ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson Center Banners

Not at all, who said anything about that? Come on man.
Not everyone wanted it but the staff, team and about core 4K fans did. Looks like that was the correct call all along. We're making money each game to boot. Pretty simple conclusion on this one.

Hey, let 'em. If they want it, I can't stand in the way. I don't agree with it but of course I'll watch.

I will ask...if a major support for this is the added home game and revenue from ticket sales, why does everyone complain when MU hosts an FCs school im football?

Weren't the opening rounds their own "classic" ?

Now its a tournament with a final game?

Its like the creators tried to use as many college basketball buzzwords as possible in this thing.

These people are selling a product. Which is an NCAA permission slip to keep playing. It found 13 takers this year, last year it was 10, it is whatever number will buy in. Then they normalize it into a "tournament" with byes. It names some, but not all, of the first round games as "classics" purporting to honor various coaches, living and dead, none of who seem to have any association with the matters.

More broadly, it is a click-baity website about "mid-major basketball" publishing a "mid-major Top 25 (which, BTW, CUSA is not considered "mid-major" in that poll) and featuring freelance writers on non power basketball, including DII and below. They give out no fewer than 18 awards, again named for various people who seem to have no relationship with the matters, for various aspects of coach and player of the year.

As far as I can see, these people are out a few trophies, some web charges, whatever it pays it writers and rent on a banquet room at some Holiday Inn Express in Minnesota for its awards ceremony. How do I get a deal like that?

At the end of the day, leaving out quibbles due to automatic bids from low conferences to the NCAAs and NIT, this is a battle for 117th. (68 NCAA + 32 NIT + 16 CBI) . 117th out of 443 is not bad. It is not great either.

BTW, the assertion that 6000 will attend is delusional.

and you're making my point for me. TRUE fans of ANY school will "pay attention" to what their respective school is doing in any competitive arena, being athletics or academics and even alumnus. Hell, i found myself watching and cheering for a University of Georgia (My home school) cornhole team on tv the other day. I'm not saying a person needs to be a die hard, fanatical fan and get season tickets to EVERY sport. what i AM saying is you should be proud of your school for ANYTHING that happens good. What sold Jannson on Marshall was the strong "tradition" & sense of "Family" get gets from the school. It's what sold me on it as well, but After reading a few of these message boards over the past couple of years, it is rather obvious to me the some of this Marshall family must be adopted and don't truly bleed green. (I meant no disrespect to anyone who has been adopted)
No, I'm not. You're all over the place. And you're taking it personal because your step-kid plays for MU. How am I not proud? By being realistic on what this tourney really is? Again, I hope they win & it's great our younger players are getting playing time. But we made the NCAA tourney last year. Following that up with the CIT isn't exactly something to brag about.

No, I'm not. You're all over the place. And you're taking it personal because your step-kid plays for MU. How am I not proud? By being realistic on what this tourney really is? Again, I hope they win & it's great our younger players are getting playing time. But we made the NCAA tourney last year. Following that up with the CIT isn't exactly something to brag about.

Then we can be like gentlemen and agree to disagree. you would vote not to hang a banner. I would vote yes. Either way....go Herd !!!

Hey, let 'em. If they want it, I can't stand in the way. I don't agree with it but of course I'll watch.

I will ask...if a major support for this is the added home game and revenue from ticket sales, why does everyone complain when MU hosts an FCs school im football?

Can’t help you there. I don’t care playing a FCS school. It’s not like it’s gonna kill our A Bowl chance.

Basically same as a 6-6 team getting into a bowl. It’s all about the spin and how it’s perceived.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
A lot of 6-6 teams save Coaches' butts by winning a sub-par football Bowl game. TOO MANY BOWLS BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: Elkview
Looking for a win tonight.....and I think the Herd gets it. The problem with this team...they appeared to have grossly underachieved on the season. But did they? There was some minor preseason national media recognition. I didn’t see one NCAA bracket prediction that had our name penciled in during the preseason. I don’t remember if we received one preseason vote for the top 25..AP or Coaches Poll. I don’t think that happened. But I do remember that several people on this site questioned some of the bold predictions that were being made about the team and how we would end up this year. It all started after the NCAA tournament...the season to end all seasons. Anybody that didn’t agree just didn’t like Coach Dan. In the end that small...questioning, cautious group ended up being right. The CIT championship game...that’s where we are and in the end the best that could be achieved. Under achieving team or about right. I say about right....and champions of the CIT tonight.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
and you're making my point for me. TRUE fans of ANY school will "pay attention" to what their respective school is doing in any competitive arena, being athletics or academics and even alumnus. Hell, i found myself watching and cheering for a University of Georgia (My home school) cornhole team on tv the other day. I'm not saying a person needs to be a die hard, fanatical fan and get season tickets to EVERY sport. what i AM saying is you should be proud of your school for ANYTHING that happens good. What sold Jannson on Marshall was the strong "tradition" & sense of "Family" get gets from the school. It's what sold me on it as well, but After reading a few of these message boards over the past couple of years, it is rather obvious to me the some of this Marshall family must be adopted and don't truly bleed green. (I meant no disrespect to anyone who has been adopted)

The problem is...well with this place...
There isn't a very accepted or universally defined "TRUE FAN" term.

You have one sect who go with the flow and often see things optimistically moreso than pessimistically. They root for the team to win, regardless of how bad they may look or be. A win is a win and thats what matters.

You then have another sect where people are critical of MU or a coach or players. They often pick out the problems the team has/shows. They'll often say it is not good enough for MU to get where it should be and use it to prove MU isn't at the top.

One says, "You're NOT a real fan because all you do its complain."
Another says, "I am a real fan BECAUSE I am critical of the programs."

Nonetheless there is also biased opinions based on personal experiences as well...you also have just overall dislikes for certain sports and coaches...but the overall element is there.

I know Jannson, he's a great guy and has really developed into an integral part of the basketball team. I will always root for him because of his character and also the set up alley-oop dunks he slams down are just awesome.

I gotta ask. You're in GA...do the people there just cheer for who's winning and use the lame assed excuse, "I'm cheering for the state!"
Or do they actually have a pair unlike WVians and stick with GT or UGA regardless of who is winning?

Reactions: herdinatl
The problem is...well with this place...
There isn't a very accepted or universally defined "TRUE FAN" term.

You have one sect who go with the flow and often see things optimistically moreso than pessimistically. They root for the team to win, regardless of how bad they may look or be. A win is a win and thats what matters.

You then have another sect where people are critical of MU or a coach or players. They often pick out the problems the team has/shows. They'll often say it is not good enough for MU to get where it should be and use it to prove MU isn't at the top.

One says, "You're NOT a real fan because all you do its complain."
Another says, "I am a real fan BECAUSE I am critical of the programs."

Nonetheless there is also biased opinions based on personal experiences as well...you also have just overall dislikes for certain sports and coaches...but the overall element is there.

I know Jannson, he's a great guy and has really developed into an integral part of the basketball team. I will always root for him because of his character and also the set up alley-oop dunks he slams down are just awesome.

I gotta ask. You're in GA...do the people there just cheer for who's winning and use the lame assed excuse, "I'm cheering for the state!"
Or do they actually have a pair unlike WVians and stick with GT or UGA regardless of who is winning?

Thank you for those kind words about him. People down here are either uga or they are tech. it's brutal. That football game is promoted as "Clean old fashion hate".

There are some person(s) in this thread who can eat a bag of dicks. I enjoyed the tournament very much. When I was in school at Marshall Dwight Freeman was the coach. So, this was enjoyable. What was not to like? They played all the games at home. It was exciting. Gave the seniors a way to go out and made the ending of the season better. Got the younger guys experience and put a trophy in the case. I liked it.

Thank you for those kind words about him. People down here are either uga or they are tech. it's brutal. That football game is promoted as "Clean old fashion hate".
You have a core of wvu fans and a core of MU fans.
The rest are kinda gutless spineless cowards. They go for winners prior to seasons. Usually if their teams lose to save face they say, "I'm cheering the opposite team because I'm cheering for the state!"
Which, as I expected, would probably get you tons of weird looks from real football states.

Yeah I was there and the crowd size surprised me. I’ll say 6,150 and they were loud.

Saw where Sad Sam (who has lost his internet voice temporarily) thought I was delusional to think there would be 6000 in attendance tonite. Damn - he was right......somewhere between 6500-7000...sorry buddy, you’re wrong again!! Thanks for playing....
I had to watch on-line. But, to me this was a championship game. I was like coach herdman. Some moments I sounded like Billy Graham and others like Bobby Knight. I like that feeling.

Last edited:
W-S you are right. Sam take some time off and rest your weary finger/s. One thing Sam - Marshall won the College Insider Tournament. Go Herd!

Saw where Sad Sam (who has lost his internet voice temporarily) thought I was delusional to think there would be 6000 in attendance tonite. Damn - he was right......somewhere between 6500-7000...sorry buddy, you’re wrong again!! Thanks for playing....
He just realized that he has been a little wrong about pretty much everything in this tourney, that's all lol Maybe guys will stop judging other schools with preconceived notions from 20 years ago going forward. We got it all from every team we played, we earned this banner.

W

R

O

N

G

Five Thousand, Seven Hundred, Forty-Eight.

Why argue about things that are that are officially reported and printed in the morning paper? You look foolish.

But I do remember that several people on this site questioned some of the bold predictions that were being made about the team and how we would end up this year.

Anybody that didn’t agree just didn’t like Coach Dan.

In the end that small...questioning, cautious group ended up being right.

This.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
About half of the capacity of the Henderson Center comes from the general admission bleachers in the rafters, where every 8" represents capacity for one potential ass.

The visual difference between a crowd of 7,000 and 9,000 is almost non-existent, save for the inter-dimensional rifts and wormholes that emerge, caused by violating the laws of physics, making two bodies occupy the same space at the same time.

Green Bay had some good athletes. They just played helter skelter mostly.
Yep, they were pretty good. I expected them to be hit and miss though from what I saw against Texas Southern. To their credit, they did take out ETSU in Johnson City, who was in the top 3 or 4 of a pretty good Southern conference this year. I would call this game our second best win, first would be either ODU or Hofstra. I see it as our second (and not third or fourth) best due to the domination the last 13 minutes of the game. Imagine if we had played like that all year...

Side note: We almost ended up in this league if our football would have gone to CUSA in 2000 or 2001, don't recall the exact year..

About half of the capacity of the Henderson Center comes from the general admission bleachers in the rafters, where every 8" represents capacity for one potential ass.

The visual difference between a crowd of 7,000 and 9,000 is almost non-existent, save for the inter-dimensional rifts and wormholes that emerge, caused by violating the laws of physics, making two bodies occupy the same space at the same time.
True, I attended the Hofstra game, there was over 7000 there, and at that it looked almost full, very good atmosphere. Marshall has potential to be an elite mid major, we have the crowd size when we are winning, we have the arena size (i know sam, i know lol) to house the crowd. Pieces are in place to be that, who knows what it would take to become it though. Good defense and rebounding, like we did in this tourney is a start. Winning obviously is the after effect. Funny, on the other paid board, i mentioned this very thing as a necessary aspect to fix our issues, then we started doing it and started winning again, go figure.. it appears that Dan is recruiting for this aspect now, time will tell.

This is true, the building can’t really SEAT the listed capacity. Not in WV :D

He just realized that he has been a little wrong about pretty much everything in this tourney.

Wrong about what?

I, and most others who know basketball, said that this was a pay-to-play tournament, for #117. It was.

I, and most others who know basketball, said that we had drawn a solid true mid major in IUPUI, and we were lucky to win. We were. Then we got a week off between playing two bus and gym league teams from tiny conferences far below CUSA's level, which we were supposed to beat. It was and we did.

Then I, and most others who know basketball, said that we had another legit mid-major which was a solid matchup. For three-fourths of the game, it was. We beat two mid-majors from CUSA level conferences and two bus and gym league teams with pennies to spend where we have dollars.

This contrasts with the rah-rah crowd who just tried to shut down all basketball conversation with "one time we got hot from a 4th place league finish and it might happen again." Which is the basketball analysis version of "so you are sayin' there is a chance." It was nothing. It did nothing to further the deep alalysis that this flawed program needs to get moving in the right direction. It empowred and accepted losing.

Next year, basketball starts in November, not March, every game matters and losing is unacceptable. Be there. Aloha.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Yep, they were pretty good. I expected them to be hit and miss though from what I saw against Texas Southern. To their credit, they did take out ETSU in Johnson City, who was in the top 3 or 4 of a pretty good Southern conference this year. I would call this game our second best win, first would be either ODU or Hofstra. I see it as our second (and not third or fourth) best due to the domination the last 13 minutes of the game. Imagine if we had played like that all year...

Side note: We almost ended up in this league if our football would have gone to CUSA in 2000 or 2001, don't recall the exact year..
As it turned out the Horizon didn't accept us. It was well known that CUSA would take as as an all sport school as soon as an opening occurred. The Horizon knew that and didn't want us knowing we would use them while we needed them.
Had that happened, I believe we would be in the AAC today. That extra time to be in the old CUSA would have made us more of a member of the good old boys club and an invite with the others that formed the AAC

Reactions: beefcake0520
As it turned out the Horizon didn't accept us. It was well known that CUSA would take as as an all sport school as soon as an opening occurred. The Horizon knew that and didn't want us knowing we would use them while we needed them.
Had that happened, I believe we would be in the AAC today. That extra time to be in the old CUSA would have made us more of a member of the good old boys club and an invite with the others that formed the AAC
Possibly, not sure it would have mattered though, look at USM and UAB. If we were ambitious enough to get that budget up (at that time our budget was BAD) to at least the level of ECU, we would been riding shotgun with ECU to the AAC. I am not sure that IS the reason why we didn't get the call (maybe we did and just couldn't afford the move, who knows really other than Hamrick), but I bet it played into it. Heck, I would have stuck basketball etc in any league that would have taken them for a few years just to get the start we needed in CUSA at that time. Big South, Patriot, whatever as long as the ball would have got rolling.

Wrong about what?

I, and most others who know basketball, said that this was a pay-to-play tournament, for #117. It was.

I, and most others who know basketball, said that we had drawn a solid true mid major in IUPUI, and we were lucky to win. We were. Then we got a week off between playing two bus and gym league teams from tiny conferences far below CUSA's level, which we were supposed to beat. It was and we did.

Then I, and most others who know basketball, said that we had another legit mid-major which was a solid matchup. For three-fourths of the game, it was. We beat two mid-majors from CUSA level conferences and two bus and gym league teams with pennies to spend where we have dollars.

This contrasts with the rah-rah crowd who just tried to shut down all basketball conversation with "one time we got hot from a 4th place league finish and it might happen again." Which is the basketball analysis version of "so you are sayin' there is a chance." It was nothing. It did nothing to further the deep alalysis that this flawed program needs to get moving in the right direction. It empowred and accepted losing.

Next year, basketball starts in November, not March, every game matters and losing is unacceptable. Be there. Aloha.
so basketball finished near the top 25 or 30% of the D1 programs. I guess it is the best sport Marshall has right now. Just for comparison, oh say football, that would put football in the Top 35 or so. Are we top 35 in football?

This also included quite a few deserving squads, ETSU, Drake etc. There were more of those and less of the sub .500, all in how you look at it I guess.
Deserving by whose standards? And they could have paid up and played if they felt like they deserved it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT