ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Marshall vs Ohio

Birdsong has been bad but our receivers aren't helping him. Dropping balls. The line is not looking good. Birdsong looks like he is making his first D-1 start on the road. He will be fine. Cato looked terrible his first start in Athens. He will be fine

he's not making his first D1 start on the road. He started at Akron while at JMU.

The Cato/Birdsong comparison is a huge stretch. Rakeem had been graduated from high school for 4 months - Birdsong has been playing college football for four years.

he's not making his first D1 start on the road. He started at Akron while at JMU.

The Cato/Birdsong comparison is a huge stretch. Rakeem had been graduated from college for 4 months - Birdsong has been playing college football for four years.

Cato was also a hot headed YOUNG kid straight out of high school.

Downplay it all you want, his playmaking ability outside of the pocket won a LOT of games for us. I don't have the same confidence about this guy...at least not yet. He has to improve a lot or we don't stand a chance to be competitive in our conference.

Well the officials are back from the concession stands and calling every other play. This is pitiful. Let them play!

Downplay it all you want, his playmaking ability outside of the pocket won a LOT of games for us. I don't have the same confidence about this guy...at least not yet. He has to improve a lot or we don't stand a chance to be competitive in our conference.

I agree. Our fans expecting Birdsong to eventually be good just because he's our QB are in for a rude awakening.

^ THIS

Cato's deep ball was a thing of beauty.
Birdsong's is miserable. Need more throws down the seams.

Cato's deep ball was a thing of beauty.
Birdsong's is miserable. Need more throws down the seams.

Cato struggled with the deep ball consistently.

That said, every time he was under center, I felt like we had an opportunity to win. To score.
I don't feel the same way with Birdsong at ALL. Not by a long stretch.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Birdsong made a nice throw to pick up the first down but then follows it up by throwing the ball out of bound when Allen had his man beat by a couple of yards then another pass his receiver had no chance getting.

I think that fans hanging this game on Birdsong are over simplifying our struggles tonight. Penalties on every special teams play, offensive penalties every drive, Johnson fumbles, line couldn't block a plastic bag and wideouts drop passes. Yes birdsong has been bad, but I feel like throwing this guy under the bus this early into the season for a road game where we always struggle, is a little over the top.

Bill Legg hasn't helped things now that he actually has to call a game.

Last year it was nothing but nine routes and a zone read.

I have always felt like he has 7 plays he consistently calls.

I think that fans hanging this game on Birdsong are over simplifying our struggles tonight. Penalties on every special teams play, offensive penalties every drive, Johnson fumbles, line couldn't block a plastic bag and wideouts drop passes. Yes birdsong has been bad, but I feel like throwing this guy under the bus this early into the season for a road game where we always struggle, is a little over the top.

I can only recall one dropped pass (by Yurakchek) on a play where Birdsong made the wrong read.

They'll get better. Something's got to be done about the QB and play calling. The defense can't carry us each game. But I think things will get better.

I can only recall one dropped pass (by Yurakchek) on a play where Birdsong made the wrong read.

There have been several and he hit his receiver in the hands beyond hhs marker on a 3rd down, how is that the wrong read? I'm not saying birdsong has been playing lights out but his line has been a joke, he hasn't been able to get in rhythm because of penalties and the offense has no chemistry. also remember we had 4 less days to prepare for this game than they did. The only side of the ball that hasn't played well is Defense.

A lost against OU means this season is over in my book. Much rather lose to a big time program than to OU. Sucky schedule poor play season over next year.

I don't think he got in, but whatever. There was no replay that was definitive. Couldn't reverse it.

A lost against OU means this season is over in my book. Much rather lose to a big time program than to OU. Sucky schedule poor play season over next year.

Yeah I mean it's not like we've won in Athens anytime recently. Also we can still win our conference... But this is why our fans bug me "we lost a game! The season is over!!!!! Second game of his marshall career the QB sucks!!!!" Same people wanted Holliday gone 4 years ago

Another bonehead play.
Defense either wore down or giving up on the last OU drive. Ran right down the field and their running back bounced outside over and over as Danniel and Thompson had absolutely no containment at the defensive end positions.

Someone needs to point out to Doc that, hey, they play pretty darn good football at somewhere else besides south Florida. Check the OU roster, only a handful of players from Florida AND Georgia.

As for offense, pretty damn vanilla the whole game- - -basically the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid). Legg and Doc both have a stubborn conservative streak related back to Don Nehlen's philosophy at WVU. Pretty easy to see why Solich had a very successful HEAD COACHING career at the highest level, Nebraska, while Doc spent 3 decades as an assistant coach- - -there are several reasons, folks!!!

Finally, if its really true that a team makes the most improvement from GAME 1 to GAME 2, we are in really, really DEEP DOO DOO!!

Birdsong with a pick six. Fitting way to end the game. I havent seen a Marshall offense this inept since Skinner/Morris

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT