ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson Center Banners

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Hopefully we add the CIT 2019 Championship banner. My question is where did the other award banners go? I know they took them down so as not to inhibit the sight lines of the new video board but are they going to hang them at the east end of the HC where the CUSA banners were. And, speaking of the CUSA banners where did they go?
Curious.

Paper said that they will have a pennant hanging on the wall if we win; not a banner.
Not sure why? That's pretty much admitting this is less of an accomplishment - which sounds like KO speak.

IIRC, the only banners, or anything else, with the new scoreboard deal, is "NCAA" and "NCAA Second Round". Nothing for the NITs, nothing for the previous pay-to-plays, nothing for the NAIA.

Since the old scoreboard is redundant now, removing it and doing some larger banners would be OK.

As to the level of accomplishment a CIT is, I don't have an opinion.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Sam here’s a comment from a former Herd head coach:

The CIT is an outstanding event, which is run by outstanding people. Joe Dwyer, Angela Lento, Riley Wallace and the entire College Insider organization have always put the best interests of our game first. Each year they have strived to make the tournament better. The CIT is great for College Basketball.”

Dana Altman
Head Coach
Oregon

Yeah a 12-19 team deserves to be in the “post season”.
Your argument that there are too many bowl games is completely valid imo. But the % of men’s Div I basketball teams able to take part (by invite or $$) is a considerably smaller % of the group of teams theoretically able to qualify...wouldn’t you agree?

Your argument that there are too many bowl games is completely valid imo. But the % of men’s Div I basketball teams able to take part (by invite or $$) is a considerably smaller % of the group of teams theoretically able to qualify...wouldn’t you agree?

No I wouldn’t agree. As it is now about 41% of ncaa basketball teams “make” the post season. I’d cap it at about 30-35%

Let’s see there are 129 NCAA Div. 1 football teams and 351 Div. 1 basketball teams. So 41% of 351 means 144 teams play - I assume you mean post-season. If that is the case than 207 are not playing. How is that 144 too many with the other 207 out?

If we participated in a pre-season tourney down in the Bahamas & won, would we hang a banner?

Paper said that they will have a pennant hanging on the wall if we win; not a banner.
Not sure why? That's pretty much admitting this is less of an accomplishment - which sounds like KO speak.

Do you expect rings? A parade?
This tournament wasn't exactly what everyone expected or wanted.

Do we take down the CUSA banner because it’s a crappy league? By this logic, that would be a yes. Where do we set the parameters?

I think thats pretty evident already.
MU should always aim for the NCAA tournament...which means either a 30 win season or a conference title because thats how you get in at this point.
An NIT is good, MU still gets to play power programs as the field is loaded with them.

Beyond that, bragging rights should sorta end.
2019 CIT and CBI had 2 teams from power leagues...combined. DePaul from the Big East and wvu.
The rest are a bunch of mid majors...and the fans tend to grumble when we play mid majors.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Do you expect rings? A parade?
This tournament wasn't exactly what everyone expected or wanted.

Not at all, who said anything about that? Come on man.
Not everyone wanted it but the staff, team and about core 4K fans did. Looks like that was the correct call all along. We're making money each game to boot. Pretty simple conclusion on this one.

I think thats pretty evident already.
MU should always aim for the NCAA tournament...which means either a 30 win season or a conference title because thats how you get in at this point.
An NIT is good, MU still gets to play power programs as the field is loaded with them.

Beyond that, bragging rights should sorta end.
2019 CIT and CBI had 2 teams from power leagues...combined. DePaul from the Big East and wvu.
The rest are a bunch of mid majors...and the fans tend to grumble when we play mid majors.
All I know is I have really enjoyed watching my team play these extra games. Should be an awesome atmosphere in the Cam tonite. If you win a tournament, should you be able to cut down the nets?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Let’s see there are 129 NCAA Div. 1 football teams and 351 Div. 1 basketball teams. So 41% of 351 means 144 teams play - I assume you mean post-season. If that is the case than 207 are not playing. How is that 144 too many with the other 207 out?
My bad doing my math I did 321 d1 basketball teams instead of 351. That changes the percentage to about 38-39%. Because a 12-19 team can buy their way into those post season tournaments

No. Pre-season games don’t count wins or factor into players’ stats. Apples & oranges imho.

There are no “pre season “ tournaments. Aside from two exhibition games against lower classification opponents or two controlled scrimmages with other D1 teams all games count as do the stats accumulated in those games.

Why does football have to color basketball, and v-v? They are two different sports and MU is at two very different levels in each.

In football, there simply are not "too many bowls". Change the channel. Hold your breath and stomp your feet and swear that it is still 1990, or 1975. Ignore what you do not wish to exist. Further, if a pre-Christmas bowl is not for you, then MU football, even MU football in your beloved AAC (which will never happen) is just not for you. Find something else to enjoy. IMHO, some signage in the stadium should acknowledge each I-AA playoff appearance, each bowl, and larger signage for the two I-AA national championships.

In basketball, the "pay to plays" have been discussed. The NIT has been discussed. Fact is it is what it is. Now since we are discussion the decoration of the HC walls, IMHO, each of the conference championships, each of the NCAAs and each of the NIT and pay to plays deserve some recognition, but do not make ourselves look silly. So these banners, pennants, whatever:

NCAA: 1956 - 1972 - 1984 -1985- 1987 - 2018 second round
NIT: 1967 Final Four - 1968 - 1973 - 1988 - 2012
CIT: 2010 - 2011 - 2019 (champion or runner up)

NAIA: 1938 - 1947 - 1948

NAIA National Small College Champion 1947

MAC Champion: 1956
SoCon Champion: 1984 - 1985 -1987
CUSA Champion: 2018

No. Pre-season games don’t count wins or factor into players’ stats. Apples & oranges imho.
I really don't see much of a difference. I'm glad our younger players are getting the time & if we win it, that's great. Put up a poster in the locker room. But unless we just need something up on the wall/rafters, then this hardly counts as something to brag about.

I really don't see much of a difference. I'm glad our younger players are getting the time & if we win it, that's great. Put up a poster in the locker room. But unless we just need something up on the wall/rafters, then this hardly counts as something to brag about.

I respect your right to have an opinion and I'm sorry you feel that way. But my step-kid happens to be playing in the championship of this "non-braggable" tournament. If we didn't live 8+ hours away and have to work tomorrow we would be there cheering just as loud as if we were playing against Virginia for the national championship. This would NOT be a participation certificate. This would be a winning banner from a post season tournament with a field of 28 teams (I think) and we might win it. I dont give a rip if we paid to get in it or not. Now, if we paid to get into the championship game that's another story. The banner would represent to our fans and our recruits that this school plays in, and WON, post season tournaments. By the way, there are only about a dozens schools that can claim that they are still in the post season. DEFINITELY something to hang a banner for.

Last edited:
I respect your right to have an opinion and I'm sorry you feel that way. But my step-kid happens to be playing in the championship of this non-braggable". If we didn't live 8+ hours away and have to work tomorrow we would be there cheering just as loud as if we were playing against Virginia for the national championship. This would NOT be a participation certificate. This would be a winning banner from a post season tournament with a field of 28 teams (I think) and we might win it. I dont give a rip if we paid to get in it or not. Now, if we paid to get into the championship game that's another story. The banner would represent to our fans and our recruits that this school plays in post season tournaments. By the way, there are only about a dozens schools that can claim that they are still in the post season. DEFINITELY something to hang a banner for.
If your step-kid wasn't in this tourney you wouldn't care - be honest. And good for your step-kid that Marshall had the money to pay to enter this tournament, otherwise there would be no "participating".

If your step-kid wasn't in this tourney you wouldn't care - be honest. And good for your step-kid that Marshall had the money to pay to enter this tournament, otherwise there would be no "participating".
Also keep in mind Marshall is making money from this tournament.
I wouldn't care about it either if we weren't in it. BUT we are and as a Marshall fan I support it fully.
This gives our young players an extra 3 weeks of practice that not a single other CUSA player is getting!

Also keep in mind Marshall is making money from this tournament.
I wouldn't care about it either if we weren't in it. BUT we are and as a Marshall fan I support it fully.
This gives our young players an extra 3 weeks of practice that not a single other CUSA player is getting!
I've stated I hope we win & that'd be great. Also that it's great our younger guys are getting playing time. If this were the NIT, then 100% put up a banner. But not this. Will we put up a copy of the entry fee check with the banner if we win?

Reactions: The Real SamC

hmmmm......well, if the national championship was being played in downtown Atlanta (45 minutes from me) and my kid wasn't playing in it i wouldn't go. That is a true statement. So, by your logic, does that mean that the NCAA national championship is also nothing to brag about? Also, if another Marshall team, was playing close to us, for a championship (and my kid was not playing) we definitely would be there. My kid doesn't play on the girls team. i watched all of their tourney games. My kids doesn't play on the football team. I watched all of Marshall's games that we didn't travel to Jannson's younger brother's college games. I understand your argument, but I'm the wrong person to argue your side with. Just being honest.

Last edited:
Your making illogical jumps. You might not go to the National Championship, but you'd pay attention to it. Everyone does. It's got the country's hottest teams playing in most prestigious college tourney in the country. The CIT isn't even the second best. Again, great for the young kids & I hope we win, but this is basically a pre-season tourney played at the tail-end of the year to prep for next season.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Your making illogical jumps. You might not go to the National Championship, but you'd pay attention to it. Everyone does. It's got the country's hottest teams playing in most prestigious college tourney in the country. The CIT isn't even the second best. Again, great for the young kids & I hope we win, but this is basically a pre-season tourney played at the tail-end of the year to prep for next season.
Sam - diminish it all you want. The vast majority of the Herd fanbase, and especially the 6000 + folks who will attend the game tonite do not share your view imho. Go Herd!! Let's win this thing...

All I know is I have really enjoyed watching my team play these extra games. Should be an awesome atmosphere in the Cam tonite. If you win a tournament, should you be able to cut down the nets?

Weren't the opening rounds their own "classic" ?
2nd round of the bracket resulted in a bye.
Now its a tournament with a final game?

Its like the creators tried to use as many college basketball buzzwords as possible in this thing.

I wonder if 429 and GoHerdYes will donate? Just kidding gentlemen, just kidding. That is sort of a shocker.

I donate regularly to the BG.
I may not agree with it, but if they players want it and its felt to be best spent on it, I'll be the first to support them.
I will say a championship in anything is better than a Sweet 16 appearance...and worth a ring.

and you're making my point for me. TRUE fans of ANY school will "pay attention" to what their respective school is doing in any competitive arena, being athletics or academics and even alumnus. Hell, i found myself watching and cheering for a University of Georgia (My home school) cornhole team on tv the other day. I'm not saying a person needs to be a die hard, fanatical fan and get season tickets to EVERY sport. what i AM saying is you should be proud of your school for ANYTHING that happens good. What sold Jannson on Marshall was the strong "tradition" & sense of "Family" get gets from the school. It's what sold me on it as well, but After reading a few of these message boards over the past couple of years, it is rather obvious to me the some of this Marshall family must be adopted and don't truly bleed green. (I meant no disrespect to anyone who has been adopted)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT