to somehow determine how to weed out those who continually milk the system. Those are the ones that ruin it for most. Stop rewarding laziness and women who make money on basically manufacturing kids.

Refreshing answer for this board. You've actually removed your ideological costume and answered the question honestly without the sharp edge usually associated with left/right discussion.

As a person who had been conservative most of his life, one of the things that shifted me to a less ideological view of things is the pure hateful rhetoric of many on the right. Of course it isn't a simple answer. There are lazy people who expect handouts and milk the system. (One of my conservative pet peeves) Of course that angers me. But there is also tons of people who (probably far exceeding the lazy) that are in low paying jobs without benefit who are in that position due to the situation they are born into.

I know there are rag to riches success stories and these people should be elevated and recognized, but being born into poverty or low income is such an overwhelming thing to overcome. Most don't. They are born to uneducated parents and instilled with lower expectations from birth. College is out of their means and most aren't college material due to the fact that they performed poorly in school because they lacked support at home with no emphasis on school success. They lack the circle of associations through their families that put them in positions to be hired into high paying jobs. There's a reason that non college educated wealthy people exceed college educated middle class and poor in income. Are we are really just flaunting our own success when we down the less fortunate?

So the question remains...should people be locked out of healthcare...many times meaning death or low quality of life...because they are less affluent? The unemployment rate is just under 5%. I know there are people that aren't included in that number, but the fact remains that there are far more people who are working than there are those who are bilking the system. So we can throw up rhetoric about the lazy people and not wanting to pay for them (I certainly don't), but that isn't a fair representation of reality.

It's interesting to watch beggars taunt and sh!t-talk the people paying for all their free stuff.

I mean, I don't expect you losers to write me a thank you note, or be able to claim you as a dependent on my taxes, but at least have the decency to accept your handouts without causing a commotion.
true story . . . as a kid, we were fairly poor. i grew up in the mid/late 70's and 80's and my dad's annual income was in the $18K neighborhood when i graduated high school, mom was a stay-at-homer to raise us brats. anyhoo, we'd go visit their friends once every week, give or take, and, as we'd pass this same house (much nicer than where we lived) each time, my dad would always have something to say about paying this guys salary/benefits/etc. i always thought, "dang, if it weren't for that prick, we might not be so darn poor." later in my late teens/20's i finally figured out the guy was on ssi disability, one of those common west virginia cases where the guy knew how to play the system to get it so he didn't have to work.

not sure if dad ever did get a thank you letter.

Reactions: sistersville
Serious question...should healthcare be only for those who can afford it? In the richest nation on earth, do we owe it to the citizens to produce a system that provides care to everyone, or should there be winners and losers based on ones lot in life?
richest nation on earth? lol, not even top 10. with our national debt, not sure how we're even sniffing the top 10.

The answer is easy. No.
Just saying NO is the easy answer. Nancy Reagan taught you that in the early 80's. What is your opinion on how to move forward, and change the system to fairly accommodate the outstanding citizens of the country you call home? I want a serious opinion, without simply saying to continue with ACA or stealing from Bernie.

as a kid, we were fairly poor. i grew up in the mid/late 70's and 80's and my dad's annual income was in the $18K neighborhood

i'm not going to say you weren't poor because we don't know the whole story, but unless your had 23 siblings, you were way below the poverty threshold.

$18,000 in 1978 is almost $70,000 today. the poverty threshold in 1978 for a family of four was $6,200.

Reactions: extragreen

I'm pretty sure you don't support me.

i'm not going to say you weren't poor because we don't know the whole story, but unless your had 23 siblings, you were way below the poverty threshold.

$18,000 in 1978 is almost $70,000 today. the poverty threshold in 1978 for a family of four was $6,200.
what was it in 1990 when i graduated high school?

family of 5.

richest nation on earth? lol, not even top 10. with our national debt, not sure how we're even sniffing the top 10.

We have the largest economy in the world...by far. Our GDP is 19.4 trillion with China next at 11.8 trillion. Hell...our gdp is 25% of the entire world's gdp combined. The individually held wealth in our nation far exceed the rest of the world. Our individually held wealth is nearly 49 billion. China is next with at 17 billion. Our national debt doesn't detract from the fact that our government has access to way more revenue than any other nation in the world.

You believing that we aren't in the top 10 is as naive as believing you're richer than Jim Justice because you have less debt than him.

We have the largest economy in the world...by far. Our GDP is 19.4 trillion with China next at 11.8 trillion. Hell...our gdp is 25% of the entire world's gdp combined. The individually held wealth in our nation far exceed the rest of the world. Our individually held wealth is nearly 49 billion. China is next with at 17 billion. Our national debt doesn't detract from the fact that our government has access to way more revenue than any other nation in the world.

You believing that we aren't in the top 10 is as naive as believing you're richer than Jim Justice because you have less debt than him.
you said richest nation on earth. what's the net worth of each of those you mentioned. don't forget, we doubled our national debt over the past 8 years.

Reactions: 19MU88
you said richest nation on earth. what's the net worth of each of those you mentioned. don't forget, we doubled our national debt over the past 8 years.

I'm assuming that since you brought up national debt that you were on the same page as me and talking about governments. Of course the small population oil rich countries have higher wealth per individual, but collectively no no other country has the purchasing wealth as the US. Let's put it another way...what economy do you fear the most...Leichtenstein or Quatar with GDPs per capita of $139,000 and $130,000 respectively (ranked first and second in world), or China with a per capita GDP of a little over $14,000 (ranked 112)?

I stand by my statement that the US is the wealthiest nation in the world.

I'm assuming that since you brought up national debt that you were on the same page as me and talking about governments. Of course the small population oil rich countries have higher wealth per individual, but collectively no no other country has the purchasing wealth as the US. Let's put it another way...what economy do you fear the most...Leichtenstein or Quatar with GDPs per capita of $139,000 and $130,000 respectively (ranked first and second in world), or China with a per capita GDP of a little over $14,000 (ranked 112)?

I stand by my statement that the US is the wealthiest nation in the world.
i get ya. there's several websites that disagree and indicate those small countries are richer, but you make a good point.

i just have an issue with the US having all of this "purchasing power" when our national debt is higher than the next three combined. on a smaller scale, this is akin to person A making $200K a year, having a mortgage of 1/2 a million, a couple car payments, and credit cards with balances while the neighbor lives debt free and makes $50K a year. the neighbor may not have as much nor live as extravagantly, but they're enjoying financial freedom. only difference between the united states and person A is that as long as the US has a checkbook, they have money. person A can lose everything if they can't pay the debt payments; the US, not so much.

Of course not, and that has never nor will it ever be the case in the United States. To argue this is the position of those who want a more market-based system is dishonest and misleading.

Medicaid and medicare exist for a reason. There are people who, by no fault of their own, are incapable of providing health insurance for themselves. Because of this, we as a country have agreed to provide a safety net for those truly in need. No one wants to take Medicaid away from them. But there are many, many abusers of the system, and the Medicaid expansion under Obama mostly expands coverage for the abusers. Those really in need were already covered.

My next door neighbor is an ER physician. Yesterday we were both out working on our lawns and started talking politics. He's a brown, Trump-voting second generation immigrant. He was bitching about all the people who come to the ER for minor issues in an ambulance multiple times per month. He said all of them have smart phones. All of them have the latest tennis shoes. Most of them smoke multiple packs of cigarettes per day. And they're all on Medicaid.

Able-bodied, going to the ER in an ambulance because their "back hurts." That ambulance ride alone costs around $1000. Tell me how this is sustainable? These people need to be purged from the system to fend for themselves.

Of course not, and that has never nor will it ever be the case in the United States. To argue this is the position of those who want a more market-based system is dishonest and misleading.

Medicaid and medicare exist for a reason. There are people who, by no fault of their own, are incapable of providing health insurance for themselves. Because of this, we as a country have agreed to provide a safety net for those truly in need. No one wants to take Medicaid away from them. But there are many, many abusers of the system, and the Medicaid expansion under Obama mostly expands coverage for the abusers. Those really in need were already covered.

My next door neighbor is an ER physician. Yesterday we were both out working on our lawns and started talking politics. He's a brown, Trump-voting second generation immigrant. He was bitching about all the people who come to the ER for minor issues in an ambulance multiple times per month. He said all of them have smart phones. All of them have the latest tennis shoes. Most of them smoke multiple packs of cigarettes per day. And they're all on Medicaid.

Able-bodied, going to the ER in an ambulance because their "back hurts." That ambulance ride alone costs around $1000. Tell me how this is sustainable? These people need to be purged from the system to fend for themselves.
Yep that sounds like West Virginia.

Of course that represents the experience of an emergency room physician, especially in an empoverished area. But is that a fair representation of the problem? I don't think so. There are way too many people who are not scamming the system and are working that can't afford healthcare because of cost. I'm with you on the able bodied people who are abusing the system. But do we indict every hardworking low waged individual because of those abusing the system? Health insurance has become out of reach for many Americans. The average family premium for Obamacare is a little over $1000 monthly without subsidies. The average annual out of pocket/deductible was something like $6000. Try paying for that on a lie paying job. The system is broke. It needs a major overhaul.

Of course that represents the experience of an emergency room physician, especially in an empoverished area. But is that a fair representation of the problem? I don't think so. There are way too many people who are not scamming the system and are working that can't afford healthcare because of cost. I'm with you on the able bodied people who are abusing the system. But do we indict every hardworking low waged individual because of those abusing the system? Health insurance has become out of reach for many Americans. The average family premium for Obamacare is a little over $1000 monthly without subsidies. The average annual out of pocket/deductible was something like $6000. Try paying for that on a lie paying job. The system is broke. It needs a major overhaul.

Obamacare is exacerbating, not alleviating the problem of cost. The republicans certainly aren't doing enough to truly address the problem, but some of their ideas have merit and will make health insurance more affordable.

Why should consumers be denied choice in their healthcare plan? Why, as a healthy mid-30s year old man, should I be forced to take a lower deductible plan that I would otherwise choose, with benefits that I will never use, in addition to paying for maternity care? It's completely asinine.

Why can't we teach Americans that health insurance isn't simply a third party payor, but rather a financial tool to be used in the case of unexpected health issues that could be costly? Why can't I look at CHH, CAMC, KDMC and St.M's websites and compare prices for their services, choose which provider is least costly, pay for my services out-of-pocket (or on a payment plan), and not utilize my health insurance for blood work or an x-ray that costs at most $300? We don't expect our auto insurance to pay for our gas or tires.

Market-based solutions are the only way we can drive down the cost of healthcare in the country. And cost is the only issue we have, as quality of care is superior to every other country on earth.

This game's already over. Everybody gets healthcare.

All that's left is trying to deter those who won't pay from clogging up the doctors' offices and ERs with piddly runny noses and headaches.

This game's already over. Everybody gets healthcare.

All that's left is trying to deter those who won't pay from clogging up the doctors' offices and ERs with piddly runny noses and headaches.
Awww come on Mitch is bringing the boys back. Who needs recess we have an easy healthcare situation to deal with first. Should just take a minute......

The doctors aren't that good and the medications are even worse. Better off staying away as long as you can and hope to kick the bucket in your sleep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT